Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Just some journal

Just some journal

Alright, so I guess I'm gonna start a journal. I am a little nervous about putting all this stuff out there for all to see, but I guess that's kinda the point, right? To get some added motivation by having everyone able to see it, etc. So here goes nutin'.

Some basic background. I've always been big into cardio, aerobics mainly. I'm still into that, but I've been lifting on and off for a few months now...actually the first day I lifted was 3/24/2002. Till now, all my progress has been posted in Belial's journal, which makes sense because I've only ever lifted with him. I'll still mainly be lifting with him, but at least for the rest of the summer we are in two different places, so at the moment I'm more on my own in terms of actually getting the work out done.

My goals are as follows.
    1) I want to drop about 10 lbs. (I'm not gonna put my current weight because I'm allowed to have a few stupid female traits like not wanting to tell everyone how much I weigh...)
    2) Be strong. Yay. Woohoo. 'Nuff said.
    3) To for once in my life really be satisfied with my body, and in this case i mean the way my muscles look. I've become satisfied with everything else, I just really want to have good definition all over.
    **Sub-goals**
    -- leg definition
    --arm/shoulder definition
    --ab definition (some)
    4) To be able to do five pull-ups in a row.

Where I'm at as of right now....
    Since I work out with B, I guess I focus more on the PL lifts like he does. Like teacher, like student...or something
    Max lifts (one rep):
    Squat, 160
    Bench, 90
    Deadlift, 200
    Number of pullups, 3 in a row (though last one did have a finger-tip assist)
    Calf Raises (45 deg, including sled), 515
    There's other stuff, too, but I can't think of any of it right now. I'll worry about those as I start writing up workouts.

B helped me work out a specific diet (totally predictable) and workout schedule, but I'll post those later. I think diet has always been the hardest thing for me to do right. I tend to feel like I have to do something all or nothing, but I gotta work on that. Having a diet written out should help. Also, the workout is going to be a bit funny for a while as I figure out how to make it work where I am and with the facilities I currently have at my disposal...we'll see how it goes.

Okay, thats all for now.
    Last edited by Just some girl; 07-07-2002 at 09:55 PM.

Wuhoo! Yeah baby...

I gotta say, seeing those lifts written out, given the relatively short duration you've been lifting... that's very impressive. So... will short term goals include any other poundage increases?
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

With Belial as your teacher you can't help but succeed. Good luck on your journal.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Yeah, I absolutely want to increase the poundages of my lifts. I'm just not sure at the moment what my goals should be. Well, let's give 'er a go anyway....

I suppose for deads my goal is 225, cuz two plates per sides would be fockin' awesome. For squats, I'd love to catch it up to the deads, so 200. Dunno how long that will take...and by then maybe (hopefully) the deadlift will be higher...but yea, we'll say 200. Bench...I guess I'd just like to not feel silly using the little five and ten lb plates...I'd love to be able to get the 25s on there, and have it be solid. So that'd be 95. Which I think I could do in the not-too-distant future (hopefully). So let's shoot a little higher than that...say the 35s. So 115. Hehe. Wonder how long that will take. Probably a long time since I find bench very challenging. Calf raises....I just want to keep adding on as much as possible (oh yea, forgot to mention the 515 was not for one rep, but for 10, but the ROM on them wasnt the greatest). So yea, I guess those are my goals for now. Not really short term. But that's what I'd like to do. We'll see.

Originally posted by rookiebldr
    Good luck on your journal.
    Thanks!

Originally posted by rookiebldr
    With Belial as your teacher you can't help but succeed.
    He does rule, doesn't he? But don't tell him I said so.

*First official journal spamming*
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Best of luck with it all JSG.

Bespoke Super Mod
    Good luck with your training and diet Andrea
    "A + B + C = Success if, A = Hard Work, B = Hard Play, C = Keeping your mouth shut" -Albert
    Einstein

I've always gone to the gym with the conviction that I'll be the hardest working mother****er in the joint. Make that your credo, and hope we don't lift at the same place.
    -- Adam Fahy

"Fran is a double-hard bastard"- Clint Brewer 31/12/02

Damn, I think I'd hire Belial as my personal trainer

Anyways, best of luck working out more on your own now, and keep up the good work!

Originally posted by Savannah
    Damn, I think I'd hire Belial as my personal trainer
    Hehe. Me too. Too bad I would never be able to afford him if I did actually have to hire him!

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. It's really cool, and kinda a trip, to see.

Anyway, I just wanted to add one more thing at the outset here, just for my own personal....whatever you wanna call it. Just for my own reference, I suppose. As far as pullups go, I was always one of those kids in gym class who could never do a single one, or even a half. Always had to do the flexed arm hang or 15 pushups or whatever bullsh!t they had us do instead. And it always bothered me like crazy that 95% of the girls ended up doing the pullup alternative, while almost all (if not all) the guys could at least crank out one pull-up. So that's the reason why I'm really into them and being able to do a bunch is a big goal for me.

As long as I'm listing where I started out the very first time I tried this stuff, I think I'll list it all, so I can see where I was even before I started this journal. Squats, my very first max was 100 (for two, I believe). Bench, first max was 85 with finger-tip assist. Oy, very unimpressive improvement there! (It's also the lift I've been working the least in these few months, but no excuses! It will go up!!) Deadlift, it looks like it was 140, though I'm not positive. And I know I had some work on SLDLs and some kinda f*ckin' around attempts before I actually did that one day. But anyway, yea.

Okay, and with that I really need to get myself ready for work now! Later.

bone crusher

hehehehe

more to come later

bone crusher
    hey woman most people tend to deadlift more than they can squat anyway

Now isn't this more fun than cheerleading

hey now...lets not be knockin' cheerleaders!

but naw, i know what you mean. and yes, in this case, on the field is better than on the sidelines.

bone crusher
    so have you found access to a good gym in your current area?

