The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Incline Bench???

I've had bad shoulders for many years and have done very little over the course of the last several years to improve my shoulder strength due to pain and limited mobility. Recently I have been trying to address my shoulder weakness using light isolation movements like lateral raises. My bench has been improving lately and I think this may have something to do with it. Given this, I was thinking about adding in incline presses as a major focus for my assistance work. How many people do incline press and does it benefit your flat bench? Could it be beneficial to someone like me?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

inclines are great, close grip inclines are even greater, given what you say in your history it might be an idea to start with dumbells! (flat or incline) for higher reps, will build your shoulders and stabiliser muscles nicely.
    Check out my training:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?144135-My-Log

My smolov blog '12 : start 475 - finish: 520
    http://jtrain-ing.blogspot.co.uk/

I'm not a huge incline fan. If you're going for shoulder strength, just do OH press. If you want to increase your flat bench, you need to, well, flat bench. I've never really noticed any carry over from incline to flat bench.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    I'm not a huge incline fan. If you're going for shoulder strength, just do OH press. If you want to increase your flat bench, you need to, well, flat bench. I've never really noticed any carry over from incline to flat bench.
    I think thats going to vary alot from person to person. I personally rarely do overhead presses because they just tear my right shoulder up and when I do them, I usually do them for sets of 5. I do work incline closegrip and incline presses. I think they have a carryover.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

I am a huge fan of incline pressing. It's great for improving bench strength and harder than flat benching. Less weight just as much benefit IMO.
    Whoever said "Good things come to those who wait" couldn't have amounted to much. If you want it get off your lazy ass and get it!!
    Proudly Sponsored by AtLarge Nutrition

Best raw lifts:
    Squat: 733
    Bench: 512
    Deadlift: 733
    Total:1951

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I have had good carryover with incline benching.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 12-07-2012 at 12:13 PM.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Definitely consider working in some dumbbell work as stated earlier. I also think it creates some nice stabilization. I dont notice a huge carry over from incline, however I love it for some of its other side benefits for me.
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

Thanks for the input guys. I was thinking of hitting incline as my main assistance exercise on my DE days. It sounds like the consensus is that it would be worth trying so I will.

As far as doing overhead presses, I can't put my arms over my head due to a shoulder dislocation and surgery to remove a ligament when I used to wrestle so overhead movements are out.

I get a huge carryover from Incline too.
    Best Raw Squatter and Sponsored by the Best AtLarge Nutrition, Titan, and APT.

Banned
    Inclines are great for chest developement and triceps stregnth. They are brutal on my shoulders, so they are a defibnite NO in my world. Even with DB they suck for me.

With your history, I wouldn't use them.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    Inclines are great for chest developement and triceps stregnth. They are brutal on my shoulders, so they are a defibnite NO in my world. Even with DB they suck for me.

With your history, I wouldn't use them.
    I'm curious why you say inclines are great for triceps strength?

I do agree about the shoulder issue though, and this is the main reason why I said I'm not a huge fan. I don't use a super wide grip and I still feel inclines put more stress right where the shoulders and pecs tie in together as compared to a normal flat bench.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    I'm curious why you say inclines are great for triceps strength?

I do agree about the shoulder issue though, and this is the main reason why I said I'm not a huge fan. I don't use a super wide grip and I still feel inclines put more stress right where the shoulders and pecs tie in together as compared to a normal flat bench.
    The range for Icline is bigger than Bench. The elbows drop way below the body and get a great stretch. The more the muscle stretches the harder it'll contract. Plus, a bigger range of motion.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    The range for Icline is bigger than Bench. The elbows drop way below the body and get a great stretch. The more the muscle stretches the harder it'll contract. Plus, a bigger range of motion.
    True, but don't confuse shoulder rotation with a greater ROM for the elbow. There might be a difference, but it is not great.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I started doing them last week. I'm starting really slowly with them. I worked up to a very easy set of 10 @ 225. I will probably stay at sets of 10 for a while and work up in weight a bit until it gets heavy then work down in reps and up in weight to a heavy set of 6 over the next couple of months and then switch to something different.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    True, but don't confuse shoulder rotation with a greater ROM for the elbow. There might be a difference, but it is not great.
    The elbow bends more on an Incline. I'm not confused about anything.