Page 4 of 59 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: MonStar's FINAL Journal

My two cents: I think that for the sheer purpose of developing strength (read, any set over 3 reps), its fine to come shy of parallel. I know personally, I try to hit parallel, competition legal, on the first rep, and after that I just get as low as is comfortable.

In a 6RM, you aren't trying to please any judges, and depth on maxes can be worked on later.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

bone crusher
    i agree very much with heath that there is a significant difference in the effort required to achieve or go past parallel. I myself prefer to go as low as i can go, which is roughly when my hams make contact with my calves- probably 2" or more below parallel. If i were training to have the maximum squat weight possible for competition then i would train at parallel. If i were just trying to have the highest squat weight period, I'd perform 1/4 squats
    It depends on your goals. I am concentrating on form (deep squat) with maximum weight possible)

I must say since i started going as low as i can go my ass size has increased exponentially

x
    Last edited by MonStar; 12-19-2002 at 07:05 AM.

Originally posted by the doc
    i agree very much with heath that there is a significant difference in the effort required to achieve or go past parallel. I myself prefer to go as low as i can go, which is roughly when my hams make contact with my calves- probably 2" or more below parallel.
    Really doc? I dont see that there is that much of a difference between parallel squats or an inch or two above. I cant really get below parallel just because of my flexibility and my body frame I guess. Dont really understand it at all.

If i were training to have the maximum squat weight possible for competition then i would train at parallel. If i were just trying to have the highest squat weight period, I'd perform 1/4 squats
    It depends on your goals. I am concentrating on form (deep squat) with maximum weight possible)

I must say since i started going as low as i can go my ass size has increased exponentially
    Haha 1/4th squats huh doc? My ROM is really good I think considering how much I am squatting. I mean maybe I should be going down that extra inch but that would make squatting extremely uncomfortable. I am concentrating on a comfortable ROM and obviously using as much weight as possible. Really? Haha maybe I should try that my girlfriend said when it comes to my a*s the bigger the better. Within limits of course.

"Don't stop now straight to the top now."

Get your sh*t back together Mike(like when you dropped a sh*tload of fat AND gained strength on NHE) and get it done.
    "In the grand scheme of things, both things are quite superficial(obsessed with being muscular&ripped and incredibly strong). And yet lifting can teach you so much. My time at the gym--at least when I'm lifting--is invariably the high-point of my day. There aren't any questions; I almost don't even think. I go into an almost meditative trance-like state. Day-to-day worries become insignificant. I'm focused solely on the weight, and my reason for existence is clear. To move the bar and to improve on what I accomplished last time. Seldom are things so simple." - Blood&Iron

"Most people cannot understand what burns in our blood, the gym is our addiction and iron is our drug. People don't understand why we commit hours a day to a goal where progress is so small it seems immeasurable, why we do cardio instead of watch TV, why eat 6 meals a day, why we insist on ordering diet soda or how we can drink skim milk. Most people will simply never grasp why we refuse to settle for a mediocre body." - Severed Ties

Originally posted by lronMan
    I dont see that there is that much of a difference between parallel squats or an inch or two above.
    Try to take your 425*6 to TRUE parallel and I guarantee you won't get it. That's the difference. Most people's sticking point in the squat comes when they're in the hole (which is that last 2 inches of depth) ... it makes a tremendous difference when you stop short of that sticking point.

Originally posted by Marcel
    "Don't stop now straight to the top now."

Get your sh*t back together Mike(like when you dropped a sh*tload of fat AND gained strength on NHE) and get it done.
    Yeah I know man I dont know how I had so much dedication then. Not sure what the hell was so much different than it is now. I mean personally I know I think the same way. Then I thought that I was soft and flabby as I do now. Nothing has changed.

Yeah I need to really get back on track.

