Page 52 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 1472

Thread: MonStar's FINAL Journal

DAY 93 | 10-10-2002

General Comments.
    I have a big friggin' day today in the gym. I set up my weights for this working last night. I am going to get friggin' PISSED OFF today at the gym---I have to. I am shooting for a 295 lbs. bench, a +180 lbs. dip, and a 250 lbs. CG bench. If I get at least a single with all of these I am going to keep them at this weight until I get a double. I just gotta get mad and get my intensity up. Those are some friggin' impressive poundages if you ask me.

Changed up my journal layout a bit. Trying to make things a little more compact and not so friggin' drawn out and everything like that. I am hoping that all of my readers find it easier to read. Please make suggestions.

Pain/Soreness.
    Feel pretty damn good today I think. Some mild muscular soreness in my traps and side delts a little. Nothing major at all. Overall I feel good. Glutes are still sore, along with my lower back. But in general I feel fine. Looking forward to a great workout.

Diet/Supplements.
    • Preworkout: 1 banana, whole-fruit ice-cream, multi-vitamin/mineral, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E, 5cc Liquid Clenbutrx
      During Workout: 20 oz. Gatorade + 5g creatine + 5g glutamine + 1/2 tsp. salt
      Postworkout: 1/2 serving Cell-Tech + 500 mg. ALA, 1 serving whey protein
      Meal 4: 2 Taco Bell supreme beef gorditas, 1 Taco Bell strawberry cream cheese pie, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E
      Meal 5: 1 Cinnabun, multi-vitamin/mineral, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E, 1 Vasopro, 1 Xenadrine EFX
      Meal 6: 1 Burger King 5-piece chicken tender, 1 Burger King onion ring
      Meal 7: 1 Butterfinger bar

Estimated Calories: ~3000

Training. Chest, Triceps.
    • Flat Barbell Presses:

135 x 6, 185 x 3, 225 x 2, 295 x 2 (assist), 235 x 5

GREAT sets of flat BB presses today. Not the strength that I was exactly hoping for but not bad either. I wasnt dissapointed at all---not even a little bit. Started off with my warmups, fairly easy. 135 for 6, 185 for a triple, and 225 for a double. Nice and slow just getting the blood flowing. Strength felt good on these warmups. Really good, actually. Kept my elbows under the bar, etc. Upped to 295 lbs. Never gone up this high before. Well I have but I have never achieved a rep. Got 2 reps, both assisted. My spotter is a guy who works at the YMCA. Great spotter, he always does EXACTLY what I tell him which is nice because most guys who spot me never listen. Gave me a liftoff which helped out some. He said my first rep was just fingertrip assistance, not much help at all. The second rep I could tell I need big time help on, but he didnt give me too much at all. Made me do the weight myself instead of just grabbing the bar and pulling it up. Anyways, good set. I am going to shoot for 295 next week and see if I can get a single on my own. Dropped to 235 for 5. Good set here. Crushed my pecs. Didnt have a spotter for this set. Probably could have gotten 6-7 if I had a spotter but I want to stay shy of failure. Good sets.

Dips:

+180 x 1 (!), +90 x 6

WOW! This is what the f*ck I am talking about!! I need to have this kind of strength all the time. Hehe. I was proud of myself today at the gym, for the first time in a long time. Seriously. Strapped four, yes you read that right, FOUR 45s around my waist. I was so happy. I am not going to bullsh*t though---it killed me. That one rep was friggin' impossible. Started the rep off nice and slow. Went down nice and deep and felt that deep stretch in my pecs, and then came the postiive part of the rep. I hit 3-4 sticking points on the way up. First right after I got out of rock bottom I felt good. Then hit a sticking point. Breathed through it. Then came up a little more and was stuck again. Pushed as HARD as I possibly could and got through that one. Finally I got up to about an inch up from lockout and pushed, and pushed, and pushed, and breathed, and breathed, and breathed---and locked out. I basically fell off the dip bars after this set, lol. I was going to try and go back down nice and slow for a 1/2 rep but instead my chest and arms just gave out---no joke. Luckily I caught my balance. Which is no easy task when your feet are supporting 380 lbs. Anyway, good set. That single rep was probably 6-8 seconds. Anyway dropped to +90 lbs. Got 6 reps here, good strength. Nice deep aching stretch in my pecs from this set. Going to keep both weights for next week.

