The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Is a power rack all you need to lift?

My goal is to just in general be strong and fit. I've been doing starting strength for a year so far and I'm squatting 225, benching 165, and deadlifting 180. I've been doing the program for so long because I get sick or just don't go to the gym for long periods cuz of school and so I try to get my gains back before moving on to another program. I'm thinking of moving onto 5x5 once I get my gains back.

So, I'm thinking of starting a home gym with just a power rack. Will it be enough for my training in the years to come? Or am I better off with a gym membership? I'm mainly getting a rack because its the same as a years worth of membership and is more worth it in the long run.

THanks!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by huhjunn View Post
    My goal is to just in general be strong and fit. I've been doing starting strength for a year so far and I'm squatting 225, benching 165, and deadlifting 180. I've been doing the program for so long because I get sick or just don't go to the gym for long periods cuz of school and so I try to get my gains back before moving on to another program. I'm thinking of moving onto 5x5 once I get my gains back.

So, I'm thinking of starting a home gym with just a power rack. Will it be enough for my training in the years to come? Or am I better off with a gym membership? I'm mainly getting a rack because its the same as a years worth of membership and is more worth it in the long run.

THanks!

thats all I had for a long time, although a cable attachment (high/low pulley) has its pluses. You will save a fortune in the long run if you sit down and do the math. Going to a gym isn't only gym membership, its gas to and from in your car and other expenses that all add up.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

I use a power rack with upper/lower cable and it has yet to hold me back.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah, some people are saying I'll want machines in the long run but I don't know if that's true. I see myself doing SS and the moving on to 5x5. But I'm worried about the future and whether or not I'll need to get other machines to be fit.

I'm not a competitive power lifter or bodybuilder. I just do it casually for recreation, health, and physique.

Yeah, some people are saying I'll want machines in the long run but I don't know if that's true. I see myself doing SS and the moving on to 5x5. But I'm worried about the future and whether or not I'll need to get other machines to be fit.

I'm not a competitive power lifter or bodybuilder. I just do it casually for recreation, health, and physique.
    Worried about the future? I can't think of an exercise I can't do with my power rack and bench.
    Last edited by D-RAS03; 12-10-2012 at 01:56 PM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I'm mainly getting a rack because its the same as a years worth of membership
    I hope this isn't a stupid question but are you remembering to factor in the price of the barbell, bench, weights etc? Sounds like a very expensive gym membership if that's the case.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tom183 View Post
    I hope this isn't a stupid question but are you remembering to factor in the price of the barbell, bench, weights etc? Sounds like a very expensive gym membership if that's the case.
    Yup I am. The gym prices around here (North York (Toronto)) are steep.

Edit: Plus I save travel money and time.
    Last edited by huhjunn; 12-10-2012 at 03:17 PM.

If you can buy a power rack, bench, olympic bar and weights for the same price as a gym membership I'd definitely be going with the home gym.

Yes, a power rack and a barbell with weights is all you really need. More is good, but you can make due with just those things.

Your strength sucks for having lifted for a year even on an off. Starting Strength is really an inferior program.

Will you be able to stick with training if you get the rack?

David Herskovitz -IFBB PRO IFBB David H's Avatar
    If your goal is to just generally be strong and fit, then a rack with a barbell and some weights should be fine. A little creativity in your workouts goes a long way. You don't need all kinds of extra stuff.

The money spent on travel and gym memberships up north seem to be incredibly steep! I'm from Florida and from my standpoint, it is far less expensive to go with the gym membership route. Good thing I don't live up there....I might be forced to buy myself a power rack

Good luck!

As already answered, a cage, barbell and plates goes a long ways. My guess is the OP is limited on money and/or space. If that is the case I think the cage can keep you progressing for a year or so. After that you may need to expand the home gym.

Quote Originally Posted by IFBB David H View Post
    If your goal is to just generally be strong and fit, then a rack with a barbell and some weights should be fine. A little creativity in your workouts goes a long way. You don't need all kinds of extra stuff.

The money spent on travel and gym memberships up north seem to be incredibly steep! I'm from Florida and from my standpoint, it is far less expensive to go with the gym membership route. Good thing I don't live up there....I might be forced to buy myself a power rack

Good luck!
    Over time gym memberships start to add up. Home gym is always cheaper in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Yes, a power rack and a barbell with weights is all you really need. More is good, but you can make due with just those things.

Your strength sucks for having lifted for a year even on an off. Starting Strength is really an inferior program.

Will you be able to stick with training if you get the rack?
    C'mon Chris, say it how it is, don't sit on the fence! lol!
    Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

www.garethkpengelly.co.uk

Investing in a home gym is a good plan until you can afford a commercial gym membership, in my opinion.
    "Consistency is Key"

"Going to the gym is who I am"

"I'd rather be covered in sweat at the gym than covered in clothes at the beach."

Hit Craigslist. Cages/ plates, etc are usually pretty cheap to come by.

THanks!
    I started my home gym with a power rack, 300 lbs Olympic Weight set, adjustable bench, and set of light adjustable dumbbells.

Deciding which option will be the best for you really depends on a number of factors - how close the gym is to your home, your work/personal schedule, cost of the gym membership, interest in different training styles, etc.

If you can find a reasonably priced commercial gym it is always nice to have a membership, but having equipment at home can be good as well since you have the flexibility to train whenever you would like. If you decide to go the home gym route I would check Craigslist for used equipment since that will save you a significant amount of money.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com