The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 949575859
Results 1,451 to 1,472 of 1472

• GENERAL COMMENTS
      Feel okay today I think, I dont know. Thinking a lot about my life and what I want to do with it and everything like that. Trying hard to just simply stay HAPPY. Not getting stressed out, not doing anything that I dont want to do, etc. I am the only one thats in control of my life---no one else. I need to just get my life in order and keep it that way. Thats the bottom line. Especially with school. I feel like once school slips, I start to let other things in my life slip. Which isnt a good idea at all. I work today from 2-7 which isnt going to be bad at all, because I enjoy work.
    • PAIN/SORENESS
      Not sore today at all. If anything, I feel good. Body feels good. Not going to worry much about feeling fat because thats just depressing. Just going to focus on building my body. Not building my body and worrying about minor fat-gain. I am not going to be a blimp of course but I am not on 'roids so I cant expect 100% fat-free muscle gain.
    • DIET/SUPPLEMENTS
      Preworkout: orange juice, multi-vitamin/mineral, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E, 5cc Liquid Clenbutrx
      During Workout: 20 oz. Gatorade + 5g creatine + 5g glutamine + 1/2 tsp. salt
      Postworkout: 1/2 serving Cell-Tech, 500 mg. ALA, 1 serving whey protein
      Meal 4: energy bar, lemonade sprizter, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E
      Meal 5: cheese + crackers
      Meal 6: soy protein bar, multi-vitamin/mineral, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E, 2 Xenadrine RFA-1
      Meal 7: coconut macaroon, lemonade spritzer
      Meal 8: 2 choclate-chip waffles, 2% milk + ovaltine
      Meal 9: macaroni & cheese, lemonade
      Meal 10: 1 McDonald's fruit & yogurt parfait, 1 McDonald's apple pie

Estimated Calories: ~3500
    • TRAINING---BACK, TRAPS, BICEPS
      Wide-grip Overhand Behind-neck Chins:
      BWx9!+2 (negatives), BWx5.5
      Some damn hard sets of BTN chins today. GOOD sets though, I was really impressed with my strength on the first set to be honest. Managed to chin 9 reps BTN which is a new PB for me. Then afterwards I did the positive portion of two reps and did a nice slow negative. Really feeling the movement in my lats. Contracted my lats extremely hard. Right under my armpits. Dropped down to my BW for 5.5 reps. Lats were shot. Really contracted my lats hard with the both of these sets. I was happy. Going to obviously keep my BW for next week, see what happens.

Bentover Overhand Barbell Rows:
      225x6!, 205x8
      Some damn good sets of bentover BB rows. I can honestly admit to never doing these before. I used to do tons of Yates style rows with an underhand grip on a cambered-bar. But when it comes to overhand BB rows to the waist, I have never done them. Really like them. Contracted my lats hard. Started off with 225x6. Good set here, obviously a PB since I have never done them before. Going to most likely shoot for 230x6 next back day. See how I handle that. I hope to get up near 300 lbs. maybe in the next 3-4 months. I dont know, well see what happens. Dropped down to 205x8 which was a good set also. Contracted my lats hard here. Damn good set. Probably going to shoot for 210 next back day.

Seated V-bar Cable Rows:
      230x5.5!, 200x7.5
      Two damn hard sets of v-bar cable rows today. Crushed my midback and lats. I have always liked these things, ever since I can remember. Still really enjoy them. Arch my back and just pull the v-bar straight to my lower-abdomen. Good sets. Started off with 230x5.5 which was a new PB for me. Lots o' new PBs today. Hard sets. Dropped down to 200x7.5, which was also good. At this point my lats were just destroyed. Damn good pump in my lats though.

Crossbench Dumbbell Pullovers:
      75x6!
      Wow, another PB! I dont even know why I tried for a 75 lbs. DB on these. Well last time I did them I used a 60x12 and that wasnt too bad so I just jumped up a bit. I hope to get up to a 100 lbs. DB for these in the future. Feel them a lot in my serratus, lats, and sternum. Great exercise though. Hit my lats hard and a really good finishing movement I think. I was impressed. Going to shoot for an 80 lbs. DB next week.

