The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by MarshallPenn
    NOW you say this. After I've told you a million times that there is no way you are squatting that much weight to parallel!

I made the Elite comment b/c you called all the Elite people stupid and still ask for their advice today!

Also, stop making claims about this being your last journal. You say that every day, and the next you start a new one. Nobody cares. Just go lift!
    Yeah man its all good dont worry about it Marshall.

I think that there are a few select members over at Elite that have a clue what theyre talking about. But I dont take their advice seriously like I do the advice here at WBB. I may not be squatting 425 to true parallel but Ill tell you something Marshall - I am getting DAMN close!!

Originally posted by Goin_Big
    ok, what I meant by parallel is that the top of my legs are parallel to the floor.

I dunno how people do ass to floor, it hurts my knees to do that with no weight.

If you can see your gut with a shirt on, you don't look bad
    Yeah exactly what is what I mean by parallel too GB. When your thighs are parallel with the ground. I dont know how many people honestly do ATF squats either. I personally dont see a reason to do them unless you have knee problems. I cant see my gut at all with a shirt on actually - I appear to be pretty lean because the definition in my forearms etc. is okay. But without my shirt its just a disaster.

Well, I'm nowhere near close to getting 425. So there! :-)

heh, we won't even talk about how little weight I'm using currently

but at least it's good form.

I just wanted to say that you're already pretty strong, so don't expect any great gains no matter what routine yer following
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

Well, I'm nowhere near close to getting 425. So there! :-)
    Haha just give it time man. Strength will come. You definitely seem to know what youre talking about so I am sure youll be squatting 400+ lbs. in no time.

Parallele to me is when your upper leg, not lower, is parallel to the floor. I go below that, and since I have a big ass, this is close to ATF, but not literally ATF. The knee joint angle noticeably breaks 90 degrees though.

heh, we won't even talk about how little weight I'm using currently

but at least it's good form.

I just wanted to say that you're already pretty strong, so don't expect any great gains no matter what routine yer following
    Form is important man - always use your form as a priority over the weight that youre using. Form should always take priority. I dont expect any freaky gains but I do expect to gain. Want to hit 495 lbs. squats by Christmas!

Haha achieving my goals will be one hell of a Christmas present!!
    Last edited by MonStar; 07-10-2002 at 04:33 PM.

good luck

yea, I learned to leave my ego at home about a year ago, and trust me, I learned it the hard way
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

Parallele to me is when your upper leg, not lower, is parallel to the floor. I go below that, and since I have a big ass, this is close to ATF, but not literally ATF. The knee joint angle noticeably breaks 90 degrees though.
    Oh see I use the bottom of my thighs. And I too have a big a*s. Typical squatters butt I guess. My girlfriend likes it so thats a plus for training my legs. You do go pretty low though man damn. Thats impressive.

Originally posted by lronMan

Haha just give it time man. Strength will come. You definitely seem to know what youre talking about so I am sure youll be squatting 400+ lbs. in no time.
    I don't know man. Squats are a bitch. It's slow going these days, and HST is not WSB, so I'm not exploding in strength on this particular lift this HST cycle. Maybe I will towards the end as usual, who knows. We'll see how my back holds up.
    Last edited by MarshallPenn; 07-10-2002 at 04:35 PM.

good luck

yea, I learned to leave my ego at home about a year ago, and trust me, I learned it the hard way
    Thanks for the support. All of us were new to bodybuilding at one time, and most of us learned the hard way too.

I don't know man. Squats are a bitch. It's slow going these days, and HST is not WSB, so I'm not exploding in strength on this particular lift this HST cycle. Maybe I will towards the end as usual, who knows. We'll see how my back holds up.
    Good luck Marshall, and stay injury free!!

Originally posted by lronMan

Good luck Marshall, and stay injury free!!
    Thanks, I'm trying. :-)

Ironman, what I meant was your 3rd day refeed is too much I think. Your talking about eating 4000-5000 calories. You are cutting for christ sakes. You aren't even low carbing on your non-refeed days. I think eating 200g carb for two days then refeeding 4000-5000 calories mainly made of carbs will not only refill your glycogen stores, but over-fill them them and lose most of your progress from the previous two days.
    I think at your bf%, one refeed a week is more wiser. You'll see your progress two-fold.
    "They will spend their nights dreaming of six-pack
    abs and a rock hard physique, little do they realize eventually we will reach
    our goal and they will be dreaming of the body we walk around with every
    day…only then will they understand." -- Severed Ties

"There are 6 billion people in this world, and I'm #1." -- me

I also squat with a VERY close stance, which slowly I'm trying to widen, but it just feels weird. And like you said, I don't want to hurt anything. I'm sure if I could get better at squatting wider I could raise my weights substantially.

