Thread: Question on back routine. Chris ?? anyone

Blue veined member !

Question on back routine. Chris ?? anyone

Hmm I was just thinking, I`m following a low volume routine at the minute and when I train back I do 6 sets to failure at 8 - 10 reps.

Deadlifts x 2
    Vertical row ( usually hammer strength pulldowns ) x 2
    Horizontal row ( seated row or hammer low row ) x 2...
    I cant do chins yet as this damn chest injury is still bugging me...

however.....all are supposed to be to failure but when I do deadlifts I cant really take these to failure as my grip always gives out?? So I`m going to failure on forearms but not back so should I ...

a) Drop the weight slightly so I can hit my back til failure in a slightly higher rep range?

b) Do a few more sets eg. 2 sets of dumbell rows to failure ?

When I finish my last set I feel like I can do a lot more, I know that always happens on low volume routines but its worse for back as I know I havent gone to complete failure on all sets where say I was training chest I know I would be.

What would YOU do ???
    Rememeber after every dark night, comes a bright day so no matter how hard it gets stick ya chest out, keep ya head up and handle it ! - Tupac shakur

Unlike 99% of the people on this site (and others), I don't consider deads to be a "back day" exercise. I consider my "back" day to be for my lats. Of course I realize other muscles get hit in the process, but I primarily try to target my lats. Yes, I know that deads will work the traps and lats to some degree, but not in the same fashion as rows etc. So, I suggest you drop deads from your "back" day.

I'm with Mr. Mason.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

bone crusher
    If you're going heavy i would give them their own day.

Blue veined member !
    Ok I`m currently doing this

back
    chest and triceps
    off
    legs
    shoulders and biceps
    off
    off

Where do deads fit in ? Cant do them on leg day as I squat...awwwwww darn I was just starting to really enjoy them as well. So any suggestions on how I can chop it up a little and still allow for deads without too much overlap ?
    Rememeber after every dark night, comes a bright day so no matter how hard it gets stick ya chest out, keep ya head up and handle it ! - Tupac shakur

Do them on leg day before you squat, like I do. It works, it doesn't overwork your back.

I don't know...doing heavy deads and heavy squats in the same day I think would be a bit ludicrous. Sure you could alternate heavy and light between the two, but putting deads on back day and then allowing the appropriate recovery before leg day for squats seems better to me. And you are working your erector spinae hard, so it is still a back exercise, despite also being a leg exercise. I tend to feel it in my back the next day, moreso than in my legs. I think deads are a very unique exercise and sometimes requires a bit of thought before including them into your program.

My advice would be to try them on both days and see which one feels better.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer