Thread: front squat vs back squat

Hybrid View

I wannabebig!

front squat vs back squat

is there some sort of benefit you get out of front squats rather then back squats or vice versa

i personally hate front squats but thats just me

Wannabebig Member
    Some people say it puts more emphasis on the quads. I haven't tried em myself so thats just what I've heard.

decease, RIP
    I love front squats I just have to much of a problem holding the weight. It's just very uncomfortable for my shoulders.
    big.

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    Front squats generally will force you to use your quads more than with a back squat. Also, some people find it easier to get the proper "depth" in their lowest position with front squats vs. back squats.

I know what you mean about the grip, big...try this (if I can explain it properly...would be SO much easier if I could show you).

With the bar in the rack, walk up to it and place your fingertips on the bar at the desired width. Then lift your arms from the shoulder, push your elbows under and around the bar while your fingertips slide around the bar until your elbows are way up and your palms are facing the ceiling or your face (your arms basically seem to rotate around the bar into this position).

At this point you should be able to lift the bar onto the "shelf" formed by the front of your shoulder and upper arm with the fingers just balancing it in place. If you keep your elbows way up, it should feel pretty secure and shouldn't take much work to hold it there. When I found the right position it was like "Wow! so THIS is how it's supposed to feel..."

GL!

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

Clean grip, like IceR said. It's the only way to go. I can't hold 315 in the conventional cross-arm cossack grip, but I just finished a set with 425 using the clean grip. The trick is, don't try to LIFT the bar with your arms. That's impossible. Use your fingertips to keep the bar close to your neck, and nothing else. The shoulder girdle should be supporting the weight.

Yes, the upright back position reduces glute/hamstring involvement. It's an excellent lift. Personally, I do them wider stance, but they're a brutal movement whichever way you slice 'em.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

that's easy to say when you're built like a fuckin rhino, but what about those of use who can't hold 425 lbs on our shoulder girdle
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

I just tried doing that discription of a clean grip but i think im screwing something up. Anyone know of any vids of people doing cleans ?
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

T'was to give an example.... if you're having difficulty holding the weight with a crossed-arm grip, try the clean grip. You may be amazed at how stable it is, and consequently how much weight you can heft with it. Granted, you need to develop some wrist flexibility, but it's well worth it.

and I'm more aesthetically pleasing than a rhino, thanks very much.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

I wannabebig!
    so with the right form and what not I should be doing more weight front squat?? don't wanna put on the same weight i've been doing with back squats and fall to the floor haha.. guess ill just have to experiment...

start light, always start light.
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

I love front squats, i haven't squatted normal for weeks.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    Originally posted by ryuage
    so with the right form and what not I should be doing more weight front squat?? don't wanna put on the same weight i've been doing with back squats and fall to the floor haha.. guess ill just have to experiment...
    Most people will use less weight with the front squat than the back squat...start light and feel it out. Remember that it's not the amount of weight, it's the *effect* of that weight on your body

I love front squats too!

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

I do both

I do feel the front squats in both my hamstrings and quads, but I go rock bottom on them and use a slightly wider than shoudler width stance, this allows me to stay more vertical

front squats kick a$$ !

Wannabebig Member
    Front squats are good for a change from the normal routine, but for maximum power and growth stick to back squats.
    Last edited by c-sharp minor; 08-08-2002 at 07:22 AM.

Originally posted by c-sharp minor
    Front squats are good for a change from the normal routine, but for maximum power and growth stick to back squats.
    I disagree in regards to power. When front squat max goes up, so does the power clean, snatch and vertical jump. Not always so with the back squat. Not much quad simulation in the back squat, its mainly lower back and glutes, plus some hams for me.

Form is much better in front squats too, you can't do em wrong., the bar placement ensures that. Back squats well - I've seen some of the worse techniques in my gym, most people tend to good morning the bar up.

One thing though with back squats - even the subtle change in form can effect how the move goes. If you start the move with you butt first you sit back and you'll feel your hamstrings stretch, more effort in yoru butt and your shins stay pretty vertical.
    If you start the move with your knees bending first you go more directly downwards and the knees move forwards more, and this is mroe quad heavy in feel. The later is best for athletes and bodybuilders. The former is what powerlifters tend to do,

I actually learnt the first style by accident and I've been squatting like this for a while. Now its time to change my form to the later because I don't like the butt heavy feel and hamstring stretch of this form, which tends to make me lean too far forward
    Last edited by Blitzforce; 08-08-2002 at 04:27 PM.