The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Day 15 of 56
    Sunday, July 21st

Had to start work at 7am this morning, so I was out of bed at 6 this morning. I went to bed at midnight the night before so I only got 5-6 hours sleep.

Took the day as my first off day since starting on the new dieting phase. I shot for 1800 calories for the day and ended up with:

Calories = 1800
    Carbs = 88g = 20%
    Protein = 199g = 44%
    Fat = 73g = 36%

That evening I went clubbing with some buddies at around 11pm. We went to the same place as last week but there were like twice as many people for some reason. The dance floor was way too overcrowded. Had to be like 4 guys for every 1 girl out there. And I have nothing against black guys or anything but damn they get up there with every good looking white chick they can find on the dance floor and grind with her until she's too scared to dance anymore that night. Within a few hours of that the pickings were very poor and we called it a night.
    I did end up hitting it up with a few girls that night, but the one I was interested in, her fatass friend was following her around like she wanted a 3some or something. My buddy saw this after a while and came over and told me I was up for pool. Gave me a good out. The rest of the night the two chicks were eye balling me all night. I didn't bother making eye contact with her anymore though. I didn't need that crap.

When I got home at 3:00am I had my last meal of the night - 1 can tuna, 2 tsp Udo's Oil, 1 pack metamucil.

I'm setting my alarm for 10am tomorrow as I wanna hit the weights before I have work at 4.

Another day in the books.
    "They will spend their nights dreaming of six-pack
    abs and a rock hard physique, little do they realize eventually we will reach
    our goal and they will be dreaming of the body we walk around with every
    day…only then will they understand." -- Severed Ties

"There are 6 billion people in this world, and I'm #1." -- me

Day 16 of 56
    Monday, July 22nd

Set my alarm and woke up at 10am. Got about 6 1/2 hours sleep but had to get up then cause I wanted to workout before going to work at 4pm again. Today was chest/back day. Got a pretty good pump. Most of the lifts were up a tad from the previous week. However that evening my lower-mid back tightened up badly. Its a bit better today but darn was it a pain the butt yesterday. I think it was from a mixture of dancing for several hours and the back workout the next morning.

Diet was normal. Still shooting for 1900 calories. At the end of the day it looked like:

Calories = 1881
    Carbs = 183g = 39%
    Protein = 192g = 41%
    Fat = 42g = 20%

Not bad at all. Tomorrow its cardio day and another step closer to my goal.

Day 17 of 56
    Tuesday, July 23nd

Another typical cardio day. Decided to do 30 min fast-paced incline walk on the treadmill again with some quick 1 min sprints at 11mph here and there. About 3 of them I think. These new shoes are still feeling great. I only put them on when I get to the gym or go to a track.

I picked up some psyllium husk powder today to help soften up my stools. I took the first 2tsp shot in water before bed. As I mentioned in the dieting forum, it wasn't pleasant but was bearable. That was a quick 8g of fiber. I'll probably start shooting for 20g (16g fiber) / day, especially on my cardio days.

Spoke with an x-scout that evening and he's gonna start doing batting practice with me this sunday. So I'm very excited about that.

Today's totals were:

Calories = 1885
    Carbs = 99g = 21%
    Protein = 212g = 45%
    Fat = 72.5g = 35%
    Fiber = 24g!

Yes thats right. Fiber I got up to 24g on a day with <100g carbs!
    Tomorrow I'll try sprinkling 5g servings on my oatmeal.

Cya tomorrow.

Day 18 of 56
    Wednesday, July 24nd

I had a much better leg workout today than last week's. Only glitch in the workout was this damn guy who loaded up like 25 plates on the leg press for an hour and did calf presses off them, so I had to use the nautilis leg press. Didn't feel like asking to get in and have to help him unload a dozen plates.
    When I did my own 5 min (2 sets) calf workout their strength was up too so all was looking good.

Diet was as solid as could be. I added a whopping 25g of psyllium husk powder throughout the day. I found an easier mixture for it. I just put 5g in about 1 cup of water. I can easily down that. Today's grand totals were:

Calories = 1881
    Carbs = 183g = 39%
    Protein = 192g = 41%
    Fat = 42g = 20%
    Fiber = 36g

I should be shitting like a horse soon.

Tomorrow I may decide to drop calories down to 1800 on cardio days only while keeping weight days at 1900. Fat loss isn't as quick this week, so I wanna pick it up a knotch. I don't want my body to stagnate the least bit through this diet phase.

We'll see depending on my weigh-in tomorrow.

On a side note I got a big phone call today. I have a job interview with an armored security firm next tuesday. The starting wages are almost $11/hour and can work up to $18/hour over time. I'm pretty excited about that as being an armed security guard is a huge stepping stone to getting into any police force. Plus it'll give me much more money than I'm making now. A great job for while I'm going through school. I sure hope I get it. Wish me luck.

Day 19 of 56
    Thursday, July 25

Today was cardio day. I decided to hit up the x-trainer for 30 min. Not a bad workout but I'm becoming to accustomed to the motion and I feel like my body isn't working as hard to perform the task. I made sure to stretch for 5 min following again, and for the first time in 4 years I tried to do the splits. And I got down on fully on the first try! I guess that proves muscle memory exists..hehe.. I'm going to continue and increase my flexibility for baseball.

Diet was good. Went to the beach with some friends for a few hours in the afternoon. Brought with me a pack of tuna and almonds and ate them right there while tanning at one point. I got the chance to play some catch, and my arm was still feeling very strong. We got out to a pretty far distance and I was nailing it on the target good. In fact, it's never felt so strong.

I ended up deciding to drop cals to 1800 for the day. It went well. The finaly tally was:

Calories = 1800
    Carbs = 92g = 20%
    Protein = 214g = 48%
    Fat = 63.5g = 32%

I'm still taking lots of psyllium husk powder everyday. I'll make sure my daily dietary fiber intake is always 25-40g.

Tomorrow night I may be going clubbing at this big place we haven't been to in a while. The jury is still out on whether or not I'll have any alcoholic beverages. If I do it won't be a lot, and either way, I'll be skipping my conventional refeed this week. I'm not impressed with the results from it so far and think at this stage they aren't needed.

Tomorrow is Shoulder, Tri's, Bi's, and Abs. I look forward to it.

Day 20 of 56
    Friday, July 26th

Holy ****. During my workout today I slowly felt a kink in my neck coming on, but didn't really think anything of it. The workout was pretty solid. Hammered my shoulders,tri's,bi's and some solid ab work. However, as the day went on my neck slowly stiffened up tighter and tighter and now waking up I'm in major pain.

I obviously didn't go out last night to the clubs and managed to stick with my diet 100%. The total was:

Calories = 1895
    Carbs = 185g = 39%
    Protein = 193g = 41%
    Fat = 42g = 20%

This week I lost only 0.5lbs on the scale so I feel its time to adjust my calorie and macro plan slightly. I'll be basically eating 1800cal / day now and switching from a 40/40/20 split on workout days to a 30/50/20 split. It will look something like this now:

Workout Days
    Calories = 1800
    Carbs = 135g = 30%
    Protein = 225g = 50%
    Fats = 62g = 20%

Cardio Days
    Cals = 1800
    Carbs = 90g = 20%
    Protein = 202g = 45%
    Fats = 70g = 35%

Off Days
    Cals = 1800
    Carbs = 90g = 20%
    Protein = 202g = 45%
    Fats = 70g = 35%

Through gradual testing I've found my body definately doesn't like carbs. I'm going to try this slightly lower carb plan and see if fat accelerates. The diet has still been going gradually well. I'm almost 3 weeks in, and have lost 2.5lbs. Since my lifts aren't hurting much, I doubt I've lost much muscle out of that. I just wanna try with around the same calorie intake but lower carbs now and see how my body responds.

Tomorrow is the end of 3 weeks of straight dieting.

Good luck with the diet adjustment Avatar. Hope things work out well for you and your fat-loss goals. Losing fat is a real b*tch but if your diet is in order usually it happens quickly.

Day 21 of 56
    Saturday, July 27th

Yipee, all complete 3 weeks of strict dieting. Only 5 more to go.

My neck was still spasming bad yesterday, and still is today. I have no idea how I hurt it but I may go to a massage therapist friend I know later today. I'm on robaxecet right now.

All I could do for cardio was 30 min on the stationary bike. Fairly light-medium intensity. Kept my heart rate at around 130bpm. Following that I went into the sausana at my gym for 10 min, then off home to get ready to head back into work.

I'm on the adjusted diet plan now. This calls for 1800 calories everyday. Today's totals were:

Calories = 1785
    Carbs = 92g = 21%
    Protein = 204g = 46%
    Fat = 68g = 34%

Other than this pain in the ass neck spasms the day went fairly well. Tomorrow I was scheduled to do wind sprints out at the track, but will be skipping those and probably hopping on the bike and then in the sauna again.

