Thread: cc: of an email I sent to a friend's son

Member of the 1200 Club Johnny Vegas's Avatar

cc: of an email I sent to a friend's son

A friend's son will be a three sport varsity athlete this coming school year and is hoping to attract some pro/college scouts. In this effort, he's asked me to assist him with some "core" training. Here's a paste of the email I sent him detailing what we'd do. Feel free to pick it apart as you wish.

The goals of our training will be to improve functional flexibility, strength, power, agility and speed. The eight levels of our training include:

1. SROM

Static range of motion (SROM) is one area of warm-up. SROM is defined as the range of motion around a joint or series of joints. Although there is no proven connection between joint looseness and athletic performance, SROM is a component of total warm-up.

2. DROM

Dyanmic range of motion is the second phase of warm-up. DROM incorporates fundamental movement skills such as laterality, forward back, up-down, spatial awareness, kinesthetic awareness and dynamic balance.

3. Core Stabilization Training

The core should be emphasized prior to extremity strength. The power zone, another name for the core, is the link between the upper and lower body. The core can be trained using bodyweight alone or by adding external resistance (load) through the use of various implements.

4. Neuromuscular Stabilization Training

Neuromuscular efficincy enables an athlete to maintain their balance during movement. NST drills use bodyweight to external resistance, double leg to single leg and stable to unstable surfaces in a progression from simple to complex.

5. Strength Training

Strength Training exercises are primarily free weight exercises. Strength Training follows a progression within the unit from very basic to very functional exercises. Emphasis i again on exercises in combination using various planes of movements while stimulating the body's proprioceptors. The six levels include: Complex, Contrast I, Hypertrophy, Intensity, Contrast II and Velocity Training.

6. Reactive Neuromuscular Training

RNT includes throwing and jumping drills that use the elastic qualities of muscle. RNT is more commonly known as plyometrics. The force of gravity is used to store energy as the athlete hits the ground, followed by an immediate recoil by the muscles to propel the body. Care must be taken to teach proper landing on a full foot, and landing with stability. Plyometrics used correctly will improve the athlete's upper and lower speed and power.

7. Lateral, Multiple & Vertical Speed & Agility

The lateral speed & agility (LSA) unit incorporates special and specific drills to replicate movements found in athletics. Movement patterns are multidimensional, multiplanar and proprioceptively enriched. These drills are bodyweight alone, or bodyweight combined with elastic cords, medballs, plyoboxes or commercial apparatus.

8. Speed

Speed can be defined as movement at a constant rate. The program used to improve speed technique is one modeled after that developed by McNair and Korchemny. Areas of speed development include Speed Technique, Speed Conditioning, Sprint Loading, Sport Speed and Overspeed Training.

So let me know. I'm free in the mornings but have to be at the course in the afternoons. If this sounds interesting to you, let me know and we can start whenever you're ready. Thanks!

--
    John *****

I'm going to bed so I'll sift through it tomorrow.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Excellent. I'll look forward to it.

blatant bump

Gonnaget Bigger
    Sounds really good.
    What three sports is he participating in?

Also, you don't list any specific exercises.

I'll check back.

He's lettering in football, basketball, and volleyball. I don't list any specific exercises because with the exception of strength training, I don't know that there are any universal names for the exercises to be performed.

Interesting set up, not too different from the "vogue" training for sports seen nowadays. In fact, it reminds me a lot of Jay Schroeder's Evo-Sport and John Davies' Renegade Training.

Though I think I've got a good idea of what you're getting at, it might not hurt to post an example of a training week for everyone to glance over.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Gonnaget Bigger
    I'd like to see what a week or two would look like.

I forgot to ask the dimensions on your friends son.

What positions does he play?

I'll create a sample "routine" this evening. As far as his dimensions, he's about 6'6" and weighs probably 225ish. He's a QB for football, plays the 4 spot in basketball and is a swing hitter in volleyball. He's tall and lean. I imagine the average Joe would consider him strong. He has a hell of a long ball off the tee when he golfs, I can tell you that much.