Originally posted by Otter
    Try to take your 425*6 to TRUE parallel and I guarantee you won't get it. That's the difference. Most people's sticking point in the squat comes when they're in the hole (which is that last 2 inches of depth) ... it makes a tremendous difference when you stop short of that sticking point.
    True parallel hurts my hips and joints too much to comfortably do it. Especially with 425 lbs. I probably wouldnt get it because of the awkwardness and the discomfort - not because I wasnt strong enough. Yeah I dont know Otter youre right about that - most peoples sticking point is without a doubt those last few inches.

Originally posted by lronMan
    I probably wouldnt get it because of the awkwardness and the discomfort - not because I wasnt strong enough.
    This isn't a knock against you, just a seemingly solid constant in weightlifting ... I doubt you are strong enough to get the same weight at a lower depth. Going deep changes the entire groove and focus of the squat ... and makes it much harder.

DAY 2 | 7-11-2002

Comments.
    • ----------------------------------------------------------------
      Woke up okay today. Fell asleep with the damn TV on I hate when that sh*t happens I never really sleep as well as I should. F*cking crap pisses me off so much. Anyway I was on HST for a bit and I am totally not used to getting this sore!! My chest and delts and triceps are hurting so much its unreal.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------

Diet.
      Meal 1: Meso-Tech MRP + 1 cup 2% milk

Meal 2: 2 slices whole-wheat bread + 4 slices low-fat cheese + 1 cup skim milk

Meal 3: 3 servings protein + 1 cup skim milk

CHEATED!!... haha what the f*ck is my problem. I am so f*cking pathetic its just sickening. I cant even deal with how pathetic I am. Oh well there is nothing that I can do now. Its over. I am thinking that this like is REALLY not working out for me. All this refeed sh*t is just making me binge more. Jeez haha I this is a joke.

My leptin probably shot up though, with pizza and candy and soda and all the good stuff. Lol.

Pain/Soreness.
      Chest and triceps are KILLING me!! My front delts are also completely aching holy f*ck. Side delts really arent too bad.

Sleep.
      Last night I got 8 hours of sleep. Slept okay I guess. Woke up a little thirsty and maybe a little sweaty too. Nothing thats too big of a deal I dont think.

Supplements.
    • 5g glutamine precardio (1 Lipodryl + 250 mg. usnic acid)
    • multi-vitamin/mineral 2x today
    • 1g vitamin C 3x today
    • 400 IU vitamin E 3x today
    • 1 Calcium Complete 3x today
    • 1 Lipodryl 1x today
    • 250 mg. usnic acid 2x today
    • 6 mg. melatonin + 5g glutamine before bed

Training. Rest.
      N/A.

Training Length.
      N/A.

Weight.
      First thing in the morning, without clothes, after using the restroom, I weighed 203.5 lbs. I am down 2 lbs. from yesterday's weigh in which is pretty good I guess. Probably a little water weight, I am not really sure.
    Last edited by MonStar; 08-15-2002 at 10:06 PM.

Hmmm, well who's he trying to impress, you, or himself

sorry, dis was for otter.
    Last edited by Goin_Big; 07-11-2002 at 09:19 AM.
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

This isn't a knock against you, just a seemingly solid constant in weightlifting ... I doubt you are strong enough to get the same weight at a lower depth. Going deep changes the entire groove and focus of the squat ... and makes it much harder.
    I dont know Otter. I think I might cut my bench presses short of the sticking point too. I lower to bar down to around 1-2" off of my chest. This way I dont bounce the bar off my chest etc. But then again I see a lot of guys get stuck at their chest so I dont really know. I am not sure. I feel like as long as I do whats comfortable and stay injury free than Ill be fine.

Originally posted by Goin_Big

sorry, dis was for otter.
    Good point GB.

