Thread: How necessary are dead lifts?

Wannabebig New Member

How necessary are dead lifts?

Through the 5 years I've been training I have had periods where I use and don't use dead lifts. Recently I have had a few hip problems and dead lifting causes me some pain. Are deadlifts absolutely necessary in a workout routine or can I substitute other exercises?

Deadlifts are not absolutely necessary, but any serious lifter who doesn't do DLs (and is able to do so) is foolish.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bgb1990 View Post
    Through the 5 years I've been training I have had periods where I use and don't use dead lifts. Recently I have had a few hip problems and dead lifting causes me some pain. Are deadlifts absolutely necessary in a workout routine or can I substitute other exercises?
    For me, I'd say they are 100% necessary... for you? Who the hell knows? maybe if we knew your goals we could decide. It'd also help to know your stats (ht, wt, age #s for s/b/d) and what you mean by "a few hip problems".

In lieu of any of that, I'd just say that deadlifts are an incredible lift/exercise and often regarded as the ultimate single exercise for strength and muscular development amongst other things.

Are deadlifts absolutely necessary in a workout routine or can I substitute other exercises?
    No, they're not, and don't let anybody tell you differently. They are a great lift, but there are plenty of compound lifts that allow for heavy loads that would give you the same results.

So the questions would be: What results are you looking for? And what style of deadlift do you do (sumo or conventional... might shed some light on hip problems)
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Video
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Wannabebig New Member
    I am 5' 6" 188 lbs about 13% bf. I'm trying to bulk up more and have been for a while. I started at 168 10% bf.

as far as deads, I do a conventional dead lift usually aiming for 6-8 reps per set. I also work in heavy squats and SLDL into my weekly routine as well, which don't generally cause me problems. The issue I have is that my hips are a little out of whack and for some reason deadlifts seem to aggravate the issue.

Wannabebig Member
    I agree with the following....
    -- Yes deadlifts are a great exercise, one of the top three compound movements (along with bench and squat).
    --Yes, I believe that deadlifts are a great exercise to add great overall strength/mass.
    -- If you have hip problems and deadlifts may sidelined you from the gym, NO you should not do the exercise.
    -- By taking the deadlifts out of your routine, you will lose nothing, but gain and maintain the motivation that you need to continue your gym goals.

-- I am wondering if you may need to take squats out as well, as this may also have an effect on your hips. Either way, good luck......

I am 5' 6" 188 lbs about 13% bf. I'm trying to bulk up more and have been for a while. I started at 168 10% bf.

as far as deads, I do a conventional dead lift usually aiming for 6-8 reps per set. I also work in heavy squats and SLDL into my weekly routine as well, which don't generally cause me problems. The issue I have is that my hips are a little out of whack and for some reason deadlifts seem to aggravate the issue.
    Stretch your thoracic and start implementing front squats into your routine. Your hip flexors are most likely too strong in comparison to your other muscles, causing an imbalance and a pelvic tilt.

Deadlifts should be in every serious lifters programming. The red flag i see here is the pain issue. Try and find out exactly what the issue is, and the cause, and address this. Could be something that should be fixed regardless ov whether or not you ever deadlift again. Also... make sure you're doing them right. I've seen countless people over the years complain about deadlifts causing pain and injuries, only to see them doing it in the gym with wretched form, round-backing and hitching up weights they shouldn't even be rack-pulling.

Not saying this is specifically your issue, but generally, most ov the time deadlifts and squats injure someone its because they are doing them wrong.

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon63 View Post
    Stretch your thoracic and start implementing front squats into your routine. Your hip flexors are most likely too strong in comparison to your other muscles, causing an imbalance and a pelvic tilt.
    I could easily see my flexors being too strong compared to others but how would I fix this to even out my tilt?

I could easily see my flexors being too strong compared to others but how would I fix this to even out my tilt?
    Personally I wouldn't worry about eliminating the pelvic tilt. As someone who tried that very same thing it can cause other problems that are much worse. PM me for details.
    Last edited by Iplan; 11-14-2012 at 10:30 PM.
    Does this pose make my camera look big?

"We're not as good as we want to be, we're not as good as we should be, but thank God we're not as bad as we used to be..."

I find dead lifts neccesary. I have/had lower back pain and when I got back into doing dead lifts it made the pain go away.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!