Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Body Image/How big do you wanna be?

Body Image/How big do you wanna be?

This is an interesting topic for me. I would consider the perfect body for me to be about 175 lbs (5'10" still), with around 7-9% body fat. That is big enough to be strong without losing my foot speed and endurance. For me it is about the balance between aerobic and anaerobic activity, slightly favoring aerobics. Most people around here would probably say that the perfect physique for me would be around 205 lbs, with 5-6% bodyfat. Where do we develop what we consider "the perfect physique"?

Studies have shown that weight lifters tend to consider "the perfect body" to be larger than most. Anorexia or Bulemia (sp?) are eating disorders in which "The perfect physique" is considered to be unhealthily thin, and obsessing on one's body more than life in general. Is there a level were someone is too consumed with being big?

I wanna be big like you guys do, just not as big. What factors determine how big one wants to be? Clearly society's viewpoint rubs off on the individual, but what other factors affect body image? Why do I only want to weigh 175 when everyone else thinks 205 would be perfect?

I used to wanna be 240 and cut, but now I only wanna be around 225 and cut.
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

Im 6'2 228 at 14 %BF.......I want to be 250... 8 to 10% BF the Ill be satisfied
    A strong mind needs a strong body to back it up!!!!!!

BIG BOI
    i wanna be 300-325 around 10-15% body fat.

ill get there.

Bout 180 and cut would be nice.

I am now 5'10 around 22-23%BF ahem and weigh alot I would love to be 16-18% BF
    WHEN LIFE ****S YOU IN THE ASS, YOU GOTTA JUST TURN IT AROUND AND **** IT RIGHT BACK!!!!!! - ME

I am a fatass thank you very much! LOL

Bodylicious Babe

My max bench is @110 x 8

My weight or a little higher, lower bodyfat. 225, 6-7%. (at 5'11"). I realize this is "bigger" than the ideal, but with my build (large shoulders, large joints, etc.) I need more weight to appear as built as a person with a smaller frame (and the same weight). Not to get into a bigorexia argument here... I used to want to be 245... then 235... now, I'm only a little ways off from my goal.

One of the main things that changes is we realize, once we get somewhere, that we're not nearly as big as we thought. And perspectives change....what was once unattainable is now within our reach. Aesthetics differ, goals differ (I wish to be strong, and certainly look like I work out, yet lean. Weight is almost inconsequential, it's how happy I am with myself.) So, it may not be society's ideal, but who gives a sh*t. I get admiring looks when I take my shirt off. I get smiles. They're not "look at that freak", I think I walk the line. (No, this ain't pumping myself up. I'm far from perfect, but I've worked hard and I think it shows)

But, at the end of the day, we all do what makes us happy. I know what it's like to be at both ends of the spectrum, obsession is not something I would want to be victimized by again.
    Last edited by Alex.V; 07-13-2002 at 10:33 PM.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

I would still like to be 5'10 280 minimum with 7 percent bf.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

What bf% are you at when you see your six pack? I am 6'2 227 right now. I guess I'd like to be about 210 and ripped to shreds. I don't know much about bf% yet so what ever % I'd need to have a six'r showin. At this point I don't know if I would be to skinny if I were 6'2 210 and ripped up pretty good. Will have to see
    -=Forgiven=-

Obsession (about my looks) is something I had to sacrifice along with some of my other self-destructive traits during my "bad" period.

I've put on 50 lbs almost to the ounce since I started lifting. On my frame, naked, I look somewhat filled out. Is it enough to satiate me? At 175 lbs, not by any means. My appearance means little to me these days, as does anyone else's thoughts of my appearance. Yet even so, my desire to improve my strength as a person encompasses that physical aspect.

Its something I'll never be rid of, nor should I be.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

This is pretty much how I want to look. I am not sure what Mike Mentzer's stats are but eventually, maybe even 5-10 years down the road, I want to be something like 225-245 lbs. and lean. I think that possible for me genetically.

I mean I have barely tapped into my genetic potential and I have gotten good results. The past year as you guys know my training and diet have been a HUGE rollercoaster and I have pretty much doubled my strength in a lot of exercises.

My squat has gone for 325 x 1 to 425 x 6, etc.

Soca King
    I always thought that being between 185-200lbs would be alright for me.I'm not talking about 5-6% bf either,I'm talking more like 15-20% bf at that weight.FYI I'm 5'6-5'7"

There is only one body I would wish for!!! CONAN!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

BADASS!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

bone crusher
    about 225@10%

Wolfgar73:

Please dont take offense to this because I am not trying to offend you. But why do you get so damn enthusiastic in your posts. There really is no need for all the !!!!!!!!!!!!!! after every word man.

It starts to get annoying, no offense.

I think I'd look good at about 220-230 @ 8-9% bodyfat. That's my goal anyway. I want to be there by the time I'm 20-21.

The perspective that I take, and I'm sure many of you do to, is first to figure out your athletic goals. For me it is to be both stronger and faster, with better endurance (at least enough to run half marathons). I will not sacrafice endurance and speed for strength. Then, with those goals in mind, I estimate what my weight would be if I were to balance those 3 characteristics as I see fit.

The weight in and of itself is not the goal.

a lot of peeps here are more concerned with asthetics tho
    'you cant avoid confrontation in life. it just makes things more trouble down the road. sometimes you have to look at the bull and say "f--k you bull" and grab that bull by the horns'

-Shane

I want to be as big as I can, and respectivly lean.
    Stats
    5'10,185-190lbs, 12-16%bf

Originally posted by BigChaseyChase
    I would still like to be 5'10 280 minimum with 7 percent bf.
    Sweet christ, Chasey, i hope that was a joke. You'd look awful, man.

Bodyfat percentages don't mean squat since they seem to be different for each person. (just remember that guy on here who said he was at 11%? lol ) So i wanna be around the 210 mark and lean enough to have a flat stomach with maybe some ab definition. They don't need to look like i've carved them with a knife though. I'm 6'3" so 210 isn't that big or freakish. I reckon i'd look quite asthetic infact.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

I wanna be 6'0, 190-195 @ 6-8% bf, natural.
    "They will spend their nights dreaming of six-pack
    abs and a rock hard physique, little do they realize eventually we will reach
    our goal and they will be dreaming of the body we walk around with every
    day…only then will they understand." -- Severed Ties

"There are 6 billion people in this world, and I'm #1." -- me

Originally posted by lronMan
    Wolfgar73:

Please dont take offense to this because I am not trying to offend you. But why do you get so damn enthusiastic in your posts. There really is no need for all the !!!!!!!!!!!!!! after every word man.

It starts to get annoying, no offense.
    I just LMAO at this post!

um yeah to add, my aim or goal is to be in contest shape again someday. So somewhere aroudn 125-130 lbs. Dunno what bf that would put me at 10-12%?

Originally posted by Savannah

um yeah to add, my aim or goal is to be in contest shape again someday. So somewhere aroudn 125-130 lbs. Dunno what bf that would put me at 10-12%?
    I thought you were a guy posting this! I was wondering what the hell kind of contests you were entering. Dwarf Tossing (you being the dwarf)? Skinny Man competitions? It makes sense now.

Banned
    My size goals are the same as my strength goals. Keep increasing until I don't want to increase any more. I want to lean up a bit more, the better to appreciate my gains, but unless I decide to try and become an amateur competitor or something, I don't see me trying to shred down to single-digit bodyfat. SO long as I can see most of a sixpack and can display SOME cuts, I'll be happy.

We'll see how big that gets me...