Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: lronMan's HST Journal

Member of the 1200 Club Johnny Vegas's Avatar
    Yeah squats are a great movement I love doing them. You dont think they build mass on naturals either huh JV?
    Sorry, I formed a bad sentence there. I meant to say that squats are the second best strength gainer to deadlifts. I think squats are great for size as well as strength, though.

Like overall strength gainer or just deadlift strength gainer? Also do you feel theyre valuable for bodybuilding purposes at all?
    Overall strength. For bodybuilding I think they build a good strong base, but they don't necessarily buld your body.

Yeah I kind of agree with that - and I am the same way I never have and never will. I just find it VERY hard to believe that youre as strong as you are and big as you are (6' 290 lbs.) Even if you are around 20% bodyfat that means you have a good 230 lbs. of lean body mass which is great for a natural. Are you trying to drop the fat off to get your bf% down?
    If the 20% holds up under a more accurate testing method, I'd be very surprised, as I've said before. I have never really looked into dropping body fat or going into any type of cutting diet, that'll be an entirely new world of learning.

Originally posted by Johnny Vegas
    Sorry, I formed a bad sentence there. I meant to say that squats are the second best strength gainer to deadlifts. I think squats are great for size as well as strength, though.
    Thats okay man. Dont worry about it. Squats are a great movement I agree. Full ROM deadlifts I am really not too fond of to be honest. I am not sure why I just dont feel like theyre all that beneficial in terms of putting on quality muscle.

Overall strength. For bodybuilding I think they build a good strong base, but they don't necessarily buld your body.
    Agreed.

If the 20% holds up under a more accurate testing method, I'd be very surprised, as I've said before. I have never really looked into dropping body fat or going into any type of cutting diet, that'll be an entirely new world of learning.
    Yeah I was wondering about that. What is your diet like?

Also do you consider yourself flabby because 20% bodyfat is definitely soft and flabby. I read somewhere that you said you had abs or something like that?

no way mike, i think it is extremely possible that you will get lats like chris, if you want them you will get them. Im with you on deadlifts, since ive started doing them, i have begun to get somewhere, instead of being a twig, along with eating lots (still along way to go though)

in my opinion the back is a true sign of a quality iron-man and you have got that in abbundance already.
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

I don't know if I'd say "flabby." I'm not cut up or ripped by any means, either. And in conclusion, if I pull my arms up behind my head and flex my abs, you can see the 4 pack a bit. It doesn't blaze out there like a magazine cover model, but they're there. My legs are what I'd consider my "soft spot."

Originally posted by Big-Ron
    no way mike, i think it is extremely possible that you will get lats like chris, if you want them you will get them. Im with you on deadlifts, since ive started doing them, i have begun to get somewhere, instead of being a twig, along with eating lots (still along way to go though)
    Yeah I dont know man lats like chris's are tough to get I think. He is a true vet when it comes to bodybuilding. Something like 14 years training experience. And also I think that his lats are one of his stronger points. Like always Ill try extremely hard to pack some size onto my lats through the next year or so. Well see.

Yeah man deadlifts are a good overall movement. Personally I dont think that theyre like unbelievable and you wont grow without them etc. But I do think that they can help.

in my opinion the back is a true sign of a quality iron-man and you have got that in abbundance already.
    Yeah man a huge pair of lats is definitely a sign of a true bodybuilder if you ask me. Nothing makes a guy look bigger I dont think. Huge flaring lats, and extremely wide delts. Width definitely presents the illusion of great size in my opinion.

I don't know if I'd say "flabby." I'm not cut up or ripped by any means, either. And in conclusion, if I pull my arms up behind my head and flex my abs, you can see the 4 pack a bit. It doesn't blaze out there like a magazine cover model, but they're there. My legs are what I'd consider my "soft spot."
    Thats cool man. Well heres a question - would you consider yourself more or less flabby than me in the pics I posted on Page 3. Or you can just click the link at the top of any of my journal entries. I weighed 213.5 lbs. there and I was flabby as f*ck. Jesus.

