Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: A New Direction...

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma

A New Direction...

This is the start of the continuing saga of my training. The previous year can be found in my previous journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...?threadid=2395

This journal coincides with the beginning of my sports performance training program tailored for hockey (power, explosiveness, strength, anaerobic conditioning) and under the guidance of an awesome new trainer that I found.

My progress will be mainly notated in my workout book at the training facility so what is posted here will be mainly an overview of each day, some observations, etc.

So here we go...

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

Good luck baby!

I'm guessing you will get to the actual program and list it when you can.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Way below radar
    Before my first workout, I did a series of tests: strength, speed, quickness, balance, flexibility, vertical jump, etc. and a series of body measurements: height/weight, body fat, etc. Based on this data and my goals, my trainer put together a program for me. We will begin with a few weeks of "base" training, to focus on form (esp in the Olympic lifts and dynamic movements), to do some pre-hab on my shoulders, and generally to adapt to the new training regimen.

Day 1: weigh in, 5 min. warm up on the treadmill, followed by some dynamic stretching including some shoulder rotation, body weight snatch squats (with a broomstick raised overhead), and glute-ham raises.

Next we moved on to power cleans. Starting from the floor, I worked on each stage of the movement, first finding my stance, getting the bar to waist level and then dropping it (all of these movements are done on a lifting platform, so you just drop the bar and let it bounce at the end of a lift...pretty cool). After that, we went on to high pulls. My trainer is a stickler on form, so here we were mainly working on getting all the technical stuff right and getting a feel for the correct movements. Next workout we'll go to the full power clean. Sets of 5 reps.

Jammer extension: Another dynamic movement done on the jammer machine. Basically, you use your whole body, starting from a squat position, rocking back, and then exploding upwards and forwards while pushing the handles of the machine up and out. It's a full body movement...that I could feel. Sets of 5 reps.

Squat: First of the strength movements. Today I did front squats, again focusing on proper stance, grip, and perfect form. I have mechanical difficulties w/squats due to my body proportions (short torso, long legs. etc.) so we're figuring out what works for me. These were done in sets of 10.

Incline press: Another strength movement. Incline press translates more to hockey/other contact sports where you are generally pushing upwards rather than straight out (like when you check someone in hockey or make a block in football). Grip is relatively narrow (slightly wider than shoulder width and the bar is brought down to the collarbone. Sets of 10.

Prehab movements: For my crappy shoulders .
    Lateral raises and rear delt. flye. Next time it will be some sort of L-flyes and another rotational movement. Sets of 10.

Auxiliary exercises:
    Bicep curls w/ DB's, tricep pressdown w/ rope, each done in sets of 10, ab/ball curls, 2 sets of 20.

Streching, weigh out, drink amount of water based on lbs. lost during the workout...you can't leave until you get the water in you.

With all the "teaching" going on about form/correcting form, etc., this workout took about 2 hours. It should speed up a little as I master the dynamic lifts.

It is SO great to work out with this guy...knowledgeable, experienced, great at explanations/demonstrations, critique, encouragement...I learned so much just listening and watching, let alone doing.

Looking forward to Friday's workout It will be the same general structure--dynamic movements, strength movements, prehab, aux---but with some different exercises. In a few weeks we'll add a day of running stuff too.
    Last edited by IceRgrrl; 07-01-2002 at 05:59 PM.

--Robert Frost

bone crusher

bone crusher
    this looks like the first good trainer i've read about on WBB

Snatch squats? The Jammer machine? I need a smoke after reading your first workout. Looks like this guy has you doing some good things.

I'm not a huge fan of full body workouts but we'll see how the dynamic movements increase your strength. Twice a week should be fine but more than that and it could get to be a bit much. But I guess we'll see how things go.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Way below radar
    Well it's sports training and most things you do in sports you do with your whole body, so it makes sense for the dynamic stuff.

If I go to 3 days in the fall, then we'll split up the exercises a little more.

doc: This guy has been a strength/conditioning coach at D1 universities, was a coach for the US weightlifting team at the Atlanta Olympics, worked with pro football players and other pro athletes...he definitely knows his stuff! The nutrition info/guidelines he gave me came from the Buffalo Sabres....cool.

