Page 41 of 59 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1472

Thread: MonStar's FINAL Journal

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    I can resize an image for you, no problem.

Originally posted by Saturday Fever
    You should only be going heavy once every two weeks, ideally. One week would entail a heavy chest/light triceps day. The next week would entail light chest/heavy triceps. The same goes for your legs. This degree of separation should keep you from fatiguing yourself too much.

You're probably like me and go to the gym an extra day every week because you can't stand being away. This might start to fatigue your system, but it wouldn't happen overnight. (relatively speaking)
    Yeah that is what I am doing SF, heavy chest/light triceps, and then the following week light chest/heavy triceps. So I guess its all good, Ill just try it until I feel like I am in an overtrained state or my CNS is being overworked. Then maybe Ill change it up a bit. With all this non-failure work though I doubt that will happen.

Anyways man my split is the following:

1- pull
    2- push
    3- off
    4- legs
    5- off

Its been that way for around a month or so now I think and I really enjoy it, a lot. Makes things very easy to remember etc. Give legs a day before and after because squats are so f*cking hard on my body.

Lets talk about your squat poundage.

Looking back at your journal it seems that you've jumped more then 100 pounds in your squat in 1 months time. That is a huge jump regardless of whether you did 5 sets of 405 just 4 weeks back. Where did you set the pins to? The first notch up, the second etc?

If your not going all the way down how far are you going down?
    Are you wearng a belt because I see no mention of you wearing one. Although I could have missed that.

Also what kind of stance are you taking?

If you can provide evidence in the form of a picture I would gladly eat my words. I guess I just have trouble comprehending how a 18 year old can squat 515 pounds.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Originally posted by Maki Riddington
    Lets talk about your squat poundage.
    Thanks for posting this in my journal Maki. I will be 100% honest with you as I always am about the credibility of my lifts. I can understand why youre having doubts about my strength etc. Especially me being only 18 years old.

Looking back at your journal it seems that you've jumped more then 100 pounds in your squat in 1 months time. That is a huge jump regardless of whether you did 5 sets of 405 just 4 weeks back. Where did you set the pins to? The first notch up, the second etc?
    I have not jumped more than 100 lbs. in my squat, far from it. I have jumped more than 100 lbs. in the past few months, however. Around 2 months ago I believe, maybe more, I tested my 1RM for squats and it was 495 x 1. Then I tried 515 and didnt get it at all. 4 weeks back as you said I did 405 for 5x5, and then worked up to 425 for 5x5. Where do I set the pins? I set the pins in the power rack on #14, I dont know if all power racks correspond though. #1 is as high as the pins can go and #20 is the lowest.

If your not going all the way down how far are you going down? Are you wearng a belt because I see no mention of you wearing one. Although I could have missed that.
    I am going a bit above parallel. I am going to attach this picture because it truly depicts how far down I am going. The left part of the picture is a parallel squat. The right side of the pictuire is LITERALLY, where I squat. Haha trust me on this one though, I dont squat any higher than that (seriously). I had to look at the picture a few times because it looks awfully high.

As this maybe extreme, I honestly have no idea why I dont go to rockbotttom with squats. I started doing squats and had my girlfriend watch me and I went down to parallel, and had a lot of discomfort etc. Didnt like it at all. And no I am not wearing a belt, never felt the need to. It does seem that a ton of the weight is on my lower back, I might add.

Also what kind of stance are you taking?
    I am taking a very wide stance actually. Probably double-shoulder width with my feet pointing forward. Just the most comfortable stance to be honest.

If you can provide evidence in the form of a picture I would gladly eat my words. I guess I just have trouble comprehending how a 18 year old can squat 515 pounds.
    I would LOVE to provide you guys with a picture. Um.. Ill try and get a picture taken somehow, at this point I dont know how but I honestly will try to. Seriously.
    Attached Images Attached Images

DAY 70 | 9-17-2002

Comments.
    • ----------------------------------------------------------------
      Woke up feeling pretty good today I guess. Definitely not enough sleep last night but it was my f*cking fault, what an a*shole. Anyways need to realize that maxing out and coming so close to my 1RM all the time is not going to be easy on my CNS - and sleep is going to be crucial for this heavy/light program especially. Gotta stop f*cking around like some idiot. Have psychology this morning, and then math afterwards.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------

Diet/Supplements.
      Preworkout: orange juice, multi-vitamin/mineral, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E, 5cc Liquid Clenbutrx

During Workout: 32 oz. Gatorade + 5g creatine + 5g glutamine + 1/2 tsp. salt

Postworkout: 1/2 serving Cell-Tech + 500 mg. ALA, 3g l-arginine, 2 servings whey protein

Meal 4: 2 Taco Bell supreme beef gorditas, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E

Meal 5: 1 Burger King hershey pie, 1 Burger King 4-piece chicken tender, multi-vitamin/mineral, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E, 1 Vasopro, 1 Xenadrine EFX

Meal 6: 1 slice pepperoni pizza, 1 soft pretzel, Nature Valley bar

Meal 7: skim milk

Good amount of food today I think. I dont know really. I had to guess for a few things actually. Oh well. Definitely enough caloriies thats for damn sure, hehe.

Estimated calories: ~3200

This is a very ROUGH estimate I might add. I really dont have an exact # to post so its pretty much a shot in the dark to be completely honest. I am hoping for a GOOD workout tomorrow morning. Going for a 295 lbs. bench I think.

Pain/Soreness.
      Feel pretty damn good today upper body wise. My legs are SHOT though. Quads and glutes are friggin' killing me. Hamstrings feel fine and so do my calves. Lower back is a little bit stiff and all that. Going to try and stretch it out throughout the day today.

Sleep.
      Last night I got 6 hours sleep. tuttuttuttut Stupid move on my part. Came home WAY too late from my girlfriend's place. What an a*shole. I am now going to be moody and grumpy all friggin' day. Thats always nice.

Training. Pull.
      Light Back, Heavy Biceps.

Good workout today I think. I think I may have strained my left biceps somewhere in my workout today. My biceps were fine until I did either supported rows or v-bar pulldowns. One of those totally tore up my left biceps. I think that it was pulldowns to be honest. Afterwards it felt like extreme DOMS on that side more than anything. And I know I didnt just notice DOMS from 5 days ago in the middle of my workout today. Anyways this has happened once or twice before and should be fine in a few days.

Wide-grip Underhand Chins:

-20 x 6, BW x 3, +50 x 5, +25 x 7

Good sets of WG chins today. Really hit my lats hard I think with this movement. Started off with my warmups of -20 and BW for 6 and a triple. Not bad at all. BW chins now are SO easy, I was thinking about it and 2 years ago I would have probably been able to 4-5 BW chins. Now I do them like theyre absolutely nothing at all. I mean it just feels like I am pulling a bar with no weight to my chin. Anyways moved up to +50 for 5. Nice set. Wasnt too hard or too easy I dont think. Not to failure of course, but not extremely hard either. Enjoy going light on this exercise. Really lets me feel the movement out. Moved onto +25 for 7. Not to failure, but a little close actually. Took a very short break in between these sets. Nice back contractions and all that today. Going heavy next week.

Supported Underhand Rows:

235 x 5, 190 x 7

Nice sets of rows today, without a doubt. Started off with 235 for 5. This set was actually a b*tch. A little hard for a light day to be honest. I maybe should have done 210 and 190. Oh well. Got some good back contractions and all that considering. Nice form and everything like that. Dropped to 190 for 7. Nice set here. Weight was just right. Light enough to focus on feeling it in my lats and heavy enough to come within reps of failure. Both sets were good. Going heavy next week, that should be fun.

Seated V-bar Pulldowns:

170 x 6, 155 x 7

This is where I think I strained my left biceps. Oh well. Used 170 for 6 to start. Pretty easy weight, nice lat contractions. Arched my back and really pulled with my lats completely. This is one of my favorite back exercises without a doubt. I feel it completely in my lats. Dropped to 155 for 7. Nice set here too. Crushed my lats completely. Going heavy on this exercise next week. As long as my biceps are not giving me any trouble. I am sure that they wont.

