The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kabuki View Post
    Had the MRI this morning and just read the report. AWESOME NEWS!!! Its a partial tear, no avulsion, no ruptures, looks like my quick exit formt he bar saved me from surgery. Time to get it on with rehab!
    Haha I was thinking that you being in pain during the bench/deadlift is actually a positive thing in a twisted way. Had you full tore that baby completely you would've felt next to nothing afterwards! Cheers to getting better.
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

Had the MRI this morning and just read the report. AWESOME NEWS!!! Its a partial tear, no avulsion, no ruptures, looks like my quick exit formt he bar saved me from surgery. Time to get it on with rehab!
    Great news! Heal quick! ..and just think, coming back from an injury, you'll have no trouble beating your last total!

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Not many have that period. Again, I stated it was impressive. And again , I feel it was really stupid to do.
    I've held my tongue on this for a little bit. This is likely how Justin felt when he posted his response as well. Anyway, done holding my tongue.

I find your statement to be incredibly offensive as it implies that I have an inferior level of intelligence. That I am not able to provide as competent level of risk assessment while being in the situation, that you can provide by sitting at your computer with only a video.

For your information I also engaged in much higher risk behavior over the next 24hrs such as navigating back to my room, playing with my kids, and then packing the rig and the family for the trip home the next day. In fact I am still engaging in a daily activity that is of significantly higher risk for worsening the injury than completing the meet not to mention at least 10x the level of pain. Thatís sitting on a toilet and taking a ****. What is your recommended course of action in these events?

Since I am already putting together my own rehabilitation plan perhaps I should council with you as you must be more qualified than me here as well. Please detail your approach.

I watched that video and I have to admit that I thought Chris was a bit insane (in the good way that most of the best powerlifters are) to finish lifting. The kind of insanity it takes to push through the pain and finish with nothing on the line but pride is a kind of insanity that most people could to with a bit more of.

"Itís time to drag myself over to the bench press and say ďF--- You!Ē to everyone telling me to lie back on the floor with my garbage bag of ice. Letís get this on. I may not be winning, breaking records, or even setting PRís, but God Damn it Iím finishing what I started!!!"

That's the kind of attitude that gets people to the top in whatever they are doing. Thanks for sharing the inspiring post. I'm glad to hear that things are better than you thought. I hope you get back on the platform, and back to chasing that all time record soon.

I've held my tongue on this for a little bit. This is likely how Justin felt when he posted his response as well. Anyway, done holding my tongue.

I find your statement to be incredibly offensive as it implies that I have an inferior level of intelligence. That I am not able to provide as competent level of risk assessment while being in the situation, that you can provide by sitting at your computer with only a video.

For your information I also engaged in much higher risk behavior over the next 24hrs such as navigating back to my room, playing with my kids, and then packing the rig and the family for the trip home the next day. In fact I am still engaging in a daily activity that is of significantly higher risk for worsening the injury than completing the meet not to mention at least 10x the level of pain. Thatís sitting on a toilet and taking a ****. What is your recommended course of action in these events?

Since I am already putting together my own rehabilitation plan perhaps I should council with you as you must be more qualified than me here as well. Please detail your approach.
    So what's your point here Chris?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

If people wouldn't mind me butting in for a second:

Chris, looking back to as what Joey, Alex, and others posted when this argument was initially resolved: I think it can be seen that Joey was making that remark to benefit you, not to insult you. He said earlier he felt it was a "risk verses reward" thing, which is a valid point. If anything, he is trying to look out for a fellow powerlifter by giving his input on what he would've done differently. You also make a valid point by saying you felt ok doing the bench with no leg drive and then an easy deadlift. It reminds me of when I was at a football combine at the NFL hall of fame in Ohio when I severely strained my hamstring. I tried to keep on going for a few more drills because thats just the type of person I am. However, my father convinced me continuing the drills I was doing will just hurt me more. (It took a A LOT of convincing). Risking the season ahead was not worth it in the long run looking back on it even though I was upset when I left for a few weeks. I know your situation is a tad different, but same morale to the story. Had I continued, some would find it admirable, others stupid. Point is: others will see this type of thing differently so try not to take it in a negative manner. When it comes down to it people on here and powerlifting for that manner in general want to support each other especially when it comes to injuries. Best of luck to you.
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

Here's my take: We think too much and act too little in this society! I think our society is losing the value of admiring guts and fotitude in people's actions. The new thinking seems to be 'play it safe', 'never take a risk'. They think it's foolish too risk an injury to get your goal whatever that goal is. Well, I admire someone who decides it's woth it to them to 'go for broke'! Is it foolish and condemnable behavior for a fireman to run into a building and try to save someone from a fire. Maybe, but we look at him as a hero. Now this is on a much less dramatic level but it is still (in my opinion) heroic when an athlete 'risk it' too finish what he started. If, you are truely a competitor at heart; it can be much more damaging and painful to live with quitting in a competition than to live with even the worsening of an injury but still fighting to finish. In febuary I squated 830 at 56 YO to take the all-time single ply >50 squat record (#1 >40 308 squat). Warming up for bench I really screwed up my lower back aching up on the bench. Had to get help getting on and off the bench. I did a 500 BP (100 off my planned BP) and 575 extremely painful DL. (About 60 lbs. off my planed DL) 1905 was still good enough to be #1 308 >40 total for the year. But I'd wanted mid 2000s. Was I disappointed? A little. But not as much as I was proud of myself for fighting through it to get the best total I could still put together. Did I pay for it? Hell yes. I just now finished (I hope) my last epidural spinal injection and am just now pain free since then. Was it worth it to me? Hell yes! You have precious few moments in life where you feel what I felt that day. The crowd and the other lifters were rallying behind me and it felt awesome. It and 2 other meets in 12 years will always top my memories in powerlifting (even if I never make it back) ...but don't bet against me. I'd relive that day again in a heartbeat for that feeling and that memory. Am I crazy or stupid? To many today, absolutely! But to many others who think like I do...not at all. To my mind I'd have been crazy to quit and let that amazing day in my life slip away...I was holding on to it tight with both hands and haven't regretted it since. So, as you may have guessed I totally admire what Chris did!
    Last edited by mastermonster; 12-20-2012 at 10:25 AM.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)