The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 12 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by lronMan

I hate that about this diet. If I want a piece of pizza I cant have it. If I want a Reece's cup I cant have it. Gets very annoying. Cant eat at a restaurant at all. F*cking sucks ya know?
    To me the point of counting calories, and doing a CID is that you CAN have a piece of pizza if you want. Just don't eat the whole damn thing. If you know what your target calories/fat/protein/carbs are you just adjust your other meals so things come out right at the end of the day. That's the beauty of the whole thing. It seems, though, you have problems with moderation. I'm still not sure I understand why.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Originally posted by rookiebldr
    Just peeking in. As you can see, we are here for you Mike and if I could offer better advice I would.
    Yeah I know man thanks a lot. You especially man have supported me since you have been here at WBB. Really appreciate bro - seriously.

Member of the 1200 Club Johnny Vegas's Avatar
    Fun. That's your AOL Keyword for today. A steady diet is by far the hardest part to bodybuilding. When anyone asks me how to gain weight at the gym, I always tell them that unless their gym has a kitchen, they won't be gaining any weight at the gym. It's also one of the harder myths to dispell about bodybuilding.

That said, don't sweat your diet. Your strength gains are improving, and are impressive. If you're anything like me, you'll go through "spurts." You'll go a month where your diet is perfect, and then you'll slack for a month or more with subpar dieting. It's no big deal really, unless you plan to compete.

Shouldn't you be focusing on that 270 bench, anyways?

Originally posted by Callahan
    I see so much of the person I used to be in the posts you're making, I hadda say something here.
    Wow Callahan never expected you to reply. I am glad that you did though Ill do my best to respond to everything that you have posted. Again thanks for putting the time to post all of this.

I won't pretend to be a nutrition expert here, Mike, but you clearly are stressing a lot about diet and whatnot. The anxiety you seem to be experiencing over this can't be worth whatever difference it's making to your physique... you also seem to have been attempting to 'cut' for quite some time; I'm not sure how healthy this is in general... even the pros dont' stay ripped up all year - they diet down for a show and then relax a bit, right?
    Nor am I a nutrition expert man. I mean only a few of truly have expertise when it comes to nutrition simply beyond our personal experience. Yeah I know I do get stressed out a lot about this diet sh*t. Lifting is the easy part for me. But it makes me mad because anyone can workout ya know? I mean an average person can lifts weights. But the average person cannot stick to a diet 24/7.

Yeah my goal has been to drop a few pounds of fat for quite some time now. I am not sure why I just feel like I have been flabby for too long and I hate this sh*t. Want to be lean and strong. Throw around some huge a*s weights in the gym while maintaining that hard midsection. I know shredded while gaining strength is pretty tough but I dont think 8-10% bodyfat should be too bad to maintain.

Regardless of what you post about and seem to think about yourself, your pics demonstrate that you have a physique that is in the top couple of percent of fitness levels of the population worldwide. Your strength also puts you in that elite category. Stop and think about that for a while. You are stronger and more fit than the vast majority of people. Period. That's some pretty exciting stuff. Don't lose sight of this.
    Thank you for the kind words Callahan.

Yeah I know thats exactly why I put up pictures. I know that theyre not the best quality but I wanted to you give you all at WBB an idea of what my physique looks like. I was extremely flabby in those pics and I feel that I maybe a tad leaner now. Although it may just be in my head.

My strength has been rapidly increasing especially in the past few months. Within the last year alone somehow my strength has truly skyrocketed. I started to become interested in gaining strength and suddenly it just kept increasing and increasing and increasing.

That tells me one thing.. that if I want something bad enough than I will achieve it. I wanted to break 100 lbs. skullcrushers and barbell curls. Done that. Wanted to break 60 lbs. flyes, done that. Wanted to do dips with more than +100 lbs., done that. Etc. etc. etc.

As far as leaning up while gaining/maintaining mass, I think that that is a chimera... you can mitigate muscle loss while trying to shred up for a contest or whatever, but there is only so much you can do... I think the answer may be to just relax and pick one or the other: either decide you want to cut up fully and sacrifice some size and strength to do so, or forget about cutting for this summer and focus on packing another 5-10 lbs of muscle mass on your already-impressive frame. Then spend 6 weeks just before NEXT summer getting shredded to the bone if you want to cut up for the beach or whatever.
    Yeah I know what youre saying Callahan it is definitely tough to gain muscle while cutting fat. I personally just want to gradually lean out a little. Maybe around .5-1.5 lbs. of fat per week. Something very slow. And want to focus on strength gains. Size gains will come in a caloric surplus which I probably will not be doing anytime soon.