Close-grip Barbell Presses:

250 x 1 (!) + 1 (assist), 185 x 7

Good strength here. Got the same spotter that I did for the bench presses. He is one helluva' spotter Ill tell ya. Started off with 250 lbs. Got a single rep by myself somehow, I dont know how. Elbows were right up against my sides, locked out hard. My hands were around 10-12" apart I would say. I have my index fingers where the smooth part of the BB is, in the center of a standard barbell. Anyways, good set. Got 1 rep alone like I was saying---and the 2nd rep was assisted. Good set though. He helped me go the majority of the rep up for the 2nd rep but let go a few inches before lockout so I could lockout with my 2nd rep. Anyways, dropped to 185 lbs. for 7. Good set here. Crushed my triceps completely. Nice sets.

Lying Cambered-bar Extensions:

115 x 6

Wow a good set of skulls today. Got 6 reps which is up a rep from last week. I am happy. I was getting kind of weak in skulls which isnt a good sign at all. At this point my triceps are just friggin' on fire. I mean theyre pumped up and all but theyre just dead. Got 6 reps with 115. Going to keep this weight until I get 10 reps. Which I doubt will happen in the next few months.

Training Length: 20 minutes
    Sleep: 7.5 hours
    Weight: 200 lbs.

Miscellaneous.
    Workout was short and sweet. I think I did a good job on the dips today, I just wish I could chin that much! Good amount of sleep last night I think. Slept well too, which is something that I do pretty regularly luckily. Weight was also good---200 lbs. even. I am kind of happy that I am doing down a few lbs. in weight I think. Midsection is looking damn good in the mirror, and my chins and dips are getting a little easier.
    Last edited by MonStar; 10-15-2002 at 05:58 AM.

I like the new layout. Simple, yet easy to read.

Very impressive lifts today! Your dip strength is awesome! Keep up the good work!

dip strength is getting crazy dude, sounds like an ace workout

Originally posted by MonStar
    Made me do the weight myself instead of just grabbing the bar and pulling it up
    this is how i will spot someone, i was spotting a buddy of mine once and the last rep he was straining so damn hard, anyway i wanted to make him work right till the end but he just totally freaked out and was like GET IT OFF ME GET IT OFF ME
    'you cant avoid confrontation in life. it just makes things more trouble down the road. sometimes you have to look at the bull and say "f--k you bull" and grab that bull by the horns'

-Shane

Originally posted by TMan
    I like the new layout. Simple, yet easy to read.
    Thanks a lot TMan, appreciate the comments about my new layout. I wasnt sure what you guys were going to think. Yeah my goal is to make it very easy for my readers to view. I mean easy to see my training and diet and all that without searching through all these different sections. One for comments, one for sleep, etc. Ya know?

Very impressive lifts today! Your dip strength is awesome! Keep up the good work!
    Thanks a lot man.

Yeah I gotta tell ya man that +180 was a friggin' KILLER. It honestly did not feel extremely heavy. I mean it felt heavy, but nothing like impossible but it that way. Getting on the dip bars was quite a different story. Killed the palms of my hands, etc. I was proud of myself though, even though it was only one rep.

Originally posted by McBain
    dip strength is getting crazy dude, sounds like an ace workout
    Hey thanks a lot MB, apprecaite it man. Yeah I am trying to be sure to stay injury free as I get stronger. Thats one thing that that is really starting to get to me about strength training. I enjoy it---mainly because it makes regular bodybuilding more fun. I mean training just for pump and muscle growth is nice, but when youre putting more and more weight on the bar its great.

this is how i will spot someone, i was spotting a buddy of mine once and the last rep he was straining so damn hard, anyway i wanted to make him work right till the end but he just totally freaked out and was like GET IT OFF ME GET IT OFF ME
    Yeah some people are friggin' fags, just ignore them. Some guys will ask me for a spot and Ill give them fingertip assistance with some encouraging words like "you got it, you got it." And they dont mind. But if I give them fingertip assistance and act like a d*ck about it they usually think I am just an a*shole.

Originally posted by MonStar

Dips:

+180 x 1 (!), +90 x 6

[/B]
    nice work Mike...I can only aspire to be there someday. I just got 2 plates for 5 reps the other day.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Originally posted by NateDogg
    nice work Mike...I can only aspire to be there someday. I just got 2 plates for 5 reps the other day.
    Thanks a lot ND---appreciate the support. Yeah 4 plates was pretty damn insane. I loaded the plates around my waist a little bit differently. I put the weight belt on first and then dipped down and wrapped the chain through the plates. I usually have the belt and chain set up and try to pull the belt on, not too smart when I am using +180 lbs. Obviously pretty friggin' dumb.
    Last edited by MonStar; 10-10-2002 at 05:49 PM.

Hey Mike -

I like the new format, much quicker to read.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Originally posted by ericg
    Hey Mike -

I like the new format, much quicker to read.
    Thanks a lot ericg, appreciate it man. Yeah I like the new format too. The last format just have too many ----- and sh*t like that. Too many different categories too. Sleep and weight and all this other stuff took up an entire paragraph. Now everything is nice and condensed and easy to read.

This is probably a dumb question, but how do you indent? I looked through the vbcode and found nothing.

Originally posted by galileo
    This is probably a dumb question, but how do you indent? I looked through the vbcode and found nothing.
    Haha good question man. I never really talked about the way my journal looks and I noticed only a few people do indent. Its actually called a "List"---there is a button for it. For example if I want indent the following I will do this..

(list)Diet/Supplements.(/list)

The (-) are [-] of course. Hehe, looks pretty good I think.
    Last edited by MonStar; 10-11-2002 at 06:53 AM.

DAY 94 | 10-11-2002

General Comments.
    Feel good today I guess. I have OFF work today! I am happy. I get class with my cutie pie love Brittany---and then I get to babysit her brother and sisters whom I like a lot. Anyways looking forward to a good back session this morning. I am really hoping for some new PBs. My back and biceps session last week really wasnt all that. So I hope to change that a little bit today. I am shooting for chins with +105 lbs., rows with 290 lbs., and probably hit up some curls with 160 lbs. I think.

Hehe---made everything nice and big now. All of my titles are large for everyone to read with ease.

Pain/Soreness.
    Wow I am aching today! Thats a good thing though simply because I havnt been getting sore lately and its something I enjoy. Its all mental for some reason. If I had a good workout and some great DOMS the next do I think that I am setting myself up for growth. Haha, dont ask me why. I dont know that DOMS doesnt have much, if anything, to do with actual hypertrophy. Pecs and triceps are killing me, and my lower back is a little stiff.

Diet/Supplements.
    • Preworkout: 1/2 banana, orange juice, multi-vitamin/mineral, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E, 5cc Liquid Clenbutrx
      During Workout: 20 oz. Gatorade + 5g creatine + 5g glutamine + 1/2 tsp. salt
      Postworkout: 1/2 serving Cell-Tech + 500 mg. ALA, 1 serving whey protein
      Meal 4: 3 Taco Bell supreme beef gorditas, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E
      Meal 5: 1 Burger King hershey pie
      Meal 6: 1 McDonald's 4-piece chicken nugget, multi-vitamin/mineral, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E, 1 Vasopro, 1 Xenadrine EFX
      Meal 7: choclate chip cookie dough
      Meal 8: candy, 6 slices Domino's pizza, soda

Estimated Calories: ~5000 tuttuttuttut

Training. Back, Biceps.
    • Wide-grip Underhand Chins:

-40 x 6, -20 x 3, BW x 2, +105 x 1.5 (!), +35 x 5.5

Some GREAT sets of chins today. I was happy with my strength here in chins. Really crushed my lats completely with all of my sets. Started off with 3 easy warmups sets, just to get the blood flowing. Good sets. -40 for 6, -20 for a triple, and BW for a double. Nice and slow just going through the motions for the most part. Anyways jumped up to my heavy set. +105 lbs. for 1.5 reps. Nice set!! Good negative. Positive was tough but not impossible. Slowed down the negative a lot and went up for a 2nd rep. Got about 1/2 way up and paused for a good 3-5 seconds. Nice long pause there really contracting my lats hard. Good set. Going to stick with +105 next week and see if I can get a double with this weight. That would be impressive. Dropped to +35 for 5.5 reps. Lats were exausted. Some good sets though, nice hard lat contractions.

