The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Rockin' the midlife crisis xraygirl's Avatar
    I keep hearing two differing stories about fat-loss and eating when first getting up in the AM. Since one goes thru and extended period of time sans food, it would make sense to me to eat something as soon as I get up. But I read a post on MM.com that you should do cardio on an empty stomach as soon as you get up and then NOT EAT for about 45 min. after that to optimize the whole fat-burning thing. Which is the more correct thing to do? I mean, I would love to lose some bodyfat, but I have to live in this body for a few more decades and I want to do what's right for it.

Diana

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

No Beercan or Miss Abs, but I got something to add...

Although I also have read that cardio on an empty stomach can help the fat burning process, I have also read that it is better to supply the body with a small amount of carbs before cardio in the morning..

Now, why I do not know, and I will try and dig out where I read it from today, but it would make sense that the longer you go without food at night, the more your metabilism is going to be working against you in your goal of burning fat..

I guess there are arguaments for both ways, although I would be interested to hear what otheres have to say...

Hey hulk....what do you think you own the place ot something? LOL

I like to take some glutamine first....you could take some protein as well, if you're really worried about muscle loss...

Thanks guys! I guess I have to experiment and see which works best for me.

D.

The reason that it is best to cardio on an empty stomach is that there is not immediate blood sugar for your body to tap into for fuel, thus it must tap into the stuff on your butt to keep energy levels high.

So for fat it is best when done on an empty stomach so it can immediately go to work and used previously stored body fat for fuel.

As far as having a few little carbs prior to morning cardio, that just gives your body a reason to delay the fat burning process, because it will burn the sugars that where/are converted by the carbs first, and then the body fat. Doing this would/could/may mean you have to cardio longer to get the same benefits.

Glutamine: yes this is a good trick incase the body is very low on fuel ( if you are say a week or two out from contest condition, and concerned about losing any more muscle because the fat stores are already so low)Most of us are not in this type of condition so you can deciede if this is a technique you should/could/may want to use

So, those are my thoughts, from the streets...
    Abs

MissAbs
    Dieting is a Sport-Eat to Win!

www.MissAbs.com

Hardcore, what else?
    Miss Abs, i guess the question i have is- wouldn't the body use up stored glycogen and glyco stores in the liver and then after thats depleted, go use muscle tissue before it would tap into fat stores? I was always under the impression that the turnover for fat being used for fuel was too slow during cardio, weightlifing, and intense exercise.

I wouldn't worry about taking some protein or anything in the morning,most people only sleep for 8-9 hours,if you have had some protein the night before (preferabbly a mix of casien and whey)then you need not worry,the body will go through sequenece of events before it starts breaking down "muscle".

Look at the energy systems and how they effect the body.
    Short term
    Intermediate term
    Long term this where muscle breakdown can occur(look at marathon runners)

It has been said that it take the body around 10-12 hours before there is a dramatic breakdown of muscle.

Your body is always using all 3 groups(fat,protein,carbs)
    as a fuel source,it is the percentage that changes depending when and what type of exercise you do that will determine the outcome.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Hardcore, what else?
    From what I've seen a lot of people write(here and on MM) is that- do cardio in the morning....you'll burn fat stores. Well just like weightlifting, cardio first burns up glyco stores. So say you are doing cardio for about 30 min. I can probably say that just towards the end, most of the glyco stores are up. I don't think the fat stores were tapped into too much.

So what I'm basically saying is people probably aren't burning as much fat on an empty stomach in the morning as they think. It's just more of a constant calorie deficiency throughout the day the helps burn fat. Anyone see where I'm coming from?

If you are creating a caloric deficit, where are/ is that deficit coming from if there is no fuel in your body ?
    MissAbs
    Dieting is a Sport-Eat to Win!

www.MissAbs.com

*Beercan almost dons his arguing cap, but thinks better of it....

Remember, Abs... you can lead a horse to water....

Okay...now I just need to find it in me to drag my butt out of bed at 4:00 instead of 5:00 just to fit in some cardio...aaayyy. Thanks again...

D.

Hardcore, what else?
    Miss Abs, I dont know if i fully understand your question but i'll try. Say your body uses 300 cals for every 3 hrs just for daily function. By only consuming 250 calories every 3 hrs throughout the day is where the defecit comes from.

As for energy consumption, like Mac stated, depends on what type of activity and for how long. I'm still trying to get that out of you.

After thinking this through, I concluded that it depends on what caloric state a person is in that determines what is being used for fuel.
    -Cardio first thing in the morning without food in a hypocaloric state would probably use amino acids from muscle to a degree and fat.
    -While cardio first thing in the morning without food but in a hypercaloric state would be using stored glycogen from the day before.

I'm trying to figure this out for myself, not argue.

Paul, any ideas?

[Edited by degsta on 01-24-2001 at 01:29 AM]

I'll post more on this tommorrow,a good book to read is called "Exercise Metabilisim" It is a compelation of studies put together all about the effects that aerobic and anearobic exercise has on the systems.
    Bit of a hard read.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

The simple answer?

Your body is always using a combination of things for 'energy'. For ease of discussion, lets remove protein from the mix by converting it...

When your glucose levels run low, your body will convert protein to glucose in the liver... so lets just say you either use glucose (glycogen)/carbs or fat for energy.

Is that OK with everyone?

Good.

When you get up in the morning, on a diet, and do cardio, what happens? All of your systems need to use energy to function. all of your systems (except your brain) can run on fat or carbs (glucose/glycogen) - and they do.

Even when you are hypocaloric, you still have glycogen stored in your liver and in your muscles (unless you are keto dieting, which is another animal), and since you have it to use, your body will use it.

So, you get up, and get right on your treadmill. Will your body use more fat as a % of energy than it would had you eaten? Yes. Will it use some liver glycogen? Yes. Will it use some muscle glycogen? Yes.

Make sence?

In the grand scheme of things, it is far more important that you monitor your caloric defecit than it is you monitor when you do your cardio... since cardio is a pretty poor way to create a caloric defecit, anyway.

Hardcore, what else?
    Gotcha, thanks.