Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: lronMan's HST Journal

I agree with CD and B&I, your lats and shoulders are great. Looks like some improvement since your last pics even if there is a little softening in the tummy area.

Keep up the good work and get back at it.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Originally posted by Big-Ron
    good to see your making some renewed effort, took a look at your pics and there is a quality set of foundations, with the diet and training you are following, i feel you could produce some fantastic results, you probably dont need me to tell you this but diet is the key.
    Hey thanks a lot Big-Ron for your support. It is definitely appreciated bro seriously. Looking to seriously lose some fat in the next 6 weeks or so on HST. Well see how things go. Again thanks a lot for your support it means a lot man.

Yeah diet is the key factor in attaining a quality physique. Anyone can workout but not everyone can follow a diet 24 hours per day.

Originally posted by lronMan

... Anyone can workout but not everyone can follow a diet 24 hours per day.
    I think it's an accomplishment to ensure that one workouts consistently all the time as well. Lot's of ppl start and then quit after a few months.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
    Great back, Micky. And great shoulders too.

Good luck with HST.
    Thanks a lot for the comments. I have never gotten any kind of comment at all on my lats at all. I always figured it was one of my weakest bodyparts. B&I commented on it too. Really really makes me feel better, seriously.

Thanks a lot for your support Robboe. Again really really appreciate it. How is cutting coming along for you?

Thanks I am going to stick with HST the full time this time around. Like I said trying to start over here at WBB not binge, not make a million journals (even though I have already done both), and just get my sh!t together ya know?

I'm gonna get off my lazy ass and actually read the article behind it i think. It's about time.
    Yeah man theyre great articles seriously. I really enjoyed reading them myself. Very interesting. I really like the way that Bryan Haycock writes them very easy to understand.
    Last edited by MonStar; 07-06-2002 at 08:52 AM.

Originally posted by rookiebldr
    I agree with CD and B&I, your lats and shoulders are great. Looks like some improvement since your last pics even if there is a little softening in the tummy area.

Keep up the good work and get back at it.
    Really? Wow again thanks a lot!! My lats like I said have always suckd in my eyes. I think they have grown a lot this past year though with underhand chins and bentover rows and lever rows. I think so at least. I have always genetically had pretty wide shoulders.

I am going to get back at it rookiebldr. No matter what it takes! Putting up a pic was great motivation for me. I hadnt been that fat or weighed that much in a long long time. So putting up a motivational pic is going to be something that I look at / think about anytime I want to cheat. That will really help I think.

Did the pic turn out okay or was it dark or blurry or what? It was more clear but too big to post so I had to reduce the file size blurring the quality of the picture.

Originally posted by rookiebldr
    I think it's an accomplishment to ensure that one workouts consistently all the time as well. Lot's of ppl start and then quit after a few months.
    Yeah my girlfriend and almost everyone that I talk to says the same thing. Although I dont really think much of it. Only because I wont ever get out of training. I mean working out itself is so much fun for me its just like a thrill.

Now I am working out with my girlfriend Brittany and it just makes it that much more fun. I look forward to my workouts even more, etc. I workout with her 12 year old brother Matt too so basically if I dont feel like working out I will make myself because I dont want Matt and Brittany to sacrifice ya know?

Thats not even close to the only reason that I continually workout though. The pumps, the muscular contractions, gains in strength, not feeling fat, etc. are all reasons that I love it. And plus it gives my girlfriend a good body to look at. (not now when I am leaned out)

(view a description of my diet by clicking here, view a description of my training by clicking here, view my current HST rep maxes by clicking here, view my before picture by clicking here)

HST CYCLE 1 | MICROCYCLE 1 | DAY 2
    July 6, 2002

Cardio.
    • ----------------------------------------------------------------
      (AM) 20 minutes stationery bike, level 6.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------

Comments.
      Like most of you guys already saw yesterday I posted some before pictures. Damn did I look FAT as ever. I looked so damn fat and so stuipd looking it was just completely disgusting. I almost got myself sick looking at the pictures. It was really just completely revolting.