Supported Underhand Rows:

290 x 1.5 (!), 210 x 7.5

Good set of support rows today. Really hit my lats and midback very very hard. Started off with 290 lbs. New PB! I was happy about this. Even with only 1.5 reps I can get one helluva a back contraction. 290 lbs. felt EXTREMELY heavy when I took it off the rack. Got a single and then went all out for a double. Didnt achieve a double at all. Only got 1/2 way up. Good pause and hard contraction in my lats. Arched my back and really squeezed the f*ck outta my lats. I have a feeling theyre going to be sore tomorrow. Going to keep 290 next week and see if I can get a double---well see. Dropped to 210 lbs. which is four 45s. Got 7.5 reps with this weight. Really contracted my back hard with this set. After this set Ill have to say my lats were pumped up. Stretched them out all between my sets so they were nice and pliable, and pumped.

Standing Barbell Curls:

160 x 1 (!), 105 x 7

New PB for BB curls today!! I was happy with my strength here. Bit of body English Ill be the first to admit that, but didnt take away from my biceps contractions at all. Got a single with 160 lbs. I am 5 lbs. and 1 rep away from my goal for 2003. I am not sure why but for some strange reason I feel like I am not going to get my goal for a month or so. Even though I am very close my biceps are just DEAD after a single rep. I can never get that double, dont ask me why. Dropped to 105 lbs. for 7 reps. Really contracted my biceps hard in this set. Nice form on the 2nd set---no body English at all. Good ROM etc. Used a wide grip, outside shoulder-width. Nice feeling of exaustion in my biceps.

Incline Alternating Dumbbell Hammer Curls:

40 x 6

Good set of hammers today!! Great way to finish off my workout. I am up from the 35s last week. Kept similar reps. Got 6 reps which was good. Going to keep this weight until I get 10 reps. Hehe. Well see if that ever happens. After those damn BB curls my biceps are friggin' exausted. Really got a good set here though. Arms were pumped as f*ck after this.

Training Length: 25 minutes
    Sleep: 7 hours
    Weight: 200.5 lbs.

Miscellaneous.
    Workout lasted 25 minutes, nice and brief. Good intensity and all that. Slept well last night I think---this is the kind of thing that is mandatory for consistent gains in the gym. With college and work and whatnot its tough to get a good solid amount of sleep on a consistent basis. Anyways really been hovering arouind ~200 lbs. even. I guess thats a good thing I dont know. My midsection doesnt look horrible first thing in the morning, which is nice.
    Last edited by MonStar; 10-15-2002 at 06:00 AM.

Ahhh! I've used list, but I always used =1 or =A. I didn't think about using it without a parameter.

Ahhh! I've used list, but I always used =1 or =A. I didn't think about using it without a parameter.
    I know haha I dont know how the hell I stumbled upon that little feature. Kinda funny actually. It just indents things or whatever which makes them a bit easier to read if you ask me. With my old format I was indenting every single section. Now I am indenting the sections that people are most likely to read---the diet and training sections of my journal entries.

It amazes me how your 1 rep maxes are so much higher than what you can do your sets with. I do sets of chins with +35lbs and I can struggle up +60lbs for one.

It amazes me how your 1 rep maxes are so much higher than what you can do your sets with. I do sets of chins with +35lbs and I can struggle up +60lbs for one.
    Somehow with dips its the same way. I did +180 for a single, but after that maximal set I am just dead or something because I take 1/2 that weight---+90, and do like 5-6 reps. But then again galileo keep in mind a few things:

- first of all its after a maximal set to failure---which is exausting
    - second of all my 2nd workset is shy of failure by 1-3 reps, in other words I could probably get +35 for 7-8 reps not just 5 reps---something else to keep in mind

So I dont know, it all evens out I think.
    Last edited by MonStar; 10-11-2002 at 07:23 AM.

