Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: lronMan's HST Journal

bone crusher
    Monstar just make sure that you see this though to the end. Regardless of how you feel things are going, perform this routine for at least 2 months before making any substantial changes

bone crusher
    also monstar your like the kid in school who complains every time you get a grade back that you did awful when you really got an a, just not a perfect score. I'm speaking in regard to this complaining about being fat. Now yes you have gained some fat, and you have also most likely gained some muscle. If you are training drug free then this is what is to be expected. You have good strength so be happy. You know most bbers are in off season shape most the year... why? because it is very difficult to be ripped year round and gain strength and mass (drug free)

Originally posted by the doc
    Monstar just make sure that you see this though to the end. Regardless of how you feel things are going, perform this routine for at least 2 months before making any substantial changes
    Yeah doc dont worry I will bro. Without a doubt man. I am going to stick with HST this time around no questions asked. I am almost 100% positive that it will work extremely well for me. And there is just no reason that I shouldnt take full advantage of such a great program. I would be stupid to let it go.

Thanks for the support doc.

Originally posted by the doc
    also monstar your like the kid in school who complains every time you get a grade back that you did awful when you really got an a, just not a perfect score. I'm speaking in regard to this complaining about being fat. Now yes you have gained some fat, and you have also most likely gained some muscle. If you are training drug free then this is what is to be expected. You have good strength so be happy. You know most bbers are in off season shape most the year... why? because it is very difficult to be ripped year round and gain strength and mass (drug free)
    Awesome post regarding natural BBs doc.

I honestly probably wouldnt have gained half as much fat as I did if I did go on these fast food binges and sh!t like that eating everything in site. Pretty stupid if you ask me. Not only is it ill disciplined and immature - it is jusy ruining my physique.

My midsection honestly hasnt been this fat in a long, long time. Probably before NHE like 6 months ago. I dont know what the hell my problem is but it is really really getting on my nerves. Need to get with the f*cking program and stop d!cking around.

...fattest...fatter...fat. WannaBeStrong's Avatar
    Anyhow, I see you are using high pulls for your shoulder workouts. Are these rough on your lower back at all? I am trying to get a catalog of excersize that don't f'uck my lower back up. It seems that my TrapBar Deadlifts are still killing it even with ridiculously light weight (150lbs x 25 reps this week). I could easily shoot that number up about 50lbs and not struggle but either my disk is getting compressed again or my lower back muscles can't handle the load, because that area is hella sore and miserable for a long time. OK enough bs'ing about my problems. You like the high pulls?

Oh, what's your hand placement look like on the bar? I was thinking about shoulder width seemed correct.

Check this --- high pulls. Do yours look similar? http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/.../HighPull.html

Peace.

Originally posted by WannaBeStrong
    Anyhow, I see you are using high pulls for your shoulder workouts. Are these rough on your lower back at all? I am trying to get a catalog of excersize that don't f'uck my lower back up. It seems that my TrapBar Deadlifts are still killing it even with ridiculously light weight (150lbs x 25 reps this week). I could easily shoot that number up about 50lbs and not struggle but either my disk is getting compressed again or my lower back muscles can't handle the load, because that area is hella sore and miserable for a long time. OK enough bs'ing about my problems. You like the high pulls?
    A bad lower back can present a number of problems when it comes to working out. The high pulls that I am doing directly hit your side delts and your traps. Pretty much both very hard. I really really like them a lot. If you have sensetive rotator cuffs I advise you to be careful with this movement and start out with light weights.

Oh, what's your hand placement look like on the bar? I was thinking about shoulder width seemed correct.

Check this --- high pulls. Do yours look similar? http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/.../HighPull.html

Peace.
    My hand placement is a little bit wider than shoulder-width grip.

The link that you posted is FAR from how I do my high pulls. I dont do any kind of body momentum at all. My version is simply a powerful upright row. Pulling the bar from about mid-thigh level to about my nipple level pretty powerfully. Using a little body English. Again like I said no bring the bar down to the floor or bending over or anything like the link suggested.

Maybe I am doing a variation of high pulls but this works best for me.

When I think "high pull" I always pictured an upright row with momentum. When I saw the link I was like "uh...no thanks"

This seems to be what you're doing:
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...prightRow.html

I am probably going to add the upright row to my workout soon. My shoulders are in OK shape.

When I think "high pull" I always pictured an upright row with momentum. When I saw the link I was like "uh...no thanks"

This seems to be what you're doing:
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...prightRow.html

I am probably going to add the upright row to my workout soon. My shoulders are in OK shape.
    Thats EXACTLY what I am doing.

Yeah haha man I think I am going to go through and rename all of the times that I called it a high pull. I dont even know why I called it that. Generally upright rows are done with a close-grip so Ill just call them "Wide-grip Barbell Upright Rows." Haha I guess I was labeling them wrong this whole time.

Thanks for pointing that out to me WannaBeStrong.

F*cked up my before HST pic that was taken a few days ago on 7-5-2002 so I am going to repost it.

I am also going to keep a link to my motivational before pic at the top of each of my journal entries for inspiration to stick to my diet etc. Well see how things work out for me.

Here is the pic - I weighed 213.5 lbs. Really a sickening weight.

Dont gag too much. Hopefully HST will change all of this...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MonStar; 07-08-2002 at 11:00 AM.

... Dont be too harsh keep in mind guys this was after a few days of pigging out on junkfood like some damn fat a*s.
    Last edited by MonStar; 07-08-2002 at 11:00 AM.

Dude, don't worry. We are all super self-conscious about our bodyfat even when it's not justified. I am fat and I weigh about 50lbs less *cackle*

Your lats, triceps, and forearms are looking good. Get some meat on your traps and it will compliment your physique well!

Dude, don't worry. We are all super self-conscious about our bodyfat even when it's not justified. I am fat and I weigh about 50lbs less *cackle*

Your lats, triceps, and forearms are looking good. Get some meat on your traps and it will compliment your physique well!
    Yeah man I am like so f*cking hard on myself its unreal my girlfriend always is telling me how I shouldnt be so hard on myself etc. I dont know I just get this fat slob feeling and I go crazy oh my God. I feel like I am kind of satisfied for the time being at least with my muscle size just not with my bodyfat% level etc.

Thanks man.. again I tend to get a lot of compliments on my lats which is really insane because thats always been a VERY weak bodypart of mine. Crazy that anyone would say anything good about it. Well my traps were not flexed in any of those pics. I might attach another pic of my traps flexed. Theyre actually pretty decent. If I flex them hard they kind of make my delts look tiny.

(view a description of my diet by clicking here, view a description of my training by clicking here, view my current HST rep maxes by clicking here, view my before picture by clicking here)

HST CYCLE 1 | MICROCYCLE 1 | DAY 4
    July 8, 2002

Cardio.
    • ----------------------------------------------------------------
      (AM) 20 minutes stationery bike, level 6.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------

Comments.
      Feel pretty good today. Hopefully my "Supertraining" book will come in the mail today its been like 5 business days now I dont know what the f*ck is taking so damn long. Starting to really get on my nerves I keep hearing how great the book is. But Ill never know since it never comes in.

"Supertraining" came in the mail finally!! Looking forward to reading it.

Diet. Isocaloric Day.
      Meal 1: Meso-Tech MRP + 1 cup skim milk
      (420 calories, 60g protein, 36g carbs, 4g fat)

Meal 2: 1 slice whole-wheat bread + 2 tbsp. peanut butter + 2 cups skim milk
      (390 calories, 27g protein, 40g carbs, 17g fat)

Meal 3: 2 servings whey protein + 1 cup 2% milk
      (380 calories, 52g protein, 24g carbs, 9g fat)

Total Calories:
      Total (g) Protein:
      Total (g) Carbs:
      Total (g) Fat:

Pain/Soreness.
      Feel good today. Pecs and hamstrings are a little sore but nothing too bad I dont think. Overall I feel good.

Sleep.
      Last night I got 8 hours of sleep. Good amount of sleep and didnt wake up at all!! This really made me feel good. Sleep is extremely important for recovery etc.

Supplements.
    • 5g glutamine (+ 1 Lipodryl & 250 mg. usnic acid) precardio
    • multi-vitamin/mineral 2x today
    • 1g vitamin C 3x today
    • 400 IU vitamin E 3x today
    • 1 Calcium Complete 3x today
    • 1 Lipodryl 2x today
    • 250 mg. usnic acid 2x today
    • 6 mg. melatonin + 5g glutamine before bed

Training.
      Rest.

Training Length.
      N/A.

Water.

Weight.
      First thing in the morning, without clothes, after using the restroom, I weighed 201 lbs. Awesome weight again today. Dropped a pound from yesterday which was really really surprising I expected to weigh around 203 lbs. Just because of water weight gain and everything like that. I will probably hover right around 200 lbs.
    Last edited by MonStar; 07-08-2002 at 04:00 PM.

Member of the 1200 Club Johnny Vegas's Avatar
    Give the fat boy talk a rest, my friend. You are always a "work in progress" and this is just a stage in that process. Besides, if you were perfect you wouldn't work out, and what fun is that?

Originally posted by Johnny Vegas
    Give the fat boy talk a rest, my friend. You are always a "work in progress" and this is just a stage in that process. Besides, if you were perfect you wouldn't work out, and what fun is that?
    Good point JV never really thought about it that way. I know that each of us BBs are really a work in progress striving to improve certain bodyparts etc. Almost like Arnold said in "Pumping Iron," its a lot like sculpting. Just improving your weak parts etc.

JV what do you think about HST?

just like to say that the doc's words on natural bb's were excellent, good motivation to anyone and knowledge.
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

Originally posted by Big-Ron
    just like to say that the doc's words on natural bb's were excellent, good motivation to anyone and knowledge.
    Agreed man. It is a lot harder as a natural bodybuilder than it is to a drug induced bodybuilder. I mean on some cycles guys can practically eat whatever they want and they still gain muscle and dont get fat. Thats just incredible to me. I wont ever resort to the use of anabolics - thats for damn sure.

I honestly know that its still hard to gain muscle even while on anabolics but I still see that as the easy way out. I just think that these days there are so many options that are valuable there is no true reason to resort to illegal drug use. There are new training programs and new information about dieting etc. that can help a natural succeed.

I like HST. I think it's a solid routine and builds a great base.

I like HST. I think it's a solid routine and builds a great base.
    Oh okay man just curious what you think of it. I agree that its a great program. I was actually considering the next time around doing HST that I only do the four core movements: bench, squat, deadlifts, and pullups. See how my body handles that. I dont know I cant really decide at this point.

How's your body handling HST? It seems from reading your journal that you're pretty happy with a lot of the results. Let's track your progress on each lift and build some averages when you're done, then you'll have some good data and facts about your body to build your next routine from.

How's your body handling HST? It seems from reading your journal that you're pretty happy with a lot of the results. Let's track your progress on each lift and build some averages when you're done, then you'll have some good data and facts about your body to build your next routine from.
    Yeah well see how things go with HST. I think its a great routine. I am definitely going to do more than one cycle. Maybe just change up the exercises a tad. Like I said bench, squats, deads, and pullups maybe 2 sets each.

See how that goes. I cant decide yet really. I am happy with the results thus far theyre really a lot of fun. I feel like not doing deadlifts though maybe a downside but I decided to go with SLDLs instead. Oh well I dont think its too big of a deal.

Deadlifts are such a clusterf*ck lift. It doesn't build muscle on naturals as well as many people think, so you have to accept that strength is the biggest thing you'll get from such a painful and exhausting lift.

Deadlifts are such a clusterf*ck lift. It doesn't build muscle on naturals as well as many people think, so you have to accept that strength is the biggest thing you'll get from such a painful and exhausting lift.
    Really? You dont care for deadlifts huh? Why do you do a compound cycle then of bench, squats, deads, and pullups? Doesnt make too much sense if you ask me. Why dont you think that deadlifts build muscle on naturals the way that people think?

Curious have you EVER done any kind of anabolics?

You think that strength in deadlifts is the only thing that Ill gain from deadlifts? That makes me feel better if youre correct. Because I be be doing deadlifts this HST cycle at all.

Really? You dont care for deadlifts huh? Why do you do a compound cycle then of bench, squats, deads, and pullups? Doesnt make too much sense if you ask me. Why dont you think that deadlifts build muscle on naturals the way that people think?
    I think deadlifts are great for strength. Bar none, they are the best overall strength gainer I've ever done. Squats are pretty close, though. But I don't think they build mass on naturals as much as people think. Even chris mason's recent lat spread pics could be evidence. He has a great physique, but it appears the majority of his mass is in his lats. Perhaps it was the camera angle, and by NO MEANS am I knocking his physique, but he's a strong guy and his traps don't appear to reflect the weight he lifts.

Curious have you EVER done any kind of anabolics?
    Never in my life, nor will I ever. Steroids are for guys who want to compete on a national level ONLY.

You think that strength in deadlifts is the only thing that Ill gain from deadlifts? That makes me feel better if youre correct.
    Yes, I think the strength you gain will far outweigh the size you gain. Let your back mass come from your lats anyways, that looks a lot more fearsome.

I think deadlifts are great for strength. Bar none, they are the best overall strength gainer I've ever done.
    Okay I am wondering what you mean by this. Do you mean strength gainer as in you got stronger in deadlifts? Or strength gainer as in your got stronger in all of your exercises? Like overall strength gainer or just deadlift strength gainer? Also do you feel theyre valuable for bodybuilding purposes at all?

Squats are pretty close, though. But I don't think they build mass on naturals as much as people think. Even chris mason's recent lat spread pics could be evidence. He has a great physique, but it appears the majority of his mass is in his lats. Perhaps it was the camera angle, and by NO MEANS am I knocking his physique, but he's a strong guy and his traps don't appear to reflect the weight he lifts.
    Yeah squats are a great movement I love doing them. You dont think they build mass on naturals either huh JV? Wow thats an interesting perspective. Yeah chris mason is definitely MASSIVE so to speak. I think that his lats are just an outstanding bodypart. The way that everyone has different strongpoints.

I believe it was chris though that said that his back was pretty much built without deadlifts.

Never in my life, nor will I ever. Steroids are for guys who want to compete on a national level ONLY.
    Yeah I kind of agree with that - and I am the same way I never have and never will. I just find it VERY hard to believe that youre as strong as you are and big as you are (6' 290 lbs.) Even if you are around 20% bodyfat that means you have a good 230 lbs. of lean body mass which is great for a natural. Are you trying to drop the fat off to get your bf% down?

Yes, I think the strength you gain will far outweigh the size you gain. Let your back mass come from your lats anyways, that looks a lot more fearsome.
    Yeah I understand what youre saying. I agree that huge lats look incredible. My back currently is nothing special I dont think which is a damn shame. But I am going to try hard to make it grow big time. I dont think Ill ever get as big as guys like chris mason but I am sure as hell gonna try.
    Last edited by MonStar; 07-08-2002 at 01:11 PM.