The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Yea, that'd be great. Flyersfan's Avatar

Haven't lost a pound - thoughts?

I purchased the Labrada Charge ephedra supplement 2 1/2 weeks ago. I've been using it faithfully since... first 2 weeks, it was one a day. Starting this past weekend, I switched to two per day (one in the morning, one before workout).

I've tracked my diet. In that time, I average 2000 kcal/day, with a 30/40/30 (fat/carb/prot) split. Saturated fats account for less than 1/3 of my total fat intake.

My workout is a 3-day split that was recently reviewed. I am definitely gaining strength with every session, but considering how long it's been since I worked out that's not surprising.

I've read that people usually see significant changes in the beginning, then it tapers off until they plateau. I haven't lost a single pound. I am 5' 10" and (still) 184 lbs. I think my pants are the tiniest bit looser, but that could just be wishful thinking.

My question, finally : should I be concerned? Could I be one of those people that can gain muscle while losing fat (albeit slowly)? If things don't change soon, should I consider going to a bulk phase then cut? My biggest goal is to reduce my waist size, but I don't want to lose the little bit of muscle I still have.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Re: Haven't lost a pound - thoughts?

Originally posted by Flyersfan
    My question, finally : should I be concerned? Could I be one of those people that can gain muscle while losing fat (albeit slowly)? If things don't change soon, should I consider going to a bulk phase then cut? My biggest goal is to reduce my waist size, but I don't want to lose the little bit of muscle I still have.
    When you first start out, or get back after a long layoff, yeah, you could be gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time. Do not put much faith in what the scale says. Use the mirror to judge your progress.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Banned
    IMO, that is a fairly poor macronutrient split for a cutting diet. I'm positive you aren't eating enough protein. Try to get AT LEAST 1 g per lb of bodyweight while cutting. Too little protein combined with low cals = big-time catabolism. I'm surprised that you are not losing weight with such few calories though. Are you sure you are keeping track correctly? Are they from clean sources?

are you male?

i don't think you are eating enough or enough of the right macros to be honest.

i know how you feel tho....i was on a ohhhh...9 month plateau when i first started. i had other stuff going on tho.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

I see nothing wrong with that macro breakdown. He is still getting 150g of protein which isn't bad. If you want to, try switching the protein and carbs around to make it 40/30/30, but I don't know if it will have too significant an impact.

I also think that your caloric level is fine. At 184, 2000 cals can be a good level to cut at when eating clean. If you feel that your fat levels are slimming don't worry about the scale. I am pretty much the same weight as I was 4 months ago and people continually tell me I've lost weight, and I just shake my head and say, "no I haven't" since it's technically just fat. If you want you could try maybe 1800cals but I wouldn't go lower than that. If you do go that low you may find your energy much lower as well and then I'd definitely say make the switch in carbs and protein.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

i'm thinking more like 2200 and swapping 40% protein for 40% carbs.

Thanks for all the replies. Yea, I'm male, and I'm tracking everything that goes in my mouth using Fitday. More often than not I had to add my foods manually.
    I learned early on that I was drinking WAY too much soda, so now I limit myself to one glass a day. I also have a protein shake most days, but I was only using 1 scoop instead of 2 (25g per scoop, 1g fat, 1g carb). I think I'll add that 2nd scoop and have 1/2 cup of cottage cheese to increase my protein intake without adding a lot of carbs.

I'm gonna try really hard not to obsess over the scale for a couple months. I'll take some measurements on a monthly basis and let that be my benchmark instead of weight.
    -Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one conciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.-

If you could get rid of that last glass of soda and replace it with something like perrier you would also be doing yourself some good. Or maybe limit yourself to a glass every few days. I will have one when I have a craving but in general they are not a part of my regular eating habits.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Grasshoppa
    Get rid of soda altogether...too much sugar.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

SOON TO BE A MONSTER
    get some diet soda

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    If you're male, I'd say try bumping up your cals a little, esp if you are training hard. Tracking everything in Fitday is great b/c you'll be able to see what calorie level produces the desired effect. Just experiment a little until you find what seems to work for you.

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

Try lowering your carbs. & switching to diet soda.

I had a similar problem when dieting. I kept. lowering calories down (2200 final) and nothing. I tried lowering carbs. and viola things got better immediately.