Yeah I made the mistake of not leaning out fot this summer which was very very stupid. I look back to pictures of me when I was doing NHE and dropped to 200 lbs. from 240 lbs. and I look MUCH better than I do now. F*cking depressing actually because NHE wasnt that healthy at all to be quite honest. I am going to attach a picture of my physique while on NHE to this post.

I'm rambling on like an old man here, so I'll try to sum up what I have to say in more coherent form:
    Dont worry about it man. I appreciate all that you have said, trust me.

1) I think you should definitely stop counting calories, stop this refeed crap and just eat a clean, solid BB diet. Know what ballpark your daily calories are in but don't sweat every gram of it. The fact that you continue to have difficulty staying on these weird refeed diets may be telling you something. Not that you're weak for failing to stay on them, but rather your body is reacting to the privation you're subjecting it to and causing you to crave/binge in reaction.
    Yes. Youre right along with Otter and a few others (practically all of WBB) who have pointed this out to me. I hate counting calories back in the day when I started working out I just ate clean and packed on some quality size. Loved it, loved working out and eating etc. Enjoyed it all. Didnt count sh*t. Yeah refeeding is beneficial for experienced dieters I think. But I dont feel that at this point in my bodybuilding career that I have the discipline and/or the will power to stick to such advanced dieting techniques.

Yeah my body is reacting differently than I would expect. I would expect my body just to get used to the refeeds and not expect them more often. When I am refeeding I think that my body almost craves the refeed foods on a daily basis. As crazy as this sounds I experience it.

1a) Your diet doesn't have a lot of variety in most of the incarnations I've seen it in most of your journal(s). Eating clean doesn't have to be boring, ya know. You wonder why you get sick of the diet you're on? The number of times I have seen "1 slice whole-wheat bread + 2 tbsp. peanut butter" in your journals is just shocking... if you're not much of a cook, maybe you and the girlfriend could take a class or something, or start experimenting with recipes from the internet or whatever. Anyone can learn to cook, and cook well. I am living proof of this.
    Yeah I know I do tend to limit my food choices. A lot of it has to do with money though. I am currently not working because I am trying to take a break before I start college this fall. But once I get a job everything should fall back into place. I wont be blowing money on supplements thats for damn sure. Variety sure does help when it comes to dieting. I enjoy eating out a lot too eating a baked potato and a chicken breast or something from a restaurant. Much better tasting than anything that I could make at home.

2) if you're eating clean, you'll probably stop craving junk food, and/or be rendered unable to enjoy junk food. That has been the case for me, and for many others that I know. This is a Good Thing(tm). If you do have a bit of crap food, you can have it with the confidence that it won't hurt you because you're giving your body a constant supply of good food. If I feel like having a bit of chocolate or a bite of cheesecake or whatever, I'll just have it and not sweat about it; I know that 95%+ of my diet is clean, good food and a few dozen or even the occasional few hundred 'bad' calories ain't gonna kill me.
    Yeah exactly.

This is what I want to eventually achieve. I want 90-95% of my calories to come from quality sources and then not feel horrible about drinking a soda or taking a bite of cheesecake or something along those lines. I really just have to suck it up and deal for the first few weeks of eating clean.

Once I become accustomed to eating clean though I feel like I will just be in this habit ya know? then I wont get these cravings to binge and everything like that. Lately I feel like I am in the habit of binging which is obviously just stupid. I mean refeeds basically are NOT clean foods at all. Kids' cereals etc.

3) Take a step back and get some perspective. For someone who is 18 yrs old and natural to boot, you've done a great job in building your body. Realistically, if you can gain 5-6lbs of lean body mass a year (even if you never lost another gram of fat) for the next couple of years, you will have some even MORE amazing shape going on. Unless you get on gear or something, you need to be realistic about how much mass you are going to be able to gain on an ongoing basis and how lean you can stay while you're doing that. You are already a strong, impressively muscular and dedicated young man. You're not trying to "get in shape". You ARE in shape and you are now refining and adding to that impressive physique. Try to remember that.
    Yeah I know and I think my age my have something to do with it. I mean maybe I dont have the greatest will power in the world when it comes to dieting. But in the realistic perception of things - I am doing more than 90% of 18 year olds. Every single one of my friends who are 18-19 get drunk nonstop, smoke pot, dont workout, dont diet, eat nothing but junkfood, etc.

Yeah I know I would like to put on some quality size in the next few years. When I am 19-22 years old I really plan on gaining some serious strength and size. I feel like I have barely scratched the surface of my genetic potential. I mean if I can gain size/strength on this kind of binge diet etc. With a billion different training programs then my results with a solid training and diet regimen should be unreal.