Dumbbell Shrugs:

95 x 6, 95 x 5

Good sets of shrugs today. Grip was a little tired. It wasnt even my grip it was my left ring finger. I pinched it loading 45s onto the supported rows. DAMN that hurt! Anyway good sets here. Got 6 and 5 reps, respectively. Contracted my traps hard and got a good stretch in my traps at the bottom of each rep. Nice pump in my traps from this movement.

Standing Barbell Curls:

145 x 2.5 (!), 125 x 5.5, 105 x 6.5

HEAVY curls today. Started off with 145 lbs. Wow, thats by FAR a new PB for me. My PB before this was 135 for 4 I believe. Jumped up to 145 and I was only really going for a 1RM. Somehow I pulled off 2.5 reps. First rep was a little body English, but other than that I was fine. Only made it maybe 1/3 of the way up on the 3rd rep but it was close enough to a 1/2 rep, so I counted it. Dropped to 125 and got 5.5 reps! Strength here was very good. I only expected to get 3-4 reps here, and I pulled off close to 6. Dropped 20 more lbs. to 105 and got 6.5 reps. Nice set here, great way to finish off my curls today. Nice contractions in my biceps, seriously. Hammered the hell outta my biceps. Impressed myself today. Biceps were pumped up and fried. Failure on all 3 sets, no question.

Incline Alternating Dumbbell Hammer Curls:

45 x 4.5 (!)

Nice set of hammers today!! Pretty high incline, probably between 45 degrees and 90 degrees haha. I would guess maybe 70 degree incline. Dont want to be laying too far back, but I want enough of an incline to completely prevent cheating. Anyways, great set of curls today. Hit my brachialis very hard. Hit failure without a doubt. First few reps really werent bad. Then the 4th one came and that was a B*TCH. Finally I got a 1/2 rep on each side and I was dead. Biceps were pumped as f*ck though. Looking good. Going back to the 25s on this next week, hehe.

Training Length.
      Lasted 30 minutes today. Pretty good length I think for the most part. Really didnt have to wait for anything. Just got in the gym and got out. Nice session.

Weight.
      First thing in the morning, without clothes, after using the restroom, I weighed 202.5 lbs. Okay weight I guess, not really a big deal to be honest. Same weight as yesterday I believe. Going to try and hover around 200 lbs. unless I start to add LEAN body mass then I wont mind gaining a bit. But I am focusing on keeping my calories down and just upping my strength right now. Want to be big and strong! Not just big.
    Last edited by MonStar; 09-17-2002 at 08:53 PM.

Monstar, on the prior page you mentioned that your goals were: (1) hypertrophy, and (2) strength, and now you say you are trying to keep the calories down and just increase the strength? Which is it, bro?

Also, on the squats, what exactly is discomforting? I think with a little work, you can go parallel with no discomfort. Have you tried playing around with your stance? I know that feet pointed straight forward is not the most comfortable position for me. It could just be flexibility too. I have horrible flexibility and it took me a couple of months to squat below parallel comfortably. I just kept going a little bit lower each time and stretched the legs after squatting. I honestly think this is something you can overcome with a little work. Then you won't have all these people bugging you about your squats.
    Last edited by TMan; 09-17-2002 at 08:06 AM.

You only go to the image on the right? You got another 4" or so to go down...sheeeiiiit...Oh well, if it hurts to go down farther, don't.

Originally posted by TMan
    Monstar, on the prior page you mentioned that your goals were: (1) hypertrophy, and (2) strength, and now you say you are trying to keep the calories down and just increase the strength? Which is it, bro?
    Nice question TMan. Currently my goals are both hypertrophy and strength. I mean I kind of just have this fear of gaining bodyfat, thats all. I was 240 lbs. last Christmas and DO NOT want to get back into that shape no matter what happens. I mean I cannot stand being a big blob like that.

Also, on the squats, what exactly is discomforting? I think with a little work, you can go parallel with no discomfort. Have you tried playing around with your stance? I know that feet pointed straight forward is not the most comfortable position for me. It could just be flexibility too. I have horrible flexibility and it took me a couple of months to squat below parallel comfortably. I just kept going a little bit lower each time and stretched the legs after squatting. I honestly think this is something you can overcome with a little work. Then you won't have all these people bugging you about your squats.
    Yeah I might be able to overcome my lack of flexibility in squats with a few months of flexibility work. I am not sure that this matters much to me though. I mean okay its tough to compare myself to other guys here @ WBB who squat down to parallel but when it comes to leg stimulation and everything like that I am NOT cutting myself short, at all. I feel squats completely in my quads and glutes. When I squat deep and when I squat more shallow like I have been doing the past few months. I like both a great deal.

