Thread: Criticism Wanted

Wannabebig Member

Criticism Wanted

Uploaded my workout plan. Short synopsis. I started running and doing light weight training 4 years ago. Got a bit fluffy after high school sports stopped and beer drinking started in college. I cut my weight down from 205 to 175 which was my main focus at the time.

I started medical school 2 years ago and started lifting as a way to stay sane. Helps a lot with the stress levels. It's turned into an obsession over the past two years and I'm trying to fine-tune my plan. I'm currently back to 205 pounds, but with a MUCH lower BF% than I used to have. (Haven't measured just going by eyeballing)

Looking to put on some more size and gain some definition. Any place in my plan that has two excercises in one row indicates that I alternate weeks on the two for variety. As you can see, I change from 4x10s to 3x8s every 4 weeks. I have also recently thrown in HIIT twice a week. I do 2 on 1 off then 2 on 2 off. Help me out. I'm still pretty new to the whole thing.

Considered making my compound lifts (Rows, Dead, Bench, Squat) 5x5 sets to develop more strength? Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Wannabebig Member
    Are y'all having trouble getting the file? I had to zip it otherwise it wouldn't fit.

I actually like your set-up with one exception: the bicep/tricep day, but that's just my personal preference. I don't think you're getting much out of a dedicated day to bi's and tri's. I would throw the bi work into your back day and the tri work into your chest day. Then you have a nice 3 day split.

Also, the weight your using seems really low for a 205 pounder (145 bench 4x10????) - what are your maxes looking like?
    6'1"/203 (down 12 pounds since 5/2012)
    B: 410
    S: 480
    D: 575
    2-mile run: 13:23

Wannabebig Member
    Not sure about my max. It's been a long time since I tried. Did chest yesterday and on my last 4x10 I only got 8 reps. I had to wait for the bench so I had done the rest of my entire routine before I benched and I was worn out. Once I hit all 4- 4x10s I bump up the weight 5 pounds the next week.

I am relatively weak for my size on all of my big lifts. I'd love to have bigger numbers. Just need some sort of plan to get me there. I'll definitely consider moving around the bi's and tri's. I had it set up that way last year but I did this change to spark some arm growth. It helped for a while but now it doesn't seem as effective.

Wannabebig Member
    I also only started keeping a log about 6 months ago. I think I really hindered strength gains by never remembering which lifts I was supposed to bump up next week, what I lifted last week, etc. Since I started keeping track almost all of my lifts have gone up by 15-20 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by 1qwkt/a View Post
    I also only started keeping a log about 6 months ago. I think I really hindered strength gains by never remembering which lifts I was supposed to bump up next week, what I lifted last week, etc. Since I started keeping track almost all of my lifts have gone up by 15-20 lbs.
    Any type of gain is a good thing. If you're wanting to build muscle mass, maybe take a look at 5x5 program or a 5/3/1. There are a number of good premade programs out there and I made excellent gains on both. If you are wanting to craft your own routine (which is something I like to do), here's my two cents (and hopefully others will jump in here). For someone moving the type of weight you are--not knocking you--I would base your workout around the three main lifts: bench, deadlift, squat, and use as much weight as you can handle for 8-10 reps.

Chest/Shoulders/Tris
    BB Bench
    DB Incline Bench
    Military Press
    Arnold Press
    Tricep Extensions
    Flys

Back/Bis
    Deadlift
    Seated Row/Bent over row
    Pull-ups
    Pull Downs
    Bicep Curls

Legs/Abs
    Squat
    Leg Curl
    Calf Raises
    Farmer's
    Leg Press

Personally, I like to err on the side of overtraining, but others will tell you to pay particular attention not to overtrain. It's all up to you and what you can handle plus what your goals are.
    Last edited by tmor6; 10-23-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    That's a good starting point. Thanks tmor. No offense taken. That's why I joined in the first place. I wanna move more weight and obviously what I am doing isn't getting me there. I do like writing my own workouts rather than getting pre-made ones. I can tailor it to exactly what I want.

I like the pairings you suggested. I think I may try that for a while. What do you think of keeping my other rep ranges at 4x10 and 3x8 but going 5x5 with the squat, dead, bench? Do I need more 5x5s in the plan or would just the one be effective?

I like the pairings you suggested. I think I may try that for a while. What do you think of keeping my other rep ranges at 4x10 and 3x8 but going 5x5 with the squat, dead, bench? Do I need more 5x5s in the plan or would just the one be effective?
    Totally your call on reps/weight, but make sure you are using the right amount of weight. What worked for me was using the amount of weight that I can move x amount of times, but not a single rep more (you'll definitely need a spotter for BB bench, and if you can't get one, use DBs). It's the routine I always come back to. Give it a try and see if you like it. Here's an example using my weights:

BB Bench Press (after warming up)
    8 reps - 320
    8 reps - 320
    8 reps - 320
    8 reps - 320

Note: By the fourth set (and sometimes the third), I usually can't hit the 8th rep. So for me, 320 pounds is the most amount of weight I can move 8 times. If you want to do this with a 5x5, the same principal applies. Use the amount of weight that you can move 5 times, but not 6. If you can move it 6 times, it's not enough weight. I'd say give it a shot, but I can't stress enough that you should use the correct amount of weight - don't go too light. And don't be afraid to lift to failure; that's why you squat in a squat rack.

Also, I wouldn't be too worried about whether you are hitting 8 or 10 reps. Does your body know if you do 8, 9, 10? Probably not. In other words, the pay off between 8 and 10 is probably negligible as long as your using good form and the correct amount of weight. If you can handle a heavy set of 4x10 on your other lifts, do it; if that is burning you out too quickly, do 3x8. Mix it up and see what works. And yeah, try a 5x5 with the big 3. I think you'll see it pay off pretty quickly - and if you find yourself asking, "Is the weight I'm moving heavy enough?" the answer is no - add another plate.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for all the advice. Really helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Shifallcali View Post

SPPPPPPPPPAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMM!
    Does this pose make my camera look big?

"We're not as good as we want to be, we're not as good as we should be, but thank God we're not as bad as we used to be..."

Wannabebig Member
    The 5x5s have been perfect for me. I was able to easily add 5 lbs a week for the first 5 weeks on my deadlift. Went up 3 consecutive weeks for bench. 4 consecutive weeks with squat. Leads me to believe I just wasn't pushing myself hard enough before. Gonna take it easy for a week and then go back to pushing my maxes up. Thanks tmor!

The 5x5s have been perfect for me. I was able to easily add 5 lbs a week for the first 5 weeks on my deadlift. Went up 3 consecutive weeks for bench. 4 consecutive weeks with squat. Leads me to believe I just wasn't pushing myself hard enough before. Gonna take it easy for a week and then go back to pushing my maxes up. Thanks tmor!
    Thanks for the update! Glad you're making gains, man! Keep up the good work!