Thread: HCT-12 Which program is for me?

Hybrid View

Wannabebig New Member

HCT-12 Which program is for me?

Hi there,

Just been reading the HCT-12 doco and I'm having a litte trouble comprehending the following:

"In simple terms, they are pretty much identical: one exercise per bodypart, ramping up to 6+2+2+2 for twelve total reps at 6RM for the day. So the last twelve reps are all above 80% 1RM and a few of the preceding ramped sets will be between 70% and 80%." (page 16)

So the exercise per body part would say be one arm dumbbell row (Horizontal Pulling).

So does that work out to be..
    one arm dumbell row:
    6 reps
    2 reps
    2 reps
    1 rep

Not sure how/where the following applies:
    "So the last twelve reps are all above 80% 1RM and a few of the preceding ramped sets will be between 70% and 80%"

I don't think i've got it right. Can someone clarify this for me? thanks.

Wannabebig Member
    One of the big boys will chime in, but in the mean time...I've been really "enjoying" this routine. I've done three cycles so far. I know everyone says this, but I've made good gains (for a 50year old) with this program. I started screwing around with it, but found out that this was stupid. So, I'm back to doing it exactly as stated. Regarding all of those percentages,,,yea, they're a bit confusing. If you read the articles, it states to do some warm-up sets to see where you are/how you're feeling that day. I don't worry about the exact percentages. I do a couple of warm-up sets, then up the weights. If I can get six reps easy, I do another warm-up set. Once I struggle to get six reps, I keep it there, then do the 2,2,2 portion. It usually takes about three warm up sets to see where I'm at. Another important thing...It took awhile for me to comprehend the concept of autoregulation. Once I did and accepted the fact that not all workouts are going to be an increase ( a few I've decreased the weight), I really felt better and saw my body grow. Anyway, good luck. don't worry about the exact percentages and just go with what feels good (for 6, 2, 2, 2) on any particular day. That's just my take.

Quote Originally Posted by greenpool View Post
    Hi there,

Just been reading the HCT-12 doco and I'm having a litte trouble comprehending the following:

"In simple terms, they are pretty much identical: one exercise per bodypart, ramping up to 6+2+2+2 for twelve total reps at 6RM for the day. So the last twelve reps are all above 80% 1RM and a few of the preceding ramped sets will be between 70% and 80%." (page 16)

So the exercise per body part would say be one arm dumbbell row (Horizontal Pulling).

So does that work out to be..
    one arm dumbell row:
    6 reps
    2 reps
    2 reps
    1 rep

Not sure how/where the following applies:
    "So the last twelve reps are all above 80% 1RM and a few of the preceding ramped sets will be between 70% and 80%"

I don't think i've got it right. Can someone clarify this for me? thanks.
    The 6 reps are at percentage of your 1rm..thats all. You just work up to about a 6 rep max, and then rack it, and proceed to the three sets of 2 reps..hence the 12 rep total. Its really straight forward and uncomplicated. "Feel" your way to a 6 rep max, rack, rest 30 sec or w/e, and do 2,2, and 2.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial