Thread: Just got my new Whey protein supplement. When should I use it for best results?

Just got my new Whey protein supplement. When should I use it for best results?

I've finally acquired a Whey protein tub after almost 8 months of going with zero supplements, basically since I got interested in strength training.

I've used Whey before(shitty, cheap one) but don't quite remember when the optimal times are to consume it. I'm thinking maybe directly after a sesh and possibly even first thing in the morning to get that shit right into the muscles after a lengthy fast.

I weigh about 185(think?)lbs. I usually drink lots of milk throughout the day, especially directly after workouts(will use whey+water from now on) and directly before bed. My brother said that right now all I need is 1 heaping scoop after my sesh and maybe in the morning. Does that sound about right?

The supplement is Whey gold standard by ON(optimum nutrition or some shit like that) incase anyone is wondering.

Thanks.

The only time there's really much of a benefit of using whey as opposed to whole foods is post workout.

What does the rest of your diet look like? How much meat, eggs, etc. are you eating? Since you're only 185 pounds and most likely not extremely lean, you're probably already getting enough protein from your diet.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    The only time there's really much of a benefit of using whey as opposed to whole foods is post workout.

What does the rest of your diet look like? How much meat, eggs, etc. are you eating? Since you're only 185 pounds and most likely not extremely lean, you're probably already getting enough protein from your diet.
    Sup

My diet consists of shit like eggs 30-60mins after training, usually 4 whole eggs. Lots of milk, I'd say at least 1 litre a day including post workout. I usually have some sort of meat for dinner every day, I'm a meat guy. I like some heavy ass carbs for my dinner also. Peanut butter throughout the day and 1hr pre workout. Lots of bananas too.

That's basically what I eat. I don't do the whole new foods all the time shit.

One more thing. What qualifies as lean/leanish? I'm not an expert on this, but I can still see my abs well enough so how lean would that be? Around 6ft too

What qualifies as lean/leanish? I'm not an expert on this, but I can still see my abs well enough so how lean would that be?
    Flexing or not flexing?

Also, for future reference, questions like this would be more suited to the diet/nutrition or supplement forums.

Quote Originally Posted by tom183 View Post
    Flexing or not flexing?

Also, for future reference, questions like this would be more suited to the diet/nutrition or supplement forums.
    If I'm standing upright without flexing I believe I can't still see them abit. When flexing it's not like a 4 pack or anything either, still the 6 but it's been less and less apparent since I've gained weight over the last 7-8months( 30lbs+)

Edit: Admins please move this to the nutrition forum if you so wish, didn't even think to post it there in the first place
    Last edited by KJDANEXT0; 12-05-2012 at 12:52 AM.

At 6ft, 185 I'd be surprised if you're anything above the low teens but it's all guess work without a photograph. Even with one it would be only an estimate but, probably, a more accurate one.

Honestly there's not that big of a difference to be made by getting protein in shake form or in the form of food.

The bigger thing I see that you need to do is to become much more aware of your nutrition. Right now it seems like
    you have really no clue how many calories your eating and of those what the breakdown of fats/proteins/carbs are.

That's a good starting point, don't think you know what your eating... know what your eating.