I'm just a whole lot bigger than you in general. My whole structure, everything. It's hard to compare, but I'm probly close to that, albeit on a larger scale. I'm not trying to come off demeaning at all, it's just that our body types are very different.

I'm just a whole lot bigger than you in general. My whole structure, everything. It's hard to compare, but I'm probly close to that, albeit on a larger scale. I'm not trying to come off demeaning at all, it's just that our body types are very different.
    Oh yeah okay man I understand what youre saying. Tough to compare because of how much larger you are etc. That makes perfect sense to me its all good dont worry about it. I was just curious.

Mike, I think just about anyone be hard pressed to get lats like Chris' naturally. Also, how will deadlifts get you them? They're just not the best lat excersise.

On bodyfat, 20% BF is not necessarily soft and flabby at all. Especially on a big guy. If someone is 290lbs drug free at a height of 6', they should easily have 20% BF or more.

By the way, I said your "diet" was a horrible choice because you keep binging off of it and you eat almost no real food. It can't be healthy at all.

Incidentally, what do you think your bodyfat is in those photos? What do you think it was at 237lbs?
    Last edited by MarshallPenn; 07-08-2002 at 08:59 PM.

Mike, before you start a new journal again, I'm bumping this to the top so you can read this.

MarshallPenn:

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/.../ikonboard.cgi

Please go to this board in the HST forum and check out my 2 posts. I am just going to do a modified HST thats all. I think that I have WAY too many exercises right now. I am switching to just bench, squat, deadlifts, and chins.

I'm curious to see how this works. I've thought of dropping some myself. What makes you feel like you are doing too many exercises?

Originally posted by MarshallPenn
    I'm curious to see how this works. I've thought of dropping some myself. What makes you feel like you are doing too many exercises?
    Just the feeling that I am doing FAR too many while I am in the gym. My workouts are not long by any means but I feel like I am just doing one exercise after another after another after another. Just too redundant. I mean I hit my triceps with flat BB presses, then again with skulls, etc. ya know?

Maybe this:

(1) squats
    (2) flat BB presses
    (3) pullups
    (4) deadlifts (full ROM)

But guys @ HST think I am going injure my lower back.. ?

How many sets of each do you plan to do? I would suggest taking a long break between exercises. And during the break you might want to drink a gatorade or two. And how many days do you plan to rest between working days?

I happen to be a big fan of the idea, for what it's worth.

How many sets of each do you plan to do? I would suggest taking a long break between exercises. And during the break you might want to drink a gatorade or two. And how many days do you plan to rest between working days?

I happen to be a big fan of the idea, for what it's worth.
    http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/...=ST;f=11;t=323

I described the WAY that I am going to be training here. Check it out I dont feel like retyping whole thing. Or check out my last post in Belial's journal.

I think those 4 exercises are all you really need. Maybe some calf work. Everything else gets hit.

Awesome.

You're going to build a huge base with this routine. I think you'll be really happy with the way your body shapes as well, despite what a lot of folks think about direct work.

Are you going to adjust your diet as well, or just the routine at this time?

Awesome.

You're going to build a huge base with this routine. I think you'll be really happy with the way your body shapes as well, despite what a lot of folks think about direct work.

Are you going to adjust your diet as well, or just the routine at this time?
    I sure do hope so JV. I dont know anyone, if anyone, that has tried the 4 core movements with BAD results.

I cant decide if I should do dips or flat BB presses. Because dips are more or less a more mechanical lift - going through a plane of space.

I do bench when doing only compounds mostly because I like bench more. But now you've peaked my interest in trying dips next time around. Pick what you like, or alternate between them when you start a new cycle. You'll see better results if you enjoy the exercises you're doing.

Yeah I know what your saying JV. Most people say the 3 core BB strength movements are bench, squat, and deads.

But I dont know though man. Because honestly dips are a full upper body movement. Chest and triceps especially along with front delts etc. Also your body is moving through a plane of place which I always read is good.

Banned
    do not bump unused journals.

I'll only warn you once.
    Last edited by Joe Black; 07-10-2002 at 03:25 PM.