Page 11 of 59 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: MonStar's FINAL Journal

Originally posted by Magnus
    Squats and Bench were essentially what Magnus was talking about. We have examined your squat ROM in other threads and if you had to do a legal squat it would probably be 350 or lower instead of 450 (Wasn't it Belial who lost 100 from changing his ROM to legal depth?). Magnus has a friend who leg presses 1000+ (last workout you were in the 600s) and his LEGAL squat PR - Magnus spotted it - is 305.
    Why are you talking in the 3rd person?

Anyway you arent really Magnus from the World's Strongest Man are you? Just wondering. Anyway I dont really care about whats a "legal" squat in a powerlifting competition and whats not. I am going down to what's comfortable for me. Thats right around 1-2" above parallel. I dont personally believe this is much of a problem.

Yeah B did lose 100 lbs. on his squat when he went lower than he normally did. The reason that my leg press is so low is because the squats completely wipe me out. I mean they wipe me out to the point where I am so f*cking exausted its unreal. Especially my last few sets.

Why not just put 600 lbs. on your back, bend your legs a touch, and call it a squat max?? It's essentially the same thing. Mike, just lift for yourself and do what makes you happy- but if you are going to have your PRs as your SIGNATURE, why not specify for everyone else and yourself it's with a cheat or not a full ROM.
    Thats not even comparable to what I do. Going an inch or two above "legal" squat depth isnt THAT much of a difference. Maybe I miss the sticking point. Okay whatever fine. I mean honestly thats not going to change the lift completely. I mean *maybe* it does make a bigger difference than I imagine. But I just dont think going down that last inch or two is necessary. Its discomforting and unnecessary in my eyes.

Does Magnus think you use a cheat on your Barbell Curls, or that your form looks like Arnold's (great scene in Pumping Iron) when you do your flyes? Honestly no. That doesn't mean you are a liar - not at all, a lot of people support you at WBB - It's just you bounce from routine to routine and journal to journal and diet to diet, so it seems consistent with that behavior that your form/ROM on certain exercises might not be "perfect."

Not trying to knock you here or offend you, just trying to help. Hey, you're up to day 8 on this journal, so let's see what happens...
    I dont cheat on my barbell curls, or on my DB flyes AT ALL. Not even a little bit. I dont think that I touch the floor in the way that Arnold does but I go down pretty damn far. Actually really far because I get and incredible strength in my pecs from these. I am glad that you think a lot of people support me. I think its less than you think though.

Look back at everything people have posted here in my journal. How much of it is actually POSITIVE? Not as much as you would think I am afraid. I am going to stick with this routine. But God knows whatsup with my diet.

Originally posted by Marcel
    Yea, I thought I had read something like that before and it was indeed Par Deus. (give him credit where it's due dawg.)

I've got my own hybrid-plan for fat loss also.

Anyways good luck. It will work. Stick to it.
    Yeah it was Par Deus. I think that he deserves credit for his knowledge in nutritional science etc. And the horomonal effect of food etc.

What is your hybrid-plan for fat loss, out of curiosity?

Thanks for the support Marcel, definitely appreciate it. Please continue checking out my journal.

Mike - It's in my journal on the last page I think. I will be more specific later.

No problem. Keeps me wanting to catch you up on those fuken squats.
    "In the grand scheme of things, both things are quite superficial(obsessed with being muscular&ripped and incredibly strong). And yet lifting can teach you so much. My time at the gym--at least when I'm lifting--is invariably the high-point of my day. There aren't any questions; I almost don't even think. I go into an almost meditative trance-like state. Day-to-day worries become insignificant. I'm focused solely on the weight, and my reason for existence is clear. To move the bar and to improve on what I accomplished last time. Seldom are things so simple." - Blood&Iron

"Most people cannot understand what burns in our blood, the gym is our addiction and iron is our drug. People don't understand why we commit hours a day to a goal where progress is so small it seems immeasurable, why we do cardio instead of watch TV, why eat 6 meals a day, why we insist on ordering diet soda or how we can drink skim milk. Most people will simply never grasp why we refuse to settle for a mediocre body." - Severed Ties

Originally posted by lronMan

I know that it can get very annoying with me changing diets etc.
    No probs. There is just no reason that it should bother me, I mean it's your diet, your body and your routine.