Anyway like I said I am starting over so I have to be positive that Ill drop the fat, get back into shape, and stick to this HST cycle all the way through no matter what. No matter what it takes I am going to do it.

Feel fat today still. Not really sure whats the matter. I dropped some weight from yesterday but that was without a doubt water weight. I know for a fact simply because my definition is still completely blurred. Such a shame.

Diet. Isocaloric Day.
      Meal 1: Myoplex MRP + 1 cup skim milk
      (360 calories, 50g protein, 33g carbs, 3g fat)

Meal 2: 1 slice whole-wheat bread + 2 cups skim milk + 2 tbsp. peanut butter
      (390 calories, 27g protein, 40g carbs, 17g fat)

Meal 3: 1 bag spicey peanuts
      (290 calories, 14g protein, 13g carbs, 21g fat)

Meal 4: cheese on wheat crackers
      (200 calories, 4g protein, 22g carbs, 11g fat)

Meal 5: 1 bag spicey peanuts
      (290 calories, 14g protein, 13g carbs, 21g fat)

Meal 6: beef & vegetable soup
      (130 calories, 8g protein, 23g carbs, 1g fat)

Meal 7: 2 servings whey protein + 1 cup skim milk
      (340 calories, 52g protein, 24g carbs, 4g fat)

Total Calories: 2000
      Total (g) Protein: 169g - 33%
      Total (g) Carbs: 168g - 33%
      Total (g) Fat: 78g - 34%

Calories were completely right on today. But somehow my f*cking protein intake was too low. This really pissed me off big time I think. Need my protein a little higher and my carbs a little lower. Thats my opinion at least. Completely isocaloric though which was good.

Pain/Soreness.
      Not really sore today. Hamstrings are a little sore but nothing too big of a deal at all. Actually feel good to be honest. Still feel like a fat blimp obviously but feel good I think.

Sleep.
      Last night I got 7 hours of sleep. Again only 7 hours. Would like to get 8 but I have no problem with 7 at all. Woke up once for some reason, not sure why.

Supplements.
    • 5g glutamine (+ 1 Lipodryl & 250 mg. usnic acid) precardio
    • multi-vitamin/mineral 2x today
    • 1g vitamin C 3x today
    • 400 IU vitamin E 3x today
    • 1 Calcium Complete 3x today
    • 1 Lipodryl 2x today
    • 250 mg. usnic acid 2x today
    • 6 mg. melatonin + 5g glutamine before bed

Training.
      Rest.

Training Length.
      N/A.

Water.
      Took in a lot today, need to really keep it up.

Weight.
      First thing in the morning, without clothes, after using the restroom, I weighed 206 lbs. Good weight in my eyes. Down something like 7.5 lbs. from yesterday - and I refed yesterday. Now that really really doesnt make any sense at all I am completely confused. Oh well cant complain I guess.
    Last edited by MonStar; 07-08-2002 at 11:30 AM.

Makes sense to me. You can't gain 13 genuine lbs in 2 days.

Originally posted by MarshallPenn
    Makes sense to me. You can't gain 13 genuine lbs in 2 days.
    Really? Did you see my pics Marshall (on page 1). Hopefully Ill lose some serious fat on this diet and training program. Well see how things go. Right now I am so f*cking fat its just unreal I mean I cant even stand taking my shirt off to get into the shower. Just feel so damn fat.

Yeah, really. You can't gain 13lbs of fat or muscle in 2 days.

I saw your pics, yes. I've said it before, lose this diet. It's a horrible choice for you.
    Last edited by MarshallPenn; 07-06-2002 at 12:09 PM.

Originally posted by MarshallPenn
    Yeah, really. I saw your pics, yes. I've said it before, lose this diet. It's a horrible choice for you.
    I dont think so but we definitely have a difference of opinion when it comes to diet so its all good. I think that this diet will work extremely well for me but then again thats just my opinion like I said. Well see how things go.

Hopefully HST will workout okay for me.

bone crusher
    best wishes for success monstar/ironman

Member of the 1200 Club Johnny Vegas's Avatar
    Have you assessed your goals specifically? I think it's great that you get a renewed vigor about working out and staying dedicated. That's half the battle. Perhaps when you finish HST we can all powwow and create something specifically geared to YOU and your goals. What are you looking for from your legs, for example? Do you want massive trunks that look scary? Do you want lean legs (not skinny) that are packed with power and explosiveness?

Stick with your HST, we'll stick with you, and when you're all done, we'll blow you up.

Originally posted by the doc
    best wishes for success monstar/ironman
    Hey thanks a lot doc. Really really really appreciate it. Hope youll continue to check out my journal in the future as well bro.

Originally posted by Johnny Vegas
    Have you assessed your goals specifically? I think it's great that you get a renewed vigor about working out and staying dedicated. That's half the battle. Perhaps when you finish HST we can all powwow and create something specifically geared to YOU and your goals. What are you looking for from your legs, for example? Do you want massive trunks that look scary? Do you want lean legs (not skinny) that are packed with power and explosiveness?
    What do you mean have I assessed my goals specifically? I think that HST will work extremely well for me. All of the times that I have given it a run through it worked great. I mean truly great. Fat loss was excellent etc.

What do you mean create something that specifically geared to me and my goals? Training is training in my eyes. I mean the example that you gave with legs seems a little out there. I want lean and explosive strong legs not big blocky ones - but that doesnt mean I should train any different. I mean I am going to be training for hypertrophy and strength regardless. To lean out that comes down to my diet not my training at all I dont think.

What is your opinion on this?

Stick with your HST, we'll stick with you, and when you're all done, we'll blow you up.
    Yeah please stick with me JV.

What is your opinion of HST? Have you ever considered giving it a shot or no? Haha HOW specifically will you "me me up"?

I don't know alot about HST but from what you have said it seems top dollar, (i'll check out the web-page and give it a run through, who knows i might give it a try) but you appear to be clued up on the technical side of it.

As for feeling fat, try not to worry as much and just look at the bigger picture, it takes time to lose fat don't rush it or else you could lose muscle mass as well. Just stay on the training/diet band wagon and be patient, you've got a quality starting point.
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

I don't know alot about HST but from what you have said it seems top dollar, (i'll check out the web-page and give it a run through, who knows i might give it a try) but you appear to be clued up on the technical side of it.
    Yeah man you can check it out for yourself over at http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html I believe the website is. Then there are HST forums as well. I can give you the link to them if you like - http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/.../ikonboard.cgi. The forums are really excellent. Diet guru Lyle McDonald posts over there.

Yeah you should give it a shot bro that would be great. Then really see for yourself what you thought about it.

As for feeling fat, try not to worry as much and just look at the bigger picture, it takes time to lose fat don't rush it or else you could lose muscle mass as well. Just stay on the training/diet band wagon and be patient, you've got a quality starting point.
    Yeah I know I cant be letting the mental side of feeling fat bring me down. I mean I binged on total junk food for days straight and I just have to accept that I am going to feel fat ya know? Anyone that did what I did would feel fat. Without a doubt.

Yeah I am definitely not trying to force any kind of sudden fat loss. Thats why I am doing a CID (Cyclical Isocaloric Diet) to be honest. Seems to work very very well at retaining muscle. As does HST. Yeah exactly Big-Ron honestly what I really need to do is stick to it.
    Last edited by MonStar; 07-07-2002 at 09:10 AM.

(view a description of my diet by clicking here, view a description of my training by clicking here, view my current HST rep maxes by clicking here, view my before picture by clicking here)

HST CYCLE 1 | MICROCYCLE 1 | DAY 3
    July 7, 2002

Cardio.
      (postworkout) 20 minutes treadmill, 3.5 MPH @ a 15% incline.

Comments.
      Feel fat still today but nothing new. Kind of pissed off because I woke up this morning sweaty and just disgusting etc. Really bothered me I think. Oh well its obviously the usnic acid I am taking because I had the fan on high.

Diet. Refeed Day.
      Meal 1: Myoplex MRP + 1 cup skim milk
      (360 calories, 50g protein, 33g carbs, 3g fat)

Meal 2: Pepper Pot soup
      (230 calories, 10g protein, 23g carbs, 10g fat)

Postworkout: 2 servings whey protein + 1/2 serving Cell-Tech
      (420 calories, 44g protein, 55g carbs, 3g fat)

-------------------------Started Refeed------------------------

Meal 4: 2 cups Low-fat Ben & Jerry's ice-cream
      (680 calories, 12g protein, 128g carbs, 8g fat)

Meal 5: Vanilla Coke
      (250 calories, 0g protein, 70g carbs, 0g fat)

Meal 6: 5 cups Cocoa Puffs + 3 cups skim milk
      (890 calories, 29g protein, 181g carbs, 6g fat)

Meal 7: Smart Ones pizza + Gatorade
      (550 calories, 18g protein, 111g carbs, 5g fat)

-------------------------Finished Refeed-----------------------

Meal 8: 2 cups skim milk
      (160 calories, 16g protein, 24g carbs, 1g fat)

Total Calories: 3540
      Total (g) Protein: 179g - 20%
      Total (g) Carbs: 625g - 71%
      Total (g) Fat: 36g - 9%

I didnt go TOO overboard with my refeed tonight calorie or fat wise, however, I did go overboard a little with how long I refed. I was planning on refeeding a solid 3 hours after my workout or whatever. Well today I refed for about 2 hours, and then waited 2 hours and finished my refeed with Gatorade and a Smart Ones pizza.

Little too long in duration but I dont think that will make too much of a difference if you ask me. Protein intake today was a little low but nothing to be upset about. It was around 20% of my calories which is pretty much what I wanted.

Pain/Soreness.
      Not sore today. Still feel as fat as Ricki Lake or some sh!t but oh well. Feel completely soft and flabby and just disgusting.

Sleep.
      Last night I got 8 hours of sleep. Good amount without any interruptions at all. This was a really good thing in my eyes. Hopefully Ill have a great HST workout today.

Supplements.
    • multi-vitamin/mineral 2x today
    • 1g vitamin C 3x today
    • 400 IU vitamin E 3x today
    • 1 Calcium Complete 3x today
    • 1 Lipodryl 1x today
    • 250 mg. usnic acid 2x today
    • 5cc Liquid Clenbutrx preworkout
    • 1/2 serving Cell-Tech + 5g creatine + 5g glutamine peptides + 3g l-arginine + 1g ginger + 500 mg. ALA + 250 mg. Aminogen postworkout
    • 500 mg. ALA halfway through refeed
    • 6 mg. melatonin + 5g glutamine before bed

Training.
      Squats:

260 x 15

Good set of squats today. Really really hit my lower body very hard I think. Breathing was really perfect on this exercise which is what I was sure to pay attention to. Really breathed out hard on the way up. I think this helps seriously. Anyway tough set, but nothing too bad.

Barbell Stiff-legged Deadlifts:

105 x 15

Nice hard set of SLDLs today. Used a mixed grip which is something that I am really not accustomed to. Oh well. Going to have to get accustomed to it if I want to get into some heavy poundages. Hit my hamstrings very very hard. Awesome stretch at the bottom of each rep.

Standing Smith-machine Calf Raises:

220 x 15

Nice set of calf raises today. Really demolished my lower legs completely. Good stretch at the bottom and nice contraction at the top of every rep I think. Good overall set. Calves got a great burn from this one single set.

Flat Barbell Presses:

155 x 15

Nice hard set of flat BB presses today. Really had some excellent pec contractions I think. Nice slow set really feeling the weight out 100%. Really really liked it. Overall set was excellent - pecs got pretty damn pumped from it.

Wide-grip Underhand Chins:

-80 x 15

Good set of chins today. Really really had some great contractions in my back. Fully exausted my lats 100%. Didnt hit failure but actually probably came close just because of how slow I did each rep and how much I really contracted my lats.

Flat Dumbbell Flyes:

20 x 15

Nice set of flyes today!! Hit my pecs very very hard with a good slow set really contracting my pecs completely. Good stretch at the bottom of each rep and nice contraction at the top of each rep. Overall set was excellent really pumped up my pecs with this one set.

Underhand Supported Lever Rows:

130 x 15

Great set of rows today!! Hammered the f*ck outta my lats 100%. Really pulled my elbows back as far as they would possibly go really beating up my lats completely. Overall set was great. Good pump in my back I think. Overall set again was really excellent.

Wide-grip Barbell Upright Rows:

80 x 15

Really good set of upright rows today. Hit my side delts and my traps completely. Really really good overall set. Traps got some good contractions as did my delts. Delts were pretty beat up from this set actually. Nice overall set.

Standing Barbell Curls:

65 x 15

Good set of standing BB curls today. Hit my biceps very very hard with some good contractions. Nice overall set I think. Biceps were pretty pumped from this one set. Good reps - little hard but nothing too bad. Actually a tough burn especially towards the end of the set.

Lying Cambered-bar Extensions:

90 x 15

Nice set of skulls today!! Hit my triceps very very hard. Overall set was great. Lowered the bar down to about my chin area and contracted my triceps hard at the top of the movement. Pump in my triceps was pretty good. Nice lactic acid buildup also.

Standing Barbell Reverse Curls:

50 x 15

Hard set of reverse curls today. Really hit my brachioradialis and my brachialis hard. Biceps were hit hard too. Overall set was good. Hit my arms and forearms hard. Finished off my biceps completely. Great finishing movement for my forearms as well.

Machine Crunches:

115 x 15

Nice set of machine crunches today. Some really really good abdominal contractions. Good set I think. Great way to finish off my second HST workout. Nice lactic acid buildup in my abs I think from this set.

Training Length.
      Lasted 35 minutes today. Might have lasted a little bit less if the gym was less crowded. Definitely not a big deal though flew through this workout.

Water.
      Not enough. Need more tomorrow.

Weight.
      First thing in the morning, without clothes, after using the restroom, I weighed 202 lbs. Actually pretty happy with my decrease in weight from yesterday. Dropped another 4 lbs. haha. I dont know how I am doing this sh!t. Dropped 7.5 lbs. the first day which was a refeed and 4 lbs. the next day.
    Last edited by MonStar; 07-08-2002 at 11:11 AM.

... Put my before picture in the actual post now on Page 1 of my journal - so it will be easier to view / locate.

thanks for the links mike, i think i will wait until i have comlpeted my current cycle before, attempting hst, its sounds extremely promising and i think i'd be foolish not to try it.

One thing about you, how do you manage to take all those supplements yet alone afford them?the list is huge!
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

Wazzup Mike? I saw your pics. Your not totaly flabby and soft. Like others have mentioned great shoulders, nice lats, and arms. You look big bro. The more you lower your bodyfat the better you will look. Lower down to 10% or so and you will look wicked.