So I am not going to concern myself with guys here bugging me. If for some reason theyre dying to compete with me strength wise, they can go down as far as I do (or as close to it as possible) and see how they do. I doubt more than a few of them will squat 515. But who knows I could be wrong. Even though I am not going to rockbottom failure I can give you my word that it doesnt make squats by any means easy.

Originally posted by heathj
    You only go to the image on the right? You got another 4" or so to go down...sheeeiiiit...Oh well, if it hurts to go down farther, don't.
    Yeah I know exactly what youre saying now heathj. Maybe I do have another 4" to go. I really thought that it was only 2-3" but maybe it is close to 4", I am not sure. It doesnt matter much to me anymore. I mean I know how deep I go, and I know I am hammering the sh*t outta my lower body.

And youre exactly right heathj if it hurts to go down further, and I can tell you from experience that it does not increase leg stimulation, then the only real reason to do it to compete with guys here @ WBB, or for a powerlifting competition. Neither of which matter a great deal to me.

Mystic Eric
    Originally posted by MonStar

Yeah I know exactly what youre saying now heathj. Maybe I do have another 4" to go. I really thought that it was only 2-3" but maybe it is close to 4", I am not sure. It doesnt matter much to me anymore. I mean I know how deep I go, and I know I am hammering the sh*t outta my lower body.

And youre exactly right heathj if it hurts to go down further, and I can tell you from experience that it does not increase leg stimulation, then the only real reason to do it to compete with guys here @ WBB, or for a powerlifting competition. Neither of which matter a great deal to me.
    I know I said I woudln't post here again, but this is a special occasion:

Mike. It only hurts to go down that low because you're using too much weight. I can add on 350 and I'm sure it would hurt to go that low because I can't use that weight to squat properly.

Originally posted by Mystic Eric
    I know I said I woudln't post here again, but this is a special occasion:

Mike. It only hurts to go down that low because you're using too much weight. I can add on 350 and I'm sure it would hurt to go that low because I can't use that weight to squat properly.
    Thanks for posting ME. I dont know why you said that you wouldnt post in my journal again, I dont remember us having any problems with one another. Oh well. Anyway squatting down low with 135 lbs. hurts. So obviously squatting down that far is just uncomfortable for me overall. I am just going to continue what I am doing since it is working for me.

Mike...how is it working for you...if you aren't going deep then i don't think its helping your strength...i mean you can probably do heavy walk-outs now...but that would be about it...and i've seen some of your leg pics, you have some promise there, but, 6 months of deep squatting would blow up your thighs.
    May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

I hate narrow-stance squats with a passion, but I love using a really wide stance. It feels a lot more comfortable, makes the ROM significantly smaller for a 6'4 guy, and seems to fit my body a lot better.

Originally posted by just_a_pup
    Mike...how is it working for you...if you aren't going deep then i don't think its helping your strength...i mean you can probably do heavy walk-outs now...but that would be about it...and i've seen some of your leg pics, you have some promise there, but, 6 months of deep squatting would blow up your thighs.
    My squats are not hindering my leg strength, or my leg development, at all JAP. Heavy walkouts dont mean sh*t. Heavy walking out followed by a heavy squats is whats important. Yeah I dont know man. Big thick quads are FAR from the look that I am going for. Hypertrophy I really dont want to add much size to my legs, if any. I want to add size to my calves. But to my thighs I think that theyre big enough. I know thats crazy to a lot of you guys.

I hate narrow-stance squats with a passion, but I love using a really wide stance. It feels a lot more comfortable, makes the ROM significantly smaller for a 6'4 guy, and seems to fit my body a lot better.
    Yeah man I agree. A wide-stance squat just seems more natural to me. I guess I am just crazy but I enjoy them by FAR compared to regular narrow-stance deep squats. I can feel these completely in my lower body and everything like that. So I have no reason like I have said again and again to switch to deeper squats.

