The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Deadlift...Too heavy?

Hey guys,

I am just trying to stay lean, but am a bit confused on deadlift. Everytime i get into a regimen where I am deadlifting twice a week (5 sets, 8-10 reps) I end up getting bigger. This isnt a bad thing at all but I feel like it makes my hips bigger or something, could this be due to diet? Or should I avoid deadlifts in general?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Deadlifting will make you grow. It will make the muscles around your lower back/legs bigger. Don't avoid deadlifts unless you are going for the 150lb abercrombie model look.
    Consistency
    My Journal

I wouldn't avoid deadlifts at all. But I would stop doing them twice a week. Once a week is fine.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

And, to me, if you ever get to any appreciable weight, 8-10 reps is a recipe for injury.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
    And, to me, if you ever get to any appreciable weight, 8-10 reps is a recipe for injury.
    What?
    6'1"/203 (down 12 pounds since 5/2012)
    B: 410
    S: 480
    D: 575
    2-mile run: 13:23

Quote Originally Posted by tmor6 View Post
    What?
    I think what he meant is that some circles believe that when you go really heavy for higher reps on deadlifts, form starts to break down from fatigue, as well as supporting muscles that protect the back, and then you can become more likely to get injured.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

it depends on your goal.. i used to deadlift heavy every week. i noticed once i was pulling 500-600 x5 depending on the workout a week a my joints were taking a heavy hitting. i actually quit doing deads all together. heavy bent over rows for are a foundation of my back. rack pulls and t bar rows are great additions as well
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old
    prepping for my first show!

Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire View Post
    I think what he meant is that some circles believe that when you go really heavy for higher reps on deadlifts, form starts to break down from fatigue, as well as supporting muscles that protect the back, and then you can become more likely to get injured.
    Rich, thanks. I figured that's what he was getting at, but it seems out of character for this forum to advise against not lifting as much as you can, if you get my drift. I guess I was looking for a bit more info on a comment like that. For example, I can get 505 for 10 reps and I wouldn't dissuade people from going all out (safely). Nothing wrong with trying to hit higher reps with decent weight. What's the alternative?
    6'1"/203 (down 12 pounds since 5/2012)
    B: 410
    S: 480
    D: 575
    2-mile run: 13:23

Benchyou, are you a man? You are worried that your hips get a little bigger when you deadlift? Seriously, are you a man? WTF??? I simply cannot understand when a man worries about adding a little muscle. It just seems ridiculous to me.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Benchyou, are you a man? You are worried that your hips get a little bigger when you deadlift? Seriously, are you a man? WTF??? I simply cannot understand when a man worries about adding a little muscle. It just seems ridiculous to me.
    Probably a v taper thing , but i agree with you. Who cares if ya got a 20 inch different if your waist is 20 and chest is 40.
    Lifts

Gym -no meet lifts all 3rms

bench 200
    dead 405
    squat 315

176 at 14%

I guess I was a bit harsh. It just boggles my mind a man would worry about getting a more powerful body.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!