Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Cardio Necessary.. ? Opinions?

Is Cardio Necessary.. ? Opinions?

I am going back to the basics with all forms of bodybuilding. Training and diet especially though a push/pull/legs split and a clean bodybuilding diet.

What do you guys think about cardio? I am trying to lose some fat still but I cant decide if I need cardio or not. I am thinking maybe just on rest days to burn some extra calories?

depends on your body type. If you like to hold fat, then a lil cardio may do the love handles good.
    Last edited by Avatar; 07-14-2002 at 11:20 AM.
    "They will spend their nights dreaming of six-pack
    abs and a rock hard physique, little do they realize eventually we will reach
    our goal and they will be dreaming of the body we walk around with every
    day…only then will they understand." -- Severed Ties

"There are 6 billion people in this world, and I'm #1." -- me

Save cardio as a last resort kinda thing. I'm sure i've told you this before.

Get your diet in order first, then pull out the cardio card when you need it.

Unless, of course, you actually want to get better at cardio.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    i disagree, i think you should do cardio, why wouldnt you work out your heart???

I say no to cardio. But I guess it depends on what you want to do.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

I think I am just going to do a little cardio on my rest days.

Originally posted by TripleP
    i disagree, i think you should do cardio, why wouldnt you work out your heart???
    Heavy squats make my heart ask me to stop.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

But heavy squats don't give your heart any sort of endurance.
    I don't think cardio is NECESSARY, like someone said above, get everything else in order and if you need an extra little bump, do some.
    I like doing it purely because I can eat more.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Originally posted by TryingToBeBig
    But heavy squats don't give your heart any sort of endurance.
    lol, your heart has been beating since you were born (and even before then).

It's never stopped yet.

How's that for endurance?

I've been considering doin some cardio but I am still a bit hesitant, I've put on a good 20lbs since I first came to wbb this past Feb. I'll probably start doin a bit of cardio after I gain another 10lbs, just to keep me from becoming a complete fat slob.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Originally posted by Manveet
    I've been considering doin some cardio but I am still a bit hesitant, I've put on a good 20lbs since I first came to wbb this past Feb. I'll probably start doin a bit of cardio after I gain another 10lbs, just to keep me from becoming a complete fat slob.
    Remember, you can only gain (at most) 1 or 2lbs of muscle a week, anymore than that and you will become Fat Bastard.

Also, C. Daddy mentioned squats for working out your heart, you can go a step further than that and go ride a rollercoaster, which will get your heart beating 160 times a minute.

Hows that for a workout?

PR blaster!
    Diet and lifting are the most critical. Cardio is not necessary to get ripped but can help so long as training and diet is right. Cardio on non-lifting days seems like a good idea as it can serve to help recovery. Cardio at high intensity improves the hearts ability to pump blood and burns calories at a higher rate. Cardio at lower intensity for longer periods of time work type 1 fibers (endurance). With that in mind, I'd like to say I hate cardio and dont do it, ha.

I think you should do some cardio. I'm on a bulk at the moment and have stopped cardio for about 2 months and my resting heart rate has risen nearly 20 bpm. And heart rate is a good guide to fitness. I"m a bit of a freak with a resting heart rate of 34, but it is usually in the low 40's, checked yesterday and I was at 59 to 60. So I'm starting back doing cardio this week, want to feel fit again.

Let me refraze what I last said. Squats don't give your heart any endurance under stress. Cardio does, I'm not all for it, I just don't see how so many people can deny that's it's good for your heart and shouldn't be completely neglected.

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I like to jog at least once a week, but that's just cuz I get bored sometimes, lol.
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

Wannabebig Member
    does cardio(jogging/running) ever lead to muscle wasteing?

Originally posted by alwayz
    does cardio(jogging/running) ever lead to muscle wasteing?
    yes, Sir, it sure does - especially when you do it for over an hour.
    Remember, you can overtrain by doing cardio just like you can working out.

Does anyone know what sort of ratio of fat to muscle to food in your system the average person burns while doing cardio?

3:16
    cardio helps.
    but you can do well with out it.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Does anyone know what sort of ratio of fat to muscle to food in your system the average person burns while doing cardio?
    I don't know but i also have a question:

How many atoms of 235U must undergo fission to operate a 1.0 X 10(to the 3rd) MW power plant for one day if the conversion efficiency is 30.0 percent? Assume 208 MeV released per fission event.

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    Originally posted by Kayak_boy
    I think you should do some cardio. I'm on a bulk at the moment and have stopped cardio for about 2 months and my resting heart rate has risen nearly 20 bpm. And heart rate is a good guide to fitness. I"m a bit of a freak with a resting heart rate of 34, but it is usually in the low 40's, checked yesterday and I was at 59 to 60. So I'm starting back doing cardio this week, want to feel fit again.
    If your heart rate spikes more than 10-15%, it could be a sign of overtraining...your body working hard to repair itself. Or you could be coming down with something and your immune system is on high gear.

My trainer requires me to check my resting heart rate every morning as one monitor of overtraining...it has been most educational.

And oh, I liek cardio

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

Originally posted by IceRgrrl

If your heart rate spikes more than 10-15%, it could be a sign of overtraining...your body working hard to repair itself. Or you could be coming down with something and your immune system is on high gear.

My trainer requires me to check my resting heart rate every morning as one monitor of overtraining...it has been most educational.

And oh, I liek cardio
    You are very correct in saying that your heart rate being elevated can be a sign of overtraining, lack of recovery from a previous session, illness etc, but if it rises over the period of a few months then it is a good sign of where you are at fitness wise. I know I'm not aerobically fit at the moment and my heart rate shows that.

Originally posted by TripleP

How many atoms of 235U must undergo fission to operate a 1.0 X 10(to the 3rd) MW power plant for one day if the conversion efficiency is 30.0 percent? Assume 208 MeV released per fission event.
    Fission doesn't even approach a 30% conversion efficiency.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

It was Just a question, afterall there ARE a lot of smart people on this board.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 07-15-2002 at 10:27 PM.

It was Just a question, afterall there ARE a lot of smart people on this board.
    like PowerMan