--Robert Frost

Originally posted by ElPietro
    I need a smoke after reading your first workout.
    LMAO at LP

Looks like your kickin some ass there girl Keep up the good work!

Thats awesome stuff! He sounds like he really knows his ****! Keep up the awesome work chica your kicking some azz!
    WHEN LIFE ****S YOU IN THE ASS, YOU GOTTA JUST TURN IT AROUND AND **** IT RIGHT BACK!!!!!! - ME

I am a fatass thank you very much! LOL

Bodylicious Babe

My max bench is @110 x 8

Way below radar
    Thanks, Celestial, Allie, El P, doc...

Well, the day after Monday's workout I could feel it in a bunch of places...my traps and upper back were sore and though my legs weren't actually sore, I could feel that they had worked.

Tuesday: 40 min. easy run, on the treadmill in the laundry room while enjoying the miracle of A/C...with the heat index over 100, there was no way I was going to run outside! The run warmed everything up and stretching afterwards loosened everything up.

--Robert Frost

Way below radar
    Thursday: 2 mile run, early a.m. before it got too hot.

--Robert Frost

Ice-- make sure to keep the specifics posted. I'm very interested in what he's got you doing.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Yeah get yer ass back in the gym. Enough of this frou-frou running crap!

If you want something to do in the morning take up golf, it is way better.
    Last edited by ElPietro; 07-04-2002 at 11:34 AM.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Originally posted by ElPietro
    Yeah get yer ass back in the gym. Enough of this frou-frou running crap!

If you want something to do in the morning take up golf, it is way better.
    I agree with the first part. What's up with the running?

But as for the second part.... golf?? tuttut
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Haha, I know she will ignore the first part and I only put in the golf part because she hates it.

She demands that she runs for some reason. I think she actually likes it, and plans on running a marathon of some kind, which means she'll need to prepare.

And don't be hating on golf Alex! It is good...just not that good for anything physical...well I guess walking is better than nothing...and there are hills and stuff.

Current FFFA Enforcer

bone crusher
    golf is for homos

err.. wait golf is ace

Way below radar
    Golf is facking boring...if I want to go for a walk, I'll go for a walk without having to follow a little white ball around while dodging old people in funny clothes

And I like running. I enjoy it. It's fun, cathartic, meditative, invigorating...

--Robert Frost

Way below radar
    Day 2:
    Weigh in/5 min. warm-up on the treadmill, warm-up exercises (shoulder rotations, bodyweight snatch squats, glute-ham raises).

Dynamic exercises
    Plyo sled:
    It looks like a horizontal leg press sled except that the resistance is provided by big rubber band-like things that tie the sled to the bottom position. I started with legs almost fully extended, feet in the middle of the platform, then lowered myself into a 1/4 to 1/2-squat position and "jumped" backwards as far as I could against the resistance, then caught myself on the platform on the return only to explode back into the next jump. Feet touch the platform only long enough to launch again. Three sets of 8 reps.

Jammer rotation:
    Hard to describe b/c this was done on the jammer machine (same machine as the jammer extensions from Monday's Day 1 workout). It basically involved starting in a semi-squat position while gripping the handgrip with both hands, leaning back slightly and stepping forward into the a forward rotational motion while rotating the hips/torso forward and extending the arms up and out fully to end above the head. This is done explosively and all in one quick motion. The power developed here would translate well to a slapshot, a golf-swing, or a cross-body punch. My feet begin in a position perpendicular to the motion and end up pointing in the direction of the ending position, just like with shooting in hockey. Three sets of 5 reps.

Strength movements:
    Incline press:
    2 sets of 9 reps/8 reps. I was going for 10 on all three...when I failed, my trainer would give me the slightest assist past the sticking point and I finished the rep.

Front squat:
    Still working on my mechanical issues (damn long legs get in the way). Found a good grip for me that felt really effortless, so that was quite helpful. 2 sets of 10.

Assisted pullups:
    Wider overhand grip. 2 sets of 10/8.

Prehab exercises:
    External rotation: Done with resistance band. 2 sets of 10.
    Internal rotation: Resistance band again. 2 sets of 10.
    Side laterals (w/"thumb down" rotation at the top): 2 sets of 10
    Rear delt flyes: Done while lying face down on incline bench. 2 sets of 10

Auxiliary:
    Tricep pressdowns (rope): 2 sets of 10
    DB bicep curls: 2 sets of 10

Abs:
    medicine ball "reach for the stars"...I start by lying with knees bent, medicine ball held up directly over my face. Using abs, raise upper body off the floor and touch ball to trainer's hand which is held over me as the "target."

Stretch, weigh out, drink water, done
    Last edited by IceRgrrl; 07-06-2002 at 06:39 AM.

--Robert Frost

bone crusher
    looks intense icerrr

curious though, ask him why he uses high reps for strength development (typically this is the range known to maximize muscle hypertrophy) instead of low reps to maximize neuromuscular adaptaion. Powerlifters (which desire the explosive strength that it appears your training for) train in this low rep range.

I of course am not saying he is wrong, but want to know why this is the case.

Way below radar
    doc, I'm starting out with two weeks of "base" training to adapt to the new workout, focus on form, and get ready for the next phase. Rep scheme and weight will change soon, believe me.

Also, this phase is designed to work on my weak points---my shoulders, definitely--but also feeling out my lower back and knee (old hockey injuries). One thing I really like about this guy is that he is thorough and methodical. which is good for me b/c I tend to overdo/push too hard too quickly.

--Robert Frost

bone crusher
    ahhh i see, makes sense now.

as for us hooking up, woman of my dreams, when can i look foward to this?

hehehe
    Last edited by the doc; 07-06-2002 at 09:19 AM.

Looks like a cool program so far. I know it's so much better if you have a trainer pushing you. Seems like you are going to do well under him. I hope you are having fun with it. Also, look forward to you hopefully posting weight lifted, to watch you progress, once you've finished with your adjustment phase.

I'm sure next time I see you, YOU'LL be throwing ME around!

Keep things going...I know stuff is interfering right now, but I'll brook no training irregularities once your "excuses" have gone back home.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Way below radar
    doc, you're just toying with me b/c you know I have a thing for intelligent men

El P: Actually, my workouts are scheduled for Mondays and Fridays through the month of July, so I'm right on plan. This is what worked out for me and the trainer right now due to the class I'm teaching and some other stuff that I have planned this month (houseguests, coaching at a girls' hockey camp, etc.).

To recap the weekend...
    Saturday: 4 mile run

Sunday: rest

Diet: Surprisingly good despite being at grandma's house with a whole bunch of relatives. The only bad moment was when I found that there was nothing but soy milk in the fridge after I had a bowl of cereal all ready after my run. So I ate it dry(!) while all my very vocal relatives kept urging me to "just try the soy milk...it's good!" Finally, I just yelled "I DON'T WANT SOY MILK...I'M ALMOST DONE WITH THE CEREAL, DAMMIT!" and they gave up and went back to having four different simultaneous conversations. I think volume is the only way to deal with them sometimes...

This afternoon is another Day 1 workout that will be posted later

--Robert Frost

Originally posted by IceRgrrl
    The only bad moment was when I found that there was nothing but soy milk in the fridge after I had a bowl of cereal all ready after my run. So I ate it dry(!) while all my very vocal relatives kept urging me to "just try the soy milk...it's good!" Finally, I just yelled "I DON'T WANT SOY MILK...I'M ALMOST DONE WITH THE CEREAL, DAMMIT!"
    Having been forced on a few occasions to use soy milk on my cereal, I can honestly say it's not that bad. I wouldn't use the stuff by choice, mind you, but it does fulfill two of the three requirements of milk: it's wet and it's cold. Doesn't really taste like much of anything. Drinking it isn't something I see myself doing--though in my youth I was cajoled into doing so by my reformed hippie dad--but on cereal it's quite tolerable. Well, it's better than eating it dry, anyways.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Way below radar
    If it was vanilla or chocolate soy milk, then I may have given it a try in a pinch...but I had just finished running and was looking forward to a bowl of cereal and milk, and the plain soy milk was just not going to do it for me. Then add the peer pressure on top of it and that just meant I was going to dig in and resist even more...LOL!
    Last edited by IceRgrrl; 07-08-2002 at 12:15 PM.

--Robert Frost