The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

Can I skip Training my Legs

Ok, Well I was going to Do weight training 3 day a week with Legs on WED.

But...... I am only 15 years old and 5'7' and I am still growing and I really dont want to damage my growth plates.

Sooo question is Can I skip training my legs for now?

Not that it is that big of a deal seeing as soon I will be doing alot of bike riding plus I have alot of muscle in my legs naturally.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Dont make that mistake. I didnt train my legs for a year probably and completely regret it now. Dont be lazy.

Mystic Eric
    Training legs properly will not damage your growth plates.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    I first started training at your age and grew a lot at that time. That weight training stunting growth thing is a myth probably derived from people using steroids at an early age, stunting their growth and then blaming it on the lifting. Train your legs and do it right for the sake of injury prevention, not to avoid stunting growth.

IMO weights shouldn't be the primary source at your age, body resistance is vital at 15, to build up your tendons, ligaments, hitting weights should be secondary. build a solid base first from, press-ups, chin-ups, dips, sprinting.

Although do some lighter weights to get the feel for them. this is just my view. the foundation is the key.
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

3:16
    weight trianing stunting your growth, is likely to be a result of not eating enough for your needs due to higher metabolism from weight training.

though the moral of this is eat more.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Eating is fun.
    and why do my muscles and tendons care if im pulling a weight or pulling myself up?
    Last edited by Reinier; 07-07-2002 at 05:58 AM.

Well people tend to try and lift more than there body weight and do exercises that use more stress, come on the guys only 15

Originally posted by Big-Ron
    Well people tend to try and lift more than there body weight and do exercises that use more stress, come on the guys only 15
    so how will lifting more than his bodyweight damage him.

15 is a good age to get into it.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

15 do you really think so, i thought that building foundations were more important so he would be prepared at 17-18. im not saying dont do weights because that would be me lying, but not as seriously learn about proper form, technique as an insurance policy for the future.

Wannabebig Member
    As long as proper form is used along with a good diet, routine and adequate rest periods training at 15 will do you no harm. I know many people who started lifting at that age or even earlier and none of them have ever reported any problems.
    Last edited by Destroyer; 07-07-2002 at 07:32 AM.

Agree with Destroyer, nice post man.

yeah destroyer if you look at it like that, ive probably been reading too many magazines.

I am going to add that I started training when I was 12 years old and never had any kind of problem with growth at all. I did heavy squats and overall lifted heavy (for me at the time). Never had a problem with it at all.

12 thats phenominal! i admit when i was round 13 i tried a bit with my dads weights, but nothing serious because i was more into soccer then, but now as ive aged, i want different things.

Wannabebig Member
    Start training your legs... its as simple as that!tuttut

I kinda started fooling around at 14, but only started a couple months after I turned 15. I've now been training for about seven months, and it's the greatest thing i've ever done to myself.
    Oh, by the way, train your legs. I have put on a lot more mass by training my legs than training my upper body.
    "Let's hope the ship has a captain, in other words, since we're not taking part in what's going on."
    -Noam Chomsky
    "It's like putting pearls on swine. You can dress up a pig... but it's still a pig... isn't it? oink oink oink..oink oink"
    -Henry Rollins
    Push the envelope... watch it bend..
    -Tool
    "In the valley of the shadow of death... I fear no one, because i am the baddest mother****er in the valley!"

Wannabebig Member

I just started

I just started doing legs about a month ago. I'm really serious about lifting and and all now and it's the most enjoyable thing, and most strenuous I do.

But after my first leg workout, which involved squats, presses, and deadlifts, I could barely walk.

It seems that doing upper body will get you cut and all, but doing legs will make you a man. Deadlifts are really awesome for kicking your a**.

Anecdotal evidence doesn't mean anything, just because you say lifting didn't stunt your growth doesnt mean anything. You don't know whether or not it did, you can't know. You might be 6 foot now, but perhaps could have be 6'4". It's fact that lifting weights CAN cause stop bone growth so disputing this by anecdotes is pointless.

Now on to my opinion. I don't think lifting any weights at 15 is a particularly good idea at all. If you don't care about the very real risk of stunting your growth then fine, but I also don't think at 15 most people are educated enough to even make such a decision. I believe trying to stay fit and participating in sports is where respect for the body should come from and then the serious lifting should be left until you are at least 16+ years of age. Recommending squats, deads, leg presses, etc. to someone at the age of 15 is in my opinion extremely, and I stress EXTREMELY reckless. People are, however, free to do as they please.

