Thread: Cheap ass Casein - Make your own Greek Yogurt

Cheap ass Casein - Make your own Greek Yogurt

If you use casein protein powder often and are looking to save some money, look into making your own Greek Yogurt. I love Greek yogurt but it's expensive as hell, almost twice as much as normal yogurt or cottage cheese. I always knew it was pretty easy to make, so I finally tried it out this weekend and I'm damn glad I did.

Half a gallon of milk makes about 2 - 3 cups of greek yogurt depending on how much you strain it, which comes out somewhere around ~60 grams of protein. I know milk prices differ, but I can get a gallon for about $1.40 here at Costco, so we're talking 70 cents for ~60 grams of protein, which is cheaper than even boneless chicken breast from a protein/$ ratio.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Care to run through the actual process of creating it? I get the straining part, but if you could tell me the tools and the steps that would be awesome.
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

You'll need milk, cheesecloth (if you plan on making greek style), a candy thermometer, and something to use as a starter culture. You can buy starter cultures online, or you can just buy a small container of plain yogurt from the store. The most important part is you get something with live active cultures and no added preservatives. I used Chobani Greek yogurt as my starter. Milk can be any fat %, obviously if you use something like whole milk your yogurt will be creamier/tastier.

1. Heat 1/2 gallon milk slowly until it reaches 180 degrees F.

2. After it reaches 180 degrees, remove from heat and allow the milk to cool to anywhere between 100 - 115 degrees. I placed the pot in the sink and filled the sink with gold water to cool it down faster.

3. Once the milk has cooled to at least 115 degrees, add 4 tablespoons of whatever you're using as the starter. Whisk until the starter is fully incorporated into the milk.

4. Cover/Seal the milk and incubate for 8 - 12 hours. There's many different ways to do this, some people wrap the pot in a blanket and put it in the oven with the oven light on. I put the milk into mason jars and then placed those into a cooler filled with hot water. (From what I've read, the longer you let it incubate, the tarter your yogurt will be. I left mine for about 9 hours and it tasted great.)

5. After incubation, drain off the whey which has now separated, and place the yogurt in the fridge. It will take a few hours to fully set up.

To make greek yogurt, line a strainer with cheesecloth and fill with your yogurt. Place this into a second larger bowl so there is room for the liquid to drain. Some people pull the corners up and squeeze some of the liquid out. This can be kind of messy, so I just wrapped up the yogurt well, and then placed something heavy, like a glass bowl on top so there's a little pressure to help push extra liquid out. All the yogurt to strain for a few hours in the fridge. Just check it every couple hours to see if it's thick enough for your liking.
    Last edited by Invain; 12-04-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Thank you good sir. But with step number four, how you do manage to keep the water warm for 9 hours?
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

It'll stay warm enough in the cooler. Just make sure you use water as hot as you can get it out of your tap when you first fill it.

Sounds interesting... but here in western pa a gallon of milk is about 3.50 on average.