I go real deep, I just don't have to squat as far with a wide stance. The wide stance makes the distance between my hips and my knees much shorter than standing upright in a narrow stance. For my workouts, I use a box that goes roughly 3" below competition depth. (Competition depoth being defined as the crease of the hips being 1" below the top of the knee.) For me to go below parallel with a narrow stance with anything more than 140 pounds would be damn near impossible, that'd be many FEET of descent and ascent.

I go real deep, I just don't have to squat as far with a wide stance. The wide stance makes the distance between my hips and my knees much shorter than standing upright in a narrow stance. For my workouts, I use a box that goes roughly 3" below competition depth. (Competition depoth being defined as the crease of the hips being 1" below the top of the knee.) For me to go below parallel with a narrow stance with anything more than 140 pounds would be damn near impossible, that'd be many FEET of descent and ascent.
    Thanks for the info SF, appreciate it. Yeah I generally think that a wider stance does more or less shorten your ROM. Oh well, its not too big of a deal. I think that a lot of guys here @ WBB make a bigger deal out of it than really exists. Just my personal opinion. I mean its not like I am trying to claim, "I parallel squat 515!" So I dont know why anyone gives a sh*t. Anyway SF, thanks for the response.

Haha I am about to leave for the gym, going for a 300 lbs. bench I believe. I am going to try and get it - I am just hoping that the strength is going to be there.

Energizer Bunnie
    Haha I am about to leave for the gym, going for a 300 lbs. bench I believe. I am going to try and get it - I am just hoping that the strength is going to be there.
    Go you good thing !!!! As a wise man from this forum keeps telling me - be RELENTLESS & just kick ass
    Last edited by Franjipani; 09-18-2002 at 05:29 AM.
    "Happiness is not an accident. Nor is it something you wish for. Happiness is something you design." Jim Rohn

A Work In Progress....II

DailyDiet

Originally posted by Franjipani
    Go you good thing !!!! As a wise man from this forum keeps telling me - be RELENTLESS & just kick ass
    Haha thanks Fran.

I am going to go all out for this 300 lbs. bench. I am not sure whether or not the strength is going to be there. I tried 305 I believe. Or maybe it was 300, I dont even remember and didnt get it. Well last time I benched real heavy I did 275 x 2, 285 x 1, and then I think 295-300 x 0. So well see how things go.

bone crusher
    ok lmao here mike

Look i understand you are trying to max out your strength here. However, this squat thing is bothering me. You see, I have done squats both ways, and when you go to less than parallel, they are much, much, much easier than if you go to at or below. Now if you have some injury that prevents you from achieving a full range of motion on squat, then by all means keep doing what you are doing. It has been my exerience that when you go short of parallel, and then add more weight, you go a little shorter of parallel

you wouldn't do half a chin, half a bench, half a curl, or half a dead as your main lifts. Now if you have a specific reason for doing partials then fine, but please mention them as "partial deads/squats/bench" (as some people do here

regardless way to go on your progress!

Originally posted by the doc
    ok lmao here mike

Look i understand you are trying to max out your strength here. However, this squat thing is bothering me. You see, I have done squats both ways, and when you go to less than parallel, they are much, much, much easier than if you go to at or below. Now if you have some injury that prevents you from achieving a full range of motion on squat, then by all means keep doing what you are doing. It has been my exerience that when you go short of parallel, and then add more weight, you go a little shorter of parallel

you wouldn't do half a chin, half a bench, half a curl, or half a dead as your main lifts. Now if you have a specific reason for doing partials then fine, but please mention them as "partial deads/squats/bench" (as some people do here

regardless way to go on your progress!
    Haha thanks a lot for the reply doc. I appreciate it. I am really thinking about just going ahead and saying f*ck it and going to parallel. I mean not below parallel but I think that more than 515 lbs. short of parallel is getting hard on my knees. And I doubt that I could get more than 400 lbs. if that going down to parallel. From what I understand it takes about 100 lbs. off of your squat, so well see.

I have made the decision. I AM going to drop my squats down to parallel.

Next leg day I am going light on squats so it will really let me drop my squat and see what it feels like. I will probably make my stance a bit more narrow like a few of you guys have suggested. Well see how things go.