Again thanks for the kind words. I will try and remember that I am just trying to refine the physique that I have already built. Thats very motivational actually. I am not on gear, never have been, never will be. Never taken any kind of prohoromone or anything - never will, EVER. That's one thing that all of you here at WBB can count on.

4) Stop overanalyzing stuff. You're clearly an intelligent fella, well-read and conscientious about researching and learning more about building your body. But I think you're making it into a JOB instead of a LIFESTYLE. It shouldn't be that hard. Look inside of yourself and find the joy you get from lifting weights and being strong, and build on that.

Like Red Green says,
    "Remember, I'm pulling for ya. Cause we're all in this together."

Cheers,
    Callahan
    Yeah I know I cannot let this obsession with working out take over my entire life. I mean I feel like every chance I get I am changing my diet and training program with the latest research etc. I am slowly learning that the basics are what works. Not the newest rage in training/diet.

Youre exactly right when you said, "the joy you get from lifting weights." I love it so much. Except for my girlfriend, nothing comes over working out in my life. I started when I was 12 and loved it, and I still do.

Again Callahan thanks for the excellent post its definitely appreciated.

Attachment: picture from post NHE dieting. This is NOT a current picture. Just a picture for motivation thats all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MonStar; 07-19-2002 at 01:23 PM.

lookin good man, lookin pretty cut.
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

Originally posted by Blood&Iron
    To me the point of counting calories, and doing a CID is that you CAN have a piece of pizza if you want. Just don't eat the whole damn thing. If you know what your target calories/fat/protein/carbs are you just adjust your other meals so things come out right at the end of the day. That's the beauty of the whole thing. It seems, though, you have problems with moderation. I'm still not sure I understand why.
    Yeah I know what youre saying B&I.

Youre truly a success story in itself when it comes to a CID. I mean you have done it and truly had great success with it. I do feel that your supplements have aided in your success, however.

Regardless, your determination and will power have been truly top notch when it comes to dieting. Keeping up that detailed journal of yours for such a long time is remarkable. I dont think many could have done it better than you B&I.

Yeah I do have a problem with moderation, and with a CID. Thats why I am going to go back to the basics for a few months/years until I gain the will power and discipline to tackle more advanced dieting techniques.
    Last edited by MonStar; 07-19-2002 at 01:37 PM.

Originally posted by Johnny Vegas
    Fun. That's your AOL Keyword for today. A steady diet is by far the hardest part to bodybuilding. When anyone asks me how to gain weight at the gym, I always tell them that unless their gym has a kitchen, they won't be gaining any weight at the gym. It's also one of the harder myths to dispell about bodybuilding.

That said, don't sweat your diet. Your strength gains are improving, and are impressive. If you're anything like me, you'll go through "spurts." You'll go a month where your diet is perfect, and then you'll slack for a month or more with subpar dieting. It's no big deal really, unless you plan to compete.

Shouldn't you be focusing on that 270 bench, anyways?
    Yeah I know what youre saying JV.

Fun is the keyword. Keeping dieting and lifting fun should be everyone's main goal. I mean if you get a kick out of writing down every little calorie you take in then I guess go for it. But I dont, so I am stopping. I am just going to go back to what works dieting wise - the basics.

Yeah dieting is the hardest part of bodybuilding, easily without a doubt. Yeah my strength is continually improving which is a great thing in my eyes. I want to continue getting stronger and stronger and stronger and stop all this petty bullsh*t.

Yeah I should be focusing on my 435 lbs. squat tomorrow not how many grams of carbs are in my refeed.

Originally posted by Goin_Big
    lookin good man, lookin pretty cut.
    Thanks, but like I said thats a post NHE pic. NOT a current pic at all. I wish it was my bodyfat % was pretty low there actually. Wish it was that way again. I rarely felt fat while I was doing that kind of diet, I leaned out rather quickly.

But it was pretty unhealthy and my strength wasnt too good on a low-carb diet like that.
    Last edited by MonStar; 07-19-2002 at 01:27 PM.

Yeah I know what youre saying B&I.

Youre truly a success story in itself when it comes to a CID. I mean you have done it and truly had great success with it. I am not sure if I attribute all of that to the diet or the variety of supplements that you have taken to assist you in your results though.

Regardless, your determination and will power have been truly top notch when it comes to dieting. Keeping up that detailed journal of yours for such a long time is remarkable. I dont think many could have done it better than you B&I.

Yeah I do have a problem with moderation, and with a CID. Thats why I am going to go back to the basics for a few months/years until I gain the will power and discipline to tackle more advanced dieting techniques.
    Thanks for the kind words. I dunno if I've had that great of success. Some times I look in the mirror and think I barely look like I workout. I'll post some pictures of me all fat and bulked up in a couple of weeks, and most people's response will probably be 'Sh*t. He doens't even f*cking look any different.' Oh, well.

