Thread: Feedback needed for upper body day

Feedback needed for upper body day

This is my upper body day:

45* incline bench press: 4(sets)x2

Bent over rows(Pendlay rows)4x2

Close grip bench press: 4x2

Standard flat bench isn't present yet. I'm gonna add it back in in maybe 2 weeks depending on my progress. I think I'll replace close grip with flat.

Incline bench can still be increased by 5lbs from session to session, so I'm trying to get as much out of it as possible, as it's been the best assistance for my bench press so far.

Pendlay rows are nice, and I feel like I need to work them whenever I bench as it is quite abite behind my bench. I can get maybe 200lbs for 3-4 reps max, whereas my bench press is around 250lbs(not sure on numbers, I work in KG) for a max.

Close grips were weak about a month ago, mainly because I never tried them. I had like 182lbs back on my chest after 3 reps. I worked hard on it though and have worked up to 220lbs x3(the fast increase was not so much due to strength, but simply getting used to the movement)

So yeah that's my upper body day right now. What do you guys think? I feel it's working for me so far and it's the first time that I've done more than one press in a single workout(apart from maxing out). It feels like a positive change. I'm also starting back at 3 mins rest on everything. 5mins is too long for the weight I'm pushing at the moment.

Heres an extra question I thought I'd ask too. Do you guys think I should make use of whey protein? I don't use supplements at the moment because I have no money, but I feel that the whey could give me a little edge. Would you recommend it?(been training seriously for 32 weeks. No supplements in that time period, but have used whey duri g boxing 2-3 years ago)

My opinion bro during your accessory work I would bump up the reps. I would also add another back movement on your bench day. Lastly, you need protein no matter how strapped cash is hit up some Nitrean now. If you can afford BCAA also I would do that. You just have to make it work man.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    #2 ranked All time 220lbs raw bench 585lbs
    www.fuelthedesire.com THE ALPHA PROJECT
    ELITE TRAINING EXTREME PERFORMANCE YOUTUBE VIDS
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    ALN Supp Stack used - Nitrean Plus, BCAA, Multi Plus, Fish Oil, ETS
    Anderson Powerlifting
    Sling shot
    YOU CAN HAVE EXCUSES OR RESULTS, NOT BOTH

I think if you sub out closegrips, youll be lacking tricep strength. If you do, id at least add something in like an extension, 5 board, or maybe a jm press. I also agree that you need some more back/upper back work.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Thanks guys.

@Larsen What sort of back work would you recommend? Maybe another row? Upright or bodybuilder type row? Any other back work that you can do with a barbell only? I don't have dumbells for now. And those high reps for assistance would you say something like tricep extension 12 reps would work?

@Rich Ok, the reason I'd swap out the CGBP is to not overtrain it and then come back to it in a while for more gain, but would you say something like changing from 4x2 to 3x5 would allow me keep using it effectively for a while before burning out?

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by KJDANEXT0 View Post
    Thanks guys.

@Larsen What sort of back work would you recommend? Maybe another row? Upright or bodybuilder type row? Any other back work that you can do with a barbell only? I don't have dumbells for now. And those high reps for assistance would you say something like tricep extension 12 reps would work?

@Rich Ok, the reason I'd swap out the CGBP is to not overtrain it and then come back to it in a while for more gain, but would you say something like changing from 4x2 to 3x5 would allow me keep using it effectively for a while before burning out?

Peace.
    Well, i think staying with the same movements and reps will burn anyone out.. i guess if you changed reps up, youd continue to progress. I think its fine to sub movements out but just be mindful of the big picture. If you swap a cgbp, you may need to balance your program out with an extension or something. You could also do little changes..instead of swapping the cgbp completely, you could switch it to incline or decline cgbp.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Yes 12 reps or so would be fine and if you have bands you can wrap them around something and do seated rows anything man just get creative.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    #2 ranked All time 220lbs raw bench 585lbs
    www.fuelthedesire.com THE ALPHA PROJECT
    ELITE TRAINING EXTREME PERFORMANCE YOUTUBE VIDS
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    ALN Supp Stack used - Nitrean Plus, BCAA, Multi Plus, Fish Oil, ETS
    Anderson Powerlifting
    Sling shot
    YOU CAN HAVE EXCUSES OR RESULTS, NOT BOTH

Banned
    Follow 5/3/1. It's so simple and it works so well. Pull-ups for back work. DB Rows, BB Rows and Pull-ups. Keep it simple.