The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

protein shake before/during workout?

so i just read an article on this site which said that you should be taking protein shakes before during and after your workout and that you will benefit the most by doing this. usually i just have a protein shake after i workout, but i do feel like i could be getting more calories and protein into my diet so i was wondering if it would be smart to take a protein shake to the gym and drink it as i workout and then have another shake after im done? or if i should just have a pre workout shake? i forgot to mention that i do take Neurocore as a preworkout. could someone please tell me what would be the best method to go about this, thanks!
    Last edited by Andra2000; 11-25-2012 at 11:27 PM.
    Save the Water, Save the Planet

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Link to said article?

Pre, intra, and post workout shakes have their place. During the workout you need a Hydrolyzed protein powder (about 20g) and a carb (30-50g) Like vitargo to help shuttle aminos into the muscle. These specific types are needed so there is no digestive stress during the workout.

For pre workout a solid food meal 45-60 min prior is fine and post workout either a shake or solid food works.

I think it is a marketing strategy to sell more protein powder. I think if you have a good meal prior and enough protein after you are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    During the workout you need a Hydrolyzed protein powder (about 20g) and a carb (30-50g)
    Allen, in your opinion how much importance do you put on this? I've seen the obvious pre/post routine time and time again but never really heard someone argue the benefits of a "during" supplementation.
    Bench: 315x3
    Squat: 455x2
    Dead: 500

Currently 6 ft, 230 lb.

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopipally View Post
    Allen, in your opinion how much importance do you put on this? I've seen the obvious pre/post routine time and time again but never really heard someone argue the benefits of a "during" supplementation.
    Is absolutely needed, no. IMO if you can afford to do it then I would recommend it. WHen you workout you are depleting your glycogen stores as well as breaking down muscle so instead of waiting until you are finished why not start the rebuilding process during the workout by shuttling amino acids into the muscle? This is also enhanced due to the hypermia(increased blood volume in the muscle) effects of weight training. The main benefit is it enhances recovery.

Now does this mean if you don't do it you won't get good results, not at all. I'm not here to market anything, but I do believe it does aid in building muscle more efficiently and improving recovery abilities.

if memory serves me correct there is no anabolic activity during working out.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by dynamo View Post
    if memory serves me correct there is no anabolic activity during working out.
    No, but the goal with the intra drink is to get ahead of the curve so to speak by delivering nutrients while you are breaking down the muscle tissue and start recovery instantly.

Is absolutely needed, no. IMO if you can afford to do it then I would recommend it. WHen you workout you are depleting your glycogen stores as well as breaking down muscle so instead of waiting until you are finished why not start the rebuilding process during the workout by shuttling amino acids into the muscle? This is also enhanced due to the hypermia(increased blood volume in the muscle) effects of weight training. The main benefit is it enhances recovery.

Now does this mean if you don't do it you won't get good results, not at all. I'm not here to market anything, but I do believe it does aid in building muscle more efficiently and improving recovery abilities.
    Hey, fair argument. Was just curious if I was missing anything big. Thanks.
    Bench: 315x3
    Squat: 455x2
    Dead: 500

Currently 6 ft, 230 lb.

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

No, but the goal with the intra drink is to get ahead of the curve so to speak by delivering nutrients while you are breaking down the muscle tissue and start recovery instantly.
    gotcha, isn't eating enough protein through out the day good enough? Wouldn't there be an upper limit to the amino acids in the blood stream given X grams of protein ingested, that once reached would only need to be topped off by a periodic meal and thus negate an intra-workout feeding of any type? If during lifting all anabolic processes stop but glycogen is depleted then simple carbs would the only benefit, and perhaps more psychological than physical? Of course I am only talking in the specific case of lifting weights for an hour or so.

I'm not for or against it either way, some days I drink a protein shake while I lift, it helps me keep my intensity up for whatever reason, but I don't always have a shake or drink or whatever when I lift.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.