The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Routine for the older generation?

OK so my dad want's to work out. He's in his late 50s, a bit hefty, and not the most active person. I tell him great! I have the perfect routine, it's a simple full body workout and we'll start with light weights.

A:
    Squat
    Rows
    Bench

B:
    Deadlift
    Pull-ups
    Overhead press

"Nope, I can't do squats my knee is shot. Oh, deadlifts? Sometimes my back acts up."

Ever work out with someone like that? Are there any substitutions you'd recommend? I have a rack and free weights. No machines except for an elliptical is is apparently easy on his knee.

Do you think the elliptical is fine for lower body and we just focus weights on his upper?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

The elliptical will do jack shit for his lower body as far as muscle goes. If possible, go to a local gym and get some more options for him. Isolation machines and other things.
    Bench: 315x3
    Squat: 455x2
    Dead: 500

Currently 6 ft, 230 lb.

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

I have been finding box squats to be really nice on my knees.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Wannabebig Member
    I like the routine, nice and simple. Keep squatting and deadlifting. If form is proper his knees wont hurt while squatting, and if his back acts up during deads its because of lack of use- start sloe and light to build a base and the back will stop actin up after a few months. Or those excuses could just be B.S. because squats and deads are work - call him out.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the suggestions!

He's had surgery on his knee before so that is legitimately torn up. I've never really seen him beat up about his back, though. Maybe just needs some mobility stretches and some strengthening.

We'll probably take it easy and play it by ear. I don't want to be responsible for injuring my dad!! He's not as young as I am.

Quote Originally Posted by PhxdB View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions!

He's had surgery on his knee before so that is legitimately torn up. I've never really seen him beat up about his back, though. Maybe just needs some mobility stretches and some strengthening.

We'll probably take it easy and play it by ear. I don't want to be responsible for injuring my dad!! He's not as young as I am.
    My girlfriend also had knee surgery and it bothered her when she did squats. She switched to box squats and hasnt had an issue since.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Wannabebig Member
    I had him do some box squats today and they seemed to work great.

He has some flexibility issues with his shoulders so he had trouble getting the bar in position. We just went with body weight to start off and we're going from there!

PROPERLY performed box squats are very easy on the knees. Both of my knees have been significantly damaged and I can box squat heavily regularly. As for the balance, back pain is really just back weakness in many, many cases. If you start him light and force him to use perfect form he will strengthen the spinal erectors and supporting tissues and his back pain will become a thing of the past. Guaranteed.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!