The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Gain A Pound Of Muscle Per Week!

HOW TO GAIN A POUND OF MUSCLE PER WEEK!!! OR SO THEY SAY....(from a popular men's magazine)

(a) Multiply weight by 12

(b) Mulitply (a)X1.6 to estimate your resting metabolic rate.

FOR STRENGHT TRAINING
    (c) Multiply the number of minutes you lift weights per week by 5:

FOR AEROBIC TRAINING
    (d) Multiply the number of minutes you run, cycle, play sports per week by 8:

(e) ADD C and D and divide by 7

(f) ADD E and B to get daily caloric needs.

ADD 500 to (f) to get your estimated daily caloric intake to gain 1 pound of muslce per week.

I am a 175 pound 6' male....using this formula It tells me to eat 4014 calories PER DAY!!!! WHAT THE?? Id get really fat i think....

ALSO NOTICED that my BMR using the Wannabebig formula is 1885.3 the above formula gives me a bmr of 3360, that's a huge difference!
    Last edited by y2klifter; 07-03-2002 at 11:18 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Lesson of the day:

Do not get your fitness/lifting advice from popular mens' magazines.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

lol so when im 25, ill be 690 lbs or so and lean?

y2klifter remember everyone's different, e.g. for me too gain with max potential i need 3500-4000cals per day whereas my freind who also worksout takes in about 5000 and still has trouble gaining.
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

those guys in that magazine must have it all figured out.
    my other favorite forum! Check it out!

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/

dude, I can gain weight eating 2500-3000 calories a day and this thing says I need 4800......
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

i didn't write it....

Just remember I didn't write article....

I think Men's Health wants everyone to be really fat so they keep buying their magazine to learn how to loose weight....

i eat much more than that.............mens health guys dont know how to eat like a man........

Mind Over Matter Monster Muscle's Avatar
    pound of muscle a week. i wish it were that easy]

If that's from Men's Health you've taken it horribly out of context. I think I recognize that from last month's issue and it's taken from like 12 steps to gaining muscle for a hardgainer or something like that. It's like a 2-3 page article and it actually contains good information aimed at people with a fast metabolism. If you're going to post something taken from a source it would be nice if you try and post it in context.
    Last edited by g-dot; 07-10-2002 at 11:00 PM.

Originally posted by g-dot
    If that's from Men's Health you've taken it horribly out of context. I think I recognize that from last month's issue and it's taken from like 12 steps to gaining muscle for a hardgainer or something like that. It's like a 2-3 page article and it actually contains good information aimed at people with a fast metabolism. If you're going to post something taken from a source it would be nice if you try and post it in context.
    tuttut
    First of all it is from Men's Health, secondly I did not take it horribly or any way out of context. This formula was as written in this Issue. And this was not last months issue, this was the current month's issue. What do you think Im some kind of idiot who can't read? Anyone here who reads Men's Health will notice that they contridict them selves on a regular basis.

Maybe this guy works for Men's Health..hmmm....and for you, if your going to post referring to me as an idiot be sure and try and research before you make yourself look like an ass.

Also for anyone who doesn't know who to belive send me your address, ill be happy to mail you a photocopy of the page! and your a senior member g-dot?

BYE
    Last edited by y2klifter; 07-11-2002 at 07:37 AM.

Wannabebig Member Podium Kreatin's Avatar
    4000 cals isn't that much is it?
    in terms of mag advice, they're all very unreliable. i remember this weird one they said the best way to grow is doing oppsition movements, and had a pic of this guy doing lat pulldowns w/ one arm, and DB OH press on the other
    "No one can completely believe that I am natural.
    The most important drug is to train like a madman
    -really like a madman
    The people who accuse me are those who have never trained once in their life as I train every day of my life."

Alexandr Karelin
    Ten-time World Greco-Roman Champion
    1988, 1992, 1996 Olympic gold medalist

current stats (10/19/03): 20yrs, M, 5'4 @160lbs, ~11% body fat
    lifted since march 2000

First of all I don't work for Men's Health. Second of all I didn't call you an idiot. The only one who looks like an ass is you for replying to me like that. Which month is that taken from? As to them contradicting themselves on a regular basis I hardly concur. Men's Health is the only men's fitness magazine worth the paper it's written on. I've had a subscription to men's health for around 3 years and I've never found what they say to be contradictory. The only gripe I have with them is that they recently began advertising for creatine supplements and I do believe the first issue in which they had said ads they did an article on how great creatine is and how everyone needs it. Anyway do tell me what month it was from.

Actually I saved you the trouble. Issue is July/August 2002 and you DID take what you posted out of context. That formula was taken directly from the article "Pack 10: A Skinny guy's guide to adding a pound of muscle every week" Which is written out in 10 steps. You took step 3 from the article entitle "Eat More". The article is aimed at lean/skinny people who want to pack on some muscle and not for a seasoned lifter. The article contains a lot of good information and if you get your head out of your ass long enough to read it you should give it a try.

*Any more insults and you'll be gone*
    Last edited by Maki Riddington; 07-11-2002 at 07:11 PM.

First of all sorry for Saying "ASS" ...your right you didn't call me an idiot. I must hear it from my wife too much, "ARE YOU CALLING ME AN IDIOT!"

I know the article your refering to, and your right it is referring to lean/skinny people who want to pack on some muscle and not for a seasoned lifter. But I still feel that this is way too many calories to be eating after doing this formula, but then again im no pro.

I bought the men's health hard cover book and can't remember the name, but the diet habits they say you should do in this book contradict a few of their recent magazine issues. Also the work out plans were very tame for someone who wants to build muscle. I can't remeber the details but I could research it this weekend and then tell you....

But I agree to disagree with you. And yes your right Men's Health does have some good articles as I too am a subscriber. I do feel they are directing their issues to the maybe slightly overweight people whose biggest concern is too loose some wait and add muscle, not bodybuilders. Not that Im overweight and your most likely not either, but my intention was not to Trash Men's Health, or mislead anyone by taking the article out of context.

bone crusher
    in the context of a hardgainer it is not rediculous sounding.

at any rate, enough said here