Thread: Should I be worried ?

Should I be worried ?

I just finished a cutting cycle . . . Went from 3900 cals. daily down to 2200 cals. daily. (lost 25 lbs. about 6 lbs. of muscle based upon b/f measurements)

Well, I'm on the bulking side again. (but try'in to gain less fat this time)

I've increased from the 2200 cals. daily all the way back upto 3000 cals. daily and I haven't gained a pound, nor inches, all my measurements remain the same. (especially the waist, I lost 4 inches, which is fine with me)

The only thing different I did on the bulking cycle was keep my carbs. low (25%) and raise my fats (50%). (the opposite of my last bulking cycle) Protein is 1g/1lb. (25%)

Shouldn't the increase in calories have caused me to gain something ? Even if it was some fat ?

Comments are welcomed. (even bad ones)

Thanks.

How long have you been back bulking??? I the extra 800 cals will take 4+ days to add a pound of weight assuming that your baseline is 2k cals a day (which is low)

Basically 3500 cals = one pound body weight
    Quit reading this and go SQUAT!

Magic Link to answer any question

Ecoli die
    How much were you losing a week on the 2200 cal/day cycle? If you were losing more than 1lb/week, then no, bumping to 3000 wouldn't cause you to start gaining weight.
    Now in pain, only working out the walking sticks.

Originally posted by Dominator
    How long have you been back bulking??? I the extra 800 cals will take 4+ days to add a pound of weight assuming that your baseline is 2k cals a day (which is low)

Basically 3500 cals = one pound body weight
    I'm upto 3175 as of this week and its been over 4 weeks.

Based upon measurements & scale as of this morning.

No change.

Originally posted by Tiare
    How much were you losing a week on the 2200 cal/day cycle? If you were losing more than 1lb/week, then no, bumping to 3000 wouldn't cause you to start gaining weight.
    Well I lost the 25 lbs. in 17 weeks. So, the average was 1.47 lbs. p/week.

Why wouldn't the increase in calories increase weight ? Was the defecit created to great ?

I thought it was pretty cool that I could increase calories w/o gaining weight, (I thought it was only the lower carbs. that kept the weight off) but I've been steadily increasing carbs. for weeks and no weight gain (or increased measurements indicating muscle gain) and it's got me worried a bit.

...fattest...fatter...fat. WannaBeStrong's Avatar
    Low carb is not the way to bulk. Carbs help transport nutrients into your muscles. Don't be worried, just try lowering your fats to about 30%, carbs 40%, and protein 30%. I've read others have a nice outcome at those percs.

ed: missed a comma. w00t.
    Last edited by WannaBeStrong; 07-15-2002 at 11:04 AM.

Originally posted by WannaBeStrong
    Low carb is not the way to bulk. Carbs help transport nutrients into your muscles. Don't be worried, just try lowering your fats to about 30%, carbs 40%, and protein 30%. I've read others have a nice outcome at those percs.

ed: missed a comma. w00t.
    Yea, Thats what I've been doing.

I had whittled by carbs. down to about 50g p/day (from 500g daily when bulking)when dieting to cut fat and now I'm very SLOWLY reintroducing them into my diet. (got 'em back upto 250g daily) as I decrease fats to counter. (Don't think I'll get back to 500g daily, though, to much fat accumulation. Probably stop around 350g or so and increase cals. with proteins and/or fat)

I plan on maintaining close to the ratio (not sure I'll go that high on proteins, but will maintain 1g/1lb minimum) you suggested, just haven't gotten there yet.

It's been a month, so I was concerned.

Thanks for you input.

Ecoli die
    1.47 lbs/week is a deficiency of roughly 750 calories a day. So by going from 2200 to 3000 calories you are roughly 50 calories/day over your maintenance level of 2950. 50 calories/day will equal 1lb of muscle in 50 days or 1 lb of fat in 70 days (in reality, it will be a mix of fat and muscle in 50 to 70 days).

your breakdown of c/p/f makes very little difference in absolute weight terms as compared to your total surplus/deficiency of calories.

At 3200 calories a day, you should be seeing about 1lb every 10 days or so.
    Now in pain, only working out the walking sticks.

Originally posted by Tiare
    1.47 lbs/week is a deficiency of roughly 750 calories a day. So by going from 2200 to 3000 calories you are roughly 50 calories/day over your maintenance level of 2950. 50 calories/day will equal 1lb of muscle in 50 days or 1 lb of fat in 70 days (in reality, it will be a mix of fat and muscle in 50 to 70 days).

your breakdown of c/p/f makes very little difference in absolute weight terms as compared to your total surplus/deficiency of calories.

At 3200 calories a day, you should be seeing about 1lb every 10 days or so.
    My deficiency was over 1700 calories daily from my peak bulk maint. diet (daily weight 215/3900 calories) down to my peak cut maint. diet (daily weight 190/2200 calories) not 750 calories.

I stayed at 2200 calories for a couple of weeks to see what my weight would do and I stayed between 188/190, this would seem to ensure 2200 was indeed maint. calories for that weight. (all other activities remained consistent, this was the control.)

Since plateauing at 190/2200 I've been steadily increasing calories (all carb. calories) for about 4-5 weeks, bringing the total daily calories to 3175 as of this week, from the 2200 calories maint. at 190. This is a surplus of 975 calories. (all carbs. mind you) which should enact almost a 2 lb. a week gain, based upon the theory that 500 calories daily or 3500 a week will cause a 1 lb. b/w gain.

To date I've yet to gain a pound or increase any measurements.

This would seem to poke holes in the theory that simply adding calories would be accompanied by additional weight gain and/or size increases.

For reference I weigh everything by the oz./gram and plan my meals 1 week prior to enacting the diet. I utilize compound movements in my routine (including squats & deadlifts) and w/o using a 3-day split.

The ONLY thing I've changed from bulking to cutting to bulking are two things:

The total amount of calories consumed (3900 to 2200 to 3175-to date)

The types of calories consumed (from carb. heavy-500grams to low carb.-50grams and back to moderate-235grams carbs. thus far)

I'm continuing with the experiment and will post at what point the weight and/or body composition begins to change.

Any theories, comments, etc. are welcomed.
    Last edited by jc_az; 07-17-2002 at 01:37 PM.

Eat more. Like everyone else said, you should be seeing results... what's your workout like, you doing anything that would burn more calories than your last bulking?
    "What we do in this life echoes in eternity!"
    Maximus

Originally posted by Jedi Knight
    Eat more. Like everyone else said, you should be seeing results... what's your workout like, you doing anything that would burn more calories than your last bulking?
    Everyone else also said, "Consuming 500 additional calories daily for a week would cause a median weight gain of 1 lb."

"That advice didn't pan-out to well, did it"?

As was stated in the above post . . . "All activities remained consistent, the ONLY variable was diet".

Advice such as "Eat More" seems to be flawed based upon my experience thus far. I am eating more, to the tune of 950 calories above that which sustained my past and current b/w of 190.

It's not as simple as some would have you believe.