Thread: I need suggestions please...

Wannabebig New Member

I need suggestions please...

I have little access to a quality gym, and the only weights I have in my house are some free weights. I want to work on building up my chest, are there any exercises I can do without using a barbell, as I don't have one, do pushups work? What about laying chest raises? If worse comes to worse I will buy a barbell and a bench, if I had the money. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Mystic Eric
    Why don't you join a gym? And what do you mean by "quality"?

All you need in a gym is a squat rack, a bench, a bar, weights, and free weights. That's all. No need to go to some gym that looks all flowery and pretty.

Wannabebig New Member
    By a quality gym, I mean any gym... There are no gyms where I live, so I need some good home remedies.

Mystic Eric
    I don't get why there aren't gyms.

Where abouts do you live man?

Wannabebig New Member
    I live in a very small town, and since I don't personally drive, I don't have access to a gym. By small I mean small, the pop is less than 1000.

Mystic Eric
    Oh damn.

Well buy a squat rack, a bench of which you can adjust the angles, a bar, plates, and free weights. You should be able to do plenty with that.

Well, you could purchase a weight set. If that is not possible, then there are some bodyweight movements you can do. Pushups will work to a limited extent. The trick is to make the exercise more difficult so that you will fail (become unable to complete another rep) around 10 reps or so. To make the exercise more difficult as you progress, you can secure your feet on a raised platform. The higher your feet, the more difficult the exercise. You should also perform the reps with perfect form. You should use complete reps, keeping your hips flat and moving from complete arm extension to touching your chest to the ground. You should also perform the reps in a very slow fashion. Using these techniques will allow you to develop your chest to a certain extent, one which may make you happy. Once you get there, you may decide to find a way to get to a gym.

Listen to what Chris said about the pushups, he took the words right out of my mouth. With that already dealt with I have a quick question, why are you only building your chest? You can get a fairly decent home workout without weight for your entire body and I assume you've never lifted weights before so I'd advise you start on a small total body program instead of just working your chest. Here's some ideas and exercises to throw around:

Chinups - can be done on any tree branch strong enough to support your weight, even better if you have an unfinished basement with rafters.

One legged squats (with your bodyweight) - you could try holding a small weight if you need to

Pushups - as mentioned already in detail by Chris

Reverse bench dips - all you need is a sturdy chair and you could even build a wooden bench by nailing some boards together and something to put your feet on.

Situps - countless exercises for the abs can be done with no equipment

"Supermans" - can build up your lower back

There's lots of ideas if you're creative enough. Hell you could hammer curl water jugs filled with sand if you want. I'd suggest you buy a barbell with some weights and you can expand this list of home excercises greatly.