I think you know what you need to do to get ripped like you want to be. NO more bullsh*t binges. Keep up the hard work bro and I'm expecting to see a shredded Mike soon.
    "In the grand scheme of things, both things are quite superficial(obsessed with being muscular&ripped and incredibly strong). And yet lifting can teach you so much. My time at the gym--at least when I'm lifting--is invariably the high-point of my day. There aren't any questions; I almost don't even think. I go into an almost meditative trance-like state. Day-to-day worries become insignificant. I'm focused solely on the weight, and my reason for existence is clear. To move the bar and to improve on what I accomplished last time. Seldom are things so simple." - Blood&Iron

"Most people cannot understand what burns in our blood, the gym is our addiction and iron is our drug. People don't understand why we commit hours a day to a goal where progress is so small it seems immeasurable, why we do cardio instead of watch TV, why eat 6 meals a day, why we insist on ordering diet soda or how we can drink skim milk. Most people will simply never grasp why we refuse to settle for a mediocre body." - Severed Ties

thanks for the links mike, i think i will wait until i have comlpeted my current cycle before, attempting hst, its sounds extremely promising and i think i'd be foolish not to try it.
    Yeah check it out Big-Ron I think that youll find both links extremely helpful. They both are great for learning a great deal about HST. Yeah man you should give HST a shot and see what you think of it. I personally think that youll really like it man. Yeah its one of the best programs out currently if you ask me. People over at the HST forum are getting great results.

One thing about you, how do you manage to take all those supplements yet alone afford them?the list is huge!
    Haha most are old stuff that once I run out of I wont even bother taking anymore. Stick to creatine, protein, multi-vitamin, MRPs, and thats about it. Plus food of course.

Originally posted by Marcel
    Wazzup Mike? I saw your pics. Your not totaly flabby and soft. Like others have mentioned great shoulders, nice lats, and arms. You look big bro. The more you lower your bodyfat the better you will look. Lower down to 10% or so and you will look wicked.
    Yeah man I am really really flabby and soft trust me. Haha its actually really really really disgusting to say the least. I cant even take my shirt off without getting sick and puking. Haha it just makes me gag honestly to think I let myself get this way. In clothes I can cover it all up more ya know?

I think you know what you need to do to get ripped like you want to be. NO more bullsh*t binges. Keep up the hard work bro and I'm expecting to see a shredded Mike soon.
    Yeah NO MORE f*cking binges is right man that sh!t f*cks me up badly I think. More than anything else if you ask me. I dont know well see how things go.

Gotta get my sh!t in order. "Time to move on, time to be strong. Dont stop now straight to the top now."

Member of the 1200 Club Johnny Vegas's Avatar
    I've never tried HST, though I feel it's a very solid routine to follow. All I meant by a routine specifically geared to you is simply that there is a lot of collective brainpower here and between you providing the description of your ideal shape, we should be able to create a routine and diet that matches that goal. Now when I said we'd blow you up, I meant a couple things.

Firstly, you keep lifting and gaining, and we'll blow up your ego. And when you finish your cycle and move towards another set of goals, we'll help blow up your physique.

Originally posted by Johnny Vegas
    I've never tried HST, though I feel it's a very solid routine to follow. All I meant by a routine specifically geared to you is simply that there is a lot of collective brainpower here and between you providing the description of your ideal shape, we should be able to create a routine and diet that matches that goal. Now when I said we'd blow you up, I meant a couple things.
    Yeah JV I really really recommend you giving HST a shot. Its a great routine probably going to be one of the most successful routines for the next decade or so I would imagine. At least for the next few years. People seem to experience better and better results with HST which is always a good thing.

Yeah I agree that a routine geared specifically to you is important to continually making gains. Also a routine that you like because no one is going to stick to a training regimen that they really dont care for I dont think. Personally - I really enjoy HST.

Firstly, you keep lifting and gaining, and we'll blow up your ego. And when you finish your cycle and move towards another set of goals, we'll help blow up your physique.
    Yeah I hope to blow up my ego when I finally drop my bf% down. Currently I am so f*cking fat its just unbelievable. I cant even start to deal with how fat I feel. As you probably saw in my before pic it was just horribly hideous looking. Such a damn shame how I could let my body go to waste.