DAY 71 | 9-18-2002

Comments.
      Woke up feeling pretty damn good today I think. Looking forward to getting in the gym for heavy chest and light triceps. Going to try for a 1.5 x BW bench, I dont know if Ill get it or not though. I am just hoping pretty much at this point. Last time I went all out on bench I got 275 x 2, 285 x 1, and 300 x 0. So I am just going to try and go all out. I am HOPING that I get it. Ill be so discouraged if I dont. Wish me luck! My girlfriend usually wishes me luck before my workouts and they end up being great, but shes still sleeping.

Diet/Supplements.
      Preworkout: 1 banana, orange juice, multi-vitamin/mineral, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E, 5cc Liquid Clenbutrx

During Workout: 32 oz. Gatorade + 5g creatine + 5g glutamine + 1/2 tsp. salt

Postworkout: 1/2 serving Cell-Tech + 500 mg. ALA, 3g l-arginine, 2 servings whey protein

Meal 4: 2 Taco Bell supreme beef gorditas, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E

Meal 5: dry papaya

Meal 6: soy chips, multi-vitamin/mineral, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E, 1 Vasopro, 1 Xenadrine EFX

Meal 7: 1 Luna bar

Meal 8: 1 Burger King 5-piece chicken tender, 1 Burger King hershey pie, 1 Burger King small onion ring

Meal 9: ice-cream

Damn took in a lot of calories today, hehe. Not all of them were bad calories either I dont think so its all good. Anyways, diet was okay today. Or eating I should say, not diet. Hehe.

Estimated calories: ~3300

Not too big I mean I didnt go overboard or anything like that, so I personally couldnt care less about it.

Pain/Soreness.
      Not too sore today. Biceps are friggin' killing me. Lats are bit sore, but nothing really too bad I dont think. Overall I feel pretty damn good I think. Lower back is a little stiff I think. But my legs really arent hurting anymore. So its all good.

Sleep.
      Last night I got 7 hours of sleep. Good amount of sleep, and really really slept well I think. Slept straight through and had some whacky dreams. Anyways, need to keep it up.

Training. Push.
      Heavy Chest, Light Triceps.

SH*TTY push session today!! What the hell was wrong with me!? I am so friggin' dissapointed in myself its unbelievable. My bench strength today sucked so badly I couldnt even believe it. I stayed cool and calm though afterwards and tried not to let it ruin my entire workout. Oh well.

Flat Barbell Presses:

135 x 6, 185 x 3, 225 x 2, 300 x 0, 295 x 0, 275 x 1.5, 245 x 3.5

HORRIBLE sets of bench today. I was so dissapointed in my strength. I am really not sure what the hell happened. I mean 300 was so far out of my league it was crazy. I didnt even get CLOSE, to 300 or 295. I just did 285 x 1 a few months back so I cant figure out whats going on with my strength. I PMed chris mason and PowerManDL and asked them to reply here in my journal with some advice. Hopefully theyll provide me with some insight as to what the hell is going on. Warmups were easy. Felt very warmed up too. Chest was feeling good. No stiffness or anything. Tried for 300, joke. 295, joke. 275 and I BARELY got 1.5 I mean this was such an incredible struggle. Dropped to 245 and got 3.5. I was beat. My chest wasnt even very tired - at least it didnt feel like it. Oh well. Looking forward to PowerManDL and chris mason's replies.

Dips:

+150 x 1.5 (!), +100 x 4.5

Well, this made my workout better! After some sh*tty sets of bench these dips really pumped my chest up like crazy. First set I did +150 for 1.5 reps. This was great, I mean I felt strong and everything. Really hit my chest hard with this first set. Put a 100 lbs. plate around my waist, along with two 25s. The weight on my hips just felt so friggin' heavy I wasnt sure if I was going to get this or not. After bench presses I was really doubting myself so I had to just get amped up and go for it. Dropped to +100 for 4.5. Both sets were excellent. Need to keep it up and I might get +180 by 2003. That would be NUTS.