Dumbbell Shrugs:
      100x8, 100x7
      Good sets of shrugs today I think, I dont know. Nothing thrilling here. Hit my traps hard with some good contractions in that area. Traps seemed to already be hit hard from the rows and all that but this was basically just a way to make sure they were fried. Good sets here. Nice stretch in my traps at the bottom of each rep which was good.

Seated Bentover Dumbbell Laterals:
      30x9, 25x10
      Good sets of bentover laterals today. Basically did these for my rear delts and my mid-trap area. Seemed to hit both well. Going to stick with 25s for both sets. 30s were a little bit too heavy unfortunately. Good sets though. I cant decide if these are worth it to do or not. Because I know that my rear delts and middle-traps get hit with bentover rows, etc.

Incline Alternating Dumbbell Curls:
      35x8, 35x7
      Good hard sets of incline curls today for my biceps. Really destroyed my arms completely. Not that this means anything, but this is just about the only exercise that produces noticeable DOMS in my biceps. I dont know why but BB curls dont make my arms sore at all. Anyways I really like these, theyre probably the exercise that I find best for my biceps. Going to hang onto this one! Got 8 and 7 reps with each set. Good sets. Biceps were beat.

One-arm Dumbbell Zottman Preacher Curls:
      25x8/8
      Wow, awesome exercise!! I have never done these before and who the hell knows why I decided to give them a shot. Just something to hit my brachialis more or less and decided to go with them. I read about them years ago and thought eh' what the hell! Those of you who are confused about this exercise its simply a one-arm DB preacher curl, with the negative portion of each rep with your hand facing the floor. So you curl the DB up palms to the ceiling, then twist your wrist at the top, and lower the DB with your palms facing the floor. Good exercise if you ask me. Got 8 reps with each arm. Nice SLOW set which was damn hard on my arms.

Standing Rope Hammer Cable Curls:
      150x8!
      LOL! I got some stares from this exercise. I didnt expect to be able to go this heavy, damn. I have done rope curls around 2-3 years ago and I always liked them, so I gave them a shot today. Started off with 100 lbs. and it felt pretty light so I went heavier. Jumped to 150 lbs. and the stack is only 200 lbs. Everyone that was in the gym thought it was some kinda freak show. LOL. Form was honestly flawless though. Elbows tight against my sides, nice full ROM, etc. Slow set too. Brachialis and brachioradialis and forearms were so godd*mn pumped afterwards it was insane. Great exercise here.
    • TRAINING LENGTH
      35 minutes
    • SLEEP
      9 hours
    • WEIGHT
      207 lbs. (home)---215 lbs. (gym)
    • MISCELLANEOUS
      Workout this morning was good I think. I dont know. 35 minutes long which wasnt too bad. Gym was a bit packed. Slept well last night. Got 9 hours of sleep which I needed!! I was happy about this, damn. Really happy about this. Weight this morning at home was 207 and at the gym it was 215 lbs. Good weight. Still hoping to add some size and development to my physique.
    Last edited by MonStar; 11-14-2002 at 10:31 AM.

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    It's not the frequency of bench that's causing the fatigue. It's because you work to a maximal load each time. That is definitely a strength training practice, and as such I think you'll need to take some strength training ideas over with you.

I hate to use Westside as an example so often, but I think their results warrant some merit. They only do heavy bench once a week, and they have to alternate their heavy lift to avoid CNS fatigue. Remember that fatigue to the CNS is different than fatigue to the muscle. Your pushing muscles may be recovered after 2-3 days of rest, but your CNS almost surely isn't.

Dr. Siff defines the different types of fatigue on p.14 of Supertraining. I think that half page or so of information might shed some light on my ideas with regards to this.

***edit: Also note that the CNS fatigues differently with different exercises, unlike muscular fatigue. You can do bench one day and incline the next and your muscles will be SHOT, but your CNS will see this as wholly separate (and hence fresh) lifts.
    Last edited by Saturday Fever; 10-25-2002 at 11:24 PM.