I got my carbs. down to 75g daily, lost most of the fat from my belly and love handles, but I was weaker until I got adjusted.

Now I'm bulking, but I have only let my carbs. get upto 150g daily and I'm gaining weight (size), but not fat on the belly or love handles.

I was 215 at 6'4" and when I stopped dieting I was 185, now I'm back upto 190.

People still ask me if I'm losing weight becuse I'm so lean now, but once I take my shirt off they can see I'm not so skinny.

My pants & shirts are much looser, but I look better in the mirror to me. I hardly ever wear shirts anymore and only shorts because I like the way I look now.

Not as big, but better !
    Last edited by jc_az; 07-05-2002 at 01:18 PM.

So when you lowered carbs did you replace them with something else? If not then you can't be sure it was the carbs, as you would obviously be cutting calories out as well. If you replaced them exactly with some protein and fat then you could attribute the success to lowered carb levels.

Current FFFA Enforcer

lowering carbs and making up for them with fat and protein is what worked for me to finally start losing weight.

actually what i did was cut out sugars, starches and grains.

i got my carbs from fresh veggies and dairy, and one serving of oats with a servign of fruit. that's what broke my 9 month plateau.

Ecoli die
    I would suggest that you add cardio to your workout and you'll see changes if you keep your diet the same. 30 to 45 min a day for 3 days a week.

With the diet I agree that carbs are best as veggies and fruit rather than starches. 2000 calories seems fine for a cutting level but what were you eating before? If you were at maintenance with 2200 calories...

Personally I lost a lot of weight on a 40/40/20 (p/c/f) split.
    Now in pain, only working out the walking sticks.

There were a lot of responses, and I appreciate everyone's input. I'm going to let the mirror be the judge for a while... if I can increase the mass in my upper body, it really doesn't matter what the scale says. Most of my strength is in my legs, as evidenced from my stats below, so I'm going to focus on getting proportional.

Seated row: 165x6 (250x5)
    DB Lat raise: 17.5x9 (30x10)
    Waist: 36 in. (33 in.)
    -Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one conciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.-

Originally posted by ElPietro
    So when you lowered carbs did you replace them with something else? If not then you can't be sure it was the carbs, as you would obviously be cutting calories out as well. If you replaced them exactly with some protein and fat then you could attribute the success to lowered carb levels.
    Well, yes, kinda.

What I did was actually lower carbs. and raise fat to make-up the difference. I have been doing the same workout and cardio throughout, so this isn't a factor.

When I bottomed out I was at 75g carb. daily from 2200 calories for about 3 weeks, then I went to 2500 calories w/100g carbs for a week and then 3000 calories w/150g carbs. for another week.

Next week will be the same calories (3000) but with more 200g carbs. and less fat. (just to see what it may do)

I don't know if I ever will eat the amount of carbs. most people suggest again. (when I started dieting I ate 600g carbs. daily)

I plan to increase carbs. gradually and see what happens. (but not more than 350g a day or so)

Originally posted by Tryska
    lowering carbs and making up for them with fat and protein is what worked for me to finally start losing weight.

actually what i did was cut out sugars, starches and grains.

i got my carbs from fresh veggies and dairy, and one serving of oats with a servign of fruit. that's what broke my 9 month plateau.

I kinda did this, but I didn't increase protein. I just made sure I ate 1/g 1/lb. and thats it.

I only drank milk & ate cheese and thats it from dairy. I ate a fresh garden salad (or another veg. like carrotts or corn) most evenings, along with either chicken, beef or pork for my main evening meal.

With real low carbs. you really cant eat anything starcy like bread, or potatoes or rice.

For me carbs. were the key, now I know what works.

I'm kinda excited to finally have my meal plan figured-out !

Good luck everyone !!!

I know this thread is over a week old, but I wanted to post some results.

Since I started a month ago, I have lost ~1 inch from my waist, gained 1 inch in my chest, gained 7/8 inch on my arms (which were puny to begin with), and gained 1/2 inch on my thighs. Through all of this, I haven't lost a single pound.

I am offically not looking at the scale anymore. My primary goal is to reduce my waist, and that is occurring (albeit slowly). Two more inches to go!

-Brian

"damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska