Page 51 of 59 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1472

Thread: MonStar's FINAL Journal

LOL.....yup, your journal has become our scratchpad.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Originally posted by PowerManDL
    Ok, how's this:

92% x3, 88% x5, 80% x7, 76% x8

On my squat, est. 345 max, that would be

315x3, 305x5, 275x7, 265x8

NL = 23 (total repetitions)
    Total Volume = 945 + 1525 + 1925 + 2120 = 6515
    Avg/Rel Intensity = 283 lbs/ 82%
    Intensity Breakdown:
    70%+ = 35% of lifts
    80%+ = 52% of lifts
    90%+ = 13% of lifts
    Okay okay okay Matt now I am understand more what youre saying. Thanks for putting into simpler terms, appreciate it.

92% x 3, 88% x 5, 80% x 7, 76% x 8

So this would be a good formula for gaining mass? Makes sense to me so far. Seems a LITTLE, just a little, high in volume for me, however. I mean 4 sets of squats is quite a lot if you ask me. Just my personal opinion I guess. I do completely understand what youre saying though about this. I am hoping that youll apply this kind of knowledge to your training, and see how it goes. If you act as a guinea pig---you might stumble upon an ideal training regimen. Seriously.

You should try applying this formula for hypertrophy to your chins or bench presses just to see how it works.

I want you to know that I'm working through all this as a thought experiment, to show what's actually going on here. You don't have to do this for every exercise; you can get a feel for the proper loading ranges by seeing how everything falls.

The idea is to maximize the load wrt number of reps with that load (or tension wrt to time, to bring it all together). What I outlined right above would be an excellent mass-builder using my squat as an example.
    I can understand what youre saying now. Trying to apply workload with relative intensity with tension, etc. Its starting to make more sense to me. Although it is very complex. Far more complex than your average trainee would delve into. Again I really think that you should serve as the guinea pig yourself with this type of hypertrophy formula---and see how it works for you.

Originally posted by chris mason
    Don't read much into my post Monstar, it was just thinking on paper. I really didn't come to a conclusion and I got tired of typing so I cut things short.
    LOL!

Thats always nice to hear chris. Anyway nah it was all useful info I think. I do understand what youre talking about though with a rep threshold and all that. I mean there has to be a certain # of total reps to stick to. I mean at least a rough generization. I dont know, obviously there is so much more to hypertrophy and strength training than meets the eye.

What do you think I've *been* doing, Mikey?

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

LOL.....yup, your journal has become our scratchpad.
    Haha it doesnt matter to me, I mean its honestly all good information in my opinion. Youre coming up with all sorts of formulas for hypertrophy while chris is discussing Dorian and Casey's rep range, etc. Definitely some useful info if you ask me.

What do you think I've *been* doing, Mikey?
    Well how has it been working out for you? Has that formula for hypertrophy that gave me working so far or nah? I cannot tell just yet how this rep range is working for me. I am doing extremely low-volume, as you know---with my first set in the 2-3 rep range and second in the 7-8 rep range. This has been chris mason's recommendation for as long as I can remember. I definitely think that I am going to get good results with this type of routine.

The only thing that I can think of that might go wrong is hitting a strength plateau. I mean doing maximal singles/doubles/triples week in and week out will eventually lead to a plateau if you ask me. I have been stuck at 290 x 1.5 on bench for 2 weeks now or something along those lines.

I haven't been doing that *exact* formula. That was just an example. There is no *exact* formula, really. I just keep the weights in a target zone, and according to the rough amount of reps I need to accomplish each week (depending on whether its an average, low, or high volume week).

.....which is what I was trying to say about it not being complicated.

(for the record, its working nicely so far)

I haven't been doing that *exact* formula. That was just an example. There is no *exact* formula, really. I just keep the weights in a target zone, and according to the rough amount of reps I need to accomplish each week (depending on whether its an average, low, or high volume week).

.....which is what I was trying to say about it not being complicated.

(for the record, its working nicely so far)
    Well as long as its working Matt, stick with it. Good luck with it too man---seems a bit too complicated for me. Hehe. I guess I am more into the simple things like this many reps per set, etc. I dont know, just a personal preference. I enjoy working out the way that I am now. Very low-volume, high-intensity, and a variety of reps. Seems to be working well also.

Nice posting guys, learned a lot!!
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Originally posted by ericg
    Nice posting guys, learned a lot!!
    Hehe yeah man sometimes my journal will turn into a discussion board. I dont mind it at all though like I said because most of the time its always good solid training information. Cant really complain about that!!

DAY 91 | 10-8-2002

GENERAL COMMENTS.
    Feel pretty good today I think. I have a LONG friggin' day today though. I start off with the gym which is always fun. But then I have two hours of psychology, followed by around two hours of math. Then I have two hours of work after that. So my day today is basically packed. I dont know what the problem is. My boss gets me to come in there for 2 friggin' hours! Thats just so damn dumb to me. Oh well.

PAIN/SORENESS.
    Not really all that sore today. Traps are a little bit sore I think. Delts are actually a little tiny bit sore I think. Nothing bad at all though. Anyways, DOMS really hasnt been much at all the past few weeks I dont think. I guess because of the low-volume I dont know. Delts are KILLING me!

DIET/SUPPLEMENTS.
    • Preworkout: 1 banana, 1/2 nectarine, multi-vitamin/mineral, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E, 5cc Liquid Clenbutrx
      During Workout: 20 oz. Gatorade + 5g creatine + 5g glutamine + 1/2 tsp. salt
      Postworkout: 1/2 serving Cell-Tech + 500 mg. ALA, 1 serving whey protein
      Meal 4: 2 Taco Bell supreme beef gorditas, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E
      Meal 5: potato skin chips
      Meal 6: 1 King Size Butterfinger bar
      Meal 7: honey-glazed beef fried rice, fruit ice-cream
      Meal 8: 1 Burger King 5-piece chicken tender, 1 Burger King hershey pie

Estimated Calories: ~3200

Good amount of food today I think. Not too bad actually. I mean not great of course---but better than I thought. Need to get around this much every training day.

TRAINING. QUADS, HAMSTRINGS, CALVES.
    • Squats (deep):

135 x 6, 225 x 3, 315 x 2, 405 x 2.5 (!), 295 x 7

WOW some hard a*s sets of squats today. Crushed my lower body completely---ow. Started off with some easy warmups, did 135 for 6, 225 for a triple, and 315 for a double. Nice and slow just getting the blood flowing. Jumped to 405 lbs. Got 2.5 reps with 405. Very nice depth on this set. First 2 reps were a B*TCH. I mean they hurt like crazy, 405 deep is a killer. Breathing was GREAT. After reading Keys To Progress I decided to incorporate some heavy breathing between reps just to see how it felt and damn it really makes my sternum ache. Almost my lungs, a feeling that I am not used to thats for sure. Anyway dropped to 295 for 7. Nice set here too. Breathed hard on this set as well. Lots of deep breathing. Both sets were good. Going to stick with these weights next week. I am not ready to go above 405 yet at all. 405 is killing me.

Good Mornings:

300 x 3 (!), 215 x 7

Some good hard sets of GMs today. Really like this exercise for hitting up my lower back and hamstrings. Gets the job done nicely. Started off with 300 lbs. for a triple! New PB! I was happy about my strength here. I am only 15 lbs. away from my goal for 2003. I am not going to increase though just yet. I dont feel strong enough at all with 300. My legs are bending a bit too much at the bottom of every rep. Nice hard set none the less. Lower back was destroyed from these 2 sets. Dropped to 215 for 7. Good set here. Really got some good stress in my hamstrings and lower back. Sticking with the both of these weights next week no matter what.

Standing Smith-machine Calf Raises:

SKIPPED! Some ol' f*ck was taking up the Smith-machine.

Seated Calf Raises:

180 x 20, 180 x 16, 180 x 16

Nice sets here today!! I think that I am just going to do these exclusively for a while and see how my calves respond. They were on FIRE from 3 sets of seated calf raises today. I mean far more exausted than they are from Smith-machine calf raises. Good sets. Started off with 180 for 20. Calves were fresh for this so I got a bit more reps. Good sets overall.

TRAINING LENGTH: 20 minutes
    SLEEP: 7 hours
    WEIGHT: 201 lbs.

MISCELLANEOUS.
    Working was short and sweet today, damn. Really got in the gym and got the hell out. Slept around 7 hours last night, I feel pretty good today though I am not drowsy or anything like that. I think thats the minimum for me, actually. Weighed in at 201 lbs. this morning. Good weight I think. Trying to stay around ~200 lbs.
    Last edited by MonStar; 10-10-2002 at 09:09 AM.

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Good lifting. Ever think of warming up heavier or longer so that 405 isn't such a shock to your system on squats? Maybe another set of 2 or 3 with 360ish? Something to drop that gap from 90 pounds.

Originally posted by Saturday Fever
    Good lifting. Ever think of warming up heavier or longer so that 405 isn't such a shock to your system on squats? Maybe another set of 2 or 3 with 360ish? Something to drop that gap from 90 pounds.
    Not really SF---I really dont have much reason to. I feel good with jumping from 315 to 405. I mean its not really a problem at all. I never feel like I am not warmed up enough. Not being warmed up is only a problem if I dont do any warmup sets.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    what's clenbutrx?

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    An ephedrine-based product, more or less. Speaking of that, you've been using that for a while, MonStar, maybe it's time you took a break from it. Your heart is probably sick of working overtime, and the word addiction comes to mind. After the initial down week, you'll probably feel better for it. And you can always cycle back on.
    Last edited by Saturday Fever; 10-08-2002 at 12:39 PM.

Originally posted by Accipiter
    what's clenbutrx?
    Liquid Clenbutrx is actually a product by VPX Sports. Its a very very very good preworkout stimulant. I dont take it any other time mainly because it tastes like dog sh*t. I mean it honestly tastes like cinnamon a*shole---without any exaggeration at all. Anyways sh*t works great for amping me up in the morning and its an ephedrine/caffeine/yohimbe type supplement. Great overall supplement I think. Quite expensive though, but I recommend it 100%.