When are you starting HST? I keep seeing "pre HST" in your journal.
    I have a break coming up at the end of the month when I won't be lifting for a few days. I figured that if I plan things out right, then I can extend those days into the deconditioning time and take 9 days off. What I want to do right now is make sure that I know the exercises that I'm going to do and what my maxes will be. I figure next Wednesday will be my last workout on my current routine. By then, I should be ready with exercises.

See you later.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Strongman
    "Going an inch or two above "legal" squat depth isnt THAT much of a difference. Maybe I miss the sticking point. Okay whatever fine. I mean honestly thats not going to change the lift completely. "

It does change it completely, but you are missing the point/suggestion. Who are you competing against by posting a 425 x 6 squat when it's probably "really" only 325 x 6. You say anything lower feels uncomfortable - that sounds like a sign of bad form - and you could get injured or be wasting time doing a less efficient ROM. You also complained about your leg size a few weeks back and asked for ideas - how about doing deeper squats? Of course deeper squats would lower your poundage dramatically, just like doing a full ROM deadlift would. It's the weight thing again...

"Why are you talking in the 3rd person?"

Magnus always talks in the 3rd person Mike Good luck with this routine.
    Four-Time World's Strongest Man

Originally posted by Marcel
    Mike - It's in my journal on the last page I think. I will be more specific later.

No problem. Keeps me wanting to catch you up on those fuken squats.
    Okay Marcel Ill definitely check it out and let you know what I think immediately. This kind of diet, 36 hours dieting with 12 hours refeeding, really isnt designed for all-out fat-loss. I mean maybe 4-5 days of dieting with a refeed would be more optimal for straight up fat-loss.

I am training as you know for size and strength as well as gradual fat-loss. The only problem is that this time around I need the discipline to stick to these advanced dieting techniques.

Originally posted by rookiebldr
    No probs. There is just no reason that it should bother me, I mean it's your diet, your body and your routine.
    Yeah I know youre exactly right rookiebldr. But then again some people are more immature than others. There is no reason that me changing my diet should affect ANYONE but me. Thats what I think at least.

I have a break coming up at the end of the month when I won't be lifting for a few days. I figured that if I plan things out right, then I can extend those days into the deconditioning time and take 9 days off. What I want to do right now is make sure that I know the exercises that I'm going to do and what my maxes will be. I figure next Wednesday will be my last workout on my current routine. By then, I should be ready with exercises.

See you later.
    Okay man good idea. Strategic deconditioning is an extremely important aspect of HST if you ask me. Everyone seems to make a huge deal out of it. Good luck with HST man I thought it was a solid program. I much prefer a split routine but thats just my personal preference. You may prefer HST.

It does change it completely, but you are missing the point/suggestion. Who are you competing against by posting a 425 x 6 squat when it's probably "really" only 325 x 6. You say anything lower feels uncomfortable - that sounds like a sign of bad form - and you could get injured or be wasting time doing a less efficient ROM. You also complained about your leg size a few weeks back and asked for ideas - how about doing deeper squats? Of course deeper squats would lower your poundage dramatically, just like doing a full ROM deadlift would. It's the weight thing again...
    I guess I am basically posting against Belial. Haha j/k. In all reality though I go down whats comfortable for me. I am competing with myself. The more that I increase - the better. I really dont give a sh*t what other people squat. I mean if they go down to rock bottom parallel then I respect that. I go an inch or two above.

I complained about not wanting my thighs to get much bigger. Nothing about my legs being too small at all. I like the way that my legs are now I really dont want them to get much bigger to tell you the truth.

Magnus always talks in the 3rd person Mike Good luck with this routine.
    Haha okay man. I know this is probably a stupid question but are you really the guy from the World's Strongest Man competitions?

DAY 9 | 7-18-2002

Comments.
    • ----------------------------------------------------------------
      Feel fat today. Very very very fat and soft. Binged last night on pizza and hot wings and soda and everything else. What the hell else is new!? I dont know what my problem is obviously this summer just isnt working out for my diet wise. Hopefully Ill get my act together for August and the next few months.

Changed the layout of my journal a little bit today. Instead of having a whole separate thing for supplements I simply added them to my meals. Any time something is mixed together I use a + and anytime it is just in addition I use a , just so there's no confusion.