• GENERAL COMMENTS
      Feel pretty good today I think, I dont know. Today I have economics which I do NOT feel like going to at all, jeez. I am completely dreading that friggin' class. This morning I am going to wash my car pretty quickly. Just get some of the dirt and grime off of it. Looks like crap after a few days of rain. Oh well, thats what I get for having a white car I guess, cant complain. Looks DAMN good when its finally clean too which is good. Anyway I am really really really dreading going to economics!!
    • PAIN/SORENESS
      Ow, friggin' sore as hell today!! Back hasnt been this sore in a long, long, long, time. I am damn excited about this. Lats are sore from under my armpits all the way down to my waist. GREAT feeling. Midback is damn sore too, and so are my traps. Middle and upper traps are stiff as f*ck.
    • DIET/SUPPLEMENTS
      Meal 1: frosted mini-wheats cereal + skim milk, multi-vitamin/mineral, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E, 2 Xenadrine RFA-1
      Meal 2:

Estimated Calories:
    • TRAINING---REST
      N/A.
    • TRAINING LENGTH
      N/A.
    • SLEEP
      3+4 hours
    • WEIGHT
      207.5 lbs. (home)
    • MISCELLANEOUS
      Damn good thing that its a rest day today, I am aching. Good feeling though I am happy that I am this sore. If DOMS was an indication of growth my lats would be friggin' blowing up. Anyway sleep was okay. Broken up unfortunately but oh well. Weight this morning was pretty good too I think I dont know. Need to keep shooting for a little bit at a time. Well see what happens.
    Last edited by MonStar; 11-14-2002 at 10:31 AM.

DAY 1 | 11-13-2002

• GENERAL COMMENTS

• PAIN/SORENESS

• DIET/SUPPLEMENTS
      Preworkout:
      During Workout:
      Postworkout:

Estimated Calories:

• TRAINING LENGTH

• SLEEP

• WEIGHT

• MISCELLANEOUS
    Last edited by MonStar; 11-13-2002 at 09:52 AM.

Originally posted by MonStar
    Some guy came into my work yesterday and was talking about how he used to be very very into working out, etc. etc. Anyways he went onto to say, "I gotta tell you man, youre really damn big for only 19 years old.."---and he went onto continually saying (4-5 times) how symmetrical I was.
    Did he ask for your number??? tuttut

Originally posted by Otter
    Did he ask for your number??? tuttut
    Haha, nah not at all. It wasnt like that. It does sound like that though. Oops. He was a really really nice guy. Not a fag or anything like that at all. He said that he was just getting back into bodybuilding and bla bla bla. Giving me advice to stick with it after I get married and have kids etc. etc. etc.

Can we note something interesting here SF? You stated that you feel Monstar may be frying his CNS by near maximally benching every session. You then noted that Westside "only" benches heavy once per week. On Monstar's current routine he only benches once every 10th day. So, he is actually stressing his CNS less than the Westside program would (as he is resting he chest completely on other days).

MonStar's 2nd Final Journal

I have decided to make yet another journal to add to my collection. So far I have a good number of journals that are dead. I just added another one to the pile. This is going to be my 2nd final journal. Ill probably keep this one for a good 3-4 months and see how things go. I am really going back to a very original, and traditional split.

chris mason had me on a good program that I would recommend to everyone but me. For some reason I couldnt deal with being in the gym only 3x in ten days. It was driving me completely insane. Oh well, there is nothing that I can do at this point. I am going to give a quick overview of my program and how it looks and everything like that. Obviously its all subject to change.

1 - Chest, Delts, Triceps
    2 - Back, Biceps
    3 - Rest
    4 - Quads, Hamstrings, Calves
    5 - Rest

Day 1
    Flat BB Presses 1-3 reps, 5-8 reps
    Dips 3-4 reps, 5-8 reps
    Flat DB Flyes 5-8 reps
    WG BB Upright Rows 3-4 reps, 5-8 reps
    One-arm DB Side-laterals 5-8 reps
    Lying BB Skullcrushers 3-4 reps, 5-8 reps
    Cable Pressdowns 5-8 reps

Day 2
    WG BTN Chins 2 sets BW to failure
    Bentover Overhand BB Rows 3-4 reps, 5-8 reps
    Seated V-bar Pulldowns 5-8 reps
    Nautilus Pullovers 5-8 reps
    Standing BB Curls 3-4 reps, 5-8 reps
    Incline Hammer Curls 5-8 reps