Anyways, best of luck with whatever you decide. We're all rooting for you. Just pick one thing and stick with it man.

BTW, of course I think the supplements help. I've got a little beef with you saying they're responsible for my progress(or lack thereof)--'specially cuz you take so damn many of them yourself.

In any case, good luck.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Banned
    Two responses to your response:

[B]
    Yeah I know what youre saying Callahan it is definitely tough to gain muscle while cutting fat. I personally just want to gradually lean out a little. Maybe around .5-1.5 lbs. of fat per week. Something very slow. And want to focus on strength gains. Size gains will come in a caloric surplus which I probably will not be doing anytime soon.
    [B]

I guess I wasn't too clear enough in what I was saying before . . . my comment was that this 'gradual leaning out' business is what you've BEEN trying to do, isn't it? I thought it wasn't working out and/or was leading to frustration and broken diets. This kinda leads into my second point, which I just thunk up when I read something else you said farther down...

Yeah I know I would like to put on some quality size in the next few years. When I am 19-22 years old I really plan on gaining some serious strength and size. I feel like I have barely scratched the surface of my genetic potential. I mean if I can gain size/strength on this kind of binge diet etc. With a billion different training programs then my results with a solid training and diet regimen should be unreal.
    Why wait until you're 19. You're 18, and blessed with some of the highest natural test levels you're likely to have for the rest of your life, right? Why not forget this 'leaning up' crap and take advantage of your young physiology to pack on as much muscle mass as you can. In only gets harder as you get older, dude.

I mean, if you want to compete or something like BigChaseyChase, I could see the urgency to cut up. But just for your own 'benefit'? I dunno man.

Anyway, FWIW you have my moral support for your efforts, dude. Good luck.

Cal

Thanks for the kind words. I dunno if I've had that great of success. Some times I look in the mirror and think I barely look like I workout. I'll post some pictures of me all fat and bulked up in a couple of weeks, and most people's response will probably be 'Sh*t. He doens't even f*cking look any different.' Oh, well.
    Nah I doubt it man. Reading your posts you very rarely give yourself the credit that you truly deserve. I mean look at your journal for example. Who else could have kept up such detailed journal with grams of fiber and tempo of every set etc. for what like 200 days now?

Anyways, best of luck with whatever you decide. We're all rooting for you. Just pick one thing and stick with it man.

BTW, of course I think the supplements help. I've got a little beef with you saying they're responsible for my progress(or lack thereof)--'specially cuz you take so damn many of them yourself.

In any case, good luck.
    Thanks a lot B&I for the support. Like Callahan said in his quote, were all in this together. Dieting is a b*tch and something that all of us bodybuilders have to handle in our own personal way. Some people tend to handle it easier than others. I personally struggle with eating clean consistently.

Yeah thats also a problem of mine - sticking with something! As you all obviously know. Nah man Ill edit my post I wasnt saying that your supplements are responsible for your success, I do believe that they help though. I mean maybe not all of them but things like test powder and stuff like that ya know? I do take a lot myself youre right.

EDIT: By the way B&I I meant to tell you that sipping on Gatorade with 5g creatine and 5g glutamine worked out GREAT. Less fatigue and much better pumps. Thank you for excellent tip.
    Last edited by MonStar; 07-19-2002 at 01:42 PM.

Originally posted by Callahan
    Two responses to your response:

I guess I wasn't too clear enough in what I was saying before . . . my comment was that this 'gradual leaning out' business is what you've BEEN trying to do, isn't it? I thought it wasn't working out and/or was leading to frustration and broken diets. This kinda leads into my second point, which I just thunk up when I read something else you said farther down...
    Yeah I know what youre saying Callahan. I guess well just have to see how eating 'clean' works out for me. I personally think that stopping the binging will allow me to gain some strength while dropping the fat. I personally think that eating clean will allow me to lose a bit of fat. Because binging is where all my bodyfat seems to come from.

Why wait until you're 19. You're 18, and blessed with some of the highest natural test levels you're likely to have for the rest of your life, right? Why not forget this 'leaning up' crap and take advantage of your young physiology to pack on as much muscle mass as you can. In only gets harder as you get older, dude.
    I am not going to wait until I am 19. I am just saying that I want to have my sh*t together the entire time I am 19 years old. I feel like I have been d*cking around the majority of the time I have been 18 years old. Ill be 19 in a few months. Yeah I am going to try and just eat clean and just continue making progress.

I mean, if you want to compete or something like BigChaseyChase, I could see the urgency to cut up. But just for your own 'benefit'? I dunno man.

Anyway, FWIW you have my moral support for your efforts, dude. Good luck.

Cal
    I am not going to compete, ever, no desire to at all. I enjoy bodybuilding and every aspect of it but the whole competing thing has never appealed to me at all for some reason. I am really not sure why. Thanks for the support, in every way.

DAY 10 | 7-19-2002

Comments.
    • ----------------------------------------------------------------
      Decided to change up a lot of things today. As you all can probably see by my posts above this journal entry. I am going to be going back to what works again - the basics. This refeeding stuff is a little too advanced for me. Decided to drop it once and for all. Going to stick with eating clean and lifting hard and heavy.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------

Diet/Supplements.
      Meal 1: oatmeal + skim milk + 1 serving whey protein + peanut butter, multi-vitamin/mineral, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E, 1 Adrenalin

Meal 2: 1 apple, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E

Meal 3: whole-wheat pasta + Ragu sauce + ground beef, skim milk, multi-vitamin/mineral, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E, 1 Adrenalin

Meal 4: whole-wheat bread + low-fat cheese singles, skim milk

Meal 5: Myoplex MRP + skim milk, 6 mg. melatonin

Actually was very scarce on food today. Ran out of meat products and everything like that. Oh well. Hopefully Ill have a better selection of food tomorrow, well see. Had to make my last meal today a MRP I didnt have a choice.

Pain/Soreness.
      Chest is hurting a little. Lats and miback are f*cked up pretty badly. Bit time DOMS. Traps have never been so sore in my life. I cant even flex them they hurt so f*cking badly. Damn DB shrugs are the hot sh*t.

Sleep.
      Last night I got 8 hours of sleep. Slept well. Need to keep it up. I feel like I sleep better without melatonin somehow.

Training. Rest.
      N/A.

Training Length.
      N/A.

Weight.
      First thing in the morning, without clothes, after using the restroom, I weighed 205 lbs. Okay weight I guess considering that I refed yesterday. Now that I am done with refeeding I hope to hover around 195-200 lbs. for a little while. And then in a few weeks / months eventually hover around 190 - 195 lbs. I hope to achieve 8-10% bodyfat eventually.
    Last edited by MonStar; 08-15-2002 at 10:15 PM.

I mean maybe not all of them but things like test powder and stuff like that ya know?
    Yup, I knew this day would come. The price for using my bottle of One--well, half anyways. If there is any progress present in my pictures I'm sure there'll be some people who will attribute it completely to my two weeks usage of One and not the other 10 months of hard work I put in without it(I don't mean you Monstar).

EDIT: By the way B&I I meant to tell you that sipping on Gatorade with 5g creatine and 5g glutamine worked out GREAT. Less fatigue and much better pumps. Thank you for excellent tip.
    Shoot, first my tip to rookiebldr worked. And then this one? Twice in one lifetime? Who woulda thunk it?

BTW, the whole competing thing doesn't appeal to me in the least either. Something about greasing up and prancing around in my underwear just doesn't appeal to me. BTW, I'm not dissing those who do compete. I've got A TON of respect for those that do it, just as I have for pl'ers, etc. But I can't be past the postively enormous gayness of it all.

Yup, I knew this day would come. The price for using my bottle of One--well, half anyways. If there is any progress present in my pictures I'm sure there'll be some people who will attribute it completely to my two weeks usage of One and not the other 10 months of hard work I put in without it(I don't mean you Monstar).
    Haha this day hasnt come B&I I am was just using an example of a supplement that does have a lot of potential thats all. I mean maybe its not an anabolic but in my opinion its the closest legal thing. And you only did it for 2 weeks so it probably didnt make too much of a difference. Any the 10 months of hard work defintely counts for the majority of your results anyway.

Shoot, first my tip to rookiebldr worked. And then this one? Twice in one lifetime? Who woulda thunk it?

BTW, the whole competing thing doesn't appeal to me in the least either. Something about greasing up and prancing around in my underwear just doesn't appeal to me. BTW, I'm not dissing those who do compete. I've got A TON of respect for those that do it, just as I have for pl'ers, etc. But I can't be past the postively enormous gayness of it all.
    Yeah the Gatorade during my workout worked excellent. I am definitely going to continue doing that in the future no doubt about it. Really enjoy it. Creatine and glutamine + salt kind of ruins the taste of the Gatorade but oh well - sh*t works.

Yeah same here man. Its not even the gayness of competing although the whole flexing greased up in underwear isnt the coolest the most straight thing to do, that doesnt make it unimpressive to me. I just have no desire to get THAT lean and pose and all that thats all. I bodybuild because I enjoy it. And the way muscles look is just an added benefit.

