Thread: Bench press + shoulder pain: rotator cuff?

Bench press + shoulder pain: rotator cuff?

A couple months back I started getting pain in my left shoulder around the deltoid. I thought I was just pushing myself too hard (Was doing assisted dips and was really wanting to be able to do a full set of body weight dips without assistance before summers end). I took a break from the gym because I also hurt my forearm and anything that required a grip would cause pain in my forearm.

The forearm pain is gone and I've been back but the pain in my left delt region is still there when benching. I notice that if I tuck in my arms when benching I have less/no pain. Can't lift as much doing this.

Anyways, I plan on going in again today and will ask the trainer to take a look at my form and give me his opinion. Would changing to incline or decline put less strain on the delts?
    Ban Censors Donít Let ___ Stop___
    Love Your Enemies - It Really Messes with Their Minds

Wannabebig Member
    try dumbell press lying on your back on the floor it will limit your range of motion but it is the safest way it should help you get back into the swing of things
    "Be careful when quoting from internet sorces you cant always be sure they are authentic"

Abraham Lincoln
    Another cool forum www.kickassforums.com

above is a great suggestion! you can also use a barbell and do a normal floor press with the same effect, how much rowing/upper back work do you do in your training?
    Last edited by J L S; 09-03-2012 at 06:04 AM.
    Check out my training:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?144135-My-Log

My smolov blog '12 : start 475 - finish: 520
    http://jtrain-ing.blogspot.co.uk/

Cable rows/Dumbbell rows x 2 per week (Mon and Fri)
    Shoulder press x 1 per week (Wed)

nice, id try upping the volume then (supposed to do twice as much volume for rows as you are pressing- lats and upper back are big in benching as stabilisers), or maybe some direct rear delt/rotator cuff work. Taking a look at your form is also a great step because thats something that can be adressed easily. good choice.

I had a horrible problem with my right shoulder, but i put alot of attention into warming my shoulders up properly and doing some direct rotator cuff work before bencing and squatting, and it swiftly went away. Id rather spend 5-10 minutes at the start of my session strengthening a delicate area than not being able to bench for the rest of your life if it is a rotator cuff problem best to sort it out sooner rather than later!

best of luck buddy!
    Check out my training:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?144135-My-Log

My smolov blog '12 : start 475 - finish: 520
    http://jtrain-ing.blogspot.co.uk/

Just an update for those that might suffer similar issues:

I took it easy on my shoulder for a while. When I went back to benching etc, the pain was still there but milder. I decided to visit the chiropractor. He did some pushing and pulling. Felt more like a massage than anything else. He told me that if it still hurt, that I should not lift heavy for a while but that what he did should've sorted out the problem. I went to the gym the same day and there was absolutely no pain at all. It was like night and day, amazing really. No issues since then.

I asked for some details into what he had done. He basically said that when putting the kind of stress we put on our bodies in the gym, stuff can become misaligned. For some, things can go back after a bit of rest, for some like me it takes a bit more. He said he put things in the right place. The language spoken here isn't my native tongue so I didn't get all of it, but it was interesting nonetheless. Hope this helps some others.