The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Help w/ Lower Body Routine

I used to run XC and Track in high school so I couldn't do a lower body workout when I went to the gym. I ran distance so doing heavy squats/deadlifts AND running 5-8 miles a day would be killer on my legs, I was injured enough from the running alone.

Now I'm in college and I don't run competitively. I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions for a lower body workout that I can start out with. I'd like to start off easy because I recently recovered from an injured hip flexor. So an ideal plan, in my mind, is to have 2 lift days a week. I will incorporate sprinting into my lower body workouts every week as well but I will not be doing contrast training. The sprints will be on separate days, most likely the day before a lower body workout.

I'd like to train for strength (I'm sure the size will come if I eat and lift heavy). I'm thinking the 5x5 rep scheme would work well for any squats/deadlifts that I do.

Any suggestions for the lifts that I perform on my 2 lift days? I know how to do squats, deadlifts, lunges, good mornings, etc. I just need help creating a smart routine.

Thanks for your help.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    I think daily exercise is necessary to the lower body routine, and running is very important factor to the lower body routine, swimming is also very important role to the lower body routine, i also go to the gym daily and my body is normal and good.

Quote Originally Posted by csw31 View Post
    I used to run XC and Track in high school so I couldn't do a lower body workout when I went to the gym. I ran distance so doing heavy squats/deadlifts AND running 5-8 miles a day would be killer on my legs, I was injured enough from the running alone.

Now I'm in college and I don't run competitively. I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions for a lower body workout that I can start out with. I'd like to start off easy because I recently recovered from an injured hip flexor. So an ideal plan, in my mind, is to have 2 lift days a week. I will incorporate sprinting into my lower body workouts every week as well but I will not be doing contrast training. The sprints will be on separate days, most likely the day before a lower body workout.

I'd like to train for strength (I'm sure the size will come if I eat and lift heavy). I'm thinking the 5x5 rep scheme would work well for any squats/deadlifts that I do.

Any suggestions for the lifts that I perform on my 2 lift days? I know how to do squats, deadlifts, lunges, good mornings, etc. I just need help creating a smart routine.

Thanks for your help.
    I typically train Lower Body two times per week although my training is a bit different as one day is comprised of gym lifts and the other is strongman events (carrying heavy objects, total body movements, etc.). You could break down your template like this and do one day of gym lifts and one day of plyometrics/sprinting, or you could break down the gym lifts and do one day focused on max-effort (strength) and another focused on dynamic effort (speed) or volume (size).

Depending on your strength levels it may be taxing to deadlift and squat heavy in the same week so you could do a heavy squat / squat variation one week with a speed deadlift / deadlift variation and alternate to a heavy deadlift / variation the next week with a speed or volume squat / variation.

I would recommend spacing out the training days so that you have 2-3 days of rest between sessions.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com