The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Cheeze Whiz

Opinions on my workouts

So the past few months I've recommitted myself to working out. I'm blessed with additional time during the day that permits longer workouts lately. I'm 35 years old, been working out on and off for years (mostly off before @ 6 months ago). As of right now I'm 6'0", 186lbs. No clue as to my body fat percentage.

I have a bit of a crappy body type. I'm of a slender build but I put on fat around my midsection quickly (love handles). When I started getting back into it, I was 200lbs. I have little to no muscle mass in my upper body, arms, shoulders, back, and glutes. I have longer legs than most at my height and seem to have a bit more muscle there than anywhere else.

So my workouts have been a bit all over the place the last few months. When I started really getting back into lifting again, I went into it with the opinion that more is better. Anything I do is going to be better than not doing it. I run a 4 day split, that looks something like this:

Day 1: Chest and Triceps
    Chest press - 1 set x 15 reps, 2 sets x 12 reps, 2 sets x 10 reps, maybe a last set at 8 reps
    Incline press - 1 x 15, 2 x 12, 2 x 10
    Chest Flys (machine) - 1 x 15, 2 x 12, 2 x 10, maybe 1 x 8 if I'm feeling saucy
    Tri Press - 1 x 15, 2 x 12, 2 x 10
    Barbell Skull Crushers - 2 x 15, 2 x 12
    Cable Tri push downs (not sure what the exact phrasing is) - 2 x 15, 2 x12
    Cable Overhead tri pulls - 2 x 15, 2 x 12

Day 2: Back and Biceps
    Deadlifts - 1 x 15, 2 x 12, 2 x 10
    Machine Pull downs - 1 x 15, 2 x 12, 2 x 10
    Machine rows - 1 x 15, 2 x 12, 2 x 10
    Curls - 1 x 15, 2 x 12, 2 x 10
    Hammer curls - 2 x 15, 2 x 12
    Incline curls - 2 x 15, 2 x 12

Day 3 - Shoulders and abs
    Military Press - 1 x 15, 2 x 12, 2 x 10
    Raises - 2 x 15, 2 x 12
    Shrugs - 5 x 15
    3 or 4 misc ab exercises - usually 4-5 sets of 15

Day 4 - Legs
    Squats - 1 x 15, 2 x 12, 2 x 10
    Hamstring curls - 1 x 15, 2 x 12, 2 x 10, 1 x 8
    Quad raises - 1 x 15, 2 x 12, 2 x 10, 1 x 8
    Leg Press w/ calf raises - 4 x 15

I increase weight from one set to the next. The first 15 rep set is almost always at a lower weight, more as a primer or break in than anything. I'll use dumbbells over barbells whenever I can.

I begin each workout regardless with @ 10-12 minutes of stretching, always legs as I run to warm up and target whatever group I plan on working that day. I warm up most days with 1.25 miles on the treadmill. .25 miles walk @ 4MPH, .25 jog @ 6MPH, .25 @ 4, .25 @6, .25 @ 4. This is usually a 16 minute warm up.

When I'm done lifting and I have the time and energy / initiative I'll finish with additional cardio. Today, for instance it was @ 4 miles on the elliptical alternating .25 miles @ 5-6 mph, then .75 @ 9-10. Sometimes I'll go longer, other times not. It's not scripted or planned. I'll run, do the elliptical, recumbent or stationary bike, walk at an incline, etc.

I take 1-2 days off per week usually. Again, not scripted but it's how it works out.

So since I've been really committed to this routine, say over the past 90 days or so, I've seen more results than I ever have before. I'm starting to gain some mass in my shoulders, chest, and arms while dropping fat (slowly). I plan to keep with it but I'm concerned sometimes I may be overdoing it. I'm sore some days more than others, and I've run more in the last few months than I have literally ever run in my life combined.

At this point, I'm looking for suggestions or comments. Am I missing anything obvious, or overdoing it - especially since I'm not a young 'un anymore and would like to avoid causing long term problems. Any feedback is welcome. Thanks!
    Last edited by Mudd; 11-24-2012 at 08:08 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by Mudd View Post
    starting to gain some mass in my shoulders, chest, and arms while dropping fat (slowly)
    So since I've been really committed to this routine, say over the past 90 days or so, I've seen more results than I ever have before. I'm st. I plan to keep with it but I'm concerned sometimes I may be overdoing it. I'm sore some days more than others, and I've run more in the last few months than I have literally ever run in my life combined.

At this point, I'm looking for suggestions or comments. Am I missing anything obvious, or overdoing it - especially since I'm not a young 'un anymore and would like to avoid causing long term problems. Any feedback is welcome. Thanks!
    If you're seeing results, I don't know why you're posting, but anyway...

I think you're seeing results from losing body fat more than anything, and a lot of that is likely due to running and/or increasing physical activity in general.

If you really want to get bigger, your routine is fucked. Yeah, it'll do something, but it's far too advanced for you. You don't need 2-4 exercises per muscle group, IMO. You need basics: squat, deadlift, bench press, military press, pullup, row. That's it. Work the shit outta those. Get strong in them.

And what the fuck is a "chest press"? Nothing against you, but using a term like that is a sign that you need to do more reading.

Research! Work the basics!
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Cheeze Whiz
    Quote Originally Posted by Meat_Head View Post
    If you're seeing results, I don't know why you're posting, but anyway...

I think you're seeing results from losing body fat more than anything, and a lot of that is likely due to running and/or increasing physical activity in general.

If you really want to get bigger, your routine is fucked. Yeah, it'll do something, but it's far too advanced for you. You don't need 2-4 exercises per muscle group, IMO. You need basics: squat, deadlift, bench press, military press, pullup, row. That's it. Work the shit outta those. Get strong in them.

And what the fuck is a "chest press"? Nothing against you, but using a term like that is a sign that you need to do more reading.

Research! Work the basics!
    Maybe I wasn't all that clear. Yes, I'm seeing results. I'm wondering if there's things I could be doing to see more results. And thank you, I should clarify as well - I'm not necessarily looking to get bigger. A little additional muscle mass would always be nice (especially as I've never had a ton to speak of, probably due more to genetics than anything else). I'm into sports and play in a few leagues for softball, basketball, etc. But my goal here is that I'm looking to get stronger and more athletic (which is why I posted here instead of the powerlifting forum). I've started getting into my diet more, and that's where a lot of my reading has been the last few weeks.

My routine has kind of evolved into what it currently is. I started with the basics, as you suggested. Effective compound exercises - squat, deadlift, bench, etc., on a 3 day split. It's morphed into way more additional reps than I ever thought I'd do.

BTW - chest press is what we called the bench press with dumbbells instead of barbells when I was in college. Just a term to differentiate. I've been researching quite a bit - if you'll notice, I have very few posts, most of what I do is read. At this point I'm serious enough to seek active feedback and suggestions, hence the post. Thanks!
    Last edited by Mudd; 11-25-2012 at 06:28 AM.