Back to one last fact. At the age of 15 the vast majority of males have not completed puberty, what you do to your body in this time can permanently affect you for the rest of your life. I suppose it's up to everyone to decide whats more important to them.

Proper technique is never dangerous.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

I think it depends on the 15 year old. We all know of 15 year olds that could pass for 20, and some who look 12. At 15, I was ready for heavy deads and squats. It all just depends on the person. But I don't think he should be worried about stunting growth at all, just as long as his form is excellent.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Originally posted by g-dot
    It's fact that lifting weights CAN cause stop bone growth so disputing this by anecdotes is pointless. ******any proof of this? and where is it? **********

Now on to my opinion. I don't think lifting any weights at 15 is a particularly good idea at all.*****why?***** If you don't care about the very real risk of stunting your growth then fine, but I also don't think at 15 most people are educated enough to even make such a decision.****lots of 15 year old play contact sports and trian hard at other sports, that often require lifting eg wrestling, rugby, american football etc, how does lifitng a specific weight in shape of a bar make a difference, especially considering that this can be done in a controlled manner, where sports do not have this option.****** I believe trying to stay fit and participating in sports is where respect for the body should come from and then the serious lifting should be left until you are at least 16+ years of age. Recommending squats, deads, leg presses, etc. to someone at the age of 15 is in my opinion extremely, and I stress EXTREMELY reckless. People are, however, free to do as they please. ******if they learn proper form where is the problem? for over 16, any age in fact doing bad form is a problem*****

Back to one last fact. At the age of 15 the vast majority of males have not completed puberty, what you do to your body in this time can permanently affect you for the rest of your life. I suppose it's up to everyone to decide whats more important to them.
    there is data showing that the sonner you start the haelth benefits the better the rewards are.

Body - I'm not going to locate data on that claim to prove it to you. Everyone else already knows the risks associated with lifting at ayoung age and stunting your growth, if you don't believe it go prove me wrong. Your point about contact sports is completely lost on me. I didn't say ANYTHING about contact sports. You're making your own irrelevant argument to try to tear mine apart, it doesn't workt that way. I'm not talking about skydiving, bungee jumping, cliff diving or anything else. I'm addressing risks associated with young lifters not something else.

PowerManDL, BigChaseyChase, Body and anyone who mentiond proper form. I'm not asying that with proper form you'll cause damage. Notice I originally said "lifting weights CAN cause..." I never said it will for certain. The simply fact remains although people say perfect form this, perfect form that, well perfect form is a myth, it doesn't exist. Is there a difference between good a bad form? Yes obviously, but my point is the risks we take related to good form past puberty are acceptable. If you had perfect form on squats you might have sore joints or something similar after the workout BUT say you're 15 doing perfect form squats and instead of just sore joints you can ice, you've stunted your growth by damaging your growth plates. I also kind of think it's pretty reckless to say oh with proper form you won't get hurt. All novice lifters start with poor form. You can't start an exercise you've never done and suddenly have good form, it's just a fact of lifting.

One last comment to Body. That data you site referring to greater health benefits the earlier you start refers generally to "exercise" and not specifically lifting. You'd be hard press to find any doctor who recommends weight training to a kid who hasn't hit puberty.

Proper technique is never dangerous.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Originally posted by g-dot
    Anecdotal evidence doesn't mean anything, just because you say lifting didn't stunt your growth doesnt mean anything. You don't know whether or not it did, you can't know. You might be 6 foot now, but perhaps could have be 6'4". It's fact that lifting weights CAN cause stop bone growth so disputing this by anecdotes is pointless.

If this had actually occured, he would be crippled and unable to lift. Stunting growth is a myth. When you lift a weight, the greatest stress is placed on the muscle with indirect stress being placed on the bone. If you lifted enough weight to damage growth plates, your muscles would tear first. The data for stunting growth comes from a poor part of India. Children who lifted heavy sacks of vegetables were found to be shorter than those who did not lift. But since this was a poor part of India, that was more likely due to malnutrition, NOT lifting heavy. As for those who did not lift, well obviously they didn't need the extra few cents a day (their families could afford to feed them). Apart from that I have never heard of lifting stunting growth. Please provide some proof.
    Of course lifting with improper form or lifting too heavy is dangerous. But I think stunting your growth would be the least of your worries in those cases.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 07-07-2002 at 10:49 PM.