I took the fatigue into consideration as I looked it over, but it's still pretty impressive. I'm up to +100lbs with dips. After I've been training a year I hope to be able to push that up to 135. I think it's a noble goal for the next 10 months [If I ever stop friggen cutting].

I took the fatigue into consideration as I looked it over, but it's still pretty impressive. I'm up to +100lbs with dips. After I've been training a year I hope to be able to push that up to 135. I think it's a noble goal for the next 10 months [If I ever stop friggen cutting].
    Yeah I just wanted to add that to make sure that there was no confusion about my 2nd workset. It seems that more often than not people assume that all of my sets are taken to failure---which is not a safe assumption at all. Well it is a safe assumption with my first workset because thats always a maximal set. However, my next workset is always shy of failure. Mainly to prevent excess CNS stimulation. Thats why there is usually such a large gap between my two poundages. For example for squats Ill do 405 for a maximal set and then drop around 110 lbs.---to 295 lbs. for my next workset.

Good luck getting to +135 man.

I was looking for an inspirational picture of a lat spread and came across Skip LaCour's lat spread.

DAMN now this guy has some lats!! Jesus. He claims to be a natural too which is obviously a total crock of bullsh*t if you ask me. The guy has to be 'roided up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Haha thats got to be roids, i can't understand why they claim to be natural, when obviously not.

The proof will be in the pudding when he's in his 50s

Nice back work especially the rows
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

Haha thats got to be roids, i can't understand why they claim to be natural, when obviously not.

and for the previous workout. the new layout works a treat to, nice.

BR
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

Originally posted by Big-Ron
    Yeah I know isnt that the truth? The guy is obviously on 'roids its not a question. He does have some great lats though---damn. I wish my back looked like that. Yeah I dont understand why they claim to be natural either, seems so stupid to me. They think that no one can tell that theyre pumped as f*ck with 'roids.

Thanks a lot man. Yeah my back session went good today I think. Up 5 lbs. in chins for the same reps, up 5 lbs. in rows for the same reps, up 5 lbs. in BB curls and down a half-rep. Its all good though. I am around 10 lbs. and a 1/2 rep away from goal for 2003 in support rows, and 5 lbs. and 1 rep away from my goal for 2003 in BB curls. Unfortunately I am 30 lbs. and a 1/2 rep away from my goal for 2003 in chins.

and for the previous workout. the new layout works a treat to, nice.
    Thanks a lot BR, appreciate the comments about my layout. Yeah I made everything more compact and enlarged the sizes a bit. Hehe trying to change things up a little and just make it all around easier for my readers to view.
    Last edited by MonStar; 10-11-2002 at 01:47 PM.

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    I'm going to steal some formatting from your journal when I start my next journal after next week. Or maybe not your formatting as much as your ideas.

Originally posted by Saturday Fever
    I'm going to steal some formatting from your journal when I start my next journal after next week. Or maybe not your formatting as much as your ideas.
    Oh okay SF its all good take whatever you want. It would be wierd if your journal looked JUST like mine but ideas and sh*T I couldnt care less about. I think you should keep a detailed journal with your meals and all that in it. I am wondering SF do you know yet what youre going to do? Westside? A bodybuilding split? I have been waiting to see what youre going to come up with. I am sure youre going to apply a lot of the powerlifting principles.

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    It will still be a powerlifting split, and structured in a Westside style. The routine I've been doing was a sample routine provided by Westside. The version I'm going to start using will just be slightly altered. I'm going to concentrate less on the sample routine I was given, and more on drawing up weaknesses. Next year I want to add at least 70 pounds to each of the 3 major lifts, so I'm going to have to busting serious ass.

I will also start including bits about sleep and diet. My goals for next year will be to get huge. I don't mean bodybuilding huge, per se, but I don't want to just get fat either. I'm hoping to get my weight up in the 230-240 range. I need to thicken myself in the middle so I have a larger base to push from when doing squats and deads. I also want to add mass to my triceps and upper back so I can power up my bench. Lots of goals, all to be told and described when this 9 week experiment is done.
    Last edited by Saturday Fever; 10-11-2002 at 02:03 PM.