Flat Dumbbell Flyes:

90 x 3.5 (!), 70 x 5

Some really good strength here in flyes. Felt very strong. ROM was good with the 90s actually, a lot better than I would have guessed. Good sets here. 3.5 reps was really good for the 90 lbs. f*cking DB. Dropped to the 70s and got 5 reps. Both sets were good, nice finishing for my pecs. They were pretty damn pumped up at this point in my workout so its all good. Next well Ill go much lighter, if I even keep flyes in my routine. Well see.

One-arm Dumbbell Side-laterals:

55 x 6, 55 x 5.5

Nice sets of side-laterals today. Really crushed my delts, completely. Form was excellent on these today. Probably better than it has been in weeks. Good delt contractions and damn my delts were looking good in the mirror. Nice striations and all that. Got 6 and 5.5 reps. If I ever make it up to 8/8 I am going to increase to a 60 lbs. DB. Not sure if that will happen anytime soon, however.

Standing Cable Pressdowns:

200 x 6, 200 x 5.5

Haha I was going to do skulls, but I just wanted to change things up a little bit to be honest. Wanted to give pressdowns a shot again just for variety to be honest. I knew that I wasnt going to failure on skulls so it really didnt matter what I did just something to stimulate my triceps a bit. Pressdowns got the job done! Stacked out the cable pressdowns with 200 lbs. Got 6 reps on my first set, not to failure. And then 5.5 reps for my 2nd. Triceps were burnt. Neither set was to failure, at all. Good sets too. I enjoy cable pressdowns a lot. Ill go back to my skulls and DB extensions next week but this was just good to change things up.

Standing One-arm Cable Pressdowns:

100 x 5

Nice finisher for my triceps. Used 100 lbs. for each arm. Got 5 reps with each arm which was good. Triceps were already hurting from the last 2 sets of pressdowns. Anyways pumped up my triceps good with pressdowns today. Both variations. Got some good contractions in my tris and some lactic acic buildup. Especially here in the one-arm pressdowns.

Training Length.
      Lasted 35 minutes today in the gym. Wasnt really busy, got in and got out for the most part as usual. Dont like my workouts more than 45 minutes.

Weight.
      First thing in the morning, without clothes, after using the restroom, I weighed 202.5 lbs. I have been this weight for the past 3 days now I believe. Oh well. I dont mind maintaining. I would much rather maintain than go up and down in weight all the time. That can get really really annoying. Because I dont know if I should increase or decrease my calorie intake.
    Last edited by MonStar; 09-18-2002 at 09:30 PM.

Ill be so discouraged if I dont.
    Here's problem #1 ... you missed the lift before you even got to the gym. If you go into a max attempt with any thoughts that you might fail, chances are you already did and won't have any chance of getting it.

About your bench, here's what I think. You burned out. Everytime you bench, you do heavy sets with low reps. Then you tried the 5x5 (which works best with little to no assistance work) and you did too much assistance work. I've been in the exact same situation and here's what I think you should try (take it FWIW) .....

1. Stop flat BB benching. Even though you think it offers the most chest simulation, stop. When I got stuck, I tried to alter the reps and lower the weights like some will tell you, and it didn't work. The only fix was getting away from the flat benching. When you're burned out, you're burned out.

2. Instead of flat benching, switch to incline presses, or even use DBs on the flat bench if you refuse to use the incline. Changing your type of press could be all you need.

3. Start doing close grip bench for your triceps and stop using the cable pressdowns. They may work for hypertrophy, but chances are they aren't doing jack for your bench. Even though you're going to tell me 'my triceps aren't a weak point because my skullcrushers are heavy,' they probably need more press type work. If you want a stronger press, get your triceps used to pressing. Close grip bench never fails.

Just some suggestions ... I'm sure others would tell you to stay with the flat bench and just alter your reps, but I'm telling you from my own experience, it may not work. Your body is sick of flat benching and it's telling you so. Listen to it.

HOWEVER, if you plan on sticking with the flat bench for whatever reason thinking it'll fix itself, you need to be more positive going into a big lift. Thinking 'even if I don't get it' will ruin your day. If you ever have that thought going after a max attempt, you might as well just forget the max and go for lighter weight and more reps that day, cause you've already been pinned.