Something really crazy to me is that its been what, 10 days and I am up to like 300 posts in this journal almost. Haha I dont know how thats even possible...
    Last edited by MonStar; 07-19-2002 at 02:39 PM.

Yeah the Gatorade during my workout worked excellent. I am definitely going to continue doing that in the future no doubt about it. Really enjoy it. Creatine and glutamine + salt kind of ruins the taste of the Gatorade but oh well - sh*t works.
    I don't put salt in mine. Perhaps it gives more of a pump that way, but no thanks.

Yeah same here man. Its not even the gayness of competing although the whole flexing greased up in underwear isnt the coolest the most straight thing to do, that doesnt make it unimpressive to me. I just have no desire to get THAT lean and pose and all that thats all. I bodybuild because I enjoy it. And the way muscles look is just an added benefit.
    Yeah. I was mostly joking, although when I've seen contests on TV they do seem pretty damn gay. Watching 'Pumping Iron' is the only time I haven't thought that. I don't know if it's just cuz it's Arnold and Franco and co. or what. Really, for me, I think the reason I'm not interested is that I don't have any need to be judged better than other people. I bodybuild for myself, not to impress other people. I love being in the gym, and looking in the mirror and seeing improvements, and, yes, even dieting to some extent. I suppose if I ever get really big and cut, I might think about it. I could get into posing as a sort of artistic thing--like Ed Corney. But I'd have to be pretty goddamn big, and I doubt that'll ever happen with some serious gear usage--which for health reasons, I will never do.

I don't put salt in mine. Perhaps it gives more of a pump that way, but no thanks.
    Exactly I attribute some of the extra pump to the 1/2 tsp. of salt. I dont know works for me so I am going to stick with it. I personally dont care too much about the taste to be completely honest. I am thinking that sodium may draw more water to my muscles, not sure though.

Yeah. I was mostly joking, although when I've seen contests on TV they do seem pretty damn gay. Watching 'Pumping Iron' is the only time I haven't thought that. I don't know if it's just cuz it's Arnold and Franco and co. or what. Really, for me, I think the reason I'm not interested is that I don't have any need to be judged better than other people. I bodybuild for myself, not to impress other people. I love being in the gym, and looking in the mirror and seeing improvements, and, yes, even dieting to some extent. I suppose if I ever get really big and cut, I might think about it. I could get into posing as a sort of artistic thing--like Ed Corney. But I'd have to be pretty goddamn big, and I doubt that'll ever happen with some serious gear usage--which for health reasons, I will never do.
    Yeah Pumping Iron is a classic. Haha thats truly a motivational movie if you ask me. Watching Arnold pose and workout and sh*t like that cant be beat. He had an inspiring physique much more than any bodybuilder in today's shows. I like the image of an upper body larger than the lower body. Just my opinion though.

Thats why I personally never really want my thighs / hips to get too big I want to keep my upper body basically massivce in comparison to my lower body. Big calves I DO want but other than that when it comes to thighs and sh*t I really dont want 26-27" thighs like a lot of guyst here at WBB do. Or 30" thighs whatever.

I too bodybuild for myself. Not for anyone else.

Yeah Pumping Iron is a classic. Haha thats truly a motivational movie if you ask me. Watching Arnold pose and workout and sh*t like that cant be beat. He had an inspiring physique much more than any bodybuilder in today's shows. I like the image of an upper body larger than the lower body. Just my opinion though.
    Yup. That's the look I want too. But...

Thats why I personally never really want my thighs / hips to get too big I want to keep my upper body basically massivce in comparison to my lower body. Big calves I DO want but other than that when it comes to thighs and sh*t I really dont want 26-27" thighs like a lot of guyst here at WBB do.
    My legs are already that big. I've managed to bring my upper body up a bit, though, so I think I look pretty well proportioned at this point. But I don't really want my legs to get much bigger to be honest--that's why I don't worry about not squatting, leg pressing, etc. Luckily, my calves are also pretty big too(~17-17.5inches). I wish I could switch some of my lower body genetics for some better upper body ones. Ah well, suppose I should be happy.

Yup. That's the look I want too. But...
    Agreed.

My legs are already that big. I've managed to bring my upper body up a bit, though, so I think I look pretty well proportioned at this point. But I don't really want my legs to get much bigger to be honest--that's why I don't worry about not squatting, leg pressing, etc. Luckily, my calves are also pretty big too(~17-17.5inches). I wish I could switch some of my lower body genetics for some better upper body ones. Ah well, suppose I should be happy.
    Really? Yeah see I want an upper body much larger than my lower body. I really dont like the look of high blocky quads, never have. Yeah you do seem to have some massive calves holy sh*t. Maybe some of the biggest on the boards. Yeah my upper body has always had good genetics I think but never my lower body. Wierd how that works out.

