Thread: Observation

I was wondering if any of you guys/gals have noticed each time you bulk up that the excess weight you may gain is distributed more evenly around your body??
    This was brought to my attention in another post on another board and it made sense to me.
    I have found that each time I bulk up I am not getting it straight in my abdominal and obliques. It seems to be get distributed alot better each time.

What are your thoughts??
    Last edited by Maki Riddington; 06-04-2001 at 12:23 PM.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

hmm, I can see your logic but scientifically it doesn't make sens cause the fat goes where the fat cells are.. and usually the ratio of fat cells is determined by your genetics. I'm not sure if I know wtf I'm talking about so correct me if I'm wrong.
    "Damn, I'm looking good" -Duke Nukem
    "I look cool dude" -Pig From the Sky

It doesn't work for me. When I bulk, the first place the weight is stored is my midsection. Genetics determined where your weight will be stored.

El Guapo
    love handles for me dude. If anything I've noticed my legs look like they have less fat then before !

I notice no better distribution, would be better if I did.

chest.. damn chest
    Eat Tuna!
    "Ya don't touch my tuna, I don't kill you."- by Tuna Master
    "Part of getting what you want is knowing what you have to give up." - by who knows. ME? Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

My first bulk cycle it went straight to my stomach and my love handles.
    I've noticed each time that it is increasingly evenly distributed to my stomach, glutes, chest and love handles.
    My damn arms though damn them, they don't get any love.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

hhmm well , I've experienced my fair share of weight fluctuations in the last few years. Mind you, these so called 'bulk' cycles were not planned at all! I noticed though that when I used to gain weight, it seemed to go mainly to my boobs first. Then it would go to my belly/ butt. My legs never used to get affected too much. However, now things seem to be different. Anytime I gain a bit of weight, it doesn't go to my boobs anymore, it goes to my hips and lower half more so. I know this makes sense cause that is typical of where females add excess pounds, but I did notice the change in weight distribution.

boobs have fat in them? No!

bone crusher
    People change where the fat is concentrated over the years, females especially (crazy hormonal cycles) as sav pointed out with the boob/butt/belly connection. Men get fat deep withing their belly- so called "hard fat" which a major indicator of heart disease and arteriosclerosis. This progressively becomes more prominent with age but thankfully is also very sensitive to exercise.

I know what you mean. I think I know why you would think that, too. The first time you bulked, you were probably a very small guy. You're shoulders and waist and hips were almost in a straight line up and down. When you bulked, the fat went mostly to your midsection and you looked fat. When you bulk the next time, you're shoulders were wider, your hips are beefier, but the fat goes to the smae place. Although it doesn't LOOK as bad because the difference between your shoulder/waist is much more obvious now. Each time you bulk, it'll LOOK like it's better distributed. When in reality it all goes to the same place. A guy with a 35 inch chest and 35 inch waist looks alot fatter than a guy with a 45 inch chest and a 35 inch waist, or a guy with a 55 inch chest and a 35 inch waist.

Fat accumulation in the breasts (in women) is ok by me! Just thought I might give my 2 cents on that "weighty" subject. .

Originally posted by The Cobra
    I know what you mean. I think I know why you would think that, too. The first time you bulked, you were probably a very small guy. You're shoulders and waist and hips were almost in a straight line up and down. When you bulked, the fat went mostly to your midsection and you looked fat. When you bulk the next time, you're shoulders were wider, your hips are beefier, but the fat goes to the smae place. Although it doesn't LOOK as bad because the difference between your shoulder/waist is much more obvious now. Each time you bulk, it'll LOOK like it's better distributed. When in reality it all goes to the same place. A guy with a 35 inch chest and 35 inch waist looks alot fatter than a guy with a 45 inch chest and a 35 inch waist, or a guy with a 55 inch chest and a 35 inch waist.
    Great point here cobra. That makes total sense.
    "They will spend their nights dreaming of six-pack
    abs and a rock hard physique, little do they realize eventually we will reach
    our goal and they will be dreaming of the body we walk around with every
    day…only then will they understand." -- Severed Ties

"There are 6 billion people in this world, and I'm #1." -- me

My only question is, why would it change where it goes?
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

MACHINE
    I never really thought about it, but I have definitely noticed a difference when I bulk now. I don't know the science behind it, but here's what I noticed:

For years, I maintained about 12% bodyfat. I'd occasionally bulk up to 14-15% and then go back down, but I never broke into single didgit bodyfat. Then, 1-1/2 yrs ago, I got down to 7% bodyfat and maintained that for a while. Then I bulked back up to 12% bodyfat. Well, this 12% bodyfat looked a hell of a lot better than the previous 12% did. There was a lot less fat around my butt & gut than before. Then, 6 months ago I cut down to about 6% bodyfat. I maintained that for a while, and then started bulking. I'm now up nearly 20 lbs, and I'm at about 12% bodyfat, but damn, once again this 12% looks better than before. Granted, I've put on some muscle, but it's all relative - 12% bodyfat at my weight now = more fat weight than 12% was at my weight before, so it should look relatively the same IF it is distributed the same way. Although the gut & butt are bigger, I have gained NOTHING around the love handles - only skin there. Sure, from the side view after I eat, I look a couple months pregnant and have a slight case of ghetto booty, but from the front, the shoulders, lats, & arms are busting out of my shirts and my waist line still looks trim.

What's the explanation for this? Age? Getting down to such a low bodyfat% previously?
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Originally posted by chris mason
    Fat accumulation in the breasts (in women) is ok by me! Just thought I might give my 2 cents on that "weighty" subject. .
    I hear ya!
    Eat Tuna!
    "Ya don't touch my tuna, I don't kill you."- by Tuna Master
    "Part of getting what you want is knowing what you have to give up." - by who knows. ME? Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

Good points Cobra.
    But my shoulders have always been my strong point in terms of width. Blame it on genetics?
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

When in doubt, blame it on genetics.

Mine just collects around the midsection and chest..

Same thing happens to me, mac....the only way my arms will clear 18" is for me to bulk...

my girlfriend always tells me the only way we men find fat attractive is if it has a nipple on it.

...and your girlfriend is right.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]