Thread: Few bulking questions

Grasshoppa

Few bulking questions

Ok, think I'm done cutting for now. Need to gain a bit of muscle definition and mass.

I'm 5'9, 140 pounds, 21 years old...I forgot the maintenance and bulking formulas, so any help on the type of calories I'd be looking at would be great.

Are there any signature bulking foods that you all like to get into your diets?

Anyway, think that's it for now. Any help would be appreciated.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Re: Few bulking questions

Originally posted by Shao-LiN
    Are there any signature bulking foods that you all like to get into your diets?
    Potatoes.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Banned

Re: Re: Few bulking questions

Originally posted by stpatrick44

Potatoes.
    Why potatoes?

Wannabebig Member
    i just made sure to eat a lot.
    nothing scientific about it at all. just ate like i normally do (which incidentally tends to be fairly healthy), but on top of that i forced down a few extra bowls of cereal and made sure to eat a bunch before going to bed.

end result was that i packed on about 20 pounds in four months and really began increasing how much i lifted. (140 pounds to 160)

so it seems that at the novice-newbie level going easy at the beginning can still yield spectacular results, although i'm pretty sure that it'll take a much more hard-core approach in order to really begin bulking up for real.

Re: Re: Re: Few bulking questions

Originally posted by Vido

Why potatoes?
    I just think it's a good high GI carb for bulking.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Grasshoppa
    Possible to make some gains in definition and strength eating at maintenance?
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

I wannabebig!
    of course :o

I wannabebig!
    bulking formula = eat a lot of food.. and when full keep eating

I drink a ton of milk.. go thru like a gallon every 2-3 days! =o not to mention tons of eggs, chicken, and beef. A good weight gainer couldn't hurt.

Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Few bulking questions

Originally posted by stpatrick44

I just think it's a good high GI carb for bulking.
    I don't particularly agree with your philosophy. While bulking, the goal is to gain as much MUSCLE as possible, while limiting fat gain. I'd stick to low GI carbs except for right after the workout (when you should have at least 0.4 g of dextrose or maltodextrin per lb bodyweight). Just eat more in general, but I don't think the foods should be any different than while cutting. I've said this before, and if you are saying it's okay to eat certain foods while bulking, but not while cutting, then those foods cannot be optimal for you.
    On the other hand, eating completely clean can become monotonous. This is where individuals differ. IMO you are going to make better and quicker gains eating clean, but it is not like you cannot do it while throwing in some cheat foods (and yes, I would call a potato a cheat food).

I wannabebig!
    a potato a cheat food =\ no way??

Banned
    Originally posted by ryuage
    a potato a cheat food =\ no way??
    What can I say, I eat VERY clean. I'm not trying to start a huge debate about what constitutes and what does not constitute a cheat food so let's get this thread back on topic.

I wannabebig!
    i was just saying whoa.. hehe I eat potatos like everyday =\ thought it was a good source of complex carbs.. not to mention they serve them everyday here at the chow hall.

Grasshoppa
    What are the equations to figure out maintenance and bulking caloric intake again?

And what kind of ratios of f/c/p would you suggest? Was thinking maybe isocaloric.
    Shao-LiN

I eat clean imo, i eat, tuna, pasta, unsalted peanuts, eggs, milk, chicken breasts, submarine sandwiches, chicken salads....etc I've figured out that 4000 cal for me at 5"11 180 is pretty good for gaining weight. I have relatively no fixation on ratios, all I count are my cals, and make sure my carb intake is in check, I already know that I am getting plenty of fat and protein.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Grasshoppa
    Ok, tweaked my diet a bit.

Going from 2000 cals to ~2600 cals initially.

The breakdown comes out to 79g fat/192g carb/271g protein. Roughly 30/30/40. This look ok? Majority of fat content is monounsaturated.
    Last edited by Shao-LiN; 07-09-2002 at 09:50 PM.
    Shao-LiN

looks good for your size, if your not gaining anything after a week up you cals a bit. Lol @ 192g of carbs, i eat like 400g. Good luck
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Grasshoppa
    hehe...wow, altho I wouldn't mind eating that much carbs =P. Yah, I'm gonna try this out for about 2 weeks and gradually up the cals to about 3000 eventually I think.

Thanks for the help btw =).
    Last edited by Shao-LiN; 07-09-2002 at 10:05 PM.
    Shao-LiN