I have a feeling that I am going to get some excellent results with this way of eating. 36 hours of dieting followed by 12 hours of refeeding seems like a great idea for gaining LBM and losing fat. I am going to *try* and stick with this for more than 2-12 days. Well see how things go.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------

Diet/Supplements.
      Meal 1: Metrx MRP + 8 oz. skim milk, multi-vitamin/mineral, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E, 1 Adrenalin

Meal 2: 3 cups Honey Grahams cereal + 16 oz. skim milk + 1 apple, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E, 250 mg. ALA

Preworkout: 5cc Liquid Clenbutrx

During Workout: 32 oz. Gatorade + 5g creatine + 5g glutamine + 1/2 tsp. salt

Postworkout: 1/2 serving Cell-Tech + 5g creatine + 250 mg. ALA, 2 servings whey protein, 3g l-arginine

Meal 5: Caramel Creams, Mike & Ikes, 20 oz. Vanilla Coke, 250 mg. ALA

Meal 6: 2 Luna bars, 16 oz. Yoohoo

Meal 7: 3 cups Lucky Charms, 32 oz. skim milk, 250 mg. ALA, multi-vitamin/mineral, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E

Meal 8: 6 Snackwell cookies, Runts

Wow this should be very very interesting. I have implemented a few things that I have never done before. The first is starting my refeed preworkout instead of my usual postworkout. The second thing is sipping on Gatorade with 5g creatine and 5g glutamine during my workout to keep my cortisol levels up. And the last thing is breaking my ALA dosages into 250 mg. rather than two 500 mg. doses. Well see how things go with this.

Another thing that I did was take in a piece of fruit 2 hours before my workout. Hopefully this will fill my liver glycogen stores and that way Ill fully deplete them during my workout. Well see how things go I guess.

*Also* I dropped a few supplements. I drink enough milk to get my calcium so I dropped that. Dropped the usnic acid because my diets been such a f*cking joke I am just wasting that supplement. Um... I am going to be taking 5g glutamine with my workout now so dropped it before bed. I didnt think it did much there anyway. I also dropped the 1g of ginger and the 250 mg. Aminogen from postworkout. I think that this sh*t was just excess personally. Just my opinion obviously. I am going to keep the l-arginine for extra glycogen replenishment though.

Pain/Soreness.
      Chest is completely killing me along with my front and side delts. My triceps really arent that bad at all I dont think. Chest is completely f*cked though.

Sleep.
      Last night I got 8 hours of sleep. Slept really really well for the most part.

Training. Pull.
      Wide-grip Underhand Chins:

-40 x 6, -20 x 6, BW x 6, +65 x 4.5 (!), +45 x 6.5, +25 x 6.5

Good sets of chins today. Dropped my partial deadlifts which I think might have helped. Regardless, did some hard a*s sets of chins today. Started off with some easy warmups just going the motions pretty much. Finally jumped to my workset, which was +65 lbs. for 4.5 reps. New PB! Up one rep from the most that I have ever done before. Thats always a good thing. Going to increase to +70 lbs. next week which will be extremely impressive for me. Next work set was +45 for 6.5 which was also up a rep from last week. Nice hard set. Going to increase to +50 lbs. next week for my second work set. See how that goes. Hit my lats hard with these 2 sets at this point my lats were f*cking fried. Finished up with +25 lbs. for 6.5. This is up a rep from last week but not too good because like I said my lats are just aching at this point. Good pump.

Supported Underhand Rows:

230 x 4.5 (!), 210 x 6.5, 190 x 7.5

Nice sets of lever rows today. Really really really hit my lats hard wtih some good reps. Exausted my lats 100% with this exercise. Ribs were actually hurting in the movement because of all the pressure on them. Haha thats just something that I am going to have to get used to because I want to be pulling 300 lbs. for reps by Christmas time. Well see. Started with 230 lbs. for 4.5 reps - new PB!! Up a rep from last week which was a good thing. Going to hit up 235 lbs. next week and see how that goes. Next work set I dropped to 210 lbs. where I got 6.5 reps. Which is also up a rep from last week which is a good thing. Nice increase I think. Going to jump to 215 lbs. next week see how that goes. Again my lats were just f*cking dead at this point. Last set was 190 lbs. for 7.5 reps. Not too bad. Lats were exausted. Good pump.

