Thread: Tendons

Tendons

How do tendons get stronger? just like muscles like they get damaged a bit and heal back stronger?

do they grow as your muscles do or do big muscles still have the same little puny but real strong tendons? (lol i suppose the first option is more logical)

I think they grow the same way as muscles - otherwise, as your muscle grew - you would have a greater chance of your strong muscle ripping your weak tendons!

uh huh thas what im saying. im just curious of the exact mechanism. what substances are tendons made of anyway

Yes you can strengthen tendons. You do it with any strength training but to focus on them specifically you use fast movements as to stretch them....thats the stimulus. anyway stuff like pylometrics, acceleration training, isometrics, and negatives.

well logically you can. I was just wondering about the biology of it compared to muscle tissue

Well they don't hypertrophy or atrophy....they increase in fibroblast number and basically are allowed by the nervous system to not "shut off". When you fail in a set and you end up shaking you failed cuz of your tendons. It's a safety mechanism, so you won't tear a muscle.

tendons definately don't grow, like cackerot said. they do get stronger though. your body makes collogen and stuff like that to help 'em get stronger.

i hate tendons. freakin' strained one a year ago, haven't been able to go balls to the wall on bench since.....

i have a feeling that they don't recover as fast as muscle, so if it's sore, take a week or two off.

i wish i could give you technical answer but that is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cackerot69 View Post
    Yes you can strengthen tendons. You do it with any strength training but to focus on them specifically you use fast movements as to stretch them....thats the stimulus.
    I read the complete opposite & that was, heavy static/isometric training was the only true way of strengthening the tendons?.

What source stated acceleration training for strengthening the tendons?.
    Last edited by Cali4nia; 02-11-2011 at 06:55 PM.

Don't believe you will get a response from Cackerot. He posted on here back when he was just a pup. Hasn't been on in years.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Come on guys, chip in.