DAY 11 | 7-20-2002

Happy 20-Month Anniversary With Brittany...

Me and my sexy baby Brittany celebrated our 20-month anniversary. Shes my little adorable angel. Looking forward to starting college with her.

Comments.
      Wow feel extremely tired and just completely drowsy etc. today. Had 2 hours sleep. I dont know what the f*ck my problem is but I cannot be squatting on such little sleep. Not really sure whatsup with that. I mean honestly thats just going to f*ck everything up.

Probably going to end up getting a job at either Vitamin Shoppe, GNC, or a local supplement store. Really looking forward to the discounts that Ill get and everything like that. Well see how things go. Need to get a job and get a car for college, soon.

Diet/Supplements.
      Meal 1: oatmeal + skim milk + peanut butter + 1 serving whey protein, multi-vitamin/mineral, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E, 1 Adrenalin

Meal 2: 1 bag cashews, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E

Preworkout: 5cc Liquid Clenbutrx

During Workout: 32 oz. Gatorade + 5g creatine + 5g glutamine + 1/2 tsp. salt

Postworkout: 1/2 serving Cell-Tech + 500 mg. ALA, 3g l-arginine, 2 servings whey protein

Meal 5: Balance Gold bar, multi-vitamin/mineral, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E

Meal 6: 2 filet mignon steaks, 2 baked potatoes

Had to make one of my meals a Balance Gold bar today. Didnt really want to I know that its an artificial meal or whatever. I dont know just was in the mood for something like choclate etc. There are 11g sugar in one of those bars. The new "Rocky Road" are great though..

Pain/Soreness.
      Back and traps are really hurting today. My biceps are a little sore too. My sleep last night was a joke so I cant expect much.

Sleep.
      Last night I got 2 hours of sleep. This is just pure stupidity. Got up early to go sleep with my girlfriend since its our anniversary so Ill get some sleep there too. Hopefully to prepare me for my squat workout.

Training. Legs.
      Squats:

135 x 6, 225 x 6, 275 x 6, 435 x 6.5 (!), 375 x 7.5, 315 x 8

Wow some AWESOME sets of squats. Probably some of the most intense squats I have had in a long, long, time. Started off with my usual warmups you know whatever. Pretty easy just going through the ROM pretty much. Jumped up to 435 lbs. for 6.5 reps. New PB!! Actually might have been able to get 7-7.5 reps if I really strived a little harder. Awesome set - but I feel strong in this exericse. Hitting up 445 lbs. next week. Looking forward to it baby. I AM going to get 495 x 4 by Christmas. Dropped down to 375 for 7.5 reps. Good set. Hit my glutes and quads and all that hard. Sipping on Gatorade has REALLY helped my fatigue during my workouts. After that first work set of squats my legs are usually so burnt I cant even do another set. I had no problem squatting my last 2 work sets at all. Anyway next week hitting up 385 lbs. for my second set. Well see how that goes. I think that I should be fine honestly. Anyway final set of squats I handled 315 for 8. This wasnt hard at all. Could have probably gotten 15 reps if I really wanted to. Increasing to 325 lbs. next week.

Leg Presses:

700 x 6 (!), 660 x 6, 610 x 8

Awesome sets of leg presses today. None of these sets were really near failure. Which is not too big of a deal if you ask me. Anyway jumped up 20 lbs. from last week. Hit my quads and glutes hard with this movement. Going to hit up 720 lbs. next week for my first work set. Dropped down to 660 lbs. and hit up 6 reps. Really not too bad if you ask me. Anyway going to increase on my second work set next week to 680 lbs. and see how that goes. I feel strong in leg presses I mean its not that I dont feel like I can handle more weight - its just that after squats I dont *want* to handle anymore weight. Gotta stop being a p*ssy. Anyway dropped to 610 and got 8 reps. Going to inrease to 630 lbs. next week for my final set of leg presses.

Good Mornings:

235 x 5 (!), 205 x 6, 195 x 7.5

Awesome sets of good mornings today. Really really hit my hamstrings extremely hard. F*cked them up big time. Lower back and hamstring got totally fried from this movement. Started off with 235 lbs. for 5 reps. New PB baby!! This was great news for me. Really really impressed myself with this kind of strength. First work set wasnt really too bad at all. I mean I felt pretty strong with this movement. Going to increase to 245 lbs. next week no questions asked. Might increase my goal for 2003 depending on how my strength looks. Anyway next set dropped to 205 lbs. and hit up 6 reps. Going to increase next week to 215 lbs. and see how that goes. Final work set I used 195 lbs. and got 7.5 reps, wont be increasing here.