Dumbbell Shrugs:

100 x 5.5, 90 x 7, 80 x 8.5

Nice slow reps today. Really squeezed my traps extremely hard. Good hard stretch at the bottom of each and every rep. Really hammered my traps 110%. Awesome grip and trap workout to be honest really loved doing these. Going to bring my own DBs to the gym next week for these and hit up the 105s since my first work set was 100s for 5.5. Not too hard either so I should be fine. Next work set was the 90s for 7 reps. So Ill jump to the 95s next week and see how that goes. Should be cake. Final set was the 80s which also was pretty easy. Going to increase to the 85s next week. Well see. Awesome contractions in my traps with this movement.

Standing Barbell Curls:

125 x 4.5 (!), 105 x 6.5

Nice sets of BB curls today!! Really hit my biceps extremely hard. My forearms were already pumped from the DB shrugs so this movement just pumped my biceps and forearms beyond belief!! My arms measured 16.75" after this workout, and my forearms measured 13." This is up .75" in my arms and .5" in my forearms. Nice pumped up measurements if you ask me. Kind of motivational. Anyway hit 4.5 reps with 125 lbs. which is up a rep from last week. Which obviously signifies that Ill be increasing to 130 lbs. next week. That should be impressive. Curious to see how my body handles that. Next set dropped to 105 lbs. which was pretty easy vs. the first set. Got 6.5 reps. Which means Ill increase to 110 lbs. next week. Those are some pretty impressive lifts for next week if you ask me. 130 and 110 lbs. curls. Cant wait to curl with the 45s on each side...

Alternating Dumbbell Hammer Curls:

55 x 6 (!)

Awesome set of hammers today!! Really contracted my arms hard. Hit the f*cking sh*t outta my brachialis and brachioradialis. Totally demolished them both. Good pump and awesome way to finish my workout. Last week I hit up the 50s and got 6.5 reps. Today I hit up the 55s and got 6 reps. Nice increase. Going to go all out for the 60s next week and see how that goes. Probably only going to get 3-4 reps though but oh well. Love getting stronger baby!! Really enjoy increasing week after week after week.

Training Length.
      Lasted 35 minutes today. Actually a lot briefer that I would have guessed. Looked at my stopwatch in a bit of surprise.

Weight.
      First thing in the morning, without clothes, after using the restroom, I weighed 208.5 lbs. Haha just a shame actually. Kind of pissed kind of just laughing about it like what the hell. Up a lot been consistently gaining weight when my goal is to DROP weight. Pissing me off more than anything else.
    Last edited by MonStar; 08-15-2002 at 10:14 PM.

Feel fat today. Very very very fat and soft. Binged last night on pizza and hot wings and soda and everything else. What the hell else is new!?
    Are you eating normal food now everyday? or are you following some weird calorie counting program again?

I dont know what my problem is obviously this summer just isnt working out for my diet wise. Hopefully Ill get my act together for August and the next few months.
    Don't hold it off any longer! you'll just keep putting it aside. Do you have a partner in crime who binges with you? If you do maybe you can tell them you can't be doing this anymore and you need to have them support you
    No Pain, No Gain!

"Love changes, and best friends become strangers" - NaS

Originally posted by gregnb
    Are you eating normal food now everyday? or are you following some weird calorie counting program again?
    Nah I dont know I am doing 36 hours of dieting followed by 12 hours of refeeding. Well see how things go with this. I am expecting some very good results to be completely honest. Haha I guess you could say I am following a wierd calorie counting program again.

Don't hold it off any longer! you'll just keep putting it aside. Do you have a partner in crime who binges with you? If you do maybe you can tell them you can't be doing this anymore and you need to have them support you
    Yeah I know I gotta get my sh*t together. What the f*ck am I doing this is the easiest diet in the WORLD to stay on if I wasnt so pathetic I would be able to stick to it. I can have low-fat ice-cream and soda every other f*cking day!! I mean its not going to get much easier than this sh*t and I still s*ck at it.

This is such a shame.

