Thread: What are your indicators?

Dr. Subtotal

What are your indicators?

So what are everyone's indicator exercises relative to their weakpoints? Those variants/supplementals/accessories that when you're hitting PR's, you just know a competition PR is around the corner. Perhaps everyone could get some fresh ideas into their training.

Squat - Oly squat and Front Squat Isoholds - (Slow down out of the hole\tendency to GM - so these tell me where my quads and anti-flexion/thoracic extension are)

Bench - Comp Grip Floor Press (I stall/slow down right above this point in competition)

Dead (Sumo) - Conventional RDL or Sumo Deficit Pull (I'm a T-Rex so I slow down right below my knees) - I especially feel good if I'm hitting PRs after heavy squats because a max Low Bar Squat really taxes my erectors at meets.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

I'll be the first smartass to go with:

squat - squat
    bench - bench
    deadlift- deadlift

No, in all seriousness I know my lifts are moving when rep maxes are moving well though however For squat I used to always know my squat was doing well when my SSB squat was moving, regardless of variation. I did use 12" box SSB squats with great success but they were absolutely horrific and I felt like I was going to die when it got heavy, especially mid range.

Bench is always going to move when my dumbell presses are moving well, flat or incline (I like both) and one I found especially effective was Close grip inclines. When they are high I'd always PR regardless. Close grip was a good indicator for a while but not so much anymore as I've got stronger.

Deadlift, pretty much any deficit. Really like 3.5'' deficit triples. I found single's didnt transfer as well as I'd like. Opposite stance too is a big one at the moment. Whenever one rises so does the other, funny that huh?
    Check out my training:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?144135-My-Log

My smolov blog '12 : start 475 - finish: 520
    http://jtrain-ing.blogspot.co.uk/

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    I'm with JLS on this; for me it's just the main lifts.

I know that The late Rick Hussey, and Louis Simmons can call a lifter's numbers based off of a training lift like pulls from a pin or a heavy double in briefs...... but I've had no success with that.

My squat weakness is just technique-related so far, if I hold form I either get a lift or I don't.
    My deadlift spot is at the bottom of the knee. Raw pulls show my progress, so do reverse band pulls, but neither can really gauge a top end single for me better than just pulling heavy off the floor.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Dr. Subtotal
    Quote Originally Posted by theBarzeen View Post
    I'm with JLS on this; for me it's just the main lifts.

I know that The late Rick Hussey, and Louis Simmons can call a lifter's numbers based off of a training lift like pulls from a pin or a heavy double in briefs...... but I've had no success with that.

My squat weakness is just technique-related so far, if I hold form I either get a lift or I don't.
    My deadlift spot is at the bottom of the knee. Raw pulls show my progress, so do reverse band pulls, but neither can really gauge a top end single for me better than just pulling heavy off the floor.
    I agree too on main work, just thinking of some examples in training that have indicated a PR was in sight.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

I'll follow suit and say the same as above. The squat, bench and deadlift. I have 5 rep and 3 rep max sets though that I know I pr then by 5 lbs my 1 rep max will go up by 5 lbs. I use to go by the 2 board triple and 5 inch block pull for years though.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

good mornings and 3 board have being doing me alot of favors lately
    last meet, GPC, Irish Open: 03/11/2012
    @ 82.5kg/ 181 junior raw
    S: 192.5kg/424