Its not really a "dis" either because honestly I am going down as far is comfortable. I mean maybe I should go an inch or so lower. But I am not going to put myself through discomfort just because that last inch or 2 will make some big difference. I dont believe squats were designed to ache in your hips and joints when you hit rock bottom.

no, by dis I meant this, I was just too lazy too type it, lol

bone crusher
    i must admit that i have been wondering how in the hell you've been squatting that weight... now i see ...
    Regardless, I agree with powerman, squat as low as you're comfortable. I mean if you really cant go to parallel then so be it. Go as deep as yo fell comfortable

You know though if i didn't touch my chest on bench press i'd probably be able to move 350+. Just above the chest is the sticking point and the hardest part of the lift.

no, by dis I meant this, I was just too lazy too type it, lol
    Oh haha I was like sorry for the "dis," I was just thinking you meant sorry for the insult. Anyway thats okay man dont worry about it.

I've always benched down to my chest, which may be why I don't have a sticking point there. Instead mine's at the top

Originally posted by the doc
    i must admit that i have been wondering how in the hell you've been squatting that weight... now i see ...
    Regardless, I agree with powerman, squat as low as you're comfortable. I mean if you really cant go to parallel then so be it. Go as deep as yo fell comfortable
    Agreed man. I mean honestly I warmup with 135 lbs. and go as low and I can really focusing on depth and I still go to the same exact place even when I am going as low as possible. So I think that its just my body frame or my flexibility or something. I am not going to take all of the fun out of squats by dropped that extra inch or 2. I dont know why you guys act like now my squat strength is just a joke Ill have to post some pictures some day because I go a lot deeper than I think you all are imagining.

You know though if i didn't touch my chest on bench press i'd probably be able to move 350+. Just above the chest is the sticking point and the hardest part of the lift.
    Really? I dont know I have done bench presses this way for years. Coaches back in highschool made us do them this way. This is how I like it. I cant standing going all the way down to my pecs I feel like it bounces the weight off your chest, etc.

I've always benched down to my chest, which may be why I don't have a sticking point there. Instead mine's at the top
    Yeah man I see a lot of people with this problem actually. They get 1/2 way to 3 quarters up and they cant lockout at the top of the lift. Its a shame actually. I believe your triceps strength has to do with locking out. I am not sure though.
    Last edited by MonStar; 07-11-2002 at 09:31 AM.

I think mine's actually my shoulders. I seem to have overcome the problem though, I don't think I have a sticking point except for too much weight any more

Can't be my triceps though, they're one of my best muscles. My shoulders are my weakest muscle, which is whey I think it's them.

I've noticed the db bench press seems to help overcome bench problems.

Although I'm also not at the weight ya'll are at.

I wasn't referring to anyone being impressed. He didn't think there would be much difference in going that last 2 inches to parallel ... I was just pointing out that it's a BIG difference.

the only real difference is it puts more pressure on the glutes and lower back. I know for a fact cuz I've done squats both ways and currently am making sure to go low enough to get the top of my legs to parallel. Now if you're talking about ATF, yes that is a hell of a difference.

Can't be my triceps though, they're one of my best muscles. My shoulders are my weakest muscle, which is whey I think it's them.
    Your triceps are mainly responsible for locking out ... delts are more used at the bottom of the lift. Improve your triceps and I bet your lockouts will improve.

I think mine's actually my shoulders. I seem to have overcome the problem though, I don't think I have a sticking point except for too much weight any more

I've noticed the db bench press seems to help overcome bench problems.

Although I'm also not at the weight ya'll are at.
    Yeah man everyone's weakpoint is different. I am not sure why mine is. Believe it or not I think my weakpoint is either my pecs or delts. My triceps are pretty strong, but then again so are my delts. So I dont know. My pecs are pretty strong too (85s for flyes) so I am not sure why my bench sucks so much. I mean maybe its not horrible but its not nearly as high as I would like it.

I wasn't referring to anyone being impressed. He didn't think there would be much difference in going that last 2 inches to parallel ... I was just pointing out that it's a BIG difference.
    I understand what youre saying Otter. Its a valid point. I just didnt think that an inch or two could make that much of a difference ya know? Well see next time I do squats maybe Ill try and go deeper even though its extremely uncomfortable. Maybe it is a bigger difference than I thought.