Just how do you know what cinnamon asshole tastes like with such surety?

Originally posted by Saturday Fever
    An ephedrine-based product, more or less. Speaking of that, you've been using that for a while, MonStar, maybe it's time you took a break from it. Your heart is probably sick of working overtime, and the word addiction comes to mind. After the initial down week, you'll probably feel better for it. And you can always cycle back on.
    Yeah I dont know SF I am thinking about cycling off of it---I just cant decide what to do. So far its what is making my workouts even halfway decent first thing in the morning. Early in the morning I am so damn tired I am surprised that my strenght goes up at all. I am sure that it wouldnt without the intensity that Liquid Clenbutrx brings to my training sessions, seriously.

Just how do you know what cinnamon asshole tastes like with such surety?
    LOL---almost like cinnamon dirt if thats any better. I mean its seriously some of the worst tasting sh*t in the world. And you have to keep it in your mouth for 2 minutes until you swallow it. Probably the worst possible thing to do in the world, seriously. I cannot deal with that sh*t.

DAY 92 | 10-9-2002

GENERAL COMMENTS.
    Feel pretty good today I think. Today I have English---the class that I HATE. The teacher is such a motherf*cking fag. Oh well, Ill live. Afterwards I have to drop off my Accord at the Honda service place to see whats burning up all my gas. I should be getting around 30 MPG and instead I am averaging around 20. Little bit odd if you ask me.

PAIN/SORENESS.
    Feel a little sore today actually. Glutes and quads are both sore, etc. I feel pretty sore all over. Delts are hurting today. Especially my side delts when I raise my arms out to the side, ow. Traps are a little sore too. I am sure that Ill be fine though for my chest and triceps session tomorrow morning.

DIET/SUPPLEMENTS.
    • Meal 1: Metrx MRP + 1% milk + 1 banana, multi-vitamin/mineral, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E, 1 Vasopro, 1 Xenadrine EFX
      Meal 2: 2 Taco Bell supreme beef gorditas, 1 Burger King hershey pie, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E
      Meal 3: organic cappucino drink
      Meal 4: 1 Luna bar
      Meal 5: organic chicken noodles, multi-vitamin/mineral, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E, 1 Vasopro, 1 Xenadrine EFX
      Meal 6: 1 Wendy's 5-piece chicken tender, 1 Wendy's small frosty
      Meal 7: 1 Butterfinger bar

Estimated Calories: ~3100

Good amount of food today I think. Not too bad actually. I mean not great of course---but better than I thought. Need to get around this much every training day.

TRAINING. REST.
    • N/A.

TRAINING LENGTH: N/A.
    SLEEP: 7 hours
    WEIGHT: 199 lbs.

MISCELLANEOUS.
    Slept damn well except I woke up because of my little sister. Jeez, I hate when people wake me up. Oh well. Hopefully since its a rest day it really wont effect anything. I didnt expect to go under 200 lbs. for any reason. I am thinking about maybe starting to eat a little bit more. I cant decide just yet what I want to do actually. I dont want to get fat, thats for sure.
    Last edited by MonStar; 10-10-2002 at 09:08 AM.

Originally posted by MonStar
    • -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Feel a little sore today actually. Glutes and quads are both sore, etc. I feel pretty sore all over. Delts are hurting today. Especially my side delts when I raise my arms out to the side, ow. Traps are a little sore too. I am sure that Ill be fine though for my chest and triceps session tomorrow morning.
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well yeah...with a 405 squat, I'd be sore too. Nice job, btw.

Now, a point of contention. If your English prof. is a motherf*cker, then he can't really be a fag. Perhaps he's more of an incestuous motherf*cking prick, or even a sexually confused motherf*cker. Just a thought. *lol*
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

*steals back the crack from ectx*

*pulls out secret stash...takes hit*
    Neener Neener.

and, ermm, sorry about the spam MonStar...just couldn't resist.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Originally posted by ectx
    Well yeah...with a 405 squat, I'd be sore too. Nice job, btw.
    Yeah I guess thats true ectx. Hehe. I dont know though man my body gets used to the heavy weights or something because I am rarely getting sore anymore. I am not sure why. Kind of strange actually if you ask me.

Now, a point of contention. If your English prof. is a motherf*cker, then he can't really be a fag. Perhaps he's more of an incestuous motherf*cking prick, or even a sexually confused motherf*cker. Just a thought. *lol*
    Haha. I dont know man, I just dont like the guy. I dont know what the hell to call him. Hes an old man so I really shouldnt say anything back about him but I cannot stand him. He tries to be real funny and sh*t and if you dont laugh hes like "whats your problem?" Bla bla bla. I dont know I just feel like I am back in highschool.

Originally posted by Just some girl
    *steals back the crack from ectx*
    Um... okay.

Originally posted by ectx
    *pulls out secret stash...takes hit*
    Neener Neener.

and, ermm, sorry about the spam MonStar...just couldn't resist.
    Haha its all good man---even though I am totally lost. I usually like to keep my journal all bodybuilding related posts but I really dont care, lol.