"1) I want to drop about 10 lbs. (I'm not gonna put my current weight because I'm allowed to have a few stupid female traits like not wanting to tell everyone how much I weigh...)"
    no your not

Originally posted by Just some girl

Hehe. Me too. Too bad I would never be able to afford him if I did actually have to hire him!

As long as I'm listing where I started out the very first time I tried this stuff, I think I'll list it all, so I can see where I was even before I started this journal. Squats, my very first max was 100 (for two, I believe). Bench, first max was 85 with finger-tip assist. Oy, very unimpressive improvement there! (It's also the lift I've been working the least in these few months, but no excuses! It will go up!!) Deadlift, it looks like it was 140, though I'm not positive. And I know I had some work on SLDLs and some kinda f*ckin' around attempts before I actually did that one day. But anyway, yea.

Hopefully you won't ever have to pay.

One thing to note, though... squat form has definitely improved, besides poundages going up. The first time you deadlifted top down, 25 per side was a struggle. That was before lots of squatting, though. Bench....maybe not much of an improvement, but the poundage WILL start climbing. Tricep strength has increased, as has chest strength, so it's just a question of practicing the lift.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu

Let's face it, she's a stud

You'll bench 115 in no time with Belial training you.

If she ever outbenches me I'm gonna shoot myself though Belial
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

Originally posted by Just some girl

Yeah you could.

He's cheap. Real cheap.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Thanks, B. I hope you are right!

Goin_Big, you rule.

CD, haha....ouch. Careful, man. He may be cheap, but he's a large mammal. I try to avoid pissing him off. hahaha...who am i kidding??

doc...no, i havent found a good gym around here. not that there arent any, just that my schedule this summer has been really funky, and im not here enough for it to make sense for me to join one. anyway, yea. but that said, the place where i work (a rec center) has a little one that I'm gonna be using when I'm here. And then of course I'll be using WilRec the weekend(s) I'm at Duke, and then when I return to school for the fall.

Okay, so yea. I worked out today after work. Probably mostly just because I wanted to have a workout to record in this thing since I've started it and all. It wasn't one of the normal ones im going to use, but rather a combo of two days...

Shoulders/Arms (biceps, really)

Seated Dumbbell press
    15x8x2, 20x6x1

Lateral Raises
    15x8x2

Bent over lateral raises
    7x8x1, 7x10x1 (i could only find one 10lb DB, so i had to use the 7s. oh well.)

Concentration curls
    20x8x2

Hammer curls
    20x6x1

I was so beat from work. Today was really draining. That and the fact that I'd never worked out in this place before, and there were other people in the small weight room...I was really self-conscious about what I was doing. Okay, I'm gonna stop making excuses. Bottom line is it was a crappy workout, but hopefully the next one will be better.

Diet has been perfect so far today

Sleep, well, I didnt get enough. Maybe 5.5 hours? Not sure.

(Oh yea, and I'm beat, so if this makes no sense, my apologies. And I'm gonna work on being more concise in the future!!)

Hokay, that's all she wrote!
    Last edited by Just some girl; 07-08-2002 at 04:30 PM.

Shweet. No need to join a gym, I suppose, since you're only going to have another 6-7 workouts there this summer, correct? Good deal, though.

One thing to think about for your own reference... you might want to give a brief description of how each lift felt (perceived exertion etc.)... it'll give you a better idea week to week on how you're progressing. I'm hoping this is the first workout of a really long journal, and a lifelong interest.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Great progress so far and good luck reaching your new goals. The journal is a good idea. I'll have to use your progress to help push my girlfriend in the gym.

PS- a 225 dead would be schweetness!! More than some of the guys around here...*looks at Reindeer*
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

You are quite strong there andrea...my boy b might have to watch out, cause you'll be catching up to him
    May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

Figured I'd post the diet and workout routine I'm going to be using. Like I said, routine is not going to precisely following what is written out here for the next few weeks. And diet may have minor variations if I get sick of something. But it should all be relatively constant.

Diet:

Meal 1--
    1/2 cup oatmeal
    1 cup skim milk

Meal 2--
    Meal Replacement Protein Bar (300 cal)

Meal 3--
    Peanut butter sandwich (whole wheat bread, natural PB)
    Medium banana

Meal 4--
    1/2 cup rice (dry measure)
    8 oz chicken breast
    1/2 cup frozen broccoli

Meal 5--
    1 cup skim milk (only if unable to drink the cup of milk in the AM due to time crunch)

Routine:

Monday-- Off (maybe aerobics)

Tuesday-- Shoulders/Triceps
    Seated DB press
    Lateral raises
    Bent over lateral raises
    Skullcrushers
    Seated tricep extension

Wednesday-- Aerobics

Thursday-- Back/Abs
    Pull-ups
    Bent-over DB rows
    Hammer strength row
    Weighted crunches/crunches/weighted side bends

Friday-- Off

Saturday-- Chest/Biceps
    Bench press
    DB fly
    Concetration curls
    Hammer curls

Sunday-- Legs
    Squats
    Good mornings
    Leg press
    Calf raises
    Hamstring curls

Alright, and I think with that there is no more introductory mumbo jumbo that I need to post. OK. I'm outta here.

bone crusher
    no deads?

Looks like a good diet. I would only suggest a little fat in the morning- only because in the morning the body is most efficient at processing fat (according to dr. barry sears ) and it looks like your diet is less than 10% fat

doc...only no deads because of where I'm at right now. I think. I most certainly will be doing deadlifts. But not sure how it will work till I'm back at Duke. Hmm....we'll see. I have to do dead lifts if I wanna hit my deadlift goal, of course. Never fear. They will appear at some point.