Thread: Help Dispute My Grade For Personal Fitness On My Diet Analysis!

Help Dispute My Grade For Personal Fitness On My Diet Analysis!

Hi everyone,
    I just got back my grade for analyzing my diet for my personal fitness class. I was given a 50% on it and the comments she left were saying that I was getting too much protein that I could be harming my body and things along those lines. The problem I have is that she had recommended diet % saying that we should get 10-15% of calories from protein, while the program that we used recommended that I get 10-35% of my calories from protein. It calculated that I had 28% of my calories from protein so according to the program and my goals of adding weight and gaining muscle, I thought this would be fine. I will post my analysis worksheet we filled out according to the program, along with her graded comments.

Also by her saying that I am not getting enough carbohydrates to fuel exercise doesn't really make sense to me based on percentage of my calories. If I am eating over maintenance at say 3500 calories and getting 40% of my calories from carbs that is 1400 carb calories. But for someone who is losing weight and eating 2000 calories a day, they would need to get 70% of their calories from carbs to get the same total amount to fuel exercise.

So basically, I know there are a lot smarter people here than me when it comes to this stuff. Is my professor right, or can I argue this because it actually took a lot of work and I thought I would do well on it.

She also attached this article: http://www.osaa.org/wrestling/owwmp/eat.pdf recommending I read it to learn about the subject.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Current Maxes: (May 2009)
    Bench: 275 | Squat: 355 | Clean: 240 | Deadlift: 455 | Body Weight-205lbs
    "When you know Squat about lifting, you know the important part."

Just read that.
    The professor seems like a real bitch. Maybe she has it out for you,
    Best lifts: 245kg deadlift, 162kg Front Squat, 145kg bench, 105kg log press, 250kg yoke carry, 115kg farmers, No. 2.5 Captains of crush

Keep in mind academia isn't perfect. Some people get a certain level of training and then don't continue to grow. Her approach seems lost in the 80's, maybe early 90's. Also keep in mind many nutrition and medical experts are taught more about normal and disease but never optimal. So yeah, maybe someone who wants to keep their same skinny fit body might need less protein, but it seems that most strength athletes need more and really 28% isn't that crazy.

I'm not sure you are going to win this fight without good studies to back you because my fear is she is locked in her beliefs instead of opening to learning new information. In my field I use my knowledge base as a place to evaluate my beliefs but I'm always open to new approaches and thinking.

You might go to her with a few questions.

What studies support 30% of protein is dangerous to the body and if so how and in what population? If she shows you a study that 30% protein is harmful in kidney dialysis patients, it probably doesn't apply to you.

What does 40% of my calories from carbs mean in regards to performance? How do you measure performance on that? 40% calorie diet in carbs and up might make sense for a long distance athlete doing lots of volume. It may not be as essential for someone trying to build strength or apply to someone in a power sport.

High protein gives heart attacks?

Your teacher (I'm not even going to dignify her with professor) is a flat-out idiot.

My guess is, like someone said, she's probably a runner or very light lifter who has no idea how bodybuilders/powerlifters operate, or how their dietary needs differ.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

Do you understand that the second you
    look in the mirror and you're happy with
    what you see, baby, you just
    lost the battle!

Understand that this is a fight you won't win. Part of schooling is learning to regurgitate what you are taught and how to walk the party line. Believe me. Several doctorate-level courses on nutrition, and I'm still shaking my head. Being right won't always win battles.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

As others have said you really can't win this one. In Academia the Professor is God, and pissing of the professor will only make things worse for you. Speaking from experience, let this one go. You know what the professor is looking for next time.

That aside I find it funny that some nutritionists think we should have mostly carbs and very little protein and fat. I think people forget that our bodies didn't evolve with processed carbs (that includes bread, rice etc.).
    Best Gym Lifts:
    475 - 315 - 585

Best Meet Lifts (220 Raw)
    435 - 295 - 555 (1285)

Understand that this is a fight you won't win. Part of schooling is learning to regurgitate what you are taught and how to walk the party line.
    This.

I attended a seminar just this weekend and was preached to about protein turn over rates and how it's important to eat every 3 hours. Basically some educators are stuck in their ways and getting into an argument with them isn't going to help anything.

Yea I'm glad you guys said that I shouldn't try to fight it. I don't want to piss her off with still quite a bit left in the semester. I am still going to ask her why her percentages on the worksheet differed so much from the program we used and explain that that is why I thought mine were fine.
    Current Maxes: (May 2009)
    Bench: 275 | Squat: 355 | Clean: 240 | Deadlift: 455 | Body Weight-205lbs
    "When you know Squat about lifting, you know the important part."

Yep, smart move. But also think of this as an opportunity to truly learn WHY the guidelines are as they are. Approach everything with the "but why" mentality, and see what their proof is. Nothing short-cuts another's argument like understanding the underpinnings of their position better than they do. Good luck mate, sorry about the grade, but be selfish and think long term.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu

Dr. Subtotal
    IF the class's majority of the grade are multiple choice quizzes/tests, then go ahead and become an absolute nuisance every lecture. Raise questions and utilize peer-reviewed studies at your disposal. The professor cannot tamper with your grade through any means and if he/she does, you can bring about a mandatory review through the department head/faculty senate and other things. If the professor is not tenured, things become even easier for you.

I'm sorry but if you feel that the only purpose of taking this class is to get the grade, then you fail to realize what the student-professor relationship means and the point of academia as a whole. Accountability has to go both ways, both as a student taking the class and the professor delivering the lecture, and I'm sure your student handbook/academic counselor can help you in this regard.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

If only we all had the energy to not have to pick and choose our battles.

Quote Originally Posted by patricky View Post
    Just read that.
    The professor seems like a real bitch. Maybe she has it out for you,
    This.

And LOL'D at her "A2" comment. She has no idea what the fuck she is talking about. She obviously has never heard of ketogenesis.

As for fighting, I personally would. Others suggest you don't, but I feel like you need to stand up for yourself and not let her walk all over you. This negatively affects your grade, and it is unfair. Fight it. If you experience backlash from it, talk to a dean or the President. Guarantee you it will be fixed right up.

As for the teacher, she sounds like a bitch. I'm assuming she's either a fatass or some super skinny jogger?

Quote Originally Posted by BloodandThunder View Post
    I'm sorry but if you feel that the only purpose of taking this class is to get the grade, then you fail to realize what the student-professor relationship means and the point of academia as a whole. Accountability has to go both ways, both as a student taking the class and the professor delivering the lecture, and I'm sure your student handbook/academic counselor can help you in this regard.
    Sorry, don't mean to make three posts in a row, but this.

For what it's worth- I don't think she graded you so low because of your diet. It's pretty clear she wanted to see more in-depth analysis. For a few items, you throw out generalizations and aren't clear on specifics- Iron sources, where to get more vegetables from, identifying food sources for polyunsaturated fats etc. Your "analysis" column contains little analysis, it's more of a quick overview.

Honestly, I don't think I would have scored it much higher, even if I agreed with your overall diet.

Dr. Subtotal
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    For what it's worth- I don't think she graded you so low because of your diet. It's pretty clear she wanted to see more in-depth analysis. For a few items, you throw out generalizations and aren't clear on specifics- Iron sources, where to get more vegetables from, identifying food sources for polyunsaturated fats etc. Your "analysis" column contains little analysis, it's more of a quick overview.

Honestly, I don't think I would have scored it much higher, even if I agreed with your overall diet.
    This. Nutrition is not a science that is set in stone and universal until proven otherwise. In a calculus class, there may be more than one method to solve for the derivative, but the answer is the same.

However, things like saying 5 calories for 1 gram of carbohydrates (not that you did this) are examples of where you'd be docked in this type of class. A poor analysis most likely does not meet the demands of the assignment, despite your diet's goals.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

Reading through that document made me rage. I pretty much immediately write somebody off as an idiot if they religiously follow the Governments extremely outdated RDA's.

Apparently your teacher has no idea what glycogen is either.

Not saying it's a good idea, but if it were me, I would be a complete cunt and point out everything wrong in her comments, along with research articles to back my points up.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

As Belial said, picking and choosing your battles is the key to this one. Agree with whatever she says even though you know she is dead wrong. SHE is giving YOU a grade and YOU need that grade not HER. Suck it up and fall into place.

Just KNOW that YOU are right and eat the way YOU know is right. When a test or assignment comes up you give the answers she wants.

You won't win many fights with a teacher like this but you probably shouldn't try anyways. It's a problem of her being uninformed and close minded. I deal with the same thing.

I have people in my family telling me I need to do more cardio and lift weights less if I want to lose weight and that I shouldn't be eating so much protein (specifically in the form of shakes) because I should be focusing on losing weight and not building muscles. I hear it all the time, I know they are dead wrong yet I just do what I know is right.

Lesson of the day: Give your professors the answers they want.