Day 22 of 56
    Sunday, July 28th

Neck was marginally better today but still too sore to do any weights. I ended up going on the bike again for 30 min followed by 15 min in the whirlpool/sauna. I didn't get ahold of my massage therapist friend so couldn't get that done. I may try later today again.

Stuck to the same diet. 1800 cals. It looked like this yesterday:

Calories = 1798
    Carbs = 91g = 20%
    Protein = 205g = 46%
    Fat = 67g = 34%

Oh ya and that psyllium husk powder really works wonders on my bowel system. I'm still knocking back 15-25g of that / day.

I'm gradually seeing improvements in definition. I was considering trying out some yohiburn but may opt against it for this phase. I wanna see how bad my genes are first I guess and whether or not I will need that kind of assistance. The last bit of fat genetically stays on my lower abs and love handles. But I may crack the SOBs by the end of 5 strict more weeks of dieting. Too early to tell yet. I'm just gradually getting into a low cal / low carb diet now.

Day 23 of 56
    Monday, July 29th

Neck still strained like a tight lil pus.. *oh ya, public board, we won't go there*.
    I finally got a hold of my friend and she gave me a 30 min massage. She said she hadn't felt a back with muscles so tight in a long time. I told her I never do any upper body stretching.
    She said I need to start stretching my neck and back more often or it can only get worse. She did a good job though and felt like she was moving my traps around. We'll see how it is in a few days. I'm tempted to workout still tomorrow cause its been 3 days off and I'm going away to a cottage on the weekend so I gotta hit up them weights soon.

So ya, I took the day completely off weights and cardio. Was basically a lazy ass day. I decided to do a lil reading and got back into an old novel I never finish called Otherland v.4, by Tad Williams. One of the best sci-fi novels of the 90s without doubt. Big ass though. 4 novels of 800-900 pages completes the series.
    If it was ever produced into a movie it would have one of the best storylines ever, but that won't happen cause the movie would have to be around 15-20 hours just to get the full-scope of the movie.

I lowered my cals to 1700 for the day since I was sitting on my ass most of it. Kept the same off day macro split, but just lowered the numbers accordingly:

Calories = 1703
    Carbs = 76g = 18%
    Protein = 186g = 44%
    Fat = 65g = 34%

I was craving carbs a lil in the early afternoon yesterday. I think its just a hormonal response to my 3 days of <100g carbs which is the longest since starting this diet phase. I'm going to try to get in a chest/back workout tomorrow and a refeed day, since I haven't had one in about 11 days. It'll be a strict 2900 cal, 55% carb refeed like I've been having. If that goes well, my next scheduled refeed will be in another 11 days (1 1/2 weeks) - Saturday, August 10th.

Day 24 of 56
    Tuesday, July 30th

Tried working out today with my sore neck and that didn't go well. Cut my workout short as if I kept going I would have hurt it even more.

I had a refeed today and also had my interview with the armored delivery service. Both went well. I'll find out if I get the job next week.

I'm reporting today a few days later as my monitor blew on my computer and I just got a brand new flat screen monitor set up today.

Day 25 of 56
    Wednesday, July 31

Well I'm drifting at around 10% if you take away some of this water weight. I'm wondering about something though. I've been dieting stricly for the last 4 weeks and haven't lost as much fat as expected. I can clearly see 4 abs but can't get the last layer of fat around my lower abs off. I have been dieting unsuccessfully and slowly since late march and I think my body has come to the point now where it can't lose a productive amount of fat as compared to muscle. I'm now contemplating giving up on the diet and going on a slow bulk phase.

I'm just feeling down right now with this sore neck, not being able to work and slow fat loss. I think I need to add more size anyways so that next summer I'll be able to rip up easier since I'll have added mass.

Anyways today I ate:
    Calories = 1703
    Carbs = 76g = 18%
    Protein = 186g = 44%
    Fat = 65g = 34%

This weekend I go up to a friend's cottage for 3 days and I feel like being a glutton and kicking off my mass phase to some beer, bbq steak, hamburgers, etc.
    Last edited by Avatar; 08-01-2002 at 02:03 PM.

If you stop cutting, will you still keep this journal?
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
    If you stop cutting, will you still keep this journal?
    I've been giving it some thought Robboe and I may try a new approach. I think I may go back to NHE cause I've found that I just can't get under 10% easily with a moderate carb diet. I've been down to ~9% at the start of the year with NHE but I lost a bit of strength and muscle.
    So what I may do is have a plain 'ole cheat day for mental satiety, and start the 7 day metabolic shift friday. When I'm at the cottage for the weekend I'll eat lots of eggs, meats, tuna, etc, but no carbs, and when I'm back home I'll be on a more comfortable and precise diet.

I'll report on exactly what I'll do tomorrow, and if I do go the NHE route for the month of August, I'll keep this journal going.

Day 26 of 56
    Thursday, August 1st

Yesterday I was the glutton of all gluttons. I craved carbs and I sure went for it. By the end of the day I felt like I was gonna be sick. Didn't even like the crap all that much. Oh well, I suppose I did say I'd have 1 cheat day sometime half way through. I was just going so well the last couple weeks, I thought I was gonna make it the full 8.

Tomorrow I start NHE and will see how that goes. It will last a short 4 weeks. It'll get the carbs right out of my system and out of my memory and should put me at a decent bf for september.

Day 27 of 56
    Friday, August 2nd

Today was the first day to the new NHE diet.

I'm not training at all again till monday so today was another off day from the gym.

So I have to start off by doing the 7-day metabolic shift. For those of you who are unfamiliar with NHE, this means that for the next 7 days I have to keep my carb intake to under 20g daily.

Today, I ate the following:

Meal 1: 11:00: 3 Whole Eggs (275,2,17,21)
    6 tbsp Egg Whites (47,1,10,0)

Calories = 322
    Carbs = 3g
    Protein = 27g
    Fat = 21g

Meal 2: 1:30: 100g Tuna (116,0,27,1)
    30g Peanut Butter (128,5,8,15)

Calories = 244
    Carbs = 5g
    Protein = 35g
    Fat = 16g

Meal 3: 4:00: 5oz Salmon (258,0,36,12)
    50g Broccoli (14,2,1,0)

Calories = 272
    Carbs = 2g
    Protein = 37g
    Fat = 12g

Meal 4: 6:30: 4oz Chicken (215,0,38,5)
    1 slice Cheddar Cheese (79,1,5,6)
    50g Broccoli (14,2,1,0)

Calories = 308
    Carbs = 3g
    Protein = 43g
    Fat = 11g

Meal 5: 9:00: 2 Whole Eggs (183,1,12,14)
    12 tbsp Egg Whites (94,1,20,0)

Calories = 277
    Carbs = 2g
    Protein = 32g
    Fat = 14g

Meal 6: 11:30: 100g Tuna (116,0,27,1)
    3 tbsp Egg Whites (23,0,5,0)
    2 tsp Udo's Oil (135,0,0,15)

Calories = 297
    Carbs = 0g
    Protein = 32g
    Fat = 16g

Daily Total:

Calories = 1720
    Carbs = 15g = 03%
    Protein = 206g = 48%
    Fat = 90g = 47%
    Sodium = 2175mg

-----------------------------

I always did appreciate the simplicity of the NHE diet. And eating lots of eggs and peanut butter is a close second to oatmeal and rice, so in that respect it isn't all that bad. I was still bloated today from the previous day's feast, but today was positive.

Tomorrow I'm off to cottage country and I'm gonna try and be eating primarily eggs, steak, pork, bacon, fish, etc., all weekend. Gonna attempt to stay on the diet and keep carbs to <20g / day.

I probably won't be reporting again until monday. Have a good weekend all.

Days 28-30 of 56
    Saturday, August 3rd
    Sunday, August 4th
    Monday, August 5th

Well Saturday I did well and managed to stick to the diet on the whole 6 hour trip to the cottage and while there. Ate tuna, eggs, roast beef for supper, and salad with high fat caesar dressing. The sunday is when they finally cracked me. I was up there with some people who LOVE to eat. They eat toast and butter with everything and continually offered me food all day. I finally gave in to the gluttons and ate like a ****. Monday was the ride home and was the same thing since I was already out of the NHE metabolic shift. I did finally find the Krispy Kreme donuts in Mississauga on my way through and damn those original glazed are godly. I knocked back a 6-pack in less than 10 min.

*slaps self*

oh ya so anyways, tomorrow I'll go on NHE again as I don't expect anymore interruptions till the start of school. I'm slowly seeing my abs disappear so I gotta pick it up again. I pretty much lost all progress I made in the last 4 weeks and some. I'm gonna start a new journal tomorrow that is focused on the NHE diet. I'm gonna try that for 4-6 weeks and I'll be happy with just getting down to 9-10% again. That'll put me into a good position to slow bulk. Gotta get my mind back into the game. Its so easy to slip up once in a while and enjoy yourself.

This is the end to this journal. Refer to my newly created journal tomorrow for continued day to day updates.
    Last edited by Avatar; 08-05-2002 at 10:21 PM.