The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

10 Tips for a Bigger Bench

Here are some of the things I teach at my bench clinics. Use these tips to bring your bench to the next level. They are in no particular order.

1. Perform drop down sets. After your top set of bench or Max Effort exercise, take somewhere from 10-15% off the bar and complete that for a triple.

2. Make sure to tuck your elbows. Don't scissor press the weight. Turn your elbows in to engage your lats.

3. Overhead press. OHP is a great overall builder. Plus it will work your lockout without punishing your pecs.

4. Use mostly barbells and specialty bars when training. Big bars like Texas bars, fat bars, and swiss bars create a big body. You will use more muscles with them than you will with machines, dumbells, and pulleys.

5. Hold your breath. Fill your belly with air before you take the weight and don't let it out until the weight is locked out.

6. Train your extensors. Use big movements like tricep extensions and JM presse. Save the pushdowns for deloads and extra workouts.

7. Train your back like a reverse bench. Keep your shoulders retracted when performing rows.

8. Get tighter. Dig your traps hard into the bench, push up a big arch, squeeze your glutes and keep your hips high so that you meet the bar at its highest point.

9. White knuckle the bar. Don't just hold it in your hands. Squeeze the bar as hard as possible, you will activate more muscles this way.

10. Work harder! Get extra sets and reps in. Don't just stop because you hit a number on a piece of paper. When you feel good take advantage of it and push your session to the next level.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

thanks for the tips vinny!

could you give me an example on how triceps should be train on both ME and DE days -set/reps and exercise choice...?
    last meet, GPC, Irish Open: 03/11/2012
    @ 82.5kg/ 181 junior raw
    S: 192.5kg/424
    B: 130 kg/286
    D: 225kg/495
    best gym lifts:
    S: 182.5kg/400
    B: 135 kg/300
    D: 220 kg/485

Quote Originally Posted by gaz90 View Post
    thanks for the tips vinny!

could you give me an example on how triceps should be train on both ME and DE days -set/reps and exercise choice...?
    One needs to be high intensity - low reps 3-6 tops for 2-5 sets. That needs to be a heavier movement like bbl ext, jm presses, or board presses.

The other needs to be low intensity 8-12 reps for 3-6 sets. Use dbl movements for this. Tate presses, rolling tri ext. They can be done from the floor, bench, incline, decline, etc. Just switch it up to keep it fresh.

I have had good luck running high intensity on my ME days as well as my DE days. I think it comes down to preference. Some like to get all the heavy work done on the same day and run it on ME and do the low intensity on DE. Just play with it and figure that part out for yourself.

Hope this helped.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

Thank you for the added tips. Simple but effective. How important do you feel the need to change sets/reps between ME/DE day? Have you tried going heavy-low rep for both days or lower-hi rep for both days?? Or even both on the same day?
    Bench: 315x3
    Squat: 455x2
    Dead: 500

Currently 6 ft, 230 lb.

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

vinny, great advice. thanks for clearing that up
    last meet, GPC, Irish Open: 03/11/2012
    @ 82.5kg/ 181 junior raw
    S: 192.5kg/424
    B: 130 kg/286
    D: 225kg/495
    best gym lifts:
    S: 182.5kg/400
    B: 135 kg/300
    D: 220 kg/485

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopipally View Post
    Thank you for the added tips. Simple but effective. How important do you feel the need to change sets/reps between ME/DE day? Have you tried going heavy-low rep for both days or lower-hi rep for both days?? Or even both on the same day?
    The higher intensity day is the strength component so it is necessary weekly. You can train with that intensity twice a week for a while, but it is likely you would burn out. Hence a high intensity day and a low intensity day.