The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Close grip bench

Hey guys, could you critique and check my form on close grip bench please? I maxed out at 305 today, which is a 20 lb PR for me, and I did it after training delts so I could probably have gotten a bit more fresh.
    I did:
    barx10
    135x10
    185x5
    205x5
    225x3
    275x1
    295x1
    305x1

Here is the 295 vid:
    Video

Here is 305:
    Video

And here's some DB shoulder presses with 85s (same workout)

Video

I know the angle is bad on the 305 vid, I only realized it after the lift, sorry

Thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

My only suggestion is that you make the path a straighter one and take the shoulder rotation out of it.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    OK, thank you

Wannabebig Member
    Also just a question, my close grip bench seems to be catching up, or maybe even getting stronger, than my regular bench... a few weeks ago, my close grip max was 285, and regular bench was 300... now I got 305 on close grip, and my last regular benching session I did 242(110kg)x9, so it seems my close grip has gotten as strong as my regular bench?

Wannabebig Member
    Video

315 with regular grip

Chris is right on (as usual) with the rotation, but why are you maxing out on your CG bench like that?

I know that sometimes people use a heavy weight like that to help work their way up to that weight for reps in the future, but in general doing a single rep doesn't actually do anything for you. You increase your risk of injury by using a weight that you can barely handle without getting any real benefit.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be negative, I just don't like to see people get injured. I did max outs when I was younger and ended up getting hurt.
    Last edited by Goin_Big; 11-06-2012 at 12:44 PM. Reason: typo
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin_Big View Post
    Chris is right on (as usual) with the rotation, but why are you maxing out on your CG bench like that?

I know that sometimes people use a heavy weight like that to help work their way up to that weight for reps in the future, but in general doing a single rep doesn't actually do anything for you. You increase your risk of injury by using a weight that you can barely handle without getting any real benefit.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be negative, I just don't like to see people get injured. I did max outs when I was younger and ended up getting hurt.
    Thanks for replying. I agree with you 100%, IMO maxing out doesn't have many benefits, the reason I did it was mainly to determine how much strength I had gained in the past few weeks;

My previous max was 300 on regular bench and 285 on close grip, so I'm happy that I increased my strength a fair bit in only 2 weeks, especially that 3 plates on bench (as you see on my last vid) had been a goal for me for a long time.

Also wanted to add that I usually focus more on setting Rep maxes, for instance on my last bench session, I benched 107.5kg (236.5 lbs) for 11 reps, which is a PR for me at that weight.
    Last edited by Pantera; 11-07-2012 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goin_Big View Post

Actually, max singles are the 100% best way to build absolute strength. So, if he is interested in strength then doing 1RM attempts if your training is properly structured is the best way to do it.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

While I know it can and does happen a lot, I personally cannot think of one time that I injured myself on max singles or even triples with good mornings. I can think of multiple times I have injured myself warming up or doing rep work or once even just placing the bar in the rack (had a back spasm).

Wannabebig Member
    I just got back from benching, got 255x9, guess that's an improvement