Thread: Specialization Training ~~~~~

Specialization Training ~~~~~

I'm coming off a deload week tomorrow, (been doing Baby Got Back) ~~~ to nice results by the way, but I want to address some proportionality issues, so I'm going to do a 4 week Arm Specialization Routine (posted below) ~ from a guy named Dave Trink. Has anyone ever done anything like this, and if so, can I get some feedback?

Week 1
    Workout A
    Exercise Sets Reps
    A Deadlift* 4 8-10
    B1 Dips (weighted if needed)* 3 8-10
    B2 EZ-Bar Preacher Curl* 3 8-10
    C1 Decline DB Triceps Extension 3 8-10
    C2 Incline DB Curl 3 8-10
    Sit on an incline bench with the back of the bench raised between 60 and 75 degrees. Grab a pair of dumbbells and let your arms hang straight down. Curl up the weight as high as you can without letting your elbows come forward.
    D Cable Rope Pressdown 1 25

* Drop Set. After you complete the last rep of the last set, rest for 15 seconds, reduce the load by 30-50%, and try to match the amount of reps with the new weight. So if you performed 10 reps with 185 pounds on the last set of narrow-grip bench presses, drop the weight to 125 pounds and try to get 10 reps.

Workout M
    Exercise Sets Reps
    A Barbell Back Squat* 4 8-10
    B1 Seated Overhead Press* 3 8-10
    B2 DB Romanian Deadlift* 3 8-10
    C1 Walking Lunge 3 8-10
    C2 Single-Arm DB Row 3 8-10
    D Reverse Crunch/Hanging Leg Raise 1 25

* Drop Set. After you complete the last rep of the last set, rest for 15 seconds, reduce the load by 30-50%, and try to match the amount of reps with the new weight. So if you performed 10 reps with 185 pounds on the last set of narrow-grip bench presses, drop the weight to 125 pounds and try to get 10 reps.

Rest Day

Workout B
    Exercise Sets Reps
    A Narrow-Grip Flat Barbell Bench Press* 4 8-10
    B1 Bent-Over Barbell Row* 3 8-10
    B2 Band-Resisted Push Up* 3 8-10
    Wrap a resistance band around your back and hold one end in each hand. Lie on the ground and perform a set of push-ups. You should feel an overload in your triceps at the top of the movement.
    C1 Barbell Perfect Curl 3 8-10
    This is stolen directly from the late Vince Gironda. Think of this as the opposite of a cheat curl instead of rocking back, you rock forward. Stand with a barbell as if you were about to curl it. Now before you curl, lean your upper body back 5 to 10 degrees (a slight lean back). As you curl the weight up, lean your body into the bar (so you have a 5 to 10 degree lean forward at the end). Leave your ego at the front desk on this one as you'll have to reduce the weight you'd normally use.
    C2 Kneeling Cable Overhead Triceps Ext. 3 8-10
    D Standing DB Hammer Curl 1 25

Rest Day

Workout C
    Exercise Sets Reps
    A Chin Up (weighted if needed)* 4 8-10
    B1 Barbell Floor Press* 3 8-10
    B2 Seated D-Handle Cable Curl* 3 8-10
    Drag a flat bench over to a double cable station. Sit on the edge of the bench with the cable stacks directly behind you. Grab a D-handle in each hand, stay tall in the saddle, and curl.
    C1 Standing Zottman Curl 3 8-10
    Grab a set of dumbbells, stand tall, and perform a curl with the palms facing up. Once the dumbbell reaches your shoulder turn your hands over (palms facing the floor) and lower. Once you get to the bottom, turn your hands back over (palms up) and repeat for reps.
    C2 EZ-Bar French Press 3 8-10
    D Cable Straight Bar Reverse Curl 1 25

Rest Day

Week 2
    Workout A
    Exercise Sets Reps
    A Deadlift* 5 6-8
    B1 Dips (weighted if needed)* 4 6-8
    B2 EZ-Bar Preacher Curl* 4 6-8
    C1 Decline DB Triceps Extension 4 6-8
    C2 Incline DB Curl 4 6-8
    D Cable Rope Pressdown 1 20

* Slow Negative. On the last rep of the last set, perform the eccentric (negative) phase of the lift as slowly as possible. Fifteen seconds is a good time to shoot for. On some of the lifts (such as the Narrow-Grip Bench Press) you'll need a spotter. A word of caution on the deadlift: slow negatives can be risky here if your form breaks down. Proceed with caution.

Workout M
    Exercise Sets Reps
    A Barbell Back Squat* 5 6-8
    B1 Seated Overhead Press* 4 6-8
    B2 DB Romanian Deadlift* 4 6-8
    C1 Walking Lunge 4 6-8
    C2 Single-Arm DB Row 4 6-8
    D Reverse Crunch/Hanging Leg Raise 1 20

* Slow Negative. On the last rep of the last set, perform the eccentric (negative) phase of the lift as slowly as possible. Fifteen seconds is a good time to shoot for. On some of the lifts (such as the Narrow-Grip Bench Press) you'll need a spotter. A word of caution on the deadlift: slow negatives can be risky here if your form breaks down. Proceed with caution.

Rest Day

Workout B
    Exercise Sets Reps
    A Narrow-Grip Flat Barbell Bench Press* 5 6-8
    B1 Bent-Over Barbell Row* 4 6-8
    B2 Band-Resisted Push Up* 4 6-8
    C1 Barbell Perfect Curl 4 6-8
    C2 Kneeling Cable Overhead Triceps Extx 4 6-8
    D Standing DB Hammer Curl 1 20

Rest Day

Workout C
    Exercise Sets Reps
    A Chin Up (weighted if needed)* 5 6-8
    B1 Barbell Floor Press* 4 6-8
    B2 Seated D-Handle Cable Curl* 4 6-8
    C1 Standing Zottman Curl 4 6-8
    C2 EZ-Bar French Press 4 6-8
    D Cable Straight Bar Reverse Curl 1 20

Rest Day

Week 3
    Workout A
    Exercise Sets Reps
    A Deadlift* 4 10-12
    B1 Dips (weighted if needed)* 4 10-12
    B2 EZ-Bar Preacher Curl* 4 10-12
    C1 Decline DB Triceps Extension 3 10-12
    C2 Incline DB Curl 3 10-12
    D Cable Rope Pressdown 1 30

* Rest-Pause. After the last rep of your last set, rest for 10-15 seconds and then attempt 2-3 more reps. Rest another 10-15 seconds and try to bang out another 1-2 reps.

Workout M
    Exercise Sets Reps
    A Barbell Back Squat* 4 10-12
    B1 Seated Overhead Press* 4 10-12
    B2 DB Romanian Deadlift* 4 10-12
    C1 Walking Lunge 3 10-12
    C2 Single-Arm DB Row 3 10-12
    D Reverse Crunch/Hanging Leg Raise 1 30

* Rest-Pause. After the last rep of your last set, rest for 10-15 seconds and then attempt 2-3 more reps. Rest another 10-15 seconds and try to bang out another 1-2 reps.

Rest Day

Workout B
    Exercise Sets Reps
    A Narrow-Grip Flat Barbell Bench Press* 4 10-12
    B1 Bent-Over Barbell Row* 4 10-12
    B2 Band-Resisted Push Up* 4 10-12
    C1 Barbell Perfect Curl 3 10-12
    C2 Kneeling Cable Overhead Triceps Ext. 3 10-12
    D Standing DB Hammer Curl 1 30

Rest Day

Workout C
    Exercise Sets Reps
    A Chin Up (weighted if needed)* 4 10-12
    B1 Barbell Floor Press* 4 10-12
    B2 Seated D-Handle Cable Curl* 4 10-12
    C1 Standing Zottman Curl 3 10-12
    C2 EZ-Bar French Press 3 10-12
    D Cable Straight Bar Reverse Curl 1 30

Rest Day

Week 4
    Workout A
    Exercise Sets Reps
    A Deadlift 2 15
    B1 Dips (weighted if needed) 2 15
    B2 EZ-Bar Preacher Curl 2 15
    C1 Decline DB Triceps Ext. 2 15
    C2 Incline DB Curl 2 15
    D Cable Rope Pressdown 1 50

Workout M
    Exercise Sets Reps
    A Barbell Back Squat 2 15
    B1 Seated Overhead Press 2 15
    B2 DB Romanian Deadlift 2 15
    C1 Walking Lunge 2 15
    C2 Single-Arm DB Row 2 15
    D Reverse Crunch/Hanging Leg Raise 1 50

Rest Day

Workout B
    Exercise Sets Reps
    A Narrow-Grip Flat Barbell Bench Press 2 15
    B1 Bent-Over Barbell Row 2 15
    B2 Band-Resisted Push Up 2 15
    C1 Barbell Perfect Curl 2 15
    C2 Kneeling Cable Overhead Triceps Ext. 2 15
    D Standing DB Hammer Curl 1 50

Rest Day

Workout C
    Exercise Sets Reps
    A Chin Up (weighted if needed) 2 15
    B1 Barbell Floor Press 2 15
    B2 Seated D-Handle Cable Curl 2 15
    C1 Standing Zottman Curl 2 15
    C2 EZ-Bar French Press 2 15
    D Cable Straight Bar Reverse Curl 1 50

Rest Day

A Note On Rest and Tempo

While I'm not prescribing specific rest or tempo on this program, you'd be well advised to perform each lift as quickly as possible while absolutely controlling the negative/lowering phase of each lift.

Time under tension is a critical factor in any hypertrophy phase, and ideally you want sets lasting between 40 and 60 seconds.

Rest periods should be between 75 and 90 seconds for your "A" exercises and between 45 and 75 seconds for the remainder of the program. Once you feel like you're ready to go, get rolling with the next set.

On the high rep "D" exercises, use intra-set rest as much as necessary. Your goal is to, somehow, someway, get all the reps in.

Dan Trink 10/19/2012

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Iplan; 11-21-2012 at 12:42 PM.
    Does this pose make my camera look big?

"We're not as good as we want to be, we're not as good as we should be, but thank God we're not as bad as we used to be..."

How is the above routine one of arm specialization?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    How is the above routine one of arm specialization?
    Chris:

That's kind of why I liked it ~ because it wasn't 'just' an arm thing ~ but more of an 4 week workout plan that "focused" on arms, but tried to maintain or avoid neglecting the other body parts....

Also every workout starts with a compound movement ~~~ which I thought was kind of cool.

I started it yesterday ~ I'll let you know how it goes.

"We're not as good as we want to be, we're not as good as we should be, but thank God we're not as bad as we used to be..."

Okay ~ a couple of observations (at least for me) on this plan.

Deadlifting and then squatting the very next day is a non-starter for me. (The "A" & "M" ("Maintenance") workouts are supposed to be done on consecutive days. I can't do them justice in that format). I switched out the Chinups on the "C" day for the Deadlifts on the A day, and things are going better in the second week.

I also went to an every other day instead of a M, T, Th, Sat schedule.

Note:
    Suspended cutting diet since I started to see what results would be under normal conditions ~~~

Lots of DOMS ~~~~
    Last edited by Iplan; 12-03-2012 at 06:31 PM.