Thread: Squat combo

Squat combo

I'm just looking for a decent squat combo for an intermediate lifter. Just trying to see what all you use and why? Briefs, Suit, Wraps?

How much experience do you have in gear? I've always been a huge fan of Titan squat suits/briefs, so I would highly recommend them. For an intermediate lifter, you can go with 2ply briefs and single ply suit. I've used that combo before and liked it. I also added adjustable straps to my squat suit. IMO, going 2ply suit and briefs might be too much.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

I have almost 2 years in gear! Lots of singly ply (super Centurion) I also used a metal pro squatter with very good success. My raw squat is around 450-500. I was thinking of getting pro briefs or jack briefs and then trying to get a singly ply suit to go over.

I agree with Brian as that I think Titan is the best gear out there. But which ever you like, I think the 2 ply briefs and 1 ply suit is a very good combo. I did that at my last meet and I've been in gear for over 10 years. The 2 and 1 ply setup allowed me to keep my technique and form ideal all the way through the squat without having to fight the suit so much. Result was I squated more in that setup than I did going 2 ply /2 ply. Now if you can maintain ideal technique all the way through the squat with a 2 and 2 setup, you'd no doubt be able to squat more that way. But once the technique is compremized (even just a little) you give up pounds on your squat. I do hope to work my way back to the 2 ply and Multi (how ever many plies my new Boss actually is...not sure?). But until I can control it as well as Boss briefs and Super Centurion suit setup, I'll keep squatting that way on meet day (except for single ply meets of course). One more thing. If you are competing equipped I suggest wearing at least the briefs for almost every squat session. The briefs will let (make) you stay in your suited groove and it will all seem much more natural on meet day. Makes no sence to me to get used to 2 different squat grooves until it's time to do a raw meet if you compete both ways like I do.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    I'll be the odd ball here and say canvas.

Where you're at a loose canvas and tighter briefs would be my pick.
    When I started at frantz's I was squatting around 500, had just hit 425 in a raw meet, playng with mid-5's in single ply gear.
    Ernie put me in a pair of light briefs and a canvas and in 6 months I hit a 738 squat in a meet and several over 8 in the gym ( tried 804 in that meet, reds for depth).

A lighter set of briefs under a canvas would be forgiving and allow you to just change out briefs or tighten them when you get in to some bigger weights and grow in to the suit more. The canvas is a lot more forgiving for weight fluctuations as long as it's not crazy tight to begin with. It'll stop you however you dial in the straps, then just pick how much rebound you want from your briefs. Under a canvas anything but Metal is good ( I like the stopping power of metal gear, but you don't need it under canvas).... I prefer Overkill gear, but for a newer guy I'd start just looking through the classifieds for what's cheap. Speaking of which, that canvas will last you as long as you stay in your weight class. The suit I just used to PR last week is from early 2009 and is as good as ever.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

More importantly, do you have partners that have gear experience?
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Yes. I do I dont get to workout with them as much as I'd like till around meet time.