The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Guidelines for loading on "heavy" and "light" days?

Im starting to bench more (after a long time off from BB benching) and wanted to make sure my plan for loading isn't a horrible idea.

I typically have a "heavy" day and a "light" day each week. Last week I week I worked up to a near max on bench of 255, so Im considering this my max at the moment.

Heavy daysI wasn't planning on using any variations of the bench, but instead vary the weight each week. I think weights in the 225-255 range would be good for improving strength. And for reps, id be in the 1-3 range and about 6-12 total reps.

Since last week I built up to a single at 255, this week i'd like build up to a double or triple at around 225-245. Then I'd back off by about 5-10% and perform singles as clusters.

Light days For light days I also wasn't planning on using any variations. Instead, some of these days will be "DE" while others will be more similar to HCT-12 loading.

Today was the first time back using bands. I did 155-185 + red short bands for 6x3

I plan on doing this DE loading for a few weeks and then going by feel whether I want to do DE or HCT-12 each time

My main question is whether I need to be concerned with loading the bench fairly heavy every week without much variation? And do I need to plan a "deload" or should I just go by feel?

Thanks in advance.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'm just seriously getting into the 'Westside' mentality of things, so I hope more experienced people chime in: but in my current opinion, going heavy (ME) every week with LITTLE TO NO variation in the lift will be counter-productive after about 3 or so weeks once your body "adapts" to what you're doing and puts your nervous system in a negative state.

Im not to sure about any positives when it comes to varying the weight (and pre-planning it, for that matter) each week. I think you might be better off working to a 1-3 rep max (with the intention of going higher each week) followed by loading off 10-15% and do a 3 or so rep max with that.

Vince did an article with simple tips to improve your bench in this section, check it out.
    Last edited by Jonathan E; 12-02-2012 at 10:25 PM.
    Bench: 315x3
    Squat: 455x2
    Dead: 500

Currently 6 ft, 230 lb.

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

If you are not planning on changing up exercises you might want to check out routines like Block Periodization, Wendler's 5/3/1, or Lilly's Cube method. They stick with the main movements without accomodating resistance.

At your present strength levels don't worry about deloads. When you have an obligation you can't get out of or get sick, boom, there's your deload.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Thanks Vincent. I'll give it a try first and see what happens. I usually can tell when I need to cut back anyways. Thanks for the programming recommendations as well.
    Last edited by danki; 12-03-2012 at 05:54 PM.