Bro I seriously think you have an eating disorder. You remind me of a girl who complains about how fat she is and then goes home and pigs out on junk food. If you feel fat all the time ... CHANGE YOUR DIET!!!!!! As someone stated previously (I don't remember who, my apologies), your refeeds are fu*king everything up for you. When you binge on food, your body expects to be given that same calorie load and then you go and deprive it for 36 hours and binge again. When you don't keep a steady base of calories in your body, it starts to use muscle to fuel itself and goes into survival mode and stores anything you eat as fat.

I don't understand why you just can't get on a diet of around 2700-3000 calories daily and stop refeeding. That's a bull$hit fad diet that will ruin more people than it will help. Instead of replenishing your system, why not just keep it full at all times? Then you don't need to refeed.

Either that or start fu*king bulking and quit bit*hing like a girl who's taking the food train to tubby town.

GET YOUR $HIT TOGETHER, YOU HAVE A LOT OF POTENTIAL, DON'T FU*K IT UP!!!!!!

Wannabebig Member
    What is your bodyfat% at now? The higher the percentage, the less frequent refeeds you will need. If you are like 15%, eating a little over maintenence once a week would be plenty.

Originally posted by Otter
    Bro I seriously think you have an eating disorder. You remind me of a girl who complains about how fat she is and then goes home and pigs out on junk food. If you feel fat all the time ... CHANGE YOUR DIET!!!!!! As someone stated previously (I don't remember who, my apologies), your refeeds are fu*king everything up for you. When you binge on food, your body expects to be given that same calorie load and then you go and deprive it for 36 hours and binge again. When you don't keep a steady base of calories in your body, it starts to use muscle to fuel itself and goes into survival mode and stores anything you eat as fat.
    Thanks for the post Otter.

Well see what happens. I *do* want to give this last approach to eating one last shot. I am going to see how my body handles it. For more than 1-5 days. Hehe. 36 hours dieting followed by 12 hours of refeeding. Well see how things go. I personally think that I should be fine to be honest.

If things dont workout with this I am not sure what I am going to do. Maybe go back to the basics or something again but I feel like if I dont count calories I am just like clueless as to how many calories I am taking in etc. I dont know maybe I am wrong.

I don't understand why you just can't get on a diet of around 2700-3000 calories daily and stop refeeding. That's a bull$hit fad diet that will ruin more people than it will help. Instead of replenishing your system, why not just keep it full at all times? Then you don't need to refeed.

Either that or start fu*king bulking and quit bit*hing like a girl who's taking the food train to tubby town.

GET YOUR $HIT TOGETHER, YOU HAVE A LOT OF POTENTIAL, DON'T FU*K IT UP!!!!!!
    Yeah if this doesnt workout for me maybe Ill get on a diet of about 3000 calories. Well see. I dont know if this is a fad diet or not because my strength gains are always good on it - so its not too fad like. I dont think that it will ruin anyone that actually has DISCIPLINE.

I am going to stop b*tching and being a frustrated little girl. I need to grow up and be a man. Who the f*ck complains about feeling fat and then binges like some f*cking a*shole? It makes no sense at all if you ask me.

Originally posted by MWB
    What is your bodyfat% at now? The higher the percentage, the less frequent refeeds you will need. If you are like 15%, eating a little over maintenence once a week would be plenty.
    I guess like 15% MWB. I am not really sure. I understand the belief about the frequency of refeeds but I personally dont agree with it to be completely honest. But then again I dont know much compared to Lyle McDonald and Par Deus etc.

Wannabebig Member
    The whole point of refeeding is to keep leptin levels high while on low calories. At 15%, your leptin levels should be high, so you don't need to reefed every 2 days. You'll just get fatter. I'm somewhere between 10-12% and if I carb up more than once a week, fat loss pretty much stops.

I dont know if this is a fad diet or not because my strength gains are always good on it - so its not too fad like.
    I'm telling you man, get on a normal diet and your strength gains won't change.

When you let your system run out of calories and then blast it with tons of calories, you confuse it. Consistency will breed success with a diet. If you NEED to refeed or binge or cheat or whatever you wanna call it, do it once per week or once per two weeks. You'll still get to eat all the sugary crap that you're eating, but it won't affect your goal of losing fat nearly as much.

I would think the fact that your weight is going in the opposite direction than you want it to would be enough to convince you that it's not working. You have the discipline for lifting, get the same discipline for your diet and you'll be a star man, a fu*king star.

I would think the fact that your weight is going in the opposite direction than you want it to would be enough to convince you that it's not working. You have the discipline for lifting, get the same discipline for your diet and you'll be a star man, a fu*king star.
    Everyone has been saying the same thing. We're not misleading you or anything. I think he has a valid point about the weight. Your leptin levels aren't gonna need refeeds that are so frequent. You're always hovering at the 202-205 range after water weight drops so why not take our advice and try this for a while and see how far you get?
    Last edited by gregnb; 07-19-2002 at 07:25 AM.
    No Pain, No Gain!

"Love changes, and best friends become strangers" - NaS

Strongman
    Still don't think you get supported Mike?
    Four-Time World's Strongest Man

Originally posted by MWB
    The whole point of refeeding is to keep leptin levels high while on low calories. At 15%, your leptin levels should be high, so you don't need to reefed every 2 days. You'll just get fatter. I'm somewhere between 10-12% and if I carb up more than once a week, fat loss pretty much stops.
    Yeah I understand what youre saying man. I really really do. But I just feel like that might be a misconception. Because while on this diet I always have gotten good results. I mean I am just giving it *one* last shot.

You guys know me, if I f*ck it all up then Ill simply be done with it ya know? I mean personally this is not only the easiest diet for me to stay on, but its the diet where I feel like I can lose a pound of pure fat or per week no problem. Well see how things go obviously.

Fat loss pretty much stops for you huh? Well I guess then well if it stops for me doing it every other day huh?

I'm telling you man, get on a normal diet and your strength gains won't change.
    I am not sure if I agree with you completely or not here Otter. You bring up a very interesting point, however, I feel like my strength gains benefit from the influx of the calories etc.

When you let your system run out of calories and then blast it with tons of calories, you confuse it. Consistency will breed success with a diet. If you NEED to refeed or binge or cheat or whatever you wanna call it, do it once per week or once per two weeks. You'll still get to eat all the sugary crap that you're eating, but it won't affect your goal of losing fat nearly as much.
    I think that confusing my body is truly what works believe it or not. I mean maybe it sounds insane but it really seems that my body reacts best to this kind of dieting. What did you think of my diet when I went "back to the basics?" Because if I drop this diet thats probably the only other diet Ill ever do.

Its more or less just clean foods in moderate portions and 5-6 meals per day. No doubt will I go *right* back to that program if this one doesnt work out for me.

I would think the fact that your weight is going in the opposite direction than you want it to would be enough to convince you that it's not working.
    No me binging on high-fat foods is the reason that my weight is going in the oppposite direction. I tend to either maintain my weight or lose .5 lbs. when I refeed somehow. I know that this sounds crazy but it always happens. Doesnt really make much sense to be either.

Again I want to see how this diet works for me. Staying with it not just f*cking it all up going off etc.

You have the discipline for lifting, get the same discipline for your diet and you'll be a star man, a fu*king star.
    Yeah man thats what I always hear about. I dont know how I have so much discipline to get to the gym I mean I really feel like I couldnt live without working out etc. But somehow when it comes to dieting my will power just f*cking sucks so badly. I am not sure what the damn problem is.

Originally posted by gregnb
    Everyone has been saying the same thing. We're not misleading you or anything. I think he has a valid point about the weight. Your leptin levels aren't gonna need refeeds that are so frequent.
    Yeah I know what you guys are saying. I too feel like I need to get my f*cking sh*t together. I mean everyone seems to tell me again and again that I have too much potential to let it go down the f*cking drain. Really doesnt make much sense if you ask me.

You're always hovering at the 202-205 range after water weight drops so why not take our advice and try this for a while and see how far you get?
    I know that I tend to hover around that weight and it gets annoying real fast trust me man. When you say take your advice for while I am assuming that you are saying to just stick to a basic clean bodybuilding diet correct? Because if I am not refeeding etc. I am going to hate counting calories and I am going to want to live.

I hate that about this diet. If I want a piece of pizza I cant have it. If I want a Reece's cup I cant have it. Gets very annoying. Cant eat at a restaurant at all. F*cking sucks ya know?

Still don't think you get supported Mike?
    Yeah I guess I do more than I thought.

I really really enjoy guys supporting me enough and giving advice based on what they think would work better for me and everything like that ya know? Really a lot of fun.

Just peeking in. As you can see, we are here for you Mike and if I could offer better advice I would.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Banned
    I hate that about this diet. If I want a piece of pizza I cant have it. If I want a Reece's cup I cant have it. Gets very annoying. Cant eat at a restaurant at all. F*cking sucks ya know?
    I see so much of the person I used to be in the posts you're making, I hadda say something here.

I won't pretend to be a nutrition expert here, Mike, but you clearly are stressing a lot about diet and whatnot. The anxiety you seem to be experiencing over this can't be worth whatever difference it's making to your physique... you also seem to have been attempting to 'cut' for quite some time; I'm not sure how healthy this is in general... even the pros dont' stay ripped up all year - they diet down for a show and then relax a bit, right?

Regardless of what you post about and seem to think about yourself, your pics demonstrate that you have a physique that is in the top couple of percent of fitness levels of the population worldwide. Your strength also puts you in that elite category. Stop and think about that for a while. You are stronger and more fit than the vast majority of people. Period. That's some pretty exciting stuff. Don't lose sight of this.

As far as leaning up while gaining/maintaining mass, I think that that is a chimera... you can mitigate muscle loss while trying to shred up for a contest or whatever, but there is only so much you can do... I think the answer may be to just relax and pick one or the other: either decide you want to cut up fully and sacrifice some size and strength to do so, or forget about cutting for this summer and focus on packing another 5-10 lbs of muscle mass on your already-impressive frame. Then spend 6 weeks just before NEXT summer getting shredded to the bone if you want to cut up for the beach or whatever.

I'm rambling on like an old man here, so I'll try to sum up what I have to say in more coherent form:

1) I think you should definitely stop counting calories, stop this refeed crap and just eat a clean, solid BB diet. Know what ballpark your daily calories are in but don't sweat every gram of it. The fact that you continue to have difficulty staying on these weird refeed diets may be telling you something. Not that you're weak for failing to stay on them, but rather your body is reacting to the privation you're subjecting it to and causing you to crave/binge in reaction.

1a) Your diet doesn't have a lot of variety in most of the incarnations I've seen it in most of your journal(s). Eating clean doesn't have to be boring, ya know. You wonder why you get sick of the diet you're on? The number of times I have seen "1 slice whole-wheat bread + 2 tbsp. peanut butter" in your journals is just shocking... if you're not much of a cook, maybe you and the girlfriend could take a class or something, or start experimenting with recipes from the internet or whatever. Anyone can learn to cook, and cook well. I am living proof of this.

2) if you're eating clean, you'll probably stop craving junk food, and/or be rendered unable to enjoy junk food. That has been the case for me, and for many others that I know. This is a Good Thing(tm). If you do have a bit of crap food, you can have it with the confidence that it won't hurt you because you're giving your body a constant supply of good food. If I feel like having a bit of chocolate or a bite of cheesecake or whatever, I'll just have it and not sweat about it; I know that 95%+ of my diet is clean, good food and a few dozen or even the occasional few hundred 'bad' calories ain't gonna kill me.

3) Take a step back and get some perspective. For someone who is 18 yrs old and natural to boot, you've done a great job in building your body. Realistically, if you can gain 5-6lbs of lean body mass a year (even if you never lost another gram of fat) for the next couple of years, you will have some even MORE amazing shape going on. Unless you get on gear or something, you need to be realistic about how much mass you are going to be able to gain on an ongoing basis and how lean you can stay while you're doing that. You are already a strong, impressively muscular and dedicated young man. You're not trying to "get in shape". You ARE in shape and you are now refining and adding to that impressive physique. Try to remember that.

4) Stop overanalyzing stuff. You're clearly an intelligent fella, well-read and conscientious about researching and learning more about building your body. But I think you're making it into a JOB instead of a LIFESTYLE. It shouldn't be that hard. Look inside of yourself and find the joy you get from lifting weights and being strong, and build on that.

Like Red Green says,
    "Remember, I'm pulling for ya. Cause we're all in this together."

Cheers,
    Callahan

P.S. Occasionally trying to provide ADvice is one of my few vices. Your mileage may vary on said advice. Always feel free to tell me to STFU.
    Last edited by Relentless; 07-19-2002 at 12:57 PM.