Standing Smith-machine Calf Raises:

290 x 15, 290 x 15, 290 x 12.5

Nice hard sets of calf raises today. Really really hit my calves hard with some excellent reps. Nice hard contraction at the top of every single rep. Pump was good - I think that sipping my Gatorade definitely had something to do with this. Anyway got 15 reps on my first two work sets. This was pretty good I guess. Then I finished off with 12.5 reps on my last work set of calf raises. Until I achieve 15 reps on all 3 work sets I am not going to be increasing.

Machine Crunches:

150 x 15, 150 x 15, 150 x 14.5

Good sets of crunches today I guess. Good way to finish off my training session. Exausted my abs very very very well with these 3 sets. Abs were trembling throughout the 2nd and 3rd sets really amazing feeling in my midsection. Hopefully Ill be hardening up in the next few months. All I can really do is hope at this point because I have just got to put my time into eating clean. Gotta stop this stupid a*s f*cking sh*t. Diet = cuts.

Training Length.
      Lasted 40 minutes today. Okay length I guess. Waited around for 20 minutes for some b*tch a*s runner to squat 225 for 3 reps. Haha I had to show him what real weight is, 435 for 6.

Weight.
      First thing in the morning, without clothes, after using the restroom, I weighed 206 lbs. I am not sure whatsup with my scale. I am thinking that maybe something is wrong with it. I weighed 205.5 lbs., then, after using the restroom I gained .5 lbs. Doesnt make too much sense but anyways.
    Last edited by MonStar; 08-15-2002 at 10:15 PM.

Ah, I see you are continuing this journal. I would have had't to see all the good posts by B&I and Callahan above disappear.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Originally posted by rookiebldr
    Ah, I see you are continuing this journal. I would have had't to see all the good posts by B&I and Callahan above disappear.
    Hell yeah man. It's called my Final journal here at WBB for a reason. Haha I am actually going to stick this one out and surprise all you guys I told you. Just wait an see man. Have a little faith.

Anyways new PB today for squats, haha 435 for 6. Goal of 495 for 4 by 2003 is really looking possible. Big time. Felt extremely strong in squats today...

Dont ask me how I got a new PB for squats, leg presses, and good mornings on 2 hours sleep!

DAY 12 | 7-21-2002

Comments.
      Feel okay today I guess. Little sore from yesterday. Actually feel a tad drowsy today for some reason. I am really not sure why. Oh well. Looking forward to my push workout tomorrow big time. Haha really love those 90 lbs. flyes...

Diet/Supplements.
      Meal 1: Myoplex MRP + 2% milk, multi-vitamin/mineral, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E, 1 Adrenalin

Meal 2: 4 chicken drumsticks without skin, pasta salad, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E

Meal 3: skim milk, 1 nectarine, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E, multi-vitamin/mineral, 1 Adrenalin

Meal 4: whole-wheat bread + peanut butter

Meal 5: 2 chicken breasts, veggies

Meal 6: skim milk, 6 mg. melatonin

Pain/Soreness.
      Traps are still hurting. Legs are killing me. Glutes are very sore along with my quads a little. Calves are okay not too bad. Abs a little sore too.

Sleep.
      Last night I got 8.5 hours of sleep. Slept well. Need to really get 7+ every night.

Training. Rest.
      N/A.

Training Length.
      N/A.

Weight.
      First thing in the morning, without clothes, after using the restroom, I weighed 203 lbs. Down some from yesterday which I guess is a good thing I dont know. Didnt really think about it to be quite honest. Anyway good weight - need to keep up the hard work with eating clean etc.
    Last edited by MonStar; 08-15-2002 at 10:16 PM.

Looking at your diet and it's about time you got some real food! It's already showing in your weight! I don't know how you dealed with that shake diet for so long.. real food is so good
    No Pain, No Gain!

"Love changes, and best friends become strangers" - NaS

Originally posted by gregnb
    Looking at your diet and it's about time you got some real food! It's already showing in your weight! I don't know how you dealed with that shake diet for so long.. real food is so good
    I cant argue with you there gregnb. Yeah I am slowly trying to eat more and more and more real food. Keep the majority of my food solid clean foods, a little bit shakes and bars if theyre more convenient ya know? I am also trying to keep my sugars and saturated fats to a minimum even though its hard sometimes.

Anyway thanks for the reply gregnb, i really really appreciate it man. Keep up the hard work too. Thats one hell of a transformation you made.