Originally posted by Avatar
    Ironman, what I meant was your 3rd day refeed is too much I think. Your talking about eating 4000-5000 calories. You are cutting for christ sakes. You aren't even low carbing on your non-refeed days. I think eating 200g carb for two days then refeeding 4000-5000 calories mainly made of carbs will not only refill your glycogen stores, but over-fill them them and lose most of your progress from the previous two days.
    I think at your bf%, one refeed a week is more wiser. You'll see your progress two-fold.
    Thanks for the post Avatar. I am going to see how things go. I honestly dont think that Ill experience anything too bad with 3rd day refeeds. I mean even with every other day refeeds I was getting okay results. Not as good as I would have liked but still pretty good. I mean not bad by any means.

Well see how things go I guess. I am going to see how my body reacts to 3rd day refeeds. If that doesnt work out I may bump it to 4th or 5th day refeeds. Probably 5th.

Wannabebig Member

LOL

Welcome to the above parallel club!
    If form is the first priority, then nobody will need to confess anymore.
    Last edited by Somebody; 07-10-2002 at 04:48 PM.

I also squat with a VERY close stance, which slowly I'm trying to widen, but it just feels weird. And like you said, I don't want to hurt anything. I'm sure if I could get better at squatting wider I could raise my weights substantially.
    Alright man good luck with your squatting. Like I said stay injury free and keep up the HST. It seems to be working out well for you.

Re: LOL

Originally posted by Somebody
    Welcome to the above parallel club!
    If form is the first priority, then nobody will need to confess anymore.
    Okay... Form is priority and I dont think an inch or two would make that much of a difference personally. Its all good though.

somebody... r u hk? if so use the hk account is got banned by accident.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

2" below parallel, parallel and 2" above parallel are all completely different in terms of effort in the lift. Compare 2" above and parallel..it is MUCH harder to hit parallel then to come 2" from it. 2" below is also another story, which may include flexibility also. Monstar, I would suggest going for parallel, you'll notice a big difference in how hard it is.

I suggest you do what's comfortable. Some people simply aren't built to go low. With my structure, for example, it's actually physically uncomfortable, on the joints themselves even, to hit parallel. And I used to be able to do a full split. Something about the lift just doesn't agree with me. If you want to maximize development and stay injury free, go as deep as is comfortable. Just make sure you hit that depth on every single set.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Originally posted by Hulk
    somebody... r u hk? if so use the hk account is got banned by accident.
    I think that somebody and HK are the same account. Or they just have similar personalities or something because they post a lot a like.

Originally posted by heathj
    2" below parallel, parallel and 2" above parallel are all completely different in terms of effort in the lift. Compare 2" above and parallel..it is MUCH harder to hit parallel then to come 2" from it. 2" below is also another story, which may include flexibility also. Monstar, I would suggest going for parallel, you'll notice a big difference in how hard it is.
    Yeah I dont know though man. I never really notice much of a difference. When I set the pins to parallel and all the way down as far as I can possible go thats good enough for me. I mean I usually go about an inch or so about the pins. Not much of a difference. Sometimes Ill touch the pins, sometimes I wont. Never notice a difference at all.

When I go all the way down to 90 degrees I feel extreme discomfort in my hip flexors and my entire hip area. A tight feeling or something its very discomforting.

Originally posted by Belial
    I suggest you do what's comfortable. Some people simply aren't built to go low. With my structure, for example, it's actually physically uncomfortable, on the joints themselves even, to hit parallel. And I used to be able to do a full split. Something about the lift just doesn't agree with me. If you want to maximize development and stay injury free, go as deep as is comfortable. Just make sure you hit that depth on every single set.
    Yeah I agree B.

What's comfortable is how far doing I am going now. I strive to get pretty damn low on every rep. Even with warmups like 135, 225, and 315 lbs. the weight isnt even challenging so basically I am just going for depth and I dont go lower then than I do with my work sets.

Haha same here B. Thats really funny a few years back I took karate and was able to do a full stradle or whatever. Dont know what the hell happened to that. Not anymore. Totally agreed about staying injury free and going as low as is physically comfortable. Yeah I always go down to the same depth on every single rep of every set. Like I said even with warmups.