Day 4
    Squats 1-3 reps, 5-8 reps
    Good Mornings 3-4 reps, 5-8 reps
    Leg Presses 10-12 reps
    Standing Calf Raises 5-8 reps, 12-15 reps
    Seated Calf Raises 12-20 reps
    Rope Cable Crunches 12-20 reps

Hopefully everything with this program will go okay. I am going to be working out a lot more frequently which in my eyes is an extremely good thing. I know that its not a good thing in everyone's eyes. But for some reason with me I just love working out and going to the gym and everything like that with a passion. I dont know what my problem is.

Again guys---feel free to post all you want! I love the support.
    Last edited by MonStar; 10-27-2002 at 10:27 PM.

Goals For 2003

• Flat Barbell Presses: 315 x 2 (!)
    • Dips: +180 x 2 (!)
    • Wide-grip Barbell Upright Rows: 185 x 2 (!)
    • Lying Barbell Extensions: 185 x 2 (!)
    • Wide-grip Overhand Behind-neck Chins: BW x 20 (!)
    • Bentover Overhand Barbell Rows:
    • Standing Barbell Curls: 165 x 2 (!)
    • Squats: 455 x 2 (!)
    • Good Mornings: 315 x 2 (!)
    Last edited by MonStar; 10-27-2002 at 10:26 PM.

Bespoke Super Mod
    I've merged your journal ok Mike. This is a perfectly good journal and you can continue without having the need to start a new one.
    Last edited by FAngel; 10-28-2002 at 05:11 AM.
    "A + B + C = Success if, A = Hard Work, B = Hard Play, C = Keeping your mouth shut" -Albert
    Einstein

I've always gone to the gym with the conviction that I'll be the hardest working mother****er in the joint. Make that your credo, and hope we don't lift at the same place.
    -- Adam Fahy

"Fran is a double-hard bastard"- Clint Brewer 31/12/02

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Can we note something interesting here SF? You stated that you feel Monstar may be frying his CNS by near maximally benching every session. You then noted that Westside "only" benches heavy once per week. On Monstar's current routine he only benches once every 10th day. So, he is actually stressing his CNS less than the Westside program would (as he is resting he chest completely on other days).
    Right, but to avoid overloading the CNS, they will alternate their maximal lift every week. 10 days is probably not going to relieve the CNS anymore than 7 days. This was noted and pointed out simply so he could see where the stagnation came from.

***edit: Also note that they don't do the same type of bench every week, and this is why I pointed out the difference between fatigue to muscle and fatigue to the CNS. They may bench more frequently, but they're not doing the same lift. One week it may be off 2 boards, maybe next tike it's 5, and next time it's a decline press. On a muscle level, yes it's still the chest. I agree that on a muscle level that's ample rest. But central fatigue, as defined by Dr Siff takes longer to recover from, and can be worked around by making small changes to the actual exercise.
    Last edited by Saturday Fever; 10-28-2002 at 11:41 AM.

Mystic Eric
    I hereby claim this as Eric's territory. I remember that Powerman and Maki had some estates made with monstar's old journals. I'm gonna revive that idea. This one is a beauty because it's the longest.

I might put a shopping mall on here. Who wants in?

Originally posted by Saturday Fever

Right, but to avoid overloading the CNS, they will alternate their maximal lift every week. 10 days is probably not going to relieve the CNS anymore than 7 days. This was noted and pointed out simply so he could see where the stagnation came from.

***edit: Also note that they don't do the same type of bench every week, and this is why I pointed out the difference between fatigue to muscle and fatigue to the CNS. They may bench more frequently, but they're not doing the same lift. One week it may be off 2 boards, maybe next tike it's 5, and next time it's a decline press. On a muscle level, yes it's still the chest. I agree that on a muscle level that's ample rest. But central fatigue, as defined by Dr Siff takes longer to recover from, and can be worked around by making small changes to the actual exercise.