It is my humble opinion that you were not nearly warmed up enough. chris will certainly tell you to drop your volume and PowerMan will surely come up with some well-worded answers, and in the end everyone will probably be right to a degree. However, if you tell me where the bar froze on your 300 attempt, I can maybe formulate an answer as well. If I don't stick with your warm-up being too small.

Don't worry about it, you made up for it with the dips.

Originally posted by Otter
    Here's problem #1 ... you missed the lift before you even got to the gym. If you go into a max attempt with any thoughts that you might fail, chances are you already did and won't have any chance of getting it.
    Yeah maybe youre right Otter. I didnt even think about this. I was hoping to get 300 x 1, but I really had no idea if I was going to or not. I guess I should have had my mind set on it more huh? Next time I go all out for a lift like this Ill try telling myself that I will get this no problem.

About your bench, here's what I think. You burned out. Everytime you bench, you do heavy sets with low reps. Then you tried the 5x5 (which works best with little to no assistance work) and you did too much assistance work. I've been in the exact same situation and here's what I think you should try (take it FWIW) .....
    Maybe I did burn out Otter. The reason that I dont think so is because I am alternating weeks of heavy and light chest. So I doubt my bench press strength was burnt out. Because honestly last week I went very very light in bench presses, this really made me look forward to this week's heavy session. Some how I might have just gotten too excited about it, or something. I dont know.

1. Stop flat BB benching. Even though you think it offers the most chest simulation, stop. When I got stuck, I tried to alter the reps and lower the weights like some will tell you, and it didn't work. The only fix was getting away from the flat benching. When you're burned out, you're burned out.
    Yeah man I was seriously considering this. I really cannot decide what I want to do yet. I mean I could just drop flat BB presses, and do dips and just flyes. But I dont know if I want to do that just yet. I hate to think that my bench press strength is truly in a rut, but maybe it is. I dont know if I am burned out or not. I stopped benching for years just because I liked DBs and dips, and I have honestly just recently gotten back into it.

2. Instead of flat benching, switch to incline presses, or even use DBs on the flat bench if you refuse to use the incline. Changing your type of press could be all you need.
    Yeah man that would be a good idea. The problem is that the DBs in my gym only go up to the 100s, which is a joke. I mean for flat DB presses I need at least 110s or 115s I think. Oh well. I might go ahead with incline BB presses. Probably in the power rack though to be honest because I cannot get a spotter at 7:00 AM, its all old women. Inclines might be what I need. I dont know what I want to do just yet.

3. Start doing close grip bench for your triceps and stop using the cable pressdowns. They may work for hypertrophy, but chances are they aren't doing jack for your bench. Even though you're going to tell me 'my triceps aren't a weak point because my skullcrushers are heavy,' they probably need more press type work. If you want a stronger press, get your triceps used to pressing. Close grip bench never fails.
    CG bench huh? That maybe a good idea actually. I think that I want to keep my skullcrushers in my routine because theyre just great at putting size on my triceps. I mean theyre probably the best thing that I have ever done.

Actually Otter keep in mind that the skulls that I do are honestly a mix between CG bench and skulls. I lower the bar to my neck / chin area. So the negative is similar to a skullcrusher but the positive is actually very close to a CG bench. Almost like California presses so to speak. If I add CG bench I would probably add a set after my skulls. Just to finish off my triceps.

Just some suggestions ... I'm sure others would tell you to stay with the flat bench and just alter your reps, but I'm telling you from my own experience, it may not work. Your body is sick of flat benching and it's telling you so. Listen to it.
    Good point Otter, very good point. I didnt even think of this. This may just be my body telling me straight up that flat benching isnt working for me. I mean flat bench has honestly never been all that great for my pecs. Its always seemed to hammer my front delts more than anything. Not sure why.

HOWEVER, if you plan on sticking with the flat bench for whatever reason thinking it'll fix itself, you need to be more positive going into a big lift. Thinking 'even if I don't get it' will ruin your day. If you ever have that thought going after a max attempt, you might as well just forget the max and go for lighter weight and more reps that day, cause you've already been pinned.
    Yeah I understand exactly what youre saying Otter about having a positive outlook. Thats always very important for achieving maximal strength I think. I was a little bit discouraged after bench but I went into my dips all out and set a new PB, +150 x 1.5. I was happy with that.