Gotcha, but I challenge the idea that performing a variation of the same movement doesn't stress the nervous system in a similar fashion. In other words, your body is still firing the exact same muscles to move the weight. The firing pattern may be different, but as neural activation of the muscles involves a chemical component, and my understanding is that the chemical component would be the one that gets "fatigued", then it follows that the same nerves would be firing and thus neural fatigue would not vary.

Oh, and Monstar, what more of an affront could you hit me with? First you don't stick with my program for more than a week, then you go with a program from GoPro ???? Ohhhh, the humanity! tuttut

Ahh... I forgot about the dislike between you and gopro. Jeez, sorry about that chris. I dont know I am just trying to explore all of my options thats all. Its not that I didnt like your program as you know its just that I like to be in the gym more frequently thats all.

Originally posted by chris mason
    Gotcha, but I challenge the idea that performing a variation of the same movement doesn't stress the nervous system in a similar fashion. In other words, your body is still firing the exact same muscles to move the weight. The firing pattern may be different, but as neural activation of the muscles involves a chemical component, and my understanding is that the chemical component would be the one that gets "fatigued", then it follows that the same nerves would be firing and thus neural fatigue would not vary.
    Hey Chris, the firing pattern of the lift is what CNS overtraining is directly related to.

The neural activation that you're referring to is actually a function of the peripheral nervous system, local in the muscle. Its a different type of stress.

MonStar: Man, I'm not even going to respond to this. You know my thoughts on training programs, what will work, and what you need to do. For God's sake find something and stick with it. If you want to use gopro's program, go right ahead. I don't think its a bad routine per se, despite the fact that the terminology he uses is grossly misapplied, and that its essentially a re-hash of Dr. Squat's bodybuilding training.

BUT YOU HAVE TO STICK WITH ONE THING. There is nothing wrong with the routine you're doing now. You won't see miracle results by fixating on every new piece of info you find. Get something that works and USE IT.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Originally posted by Mystic Eric
    I might put a shopping mall on here. Who wants in?
    LOL,

Count me in. I'm sure we could open a store with tons of training routines. There aleast one person that would be in every week getting a new one.

MonStar, what the heck happened to your newest journal about strength and size? Is it gone? Am I blind? Am I missing something?

:withstupi
    Last edited by NateDogg; 11-01-2002 at 03:12 PM.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Originally posted by NateDogg
    :withstupi
    It had degenerated to such a degree that someone decided to temporarily take it offline(not me) so the offending posts can be deleted. It will be back.

• GENERAL COMMENTS

• PAIN/SORENESS

• DIET/SUPPLEMENTS
      Preworkout: orange juice, multi-vitamin/mineral, 1g vitamin C, 400 IU vitamin E, 5cc Liquid Clenbutrx
      During Workout: 20 oz. Gatorade + 5g creatine + 5g glutamine + 1/2 tsp. salt
      Postworkout: 1/2 serving Cell-Tech, 500 mg. ALA, 1 serving whey protein
      Meal 4:

Estimated Calories:
      Wide-grip Overhand Behind-neck Chins:
      BWx9!+2 (negatives), BWx5.5
      Some damn hard sets of BTN chins today. GOOD sets though, I was really impressed with my strength on the first set to be honest. Managed to chin 9 reps BTN which is a new PB for me. Then afterwards I did the positive portion of two reps and did a nice slow negative. Really feeling the movement in my lats. Contracted my lats extremely hard. Right under my armpits. Dropped down to my BW for 5.5 reps. Lats were shot. Really contracted my lats hard with the both of these sets. I was happy. Going to obviously keep my BW for next week, see what happens.

Bentover Overhand Barbell Rows:

Seated V-bar Cable Rows:

Crossbench Dumbbell Pullovers:

Dumbbell Shrugs:

Barbell Preacher Curls:

Incline Alternating Dumbbell Curls:

Standing Alternating Dumbbell Hammer Curls:
    • TRAINING LENGTH
    • SLEEP
      9 hours
    • WEIGHT
      207 lbs. (home)--- (gym
    • MISCELLANEOUS
    Last edited by MonStar; 11-13-2002 at 11:44 AM.

Good idea. I was reading it and I kept having to remind myself that it was someone's journal It got pretty ugly, and I missed most of what was said. Good luck with it Mike!
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska